Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 11,741 to 11,760 of 69,983

gcunit

rallydefault wrote:

Good for you, Jimmy - you go ahead and play the inferior version of the game. Make sure you hit that keyboard real hard as you're typing out your reassurances to yourself - it'll almost make you feel ok about it deep down.

As hard as you were writing that to reassure yourself that it was worth buying into the Switch so early, you mean

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

BigBadJohn

I think most people will naturally try to defend their purchase as they don't want to look foolish having shelled out so much money. That said as I have had 80 hours of pure joy on zelda, had a couple of really fun evenings playing snipperclips with the mrs and swear that at some point I'm actually going to properly play bomberman I can wholeheartedly say it's was worth picking up a switch Day One. I think this console has the potential to be one of the greatest consoles ever. I stress potential as it all depends what happens between now and Christmas. Come on Nintendo I have faith in you!

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

skywake

gcunit wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

Good for you, Jimmy - you go ahead and play the inferior version of the game. Make sure you hit that keyboard real hard as you're typing out your reassurances to yourself - it'll almost make you feel ok about it deep down.

As hard as you were writing that to reassure yourself that it was worth buying into the Switch so early, you mean

Good point. Because lets be real here, in terms of actual game releases? If you owned a Wii U there won't be much reason to get a Switch until Super Mario Odyssey. On these forums that's probably most people because we're all Nintendo fans of some description, most of us would have a Wii U. In the broader community it's probably not so many considering how poorly the Wii U sold. But still, you have a point.

However in terms of the hardware itself? It's pretty easy to justify the purchase of a Switch even if you owned a Wii U. Especially if like me you thought the core concept of the Wii U, Off-TV play, was compelling. As someone who played the Wii U off-TV the vast majority of the time? The Switch is an upgrade from 480p to 720p. Kinda a big deal. Especially when I don't have to stay in the same room as my TV anymore. To me buying a Switch was like buying a new revision of the 3DS but with the added benefit of actual exclusive games.

And of course for the broader community, for people who didn't get a Wii U? There is no lack of games on the Switch. For them Zelda:BotW, Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon are all entirely new games that they wouldn't be able to play without buying a new system. To them buying a Switch is like buying a Wii U was for us. Except minus the cloud of doom hanging overhead....

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Octane

@skywake I like the off-TV play. But to be honest, I haven't used in once during the 80+ hours I've spent on Zelda.

I'll wait for Super Mario Odyssey, that's my system seller. But reading these comments, I'm starting to believe that's not a reasonable thing to do, and I should've pre-ordered the system over a year ago!

Octane

FragRed

@Octane Only a year ago? You should have pre-ordered the Switch before the Wii U was even announced

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

skywake

Octane wrote:

@skywake I like the off-TV play. But to be honest, I haven't used in once during the 80+ hours I've spent on Zelda.

Well, on the Wii U I loved off-TV play but for large single player games I usually played on the TV. By playing off-TV you sacrificed quite a lot of visual clarity. Something I was more than happy to do with Mario Kart and Smash Bros for quick 10min matches. Less so for a single player game where I'm only going to see stuff for the first time once.

Not arguing that the Switch is necessarily worth it if you have a Wii U. But it is worth noting that on the Switch there is no significant visual downgrade for portable mode. On the Wii U there definitely was. I've played BotW probably 90% of the time in portable mode. On Wii U I would've played it probably 70-80% of the time on the TV.

Edited on by skywake

NEStalgia

I had opportunity to make use of the hybrid nature of the Switch in a proper setting (rather than just choosing if I want handheld or docked mode a given session), and was playing Zelda, just picked up the machine, tossed it in the case, and played elsewhere, brought it back, plopped it in the dock, all seamlessly in one session while working on a tower/shrine/navigation area. It worked so wonderfully!

I also love that feature when it's the end of the night and I've already turned off the display/audio equipment and remember "oh, shoot, I was going to sell those few itmes before I put it down" I can just grab it from the dock and do it fast, all instantly. Not even slow-booting to it like WiiU. Or waiting forever like PS4.

Truly my favorite console of all time and I've only had it for 2 weeks. Sorry SNES and 3DS.

Is it wrong that I'm seriously considering buying Lego City again to have a big game to play on Switch instead of working on my dozen+game backlog on 3DS and PS4? Do I need help?

NEStalgia

Aouzy

My EB Games happened to be restocked the only day I was able to go so I was pretty lucky to get one.

I'm very happy with it in general. It's just the dock doesn't really feel safe to use, the console wobbles in it and It's hard to know if it's in right. I bought screen protectors but I don't think I'll need them, you kinda have to try and scrape the screen against the dock.

Aouzy

JaxonH

@Octane
But to be honest, I haven't used in once during the 80+ hours I've spent on Zelda

The thing is, neither did I. For several reasons. For one, every single game required a different hotkey or press of buttons or toggle buried deep in a menu to get it onto the gamepad, while other games didn't even have the off TV play option, and it was hard to remember which games offered it and which games didn't, and if so how do you get the image to show on the gamepad... do you click the analogs or press the minus button or tap the screen or go in the menu...?? It was a hassle.

For two, the image quality just wasn't that great. It was nice having it on the gamepad screen, but it was definitely a subpar experience and this is evidenced perfectly by Kirbys Rainbow Curse, a game which the vast majority on the site refused to even buy because they couldn't stand the resolution of the gamepad screen (personally I think that's a stupid reason not to buy a game but, just saying).

For three, it was big and clunky and had very short reception. And those all might be small niggles, but combined together it resulted in a lot of people just not using it. I know I rarely did, despite liking the idea of it.

This is where Switch shows its strength. No more hassle or worry about how to get the game to show on the Switch. You simply grab it and it's there, every time, instantly. And the image quality is not only improved, it's downright astonishing. The console level graphics combined with an HD screen and a thin, sleek system make it an absolute joy to play as a handheld. And not just as a handheld- you can actually play like a console on the go via tabletop mode. Now, that may sound like just another bullet point feature on a list, but let me tell you tabletop mode with detachable Joycon is one of the absolute best features of the system... and of any system I've ever seen or experienced. And obviously you don't have to deal with 25 feet limited range either. Can literally go anywhere with this thing. There is no place on this earth you can't stand and play the Switch.

So someone like me who has always enjoyed handhelds but has never really used my 3DS much outside of the house and never really used my Vita much outside of the house, and never even really used off TV play from the Wii U... here I am taking the Switch with me everywhere- even when I'm in the house I'm constantly undocking it and taking it with me in the spare bedroom, and in the bathroom, and downstairs when I go to the kitchen to make a pot of coffee... this thing is attached to my hip. And no console or handheld his ever accomplished that before with me.

I think it's just one of those things where you have to experience it, because it sounds all well and good but once you discover just how amazing it is to prop that thing up on a desk with a kickstand, slide those controllers off the rails and lean back in a chair and game like you're sitting in your living room at home with a console, all while being at work or in another room, or wherever... there's no experience like it. Even just as a handheld too though, being able to play games like Zelda Breath of the Wild and Fast Racing RMX (and soon Mario Kart!) as a handheld game... it's legit. Best of all though is the seamless transition. You could buy Wii U games on 3DS and have to start all over, and have two different save files going. Being able to have one save file with one playthrough that is used for both console and handheld on one device... ya. It's great. And it may be less impressive next to all that, but playing with a split controller has been my dream since the Wiimote, which was really only a glimpse into what it would really be like. Fine tuning aim via gyro with a pro controller can be done, but doing it with the right joy con just works.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

skywake

@JaxonH
Pretty much. Even playing classic games on the VC the 3DS was better than the Wii U GamePad. For the games that were on both I'd rather play them on my 3DS because unless I was playing it on my TV the 3DS gave me a clearer picture. But obviously with the 3DS being a significantly less powerful machines you lose out in other areas. Compromises all round.

On the Switch? You get the full TV quality experience on a portable. Period.

rallydefault

gcunit wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

lol I type very quietly these days. I'm really happy with the Switch, actually. I think I'm even gonna gets me some Binding of Isaac this weekend.

But I will say, honestly, my Xbox One is the system in recent memory that gave me buyer's remorse. I really wish I never bought that thing. I was starting to feel that way with my PS4, but then Uncharted Collection and the FFX remake came out and I was good.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

KirbyTheVampire

@rallydefault I'm kind of feeling buyer's remorse over my PS4, lol. Probably when I get Horizon and Red Dead Redemption 2 (And maybe Mass Effect Andromeda, although the reviews aren't the best, so I'm not sure about that one yet) I won't regret it, but as of right now, I'm kind of bummed that I bothered. I'm having more fun with my Switch with just 1 game (Zelda) than I've ever had with the 6 PS4 games I own so far.

I'm kind of coming to the conclusion that I should maybe just stick to Nintendo consoles in the future. I had a similar situation with the PS3, except I had Skyrim, which 100% gave me my money's worth out of that system.

KirbyTheVampire

DefHalan

So where are all the games Nintendo was holding back from the Wii U for all these years?

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Nicolai

@DefHalan Mario Odyssey? @KirbyTheVampire Lol, welcome to the club. The club of hundreds of games on Nintendo consoles and 4 games on Steam.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Octane

@DefHalan I'm starting to believe that Nintendo and their entire staff have been partying for an entire year, living off that Wii money. That also explains the financial loss from last year. I think I'm onto something!

Octane

Octane

@Nicolai Super Mario Odyssey will release four years after 3D World. I would've expected a new 3D Mario game by this point anyway, since they release about once every four years. ARMS, 1-2-Switch and Xenoblade 2 (if that comes out this year) are the only new games so far. Splatoon 2 is made by the old Splatoon team and since they're reusing most of the assets, it makes sense they're able to finish that within two years. Other than that, it's pretty standard for Nintendo releases, maybe even a bit on the shallow side all things considered. Unless E3 reveals another couple of holiday games like Pikmin 4 and whatever else was planned for the Wii U.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic