Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 10,261 to 10,280 of 69,954

Octane

As far as I can tell, cloud saves are only possible if you're subscribed to their online service. That's expected, but I just wanted to point that out.

@Operative2-0 I think the issue was how Nintendo treated DLC on the Wii U. I recall someone saying that DLC was counted as a new game and publishers had to pay royalty fees over DLC as well, hence why most publishers didn't even bother with DLC for the Wii U versions to begin with. Although I can't find a source on this one.

Octane

skywake

Octane wrote:

@G0dlike Seeing how the Switch is pretty much sold out everywhere, maybe they thought they don't need to show more to begin with. In a way, it doesn't even matter if there's no VC at launch for example, people were apparently perfectly fine with pre-ordering the system without knowing whether it was going to be there at launch.

In related news, pre-orders are starting to sell out in Australia now. BigW closed all pre-orders last week, EBGames are now only accepting pre-orders for the Grey SKU. I have a feeling the Switch is going to be pretty hard to get your hands on in the first month or so. Unless you have a pre-order.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Nin10dad

skywake wrote:

Octane wrote:

@G0dlike Seeing how the Switch is pretty much sold out everywhere, maybe they thought they don't need to show more to begin with. In a way, it doesn't even matter if there's no VC at launch for example, people were apparently perfectly fine with pre-ordering the system without knowing whether it was going to be there at launch.

In related news, pre-orders are starting to sell out in Australia now. BigW closed all pre-orders last week, EBGames are now only accepting pre-orders for the Grey SKU. I have a feeling the Switch is going to be pretty hard to get your hands on in the first month or so. Unless you have a pre-order.

See in the UK, they are still widely available, which isn't surprising considering us brits enjoy nothing more adventurous than a game of FIFA or shooting some filthy 'remain' voters in an online death match.

However, and I'm aware the point was raised to say, hey we don't need to tell you anything about this console, you'll buy 2 anyway, but the debate I was trying to get started was, is it all so underwhelming that they're simply not going to show anything? Was it rushed out to simply make a shed ton of hard cash before the fiscal year ends, as opposed to releasing it in the fall or even holiday season, when it would have been ready?
Have I used to many commas in this comment, as well as some really questionable punctuation?

nintendad.co.uk

Twitter @nintendad

Switch - SW-5274-3655-0708

FragRed

@G0dlike I doubt Nintendo would have wanted the Switch to be delayed until the holiday season. Firstly it would mean going up against Microsoft and whatever Scorpio ends up being, secondly what would Nintendo do for revenue for an additional 10 months? Zelda would need to be delayed to accommodate the Switch launch which would anger more people and likely get lost in a sea of blockbuster games (which it could still do looking at March), and Mario Odyssey would be when? Late 2018?

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

skywake

@G0dlike
If it's selling well at launch then clearly the timing was right. They have Zelda and they have Mario Kart and Splatoon lined up soon after. The software is there enough for a launch at the start of the year. It's also worth remembering all the rants on forums like this where people said them dragging out the reveal was a mistake. Not having "NX" at E3 for example. But clearly Nintendo know what they are doing given how well things have turned out for them.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

MumboJumbo

@G0dlike
Nintendo hosted a Wii U Direct 11 days before the launch of the Wii U. It was roughly 35 minutes long and was focused on highlighting the system's features. It's not too late for Nintendo to host a similar direct for the Switch. We're actually one week early by Nintendo standards.

Edited on by MumboJumbo

MumboJumbo

zitpig

I wonder why the UK still has lots of Switch units available for pre-order. Is it because -

1) The UK was assigned a higher number of units
2) Nobody in the UK wants a Switch, so there are loads left
3) People are expecting just to walk into a shop and grab one rather than pre-order
4) People want a Switch, but are not pre-ordering/waiting for some reason (eg price/games etc.)
5) Retailers are under-estimating how many units they will receive

Seems odd that the rest of the world has run dry, yet the UK (apparently) still has truckloads.

zitpig

shaneoh

zitpig wrote:

Seems odd that the rest of the world has run dry, yet the UK (apparently) still has truckloads.

Not if the trucks get stolen.

skywake wrote:

EB didn't ring me like they did you, but I went in and paid off some of my preorder and they asked if I was picking it up that weekend. Had to say twice that I was taking the day off to get it. "Two weeks" preorder hold guarantee my foot.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

jump

zitpig wrote:

I wonder why the UK still has lots of Switch units available for pre-order. Is it because -

3) People are expecting just to walk into a shop and grab one rather than pre-order
4) People want a Switch, but are not pre-ordering/waiting for some reason (eg price/games etc.)

6. Nintendo UK lost the internal memo of how to make a successful launch, fake shortages and sell them on ebay.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

dtjive

zitpig wrote:

My guess is that in part it's due to Brexit.

I mean pre-Brexit this thing would be £249 and we'd all be talking about how "that's a decent price for what it is. I guess it would be nice to have a game bundled in though". At £279 it's "wow that's pretty steep given you get no game and you can get much more powerful consoles for cheaper". I know the price is only £30 different, but the image of being above/below £250 was important for this console imo.

And I think the cost of it in the UK is going to limit this machine to only being bought strong Nintendo fans. I mean even though I've got one pre-ordered even I am looking at this thing going "it doesn't represent great value". In fact, I've had friends ask me about it and my answer for them has generally been "I think it's great and it's going to have a great supply of games, but wait until October/November when it'll probably have a little price drop/include a pack-in game as its a bit pricey at the moment unless you're a real diehard Zelda fan".

For what it's worth, I think the Switch will do fine. I think it'll have a decent amount of early adopters but nothing major, and then if Nintendo do the price cut/bundle move in the fall it'll continue to sell well. If they don't then we'll enter a Wii U 2.0 situation where the sales plummet after the opening months.

dtjive

zitpig

jump wrote:

zitpig wrote:

6. Nintendo UK lost the internal memo of how to make a successful launch, fake shortages and sell them on ebay.

You might be onto something...

zitpig

Maxz

Also worth mentioning that it has been pretty difficult to guarantee a Switch in the UK on launch day until recently.

Amazon sold out soon after the initial announcement, which is why I ended up ordering from the Nintendo UK store. Then there was a period where Amazon were selling the console, but with the caveat that they had sold through their allocated stock and couldn't guarantee a launch day release. And now they seem to be selling them as they were after announcement, with the launch day guarantee.

So it's not like they've been sitting around collecting dust in the Amazon warehouse. Stock allocation has seemingly come in waves.

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

zitpig

I'm pretty sure that the majority of people that really want a Switch will get one for launch or very soon after. Nintendo can't afford for this to go the way of he NES Mini with major stock shortages for long periods. Nintendo must be working with retailer to get some sort of an idea how big demand actually is.

zitpig

BigBadJohn

In the U.K. There are not that many physical stores taking pre order. There's Game UK who's prices are extortionate and I think maybe Argos. I've not seen any presence in any of the supermarkets. Think they just got burnt with the Wii U. Game UK sold through there allocated stock and then magically got some more and started taking them again.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

rallydefault

@zitpig
Yea, plus I really don't think we can make judgements on success based on preorders. Preorders for anything, whether it's a system or a game, are generally just your diehard audience., and as some others have said, that is double-true for a hardware launch outside of the Holiday season. You probably don't have too many parents preordering the Switch, for instance, because it's not a big shopping season for little Jimmy right now lol

IF the Switch takes off, we'll start to see it in the numbers after the preorders have already been doled out. Within those crucial first 6 months.

rallydefault

BigBadJohn

Is anyone else getting bored off all these stories on the internet about certain games NOT coming to the Switch? Who cares? You don't see stories like "Shock as Splatoon 2 won't be coming to PS4!"

Edited on by BigBadJohn

SW-5512-0541-9236

jump

Mellor2000 wrote:

Is anyone else getting bored off all these stories on the internet about certain games NOT coming to the Switch? Who cares? You don't see stories like "Shock as Splatoon 2 won't be coming to PS4!"

I'd imagine the PS4 owners have too many games to notice what's not coming to their system.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

BigBadJohn

@jump I got a PS4 at launch and the selection of games at launch at least in the U.K. Was worse than Switch. Can't remember all these negative stories about the PS4 and it's potential game library.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Octane

Mellor2000 wrote:

You don't see stories like "Shock as Splatoon 2 won't be coming to PS4!"

Because Splatoon a Nintendo IP, and nobody is that stupid...

Octane

jump

Mellor2000 wrote:

jump I got a PS4 at launch and the selection of games at launch at least in the U.K. Was worse than Switch. Can't remember all these negative stories about the PS4 and it's potential game library.

I wouldn't say that as there was the good Assassin's Creed game, Knack, Lego Marvel and Injustice which keeps me happy. Whilst none of them match the hype of Zelda there's no much else day one, and even then Zelda isn't exclusive to the Switch.

Nicolai wrote:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic