Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 12,741 to 12,760 of 17,453

Octane

@Operative2-0 It's a chicken and egg situation. The people that care about those games aren't on Nintendo systems and the games aren't on their systems because the audience isn't there.

Octane

Operative2-0

@Octane I'd argue that for this specific game it's just more of the chicken. If the question was should the new shooter IP "Lesstiny" come to the switch and its the first game in a franchise then yeah I'd be disappointed if it wasn't coming. But since this is a sequel, there's just no real point to wanting it on the switch. I suck at explaining things but I hope that makes sense

Operative2-0

Peek-a-boo

LeRaposa wrote:

So, is anyone to acknowledge that Destiny 2, one of the biggest games of the year, isn't coming to the Switch?

Those who 'realistically' predicted to see Destiny 2 on the Nintendo Switch in the (unrealistic) E3 expectations thread on here actively disagreed with me when I said that it would never, ever see the light of the day on the Nintendo Switch!

Neither will Star War Battlefront II, neither will Red Dead Redemption 2, neither will Call of Duty: WWII, neither will the new Assassin's Creed that's going to be set in Egypt, and so on and on and on.

Some folks like to make fools of themselves, I guess?

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

KirbyTheVampire

@Peek-a-boo I think some people are still caught up in the days when people thought the Switch would be a portable PS4 with tons of AAA third party games.

KirbyTheVampire

LeRaposa

@Peek-a-boo I don't know why some people still cling to this idea that third parties will return to Nintendo. That's just not a realistic scenario.

LeRaposa

Whitewatermoose

@LeRaposa

They have to. If not Nintendo is doomed to repeat the Wii U albeit with better sales.

If third parties don't come willingly, Nintendo will need to money hat some ports.

Whitewatermoose

Nintendo Network ID: whitewatermoose

DefHalan

Nintendo should embrace backwards compatibility like Microsoft. Sure it isn't the best, but it is better than nothing, free, and encourages people to still buy older games.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

TheLZdragon

backwards compatibility in what regard? The Switch and the previous systems are hardly the same.

Nintendo Life Community Administrator

Splatoon 2 Rank: TBD
Switch Username: LzWinky
Switch Friend Code:

My Eeveeloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Whitewatermoose

@DefHalan It would be very difficult since it is different architecture.

@KirbyTheVampire

I'm the opposite of you, I think Nintendo fans would EAT UP Destiny. Teen rated games should do great with Nintendo fans. Games like Destiny, Overwatch, Garden Warfare, Battlefront, and even a game like Borderlands even though M rated, scream Nintendo.

I know this flies in the face of conventional wisdom, but I even think a Destiny 1 complete Edition this Fall would sell well on Switch. Even with Destiny 2 releasing. A mobile Destiny 1, I think would do very well.

Whitewatermoose

rallydefault

LeRaposa wrote:

@Peek-a-boo I don't know why some people still cling to this idea that third parties will return to Nintendo. That's just not a realistic scenario.

Third parties will return, just not with the exact same versions of their AAA franchises that you're gonna see on PS/Xbox/PC.

But if the Switch sells like flapjacks on a Friday morning, you don't realistically think Ubisoft will pull some strings to get SOME kind of Assassin's Creed on the system, even if it's very different (perhaps super pared down) from the PS/Xbox cousins?

I'd argue I want some of what you're smoking if you don't think that's a likely scenario.

Anyway, the Destiny 2 thing.... people actually thought that was going to be on the Switch?!

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Operative2-0

@Whitewatermoose It can't be mobile though. The game is designed to be always online for things like random public events. If they made an offline version it just wouldn't work.

Operative2-0

DefHalan

@Whitewatermoose Isn't that the case with Xbox One to Xbox 360?

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

LeRaposa

@Whitewatermoose Oh definitely. Nintendo should open up their wallet and start paying third parties to port their games. The Switch isn't getting any third support from Western or Japanese developers. There's absolutely no reason why the Vita is getting the new Digimon game instead of the Switch. It's just baffling to see the Switch lose out on JRPG's to the freaking Vita.

LeRaposa

Whitewatermoose

@Operative2-0

I don't understand why always online games can't be on Switch. It just means you can't play it when online isn't available. DQX is an online mmo, and Splatoon requires online for multiplayer.

I don't see a problem. If you tell people they must be online to play, people will understand.

Whitewatermoose

Operative2-0

@Whitewatermoose Well you implied the selling point would be mobile destiny, I just wanted to clairfy that it couldn't be mobile. At least, not outside of Wi-fi areas lol

Operative2-0

IceClimbers

Funny that the Virtual Console service and AAA third party support both came up. They both suffer from the same root problem actually: lack of ROI.

That's why AAA 3rd parties don't support Nintendo platforms, and why that will always be an issue with Nintendo platforms in the future. Even if the Switch does get a large install base, you most likely still won't get major AAA support because not enough of that base will buy those games for it to be worth it.

VC? There's a reason why the Wii U VC had less systems supported, way less 3rd party titles across the board, and why Nintendo went with that slow, painful trickle. They didn't get that ROI on the Wii VC. Simple as that.

With Switch, I can totally see them going in a different direction with the service, as it's clear they're not getting the returns they want/need from the service as it stands now. The "VC" branding will probably be dropped honestly. If the service stays largely the same as it is now, then you can fully expect it to be worse than the Wii U VC was.

People say that one of Nintendo's biggest strengths is their backlog, yet the data from the VC service likely doesn't support that. If Nintendo truly wants to take advantage of their backlog, they need to release them on iOS/Android/Steam. Or do more of the Classic Edition series, but not treat it as a novelty item.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Whitewatermoose

@LeRaposa

I actually think Nintendo should be money hatting ports or third party games. Maybe not the way people are thinking.

Should Nintendo consider popular older games as a port if they can't get new games? Not all, but some! IMO Yes!
Shooters:

• BLOPS 2, Bad Company 2, Borderlands 2, Garden Warfare, Timesplitters 2,
    RPG:
  • ME trilogy HD, Digimon, Trails of Cold Steel, Fallout NV w/ mods, Oblivion HD port, South Park Stick of Truth, Persona 4 Golden, Persona 5,
    Sports:
  • Madden, WWE, Fire Pro Wrestling, and NHL
    Family:
  • Sonic Colors, Generations, Sonic Racing Transformed collection, Crash Collection,
    Racing:
  • Trackmania, Need for Speed, Dirt,
    Action/Adventure:
  • Bioshock, Tomb Raider, RE/Dino Crisis, Turok, Nier, Twin Snakes HD, Batman

Nintendo will NEVER win the third party race. So what about Paying for HD ports or cleaned up versions of PS360 games and older games. YES!!! Not many but maybe four or so a year.

Also consider HD remakes older games if they can get them on the cheap. Snatcher, Ken Griffey Baseball, Quest for Glory, Kotor, PowerStone, Daytona Racing, Contra are just a few examples that come to mind.

Just be strategic and get a variety of different types of popular older games and mix with a few new third party ports you do get, and Nintendo first and second party. You have a STRONG catalog of games. EVERGREEN GAMES, Everywhere! You don't need the most games, one new physical release a week, plus indie, and digital.

Edited on by Whitewatermoose

Whitewatermoose

skywake

BigBadJohn wrote:

If someone buys BoTW on Wii u they won't get a free copy when they make the switch.

Breath of the Wild is probably the one example of a retail game where it probably would have made sense. Remember the transition from PS3 to PS4 where Sony gave you a "free upgrade" for some of the late PS3 releases to the PS4 version? That wasn't done because the PS4 version was "free" to make. It was done because it gave Sony some good press and gave people more of a reason to buy a PS4.

If you have Breath of the Wild on Wii U now you have no reason to get a Switch. As it stands the only game worth getting on Switch right now is BotW, if you have it on Wii U you already have it and you've tied yourself to that decision. But if buying it on Wii U gave you a copy on the Switch tied to your Nintendo Account? You're not penalised for buying it on Wii U.

The only legit reason I can see for them not doing it is that there's no way to track physical purchases. The only way they could do it for physical releases is if they had the foresight to put a download code in the box. And you just know that the code would end up on eBay. Either that or do what Microsoft tied to do and tie physical purchases to your account, yeah, that went well didn't it! But those problems don't exist with the VC, all of those games are 100% digital.

NEStalgia wrote:

Simple: Those games are running in an emulator (it even says so on the official FAQ) and not all games are supported as a result.

And this is different from the VC because..... ?

BigBadJohn wrote:

I bought sonic back in 1992 on the mega drive, Can I have that free of charge on the switch? Listen don't get me wrong I've spent a lot on VC and it'd be great to get them back for nothing to play on the Switch. However we are not automatically entitled to them. If you bought them on 3ds or the Wii u then keep playing them on them. That's what you paid for, not the right to transfer them to every Nintendo console from now till the end of time.

Well there's no way to prove you got Sonic in 1992 and when you did buy it you didn't buy it from Nintendo. So it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison. In terms of what we're "entitled to"? Well sure, 100% Nintendo doesn't have to give us these games we already brought on a new platform. They don't even have to offer a discount. All I'm saying is that it would make a lot of sense if they did offer these games for "free" to the people who already brought them.

What's in it for Nintendo? Three things.
1. It makes purchasing games on the VC more appealing, I'd buy more if I saw them do this
2. It's an incentive to upgrade. If they had done this with SNES games on the 3DS I would have got a New 3DS
3. It's good PR

What do they lose?
1. The money from the people who buy these games again and again....

Edited on by skywake

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, The Avalanches
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Whitewatermoose

[quote=IceClimbers

People say that one of Nintendo's biggest strengths is their backlog, yet the data from the VC service likely doesn't support that. If Nintendo truly wants to take advantage of their backlog, they need to release them on iOS/Android/Steam. Or do more of the Classic Edition series, but not treat it as a novelty item.

[/quote]

I agree. But I could see that rumor being true that older games are being reworked to add online multiplayer or add leaderboards. Smash Bros Melee with online, Contra 2 player with online, Donkey kong arcade with leaderboards, Super Mario Bros with leaderboards for points and speed runs, etc.

Whitewatermoose

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic