Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 12,741 to 12,760 of 15,869

Operative2-0

Let's just completely ignore that Microsoft is managing to give people their games from the 360 without going bankrupt. What sorcery they must be using. Truly a mystery that Nintendo could never solve.

Edited on by Operative2-0

Operative2-0

BigBadJohn

I bought sonic back in 1992 on the mega drive, Can I have that free of charge on the switch? Listen don't get me wrong I've spent a lot on VC and it'd be great to get them back for nothing to play on the Switch. However we are not automatically entitled to them. If you bought them on 3ds or the Wii u then keep playing them on them. That's what you paid for, not the right to transfer them to every Nintendo console from now till the end of time.

Edited on by BigBadJohn

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

NEStalgia

@Operative2-0 Simple: Those games are running in an emulator (it even says so on the official FAQ) and not all games are supported as a result. The hardware architecture isn't compatible but it has the horsepower to spare to emulate the older PPC, and the OS in both cases is just a Windows kernel so there's a fair level of existing compatibility. They are doing continued development of the emulator though, so credit to them spending resources on that.

WiiU did the same with Wii games running a full emulation mode including the OS itself, while the hardware shared similar architecture making it easy, and of course due to the same architecture worked on ALL games instead of some. The WiiU versions sold later were modified versions with WiiU features added in.

Switch for all its strengths is certainly not a machine you want to be running PPC emulation on and expect good results, and for WiiU games, we have to keep in mind that the Switch is less powerful than X1, and the WiiU is notably more powerful than the X360 (game journalists circa 2013 aside.)

PS4 can't emulate the Cell processor of the PS3 well, which was always more powerful and a lot more cryptic than either Wii or X360 and they've resorted to that awful steaming service as a substitute.

NEStalgia

Operative2-0

All I'm saying is Microsoft manages to manually make games backwards compatible, both physical and digital, and doesn't need to charge for them. They even have added benefits thanks to the xbox ones advanced power. Literally all people are asking for is, if the game is exactly the same as the one they bought on the wii u or 3DS, to not pay for them again. I'm not saying that doesn't cost anything for Nintendo, but there is always going to be a market buying them for the first time on the switch, which I'm more than sure would cover the costs. If they add in additional features then yeah, charge an upgrade fee or full price again. But if it's nothing improved and they want full price despite buying the game on wii, wii u, and even 3DS,i just find it indefensible. This time around you won't even get miiverse support. So that excuse is out the window. The 3DS had the portability covered, so for many games that's also out the window. What's left?

Either way, it's hopefully a moot point since reggie hinted at some sort of upgrade program if I remember right.

Edited on by Operative2-0

Operative2-0

LeRaposa

So is anyone to acknowledge that Destiny 2, one of the biggest games of the year, isn't coming to the Switch?

LeRaposa

Operative2-0

I wouldn't expect it to, honestly. It would fail miserably, not to mention they've probably been working on it for ages, long before they got a switch dev kit.

Operative2-0

BigBadJohn

@LeRaposa Destiny 1 was an incredibly poor game. I'll say Thats just my opinion just to get people off my back but it was so dull. That thing cost more than most blockbuster movies and literally the dullest gameplay I have every experienced. I bought the day one download with the dlc pass from PlayStation store for about £80 and I dont think I played any of the expansion packs. After playing the main game I had more enjoyable things to do like repeatabley stabbing myself in the leg with a fork. That being said the graphics where quite good.

Edited on by BigBadJohn

SW-5512-0541-9236

GameOtaku

@BigBadJohn
We paid for a ROM. Not ports or remakes. Virtual Console is the emulation program. Yeah owning a 20 year old physical copy that cannot be played unless you have an original system or a retron does not entitle you to the rom that can be run on modern consoles. But one can make the argument that they will still be available for sale for those who didn't pick them up first time around, the 3rd party companies will get their money through the license and sell of the games. For example what's holding back Star Tropics from showing up on 3ds? Nothing. So the question is why. If they would simply allow releases to be simultaneous on all of their platforms we'd be a lot better off.

GameOtaku

Octane

@Operative2-0 Well, according to some, the Switch is the easiest to develop for, so that shouldn't be an issue

Octane

BigBadJohn

@GameOtaku Granted but that wasn't part of the agreement when you bought a game on virtual console. The agreement and intrinsic value was that you could play it on that console. It'll be great if they let us redownload them for free or with a small upgrade fee but they are under no obligation to do so. Plus if Nintendo are devoting time and effort to certain projects then let them be new games or enhanced versions. I'm coming at this from a particular standpoint as I hate retro gaming. They are never as good as I remember them and they sully my gaming memories.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Operative2-0

@Octane Even so, does anyone really think it'd do well? It's a sequel. And always online. So... Hah

Operative2-0

KirbyTheVampire

I don't think most people who play Nintendo games would be interested in a game like Destiny, lol.

KirbyTheVampire

GameOtaku

@BigBadJohn
I have to disagree. Modern gaming is awful, you get half complete games that need patch a dozen or more times to be playable, you are then charged for fun extras instead of unlocking them through gameplay, and the games are usually way to short for the price.

GameOtaku

Octane

@Operative2-0 It's a chicken and egg situation. The people that care about those games aren't on Nintendo systems and the games aren't on their systems because the audience isn't there.

Octane

Operative2-0

@Octane I'd argue that for this specific game it's just more of the chicken. If the question was should the new shooter IP "Lesstiny" come to the switch and its the first game in a franchise then yeah I'd be disappointed if it wasn't coming. But since this is a sequel, there's just no real point to wanting it on the switch. I suck at explaining things but I hope that makes sense

Operative2-0

Peek-a-boo

LeRaposa wrote:

So, is anyone to acknowledge that Destiny 2, one of the biggest games of the year, isn't coming to the Switch?

Those who 'realistically' predicted to see Destiny 2 on the Nintendo Switch in the (unrealistic) E3 expectations thread on here actively disagreed with me when I said that it would never, ever see the light of the day on the Nintendo Switch!

Neither will Star War Battlefront II, neither will Red Dead Redemption 2, neither will Call of Duty: WWII, neither will the new Assassin's Creed that's going to be set in Egypt, and so on and on and on.

Some folks like to make fools of themselves, I guess?

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

KirbyTheVampire

@Peek-a-boo I think some people are still caught up in the days when people thought the Switch would be a portable PS4 with tons of AAA third party games.

KirbyTheVampire

LeRaposa

@Peek-a-boo I don't know why some people still cling to this idea that third parties will return to Nintendo. That's just not a realistic scenario.

LeRaposa

Whitewatermoose

@LeRaposa

They have to. If not Nintendo is doomed to repeat the Wii U albeit with better sales.

If third parties don't come willingly, Nintendo will need to money hat some ports.

Whitewatermoose

Nintendo Network ID: whitewatermoose

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic