Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 11,781 to 11,800 of 69,964

KirbyTheVampire

Lethal wrote:

Well, the dock has officially started scratching my Switch screen. I do not see how Reggie can say this is not an issue when it clearly is. There are fine scratches on all 3 sides that slide in to the dock. I am a little pissed off about this....

Does your Switch have a screen protector? Just wondering, cause I'm not sure how well they actually work.

KirbyTheVampire

Lethal

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

Does your Switch have a screen protector? Just wondering, cause I'm not sure how well they actually work.

It finally shipped yesterday from Amazon. I tried to buy one when I bought my Switch but all the stores were sold already.

I can not believe the dock is scratching the screen. You would think Nintendo would have caught this as it does not take much use to start getting scratches.

BLP_Software wrote:

Plastic Scren scratches
Glass screen shatters

One will require immediate replacement, the other can be dealt with a screen protector.

Does it suck? Yes. Is it their fault: Maybe. The information is too spotty and in many cases is easily attributed to people being loud until a statistically significant proportion of the population of users with a Nintendo Switch has this issue exclusively due to average use with no other factors influencing the console position or damage.

Not blaming you, obviously, but until more evidence comes to light it cant be declared a problem.

Gorilla glass is what they should have used. I have owned the Galaxy Note 4-7 and never had an issue with my screen scratching. And I never owned a screen protector for those.

Edited on by Lethal

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

Octane

@BLP_Software Don't think the screen is the issue, the dock is. It could've used a little extra padding...

Octane

DarkRula

I'm surprised scratches on the screen from the dock are a thing considering I once forced the console into the dock reaching over the back of a sofa with the screen pretty much on the front edge all the way in.
Perhaps it really is a case by case issue.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

Haruki_NLI

@Octane They referred to the screen, I replied regarding the screen.

@Lethal Would've been a small additional cost. Probably wasn't worth it in the long run, and yeah maybe some dock padding would've been nice, but these are the decisions that were made.

I'm going to place a guess that the reason the dock doesn't have extensive padding is due to how the console itself deals with heat. Air goes in the back, the fan goes, air out the top right? That's all good. There is also a metal plate on the back that passively cools the system too. So the entire back of the system gets hot.

What would happen if you effectively added insulation to the small airway at the front of the system? Heat would be trapped, even marginally. That would present an entire slew of possible problems, that may or may not have been a deciding factor in the level of padding.

Also, you state you owned a Galaxy Note 7, correct? I ask you then: How many of those actually had a faulty battery that led to an incident? Did yours? I hope not, otherwise I'm sorry. I now ask: How many Switches have had scratches exclusively from the dock?

I know it's comparing fire to a scratch, but the point is: How many people actually had the issue out of all the people who had one?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

DefHalan

@rallydefault Seeing as how I am planning on buying a Switch, I am not anti-Switch. I am disappointed in the product and in the current software line up. Looking at the first 6 months for "Launch Window" we have Zelda, Mario Kart 8 port, Splatoon 2 (which I am not convinced isn't an enhanced port with more content, I haven't seen anything confirming a new story mode or anything that couldn't be done in Splatoon 1 with DLC), Arms (is that coming within 6 months, before September 3rd) and when Arms releases it won't be fully featured if I remember correctly, 1-2 Switch (not interested and I highly doubt it will be a massive success), and Sniperclips, probably the most unique looking game out of this launch window line up. There isn't much Nintendo software and while I can be tempted by 3rd Party software, I already have the most interesting ones coming to Switch on my computer. Nintendo holding back software for the Switch was part of normal conversation last year. I was just wondering what happened to all that software.

@JaxonH I will be surprised if Xenoblade Chronicles 2 makes it out of Japan this year. I am also thinking Super Mario Odyssey will release outside of the 9 month window. (after December 3rd) Fire Emblem is also a 3DS game, so I can just get it on that.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

JaxonH

@DefHalan
Well sure you could. And I'm not arguing for you to do one or the other- that's completely up to you. Although it should be noted that's just one game you can get on 3DS, and it's going to be significantly inferior in comparison (not just graphics wise and performance and resolution, but the fact it's strictly limited to a 4" handheld screen while Switch will be full console version playable as both console game or handheld). If that's perfectly ok with you... right on. But alot of people will probably rather have the Switch version. Hyrule Warriors on 3DS wasn't that appealing, and all those same advantages over it will be there again, only this time with the added advantage of getting an HD portable console version built in as well.

And Mario very well may release outside of the 9-month window, technically, but the point remains that, whether or not it falls a week past that deadline or not, it's just an arbitrary time span. Point being there's a lot of games releasing in a short span of time. I've heard more than one person sayou XC2 won't release this year... we'll see.

Whatever happens, I think that's the answer to your question though. It's basically going to be like Wii U release schedule only without all the droughts. The extra time they had seemingly went to stockpiling a good 6+ extra games to slide into the gaps and keep a steady release schedule for year 1 and beyond.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Lethal

BLP_Software wrote:

Also, you state you owned a Galaxy Note 7, correct? I ask you then: How many of those actually had a faulty battery that led to an incident? Did yours?

Man my phone was awesome. Worked like a champ! Didn't even get hot. But the batteries were made wrong and they didn't know the 2nd batch of batteries were made in a similar way. So I was forced to give my phone back because of the update they put out. It was the right choice by Samsung because all of the batteries had the ability to blow up. They know the exact cause so it should never be an issue again.

But the Switch could and probably should have a very thin lining to prevent scratches. Even very thin micro fiber would have been nice. But it is what it is at this point. It does not affect the viewing screen, just the outer black edges. But I know the scratches are there and it bothers me because I like to keep everything I own in flawless condition.

Edited on by Lethal

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

Gamer83

Managed to get a Switch! Bought Zelda and pre-ordered Mario Odyssey. Glad I was able to snag one, this is the most interested I've been in a Nintendo system since the original Wii.

Gamer83

DefHalan

@JaxonH I don't know. Hyrule Warriors was Superior on 3DS, lots more exclusive content. Not saying they will do the same thing again, but I don't know if you can discount it that easily.

You think that is a lot of software in a short amount of time. To me, it is meeting expectations if the company had been releasing that many games a year but Nintendo hasn't been releasing that many games. There haven't been any notable Wii U releases for about a year or a year and a half before Zelda.

JaxonH

@DefHalan
And the fact I'd still rather play the Wii U version despite less content speaks volumes to how much better the experience was. And, this time they'll be the same, so even that won't be an advantage.

And yes, I do think that's a lot. I can't name one single developer in the entire industry that's releasing that many games in that span of time. There's a limit to how much a company can make. And neither Wii U nor 3DS ever got that many first party releases in that span of time. Even in their heydays. I remember a port of DKC Returns, Luigis Mansion Dark Moon and Fire Emblem Awakening (think that was the 3? Pretty sure) all releasing in the first half of the year, and people going bonkers over what a great lineup it was. With Mario & Luigi Dream Team, and a couple others in the fall. And that was hailed as "3DS on a rampage". Course the quality of the games was a factor but still.

Alls I'm saying is, you don't see any droughts in the Switch lineup. Which wasn't the case with Wii U... or 3DS for that matter. That's where the games went... plugging those gaps we used to see.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Luna_110

The main problem I see now with the Switch is that its sold out and getting one is a pain. Why can't they have a normal production run?!

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

skywake

DefHalan wrote:

So where are all the games Nintendo was holding back from the Wii U for all these years?

Well lets run through some Wii U games and ask ourselves what those teams have been doing since. Probably the best way to do it.

New SMB U -> Probably split between other Wii U games
Nintendo Land -> Probably split between other Wii U games
Pikmin 3 -> No idea
Wind Waker HD -> Breath of the Wild
Super Mario 3D World -> Captain Toad/Super Mario Odyssey
Donkey Kong Country: TF -> No idea
Mario Kart 8 -> First the DLC and then the Switch port, so they're accounted for
Hyrule Warriors -> Fire Emblem Warriors
Smash Bros -> First the DLC and since then... No idea
Captain Toad -> Super Mario Odyssey
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse -> No idea
Mario Party 10 -> Probably 1-2 Switch and likely some other party games in the works
Splatoon -> DLC and then Splatoon 2
Super Mario Maker -> There was the 3DS port but outside of that? No idea
Yoshi's Woolly World -> No idea
Xenoblade Chronicles X -> Xenoblade 2
Twilight Princess HD -> Tantalus are porting Sonic Mania and Rime
Star Fox Zero -> No idea
Paper Mario: Color Splash -> No idea

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

IceClimbers

For the record, the Mario Kart team made ARMS and the Splatoon dev team is largely made up of the Animal Crossing team, which is why the Wii U didn't get a main series Animal Crossing game.

The biggest mystery really is what Retro Studios has been working on.

Edited on by IceClimbers

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Bolt_Strike

skywake wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

So where are all the games Nintendo was holding back from the Wii U for all these years?

Well lets run through some Wii U games and ask ourselves what those teams have been doing since. Probably the best way to do it.

New SMB U -> Probably split between other Wii U games
Nintendo Land -> Probably split between other Wii U games
Pikmin 3 -> No idea
Wind Waker HD -> Breath of the Wild
Super Mario 3D World -> Captain Toad/Super Mario Odyssey
Donkey Kong Country: TF -> No idea
Mario Kart 8 -> First the DLC and then the Switch port, so they're accounted for
Hyrule Warriors -> Fire Emblem Warriors
Smash Bros -> First the DLC and since then... No idea
Captain Toad -> Super Mario Odyssey
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse -> No idea
Mario Party 10 -> Probably 1-2 Switch and likely some other party games in the works
Splatoon -> DLC and then Splatoon 2
Super Mario Maker -> There was the 3DS port but outside of that? No idea
Yoshi's Woolly World -> No idea
Xenoblade Chronicles X -> Xenoblade 2
Twilight Princess HD -> Tantalus are porting Sonic Mania and Rime
Star Fox Zero -> No idea
Paper Mario: Color Splash -> No idea

We can probably narrow that down a bit actually. We know that Pikmin 4 is in development, probably by the same team that made Pikmin 3. It's also a virtual certainty that there's some kind of 2D Mario game in development, that's probably being made by the NSMBU team. HAL primarily works on Kirby, so the Rainbow Curse team is probably working on another Kirby game. The Color Splash team is probably working on either another Paper Mario game or Fire Emblem. The Smash team is probably working on a Smash port. That mainly leaves Retro, the Woolly World team, and the Star Fox Zero team as the remaining question marks.

The more interesting question is when, not what.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

IceClimbers

There's also Next Level Games, assuming they were working on another project alongside Fed Force.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

skywake

IceClimbers wrote:

For the record, the Mario Kart team made ARMS and the Splatoon dev team is largely made up of the Animal Crossing team, which is why the Wii U didn't get a main series Animal Crossing game. The biggest mystery really is what Retro Studios has been working on.

I'm still not convinced that Animal Crossing on Wii U wasn't in the works at some stage. I've just made this list to be as pessimistic as possible in that regard. The Splatoon guys have been working on Splatoon 2 so I'm just going to assume that's all they've been working on. I wasn't aware that the Mario Kart guys were working on ARMS either. But that's kinda the point isn't it, if the Mario Kart guys can port Mario Kart, develop DLC and still make Arms? The same thing could be happening with Animal Crossing and Splatoon. But that's just blind speculation on my part.

Bolt_Strike wrote:

We can probably narrow that down a bit actually. We know that Pikmin 4 is in development, probably by the same team that made Pikmin 3. It's also a virtual certainty that there's some kind of 2D Mario game in development, that's probably being made by the NSMBU team. HAL primarily works on Kirby, so the Rainbow Curse team is probably working on another Kirby game. The Color Splash team is probably working on either another Paper Mario game or Fire Emblem. The Smash team is probably working on a Smash port. That mainly leaves Retro, the Woolly World team, and the Star Fox Zero team as the remaining question marks. The more interesting question is when, not what.

Probably. But there's still the very strong possibility for surprises. If you had asked me in early 2014 what Nintendo was working on currently? I would have guessed they were making Animal Crossing Wii U, Zelda Wii U, A Mario Galaxy style Mario, Metroid and that they'd soon be working on Mario Kart 9 for whatever portable system they currently had in the R&D stage. I would have been about half right. I wouldn't have guessed Splatoon, Arms or Super Mario Maker

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Gamer83

I wasn't sure about the Switch at first either but finally did some more research into it and felt now is the time to jump on board because this thing is going to be tough to find especially since the first few months look better than I remember Wii U's, 3DS' or even the original Wii's and Gamecube's first few months were (bought GC, 3DS and Wii and didn't think any had spectacular starts but Wii was saved by Zelda and the Virtual Console until Super Paper Mario arrived and kicked things off properly for the post-launch lineup).

March - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Has-Been Heroes
April - Lego City Undercover, Mario Kart 8, Puyo Puyo Tetris
May - Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers, Disgaea 5: Complete

Then factor in the e-shop with stuff like Blaster Master Zero, Fast RMX and the Shovel Knight games already out and Shakedown Hawaii and Rime on the way soon and that's a hell of a start. Then there's the second half of the year with Splatoon 2, Sonic Mania, NBA 2K, ARMS and hopefully capped with Super Mario Odyssey and an improved Virtual Console and this thing is going to be lit this year. Xenoblade 2 is probably a ways off but that also looks phenomenal. I've been saying I'd be shocked if this system doesn't at least match 3DS sales and I think that's being conservative. With Nintendo's first party teams no longer having to focus on two systems as long as they remain on track and third parties deliver a No More Heroes here, Monster Hunter and Bayonetta there, the Switch could easily match Wii sales when it's all said and done.

Been a long time, but it's nice to be legitimately excited about Nintendo again, the industry is better when Nintendo is relevant and there's no reason to believe there will be extended droughts of software like Wii U and even 3DS had.

Gamer83

martinskrtel37

the dock isn't scratching the screen.... YOU ARE. people must be sliding it out on an angle or something. just lift it up and out, horizontally, without scraping the front (don't lean it forwards when pulling just normally pull UP) and you'll be fine. i have ONE tiny hairline scratch that i can't even see without really looking. can't people just slide it out normally

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

DefHalan

@JaxonH does Nintendo produce as many games as Microsoft or Sony a year? I don't know, I haven't looked it up.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic