Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 10,161 to 10,180 of 69,991

rallydefault

@Mellor2000
I've tried SO HARD to get into the Witcher games, but I just can't. It's literally everything I enjoy: medieval setting, spells, intriguing monsters, brooding protagonist, etc. Swords and sorcery stuff that I usually go nuts over. But I've played all three of the games, and I just don't understand what everyone is going bonkers about. I can't get past the clunky gameplay regardless of how deep the story may be.

But I'm also someone who thinks video games should be GAMES first and foremost with fun and addicting gameplay even if that means zero story arc, and I generally prefer to consume deep stories through books.

rallydefault

KirbyTheVampire

BiasedSonyFan wrote:

@rallydefault

Sorry about that. I only tagged your screen name because I agreed with your post and wanted to use it as a reference.

@Octane

The ''average'' gamer isn't the person that goes online to talk about video games, and certainly isn't going to rate the game on Metacritic. FIFA 17 only has 468 user ratings, that's nothing compared to the umpteen million copies it sold.

Fair points. However, that data is the most popular data that we have to help us figure out how a video game is received by gamers from a critical standpoint. At the very least, that data should provide some perspective to this debate: popular video games (and movies and books) aren't necessarily good, and people aren't oblivious to that fact. For example, I know plenty of people who spend money to watch action movies multiple times that they know aren't great movies but are appealing because they have great special effects. This is not some farfetched concept.

User ratings are often either really good or really bad — it's not just with video games but also with movies and books. Not many people want to bother with a rating system that allows for many ratings between the two extremes; they either like the video games that they play or they don't.

@KirbyTheVampire

I'm not denying that games with good graphics sell, but those games still got poor user ratings. If the stereotype was true and non-Nintendo gamers care only about graphics and not gameplay, they would be rated much higher than that. Despite selling well and having good graphics, a lot of those games fizzled out quickly. Besides, not all of those games are bad. Minecraft and Fallout 4, for example, are generally regarded as good games for the most part, at least outside of the PlayStation community. A lot of them had significant hype trains behind them before launch too, like The Division and Fallout 4, which would definitely help with sales.

Not necessarily. The ratings could simply reflect that people know those video games aren't necessarily good but are strong in areas that allow them to sell well (graphics, hype, brand, lack of alternatives due to a lack of competition, etc.). See my reply to @Octane.

Again, I never said that graphics were the only factor for the popularity of certain video games or even the most important factor. But I don't think you can deny that graphics aren't still a major factor, and I think that's one important reason why many gamers are skipping Nintendo games (including Nintendo games that are marketed to older audiences).

Probably the case for quite a few people (The Nintendo thing). I know a guy in real life who doesn't bother with a lot of games because the graphics aren't that great. That was back in the PS3/Wii era though, so I doubt he has nearly as many games to complain about anymore. Graphics can definitely impact sales though, for sure. Probably some of it isn't necessarily related to eye candy, though. I'm sure a lot of people think good graphics means the game is probably good quality because the game is high budget.

KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

rallydefault wrote:

@Mellor2000
I've tried SO HARD to get into the Witcher games, but I just can't. It's literally everything I enjoy: medieval setting, spells, intriguing monsters, brooding protagonist, etc. Swords and sorcery stuff that I usually go nuts over. But I've played all three of the games, and I just don't understand what everyone is going bonkers about. I can't get past the clunky gameplay regardless of how deep the story may be.

But I'm also someone who thinks video games should be GAMES first and foremost with fun and addicting gameplay even if that means zero story arc, and I generally prefer to consume deep stories through books.

There's no rule book for how games "should" be. There are plenty of games out there that have great gameplay but an either terrible or very simple story, like Little Big Planet. Then there are games like TellTale's The Walking Dead that have very little gameplay but very compelling characters and stories. Neither of those games are necessarily better or worse than each other. They're just intended for different kinds of people who can embrace the games for what they are. Of course, those games are obviously not trying to have a good story (LBP) or good gameplay (TWD), so that doesn't excuse TW3 for not standing out from the crowd from a gameplay perspective, since the devs were actually trying there, but people who enjoy games with immersive worlds, great characters and quests, and a compelling story, while forgiving it for only having an acceptable quality combat system will definitely have a good time with it. It all depends on what you're into.

Zelda might actually surpass TW3 in both gameplay and story, or at least gameplay, but that doesn't mean TW3 sucks or has nothing to offer, because it's a great game for people who can look past less than amazing combat.

KirbyTheVampire

jump

Slow and clunky...that really could be either Zelda or Witcher tbh.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

-Green-

Hopefully, it isn't. Never played W3 or whatever, but if BotW's gameplay is dull and slow, then I doubt I'll bother to finish it.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

KirbyTheVampire

I heard on boogie2988's channel that some people who tried the demo weren't too impressed with the basic gameplay. Of course, that isn't taking puzzles and boss fights and whatnot into account. Still though, I think fighting most enemies and generally running around the map will be basically the same as it always was, with some differences here and there.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

Octane

@BiasedSonyFan Eh, I take a written review over any of the ''I gave it a 10 because the score needs to be higher.'' or a ''IT SUCKKSZ! therefore 0.'' any time. Even if I don't always agree with the critic reviews, at least I can read them and try to understand why the reviewer didn't like the game, regardless of whether the arguments are valid or not.

Octane

Farmboy74

The Witcher 3 does take a while to get into, with the sword play, you can't go in all guns blazing so to speak and more often or not you need to craft certain oils to put onto your sword to kill certain enemies. It does require though plenty of time and patience.

Farmboy74

-Green-

I decided I'll probably just and wait and buy a Switch later on. I really want to play Zelda when it came out, but I'd rather not go through the hassle of hunting one down. It also gives me the opportunity to get some more work done and see how the Switch thing handles itself.

KirbyTheVampire

-Green- wrote:

I decided I'll probably just and wait and buy a Switch later on. I really want to play Zelda when it came out, but I'd rather not go through the hassle of hunting one down. It also gives me the opportunity to get some more work done and see how the Switch thing handles itself.

That's what I'm doing too. I'm having fun with my recently purchased PS4 in the meantime. In 2 or 3 years I'll be able to tell if a Switch is worth investing in compared to a gaming PC, or a PS5 when it comes out. I can't envision myself not getting a Switch, though. Gotta have my Nintendo fix, which I haven't had since the Wii.

KirbyTheVampire

rallydefault

@KirbyTheVampire
I never said TW3 "sucks." Where the heck did I say that? Why do you and @jump seem to be all over my posts, putting words to me that just aren't there on the screen? I said that despite the Witcher series including lots of ideas that I enjoy, I couldn't get into any of the three games, and that I find the gameplay clunky in all three. That's it. I never said it "sucks," nor did I even compare it to Zelda. Please stop attributing words and arguments to me that I've never made, it's getting pretty annoying.

I also think @jump's comment about Zelda being clunky is whitewashing. I think A Link Between Worlds has some of the smoothest, addicting top-down gameplay I've laid hands on. I also think Wind Waker's controls are fluid and fun to play. Ocarina, Twilight, and Skyward Sword I do find to be stiff in terms of controls, much like Witcher. I would go further to say, though, that Witcher's 1's controls were straight-up unintuitive, whereas I wouldn't use that word for any Zelda game.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

KirbyTheVampire

rallydefault wrote:

@KirbyTheVampire
I never said TW3 "sucks." Where the heck did I say that? Why do you and @jump seem to be all over my posts, putting words to me that just aren't there on the screen? I said that despite the Witcher series including lots of ideas that I enjoy, I couldn't get into any of the three games, and that I find the gameplay clunky in all three. That's it. I never said it "sucks," nor did I even compare it to Zelda. Please stop attributing words and arguments to me that I've never made, it's getting pretty annoying.

I also think @jump's comment about Zelda being clunky is whitewashing. I think A Link Between Worlds has some of the smoothest, addicting top-down gameplay I've laid hands on. I also think Wind Waker's controls are fluid and fun to play. Ocarina, Twilight, and Skyward Sword I do find to be stiff in terms of controls, much like Witcher. I would go further to say, though, that Witcher's 1's controls were straight-up unintuitive, whereas I wouldn't use that word for any Zelda game.

Jeez man, it seems impossible to just have a friendly discussion on this website. I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, I just thought it was a simple way of saying that you don't care for the game. In hindsight, "sucks" was a poor word choice. And I know you didn't compare it to Zelda, but the comparison between TW3 and BoTW was still going on at the time, and since you said you don't know what everyone's going bonkers about, I used that as a way of saying that even if games like Zelda are better in the gameplay area, TW3 is still a good game for people who enjoy deep stories and such despite gameplay that isn't anything mindblowing. I know you have nothing against TW3 or people who enjoy it, but there was a lot of talk from others at the time about how BoTW was totally gonna blow it out of the water despite the fact that some of them have never played TW3 and none have played BoTW, so the post was also intended for them. Sorry if that skewed the context a little.

KirbyTheVampire

Emperor-Palpsy

It might sound a bit OCD, but is anyone else afraid of the storage cases damaging Game Cards? I've been looking at a lot of the images of various products, and it's difficult to get an idea of how they actually clip onto the card. For example:

Untitled

Edited on by Emperor-Palpsy

cackle

FGPackers

@KirbyTheVampire If it was meant to me, i played TW3 and i really didn't like the gameplay. I know that it has a REALLY good story with REALLY good quest outline, and is a very good open world all around. And hey, i think that is a REALLY good game. I didn't say the opposite. All i'm saying is

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

so that doesn't excuse TW3 for not standing out from the crowd from a gameplay perspective

I'm saying that combat is a BIG cons. Because it is done really bad for an action-RPG of 2016 that got a lot of GOTY prizes. Maybe i exagerated on the fact that BOTW will be hands down the best game ever, but that was meant to be a personal consideration. All i was saying is that i think BOTW has a really good number of reasons and aspects that can even outshine TW3 if done properly. Guess we will find out in less than 3 weeks.

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

Nicolai

@Emperor-Palpsy: It seems like that case you showed would work similar to how 3DS cases work, which would just grip it by the sides. Doesn't look dangerous.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

KirbyTheVampire

FGPackers wrote:

@KirbyTheVampire If it was meant to me, i played TW3 and i really didn't like the gameplay. I know that it has a REALLY good story with REALLY good quest outline, and is a very good open world all around. And hey, i think that is a REALLY good game. I didn't say the opposite. All i'm saying is

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

so that doesn't excuse TW3 for not standing out from the crowd from a gameplay perspective

I'm saying that combat is a BIG cons. Because it is done really bad for an action-RPG of 2016 that got a lot of GOTY prizes. Maybe i exagerated on the fact that BOTW will be hands down the best game ever, but that was meant to be a personal consideration. All i was saying is that i think BOTW has a really good number of reasons and aspects that can even outshine TW3 if done properly. Guess we will find out in less than 3 weeks.

Not arguing with that. It may very well surpass it, or it might not. I just think comparisons are being made a bit too early. Either way though, they'll still both be quality games in the end. I might be a bit biased towards TW3 too, since medieval fantasy open world RPG's are basically my favorite kind of game, and we really have no open world Nintendo games to give us any idea about how good BoTW will be.

KirbyTheVampire

Haruki_NLI

So whats todays "Not coming to Switch" game?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

-Green-

Metroid

FGPackers

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

we really have no open world Nintendo games to give us any idea about how good BoTW will be.

There's Xenoblade Chronicles X (even if it's not a medieval setting), that i liked really a lot. Considering that Monolith worked and helped on BOTW i'm more confident about it

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic