Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 10,301 to 10,320 of 69,981

StuTwo

Operative2-0 wrote:

I highly doubt they would have treated those games as DLC one way or another. They had complete stories with a significant amount of dungeons and side missions. If they were done today, they would still be standalone titles.

Or much smaller...

I think Skywake has a point - they were substantial releases because they had to be. The core gameplay innovations of those sequels could have been delivered via DLC if the possibility had been there.

dtjive wrote:

I am on board for BotW DLC but...
Why announce it now before anybody has even had a chance to experience the game properly? I mean, surely Nintendo must be confident that people are gonna love the game and then surprise everyone with a nice E3 announcement about forthcoming additional content right? right? The only way I can make sense of this announcement is either:
1) BotW was rushed out the door and Nintendo know that the overworld is a bit on the barren side so are preparing to alleviate the negative comments with promises of future content for the game.
2) Saying this now may drive sales of Wii U BotW down, and more sales of the Switch because this is definitely going to be Switch exclusive content.
I really hope its the latter and not the former but I am now concerned that BotW isn't going to justify its size.

There's a third option - since many won't "go back" to Wii U once they move on to Switch (for various reasons) Nintendo, by making it clear that Zelda will continue to be supported, incentivises buying the game on the system that will be around for years to come. Since there's a lot of "I'll buy it when Mario comes out - I'll get Zelda on Wii U" people out there it makes sense to tempt those people.

The timing of their announcement is otherwise quite odd. Surely a week or two after launch, E3 or a month ago at the Switch reveal would have made far more sense?

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

FGPackers

By the way i was noting something about the Zelda DLCs. It says "NEW Hero Mode", so maybe the classic hero mode will be in the base game and they will add something different. Maybe it is a little thing, but it can be important to underline

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

Octane

@FGPackers It could, but I think we're getting back to the same issue with the voice chat, we don't really know. They've announced a hero mode as part of the DLC, but we don't even know if the base game will have a feature like this or not. Kinda weird if you think about it. We know more about the DLC that's months away, than the game that is coming out in just 2 weeks. I still think that E3 would've been a better place to announce this. The day one stuff is stupid anyway and can be part of the first DLC pack. At E3 they could also show parts of the new dungeons and story mode, like an actual trailer. That way people know what they're buying. That's the biggest issue I have with season passes, most of the time you don't know what you're getting, meaning that the developers can release anything between almost zero new content or something that's actually worthwhile. But if people already paid for it anyway, why even bother making it worthwhile?

Octane

Luna_110

@FGPackers
I agree, I think the New Hard mode will be something ala Master Quest. Plus, I can't remeber where, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that BotW would have a Hard mode included....

Anyway, the timing of the announcement is quite odd, it would have been far better that they keep it quite and announced it at E3, like, "its available to download now!" They would have killed the eShop for a couple hour but nothing major, and the feedback would have been far better. Now it is simply too ambiguous.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

FGPackers

@Octane @Luna_110 Good points, both of you. I think it's another "wait & see" game that we have to undergo. Totally agree on the time, but i think that at the end DLCs will just be good enough and worth the price (i think they will be not just good, but awesome if they do it properly, and i think so). I don't see Aonuma-san doing bad on this, too much on the line for him right now, especially considering how much this game has been postponed. I repeat myself here: i think it's another way (like the Splatoon 2 Global Testfire) to fill even more the Switch first 9 months on a software basis. And it will be a good test to see how the fanbase reacts and stuff like that. As of now, for what they said, i think i'll support them, also because i really desire this game. It became a matter of principle now

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

LzWinky

I'm up for it as long as the content is worth the price.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

skywake

Operative2-0 wrote:

I highly doubt they would have treated those games as DLC one way or another. They had complete stories with a significant amount of dungeons and side missions. If they were done today, they would still be standalone titles.

You're missing the point. What I'm saying is that Nintendo releasing extra content ontop of an existing game isn't a new thing. It's just that since the Wii U they've been able to sell it as DLC rather than having an entirely new game as the only option. Nintendo have been doing this for ages. I don't think the size of Majora's Mask or Spirit Tracks changes that fact.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

kkslider5552000

Ít's accurate to say that if Majora's Mask was DLC, it would probably be half the size and scale of what it is. It would still be Majora's Mask in enough ways, it would just be a much shorter experience than what we got. (though tbh, OOT's DLC would've been Master Quest )

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

TuVictus

Definitely agree with that. Master quest would have been the perfect DLC. I would encourage something similar for newer Zelda games

TuVictus

Therad

Whitewatermoose wrote:

I think the Zelda DLC is smart.

1) Zelda DLC part 2 is the Master Quest staring Zelda!!!

2) Everyone keep your eye on an iOS and Android game Shadowgun Legends by Madfinger. The game is coming to Nvidia Shield TV with controller support. This could be one of the first true cross over mobile games. I could easily see this on Switch.

The "exclusive outfit" = green tunic.

Therad

IceClimbers

I saw an ad on Adult Swim. Showed Zelda, Arms, and Splatoon 2 (pulled from the extended cut of the Super Bowl ad).

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

dtjive

Therad wrote:

Whitewatermoose wrote:

I think the Zelda DLC is smart.

1) Zelda DLC part 2 is the Master Quest staring Zelda!!!

2) Everyone keep your eye on an iOS and Android game Shadowgun Legends by Madfinger. The game is coming to Nvidia Shield TV with controller support. This could be one of the first true cross over mobile games. I could easily see this on Switch.

The "exclusive outfit" = green tunic.

Would be such a poor form move by Nintendo and will lead to really negative comments.

The same way that if any of the traditional items that we see in zelda appear via DLC. The items/clothing have to be novelty items like that switch tunic.

dtjive

Grumblevolcano

One of the items could be the master cycle from MK8, I mean if they're going all out on Switch promotion ingame they may as well include the connection to the only other big pre-E3 Switch game (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Haruki_NLI

So LEGO Worlds is coming March 3rd to PS4 in the US. Not over here because of course not. Cue the Switch version being later.

So a little edit shows no mention of Switch on their site. Wonderful. Late full price port incoming.

Edited on by Haruki_NLI

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Octane

@BLP_Software Isn't it March 7? They didn't mention a specific date on the PlayStation blog, but Steam has it slated for March 7, and Xbox One too, so I assume it's a March 7 worldwide release.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@Octane March 3rd in US on PS4 apparently. 7th elsewhere, the official site isnt being helpful and no mention of Switch. Literally nothing I can see on their site.

Just done more snooping, says 7th on Xbox and PC, nothing on PS4 (PushSqu
uare is quiting Twitter for their date) and Switch is MIA. Trying to find a statement on that

Edited on by Haruki_NLI

Octane

@BLP_Software Well, yeah, the Switch version will come later, I thought that was already confirmed? PushSquare says March 3 for Europe and March 7 for US by the way. So it's somewhere in between those two dates for sure. Clarity people, just put out a spreadsheet with the release dates if you're not going to launch it WW on the same day..

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@Octane I dont think Switch was confirmed later though being in this camp its expected at this point.

Its more acceptable that its a system coming at a time when many games are close to ending development, and thus porting will break release parity simply due to timing, then a late port for dumb reasons with dumb business attached or delaying due to other systems rules.

Im perfectly fine with it being a late port as is, because of timing, but at the same time it better not be too late.

FragRed

@BLP_Software I agree, that's why people shouldn't be upset about games like Resident Evil 7 etc not coming to the Switch. Development would've been way too far along by the time dev kits were sent out. At the same time, if a game like Lego World's is released too late on the Switch, no one will care. And then there's that dreaded fear of what maybe cut from the Switch version, because reasons but let's still charge full price.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Octane

@FragRed It has little to do with development itself, but more with the engine. RE7 is built in the new propietary RE Engine, porting that engine to the ARM-based Switch takes time and resources. I guess the dev kits haven't been out for that long.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic