Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 10,361 to 10,380 of 69,994

rallydefault

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@GrailUK But we're seeing gigantic backlash only a few weeks before BotW's launch just because Nintendo wanted to expand the game further with an expansion pass, all you need is for Super Mario Odyssey to have an expansion pass (which I think it will given the open nature of New Donk City) and all the hype will be gone in an instant.

Meanwhile, Horizon: Zero Dawn is loaded down with in-game pre-order bonuses, microtransactions, and will most certainly announce a bevy of DLC in the coming days, and the collective internet aside from a few dissenters will just nod its head and continue praising Sony.

BUT GOD FORBID if any Nintendo DLC makes the headlines. It's open season on the "corrupt" and "greedy" Nintendo who is asking 20 bucks for a new story, new dungeon, new trials, new mode, etc.

rallydefault

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Gosh, I can't remember...

I wanna say ya? Cause the VC went live soon after, and the eShop was already up when that happened... right? Either way, it's 2017. A digital shop shouldn't even be a question at launch. That's a must. They said you'll be able to buy games digitally day one so, I'm assuming yes. VC is a whole other story though.

Honestly I'm OK waiting for gamecube, but it would be really nice if they could announce a game plan for the next three years. Like, 2-3 NES/SNES each week for year one, 2-3 N64/GBA each week for year two, 1-2 GC/Wii each week for year three, and misc platforms to come after that (like DS, GB, TG16, Genesis, etc).

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

TuVictus

Made a post, deleted it. Apologies if anyone got that email tag. Not worth the discussion, it gets tiring after a while and it's not worth it. I'd rather just stay on my personal hype train.

Half a month away.

TuVictus

Octane

@rallydefault What are you talking about?

Yeah, sure, you get a different costume if you pre-order the game, but there are no micro transactions (nor DLC as far we know). Not that it matters, cause if the game is good, I wouldn't mind a good DLC expansion if it makes sense in the context of the game. But again, it's not loaded with micro transactions at all...

Octane

skywake

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Given what we know about Switch so far I'm thinking Scorpio may drown out Switch at E3.

I honestly don't think anyone will care about the Scorpio. People who want that sort of performance are generally PC gamers anyways. And it's not like Scorpio is going to have any new content that you can't get already. The Switch is an entirely new concept with entirely new content.

If anything Microsoft are going to wish they had talked more about Scorpio pre-Switch. They could have won some free press by coming out alongside the PS4 Pro and being a higher performing device. They would have had no competition for people's mindshare from Nintendo. But as it is, at this E3 nobody is going to care about Scorpio.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

IceClimbers

@JaxonH @Grumblevolcano

The eShop was indeed available on day 1. It's available on day 1 for Switch too. How else are you going to buy Little Inferno (that was actually a Wii U launch title) or I Am Setsuna, which are both digital only?

As far as Microsoft goes the only system update I could maybe see bringing any sort of hype is the original Xbox being added to BC.

@Whitewatermoose For their sake, I sure hope so.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

LzWinky

Octane wrote:

@rallydefault What are you talking about?

Yeah, sure, you get a different costume if you pre-order the game, but there are no micro transactions (nor DLC as far we know). Not that it matters, cause if the game is good, I wouldn't mind a good DLC expansion if it makes sense in the context of the game. But again, it's not loaded with micro transactions at all...

I dunno. Other devs said that in the past too...

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Grumblevolcano

@TheLZdragon Modern Warfare Remastered being an example, microtransactions came with the final free maps.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@skywake
I'm... actually kind of inclined to agree with you. Six months ago I wouldn't have. Six months ago I would've told you PS4 Pro and Scorpio may well kill the Switch. But after seeing the lackluster response to the Pro (and for the record, I bought one myself), I'm convinced the Scorpio isn't going to do much better, although I do think it has a lot more potential to do better than Pro, simply because of how much more of an upgrade it will be.

The fact that the consoles aren't getting exclusive games.... that's what killed it. The bump in resolution and frame rate is nice, but it's not $400 nice. I can afford it and I am perfectly content with the 4K resolution of the Pro- it's fantastic playing games in 4K versus 1080p. But it's not the jump that it was from SD to HD. I notice it more for movies and shows that I do for games. Netflix in 4K is stunning. But games... I don't know, it's just not that big of an improvement. It's awesome- don't get me wrong, it's definitely awesome... it's just not $400 awesome. And that's the problem.

@Octane
Ya, as far as I'm concerned "loaded with DLC" is a great thing- I'm always up for great games getting extra content in the form of DLC. I'm happy to see Zelda get some and I hope Horizon does as well. I'm not exactly sure what he's talking about but the point about the Zelda DLC uproar is well taken. Just picked a really, really poor example to compare with.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

rallydefault

@Octane
http://www.thebitbag.com/horizon-zero-dawn-pre-order-bonus/22...

Erm... there is WAY more than just a "different costume," dude. Multiple tiers of Day1 DLC with numerous items in each. And again, I intentionally worded my post: "will most certainly announce a bevy of DLC." I did not state that further DLC has already been revealed, only that I'm sure it will be in the future. Looking at the actual facts, yea, the thing is LOADED with pre-order DLC.

And about the microtransactions: Notice their fun little wording: "Guerilla Games carefully explained that the main game won’t have any microtransactions." MAIN GAME. You can pretend that's just a harmless phrasing, or, as we love doing around here with all the PR talk from Reggie and his ilk, you can open your eyes and realize those words were carefully chosen for a reason.

For the last time, man, PLEASE read what I actually wrote, not what you want to imagine that I wrote.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Octane

@rallydefault I get what you're saying, but look up the source from that quote. The original source is the Tweet I posted. Guerilla Games said ''There will be no micro transactions in #HorizonZeroDawn'' when they were asked about the micro transactions. They never said anything about the ''main'' game, The Bitbag wrote that, not Guerilla Games. So it's not careful wording or anything like that, because they never said used those words in the first place.

On the actual content of the pre-order bonuses; Every pre-order comes with the Nora costume, a Nora skin for the bow and a couple of items to help you on your way, this is the so-called Resource Pack. The limited editions and collector's editions will also receive this, plus two additional sets of costumes, bow skins and resource packs. I don't see how this is any different from the day-one bonuses in Zelda, they also give you a shirt, useful ''items'' and resources.

Octane

skywake

@JaxonH
Remember that 4K Netflix doesn't just look better because it's "4K". They also increase the bandwidth from 5Mbps to 25Mbps. In terms of bandwidth used 4K Netflix is about on-par with standard Blurays while "HD" Netflix is like a Blu-Ray rip that's small enough to fit on a single layer DVD. That's the difference in quality you see. Technically you shouldn't need a 4K screen to appreciate the benefits of "4K" Netflix.

With games? It's always a raw and uncompressed video signal. Well, unless you're streaming the game from another machine. The Wii U GamePad and Steam Link are compressed signals. Everything else is the console telling the screen what colour each pixel should be directly. So resolution jumps for games? It's 100% about the resolution jump.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JaxonH

@skywake
Netflix 4K is phenomenal.

But, with my TV doing 4K upscaling, even 1080p movie rentals from PSN look dang near as good. Not quite, but definitely better than streaming 1080p from Netflix. At first I was hesitant about paying the extra few dollars for the 4K service but now... I could never go back

MumboJumbo

@BiasedSonyFan

Japan is the only market with we have LTD figures for. The PS4 Pro has now sold over 170k units in Japan.

Sales updates are rarer for other markets, but we did get a sales breakdown for the US market in December. Sony sold 1,568,000 PS4 consoles in December, with 238,000 coming from the PS4 Pro.

http://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-playstation-neck-and-neck-...

Sony has been quiet about the PS4 Pro sales, because there's not a lot to shout about. If you factor in the rest of the world, total sales since launch would be around 1 million, if not lower.

Edited on by MumboJumbo

MumboJumbo

-Juice-

So, I have this burning question about the Switch that I just can't find the answers to. If any if you have had a hands on experience, can you answer this for me please?

Now, for the question:
Does the Switch dock have insulation of some type? Is there space between the walls and the sustem itself? The way it looks, it seems like the screen is at high risk of being scratched. I hate scratches.

Edited on by -Juice-

3DS Friend Code: 0962-9923-0016

FGPackers

Fifteen days...Fifteen days...FIFTEEN DAYS!!!

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

mystman12

mystman12 wrote:

Wait, so if the rumor is true... Does that mean my dream actually predicted the NX?!?!

mystman12 wrote:

I just had a dream about the NX! The system is going to be focused on multiplayer and hanging out with friends. The console is going to be in a suitcase type cover with a handle so you can easily take it to a friend's house, and it will also be able to fold into a small chair for easy extra seating. You heard it here first!

Basically, the system being a suitcase would be like it being portable and easy to take with you places, and it being able to unfold into a chair for easy extra seating is like it having controllers for easy portable multiplayer. And I mean, in the dream it was focused on multiplayer and hanging out with friends...

I actually kind of hope the rumors are true now just so I can claim I had a dream predicting the NX.

Okay, now that we know exactly what the Switch is, can I just say I'm still kind of weirded out by how that dream was actually a pretty darn accurate metaphor for the Switch?

I like makin' games!
Future Pinball games!
Petit Computer games!!
and SmileBASIC games!
Waiting for Kirby Air Ride 2. One day, it will come. One day...

3DS Friend Code: 0259-0292-5888 | Nintendo Network ID: mystman12 | Twitter:

FragRed

@Tarvaax That's an interesting question and one I doubt anyone has ever thought to ask. But this is Nintendo and if there's one thing they do, is test their products over and over and over for all kinds of things and being that taking this thing in and out of the dock is going to be extremely regular, I'm sure Nintendo did huge testing here. So if it caused scratches then they'd no doubt have found out.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

gcunit

FragRed wrote:

@Tarvaax That's an interesting question and one I doubt anyone has ever thought to ask. But this is Nintendo and if there's one thing they do, is test their products over and over and over for all kinds of things and being that taking this thing in and out of the dock is going to be extremely regular, I'm sure Nintendo did huge testing here. So if it caused scratches then they'd no doubt have found out.

... and they'll be dealing with a whole host of majorly disgruntled customers demanding replacements/refunds if they don't.

That being said, I'm putting a screen protecting film on mine. The only time I ever notice they're there is when the screen is turned off, so I don't know why people don't use them by default (or why they're not included in the package).

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

erv

@gcunit actually, most of them distort colours a great deal. So much so that I don't like them. And for most of my devices, the screen protector kills the anti-scratch coating they have.

Nah, not one screen protector is ever going to touch my beautiful devices again.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic