Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 10,141 to 10,160 of 69,954

kkslider5552000

rallydefault wrote:

@KirbyTheVampire
Eh, I mostly agree with you, but I still stick to my assertion that there are WAY more people out there than you may think who believe games without good graphics suck. I interacted with these people daily (my editor made us be active in the comments section for our own stories), and if you can use laws of statistical analysis to predict a large pattern off of a sample size, then you'd be pretty shocked at how many people think this way.

I also have a friend who is a community manager for a pretty big, well-known MOBA game dev, and she would tell you the exact same thing. For a large, large number of people out there, graphics=good game, lack of graphics=no sell.

But to be fair, it's also been proven that what people say they want and what they actually buy are sometimes radically different.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

rallydefault

@skywake
I can mostly agree with what you're saying, but I think the particular communities within gaming vary A LOT. I think there is a MASSIVE difference between Xbox/PS gamers and PC gamers, for instance (which are all very different from primarily Nintendo gamers).

Take a game like Stardew Valley, for instance. Released on the PC first. Certainly not great graphics, not even good. Could probably have run fairly well on a SNES. But the art direction was inspired, and it sold like dang hotcakes. It sold over a million copies, only on PC, in a little over its first month. For a game designed by one dude and released on only one system, that's pretty awesome.

It's been out for nearly 2 months now on Xbox AND PS4, and honestly, I can't find a single article touting its sales or anything positive in that regard. I'm sure it's selling to a certain degree, but between the two consoles, I'm not entirely sure it's sold a million yet. In double the time it took the PC community to embrace it.

That's just one example. There are plenty more if I cared to look into it deeper, but my point is that gaming communities vary wildly with what they want and, yes, Xbox/PS gamers tend to put a lot of stock on graphics. They tend to write off games that don't have cutting-edge graphics, and they also tend to gives games with awesome graphics but terrible gameplay a chance (looking at you The Order:1886... looking at you).

Edit: Just for fun, I did look up The Order's sales, and physical sales are around 1.75 million. Now, add in online sales, and if we're being VERY conservative, we can assume it's sold about 2 million copies total. And that's obviously only on the PS4, because it's an exclusive. A widely panned game with terrible gameplay (yes I've played it), no replay value, but very pretty graphics. 2-million seller.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

skywake

@rallydefault
Good point. I think it goes without saying that different platforms have slightly different audiences. That's always going to happen. Games more suited to the audience that the platform attracts will do better on those platforms. The PS4 early on? That audience was going to skew towards people who mostly care about the visuals. It also probably skewed towards an audience that wanted the latest and greatest whether it had content or not. So something like The Order was always going to do pretty well with that audience.

Compare that to the audience that the Switch is going to attract. Gamers old enough to care about Zelda and Mario. People who want a portable gaming device and aren't put off by the lower spec. People who aren't freaking out about the price or the fact that it's a "720p" console rather than a "4K" one. Those consumers probably aren't as fussed about the graphics because of the simple fact that they're buying into a platform that's not really about the graphics.

I just think that overall what the market wants is good gameplay. Most people aren't running benchmarks for fun beyond maybe the first 10mins of getting a new bit of hardware. People buy games not tech demos. It's just that it's a harder thing to communicate on websites and in marketing. The games that stick are the games that people have fun with. Whether that's just me wanting that to be the case or not I don't know. But it is what I think people want whether they say it or not.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

BigBadJohn

I think Sony and Nintendo should get together and make a console that blows Microsoft out of the water. The PlayStation Switch would have the strengths of both consoles and all the best IPs. I know it's been tried before but let bygones be bygones.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

AlliMeadow

@Mellor2000 don't know if you're sarcastic and not, but that is a terrible idea. We need competition. Having 4 big gaming platforms is wonderful for the consumers. Going down to 2 would not be good. We'd get more expensive consoles, more expensive games, and perhaps less games, because they wouldn't need to compete in the same manner they do now.

Of course games compete against other forms of entertainment, still competition within a "niche" is healthy.

AlliMeadow

Nintendo Network ID: Alli-V-Meadow

BigBadJohn

@AlliMeadow I was being sarcastic but thank you for the informative rebuttal.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Grumblevolcano

Yeah, Microsoft and Sony are what prevents Nintendo from releasing only like 2 games a year.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FGPackers

skywake wrote:

Games:
Gameplay > Art Direction > Mobility (portable/streaming) > Framerate > Resolution > Graphics

Hardware:
Quiet > Cool > Horsepower > Compact

(my opinions, obviously)

Holy words! Really! Statement not of the day, of the year! In the last years i always hear people talking about cartoony graphics and how it is bad. Well, why should i play a bad inspired, realisticly graphical game, when i can choose what will be hands down the best game in the history with a fantastic gameplay, a well done physics engine for the first time in an open world (hello The Witcher 3??), and an art direction that is simply jaw dropping??? I think that in the last 2 generations the gaming community lost what is really important about gaming...

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

Octane

@BiasedSonyFan I appreciate what you're trying to do with the Metacritic comparison, but I don't think that was what I was talking about. The ''average'' gamer isn't the person that goes online to talk about video games, and certainly isn't going to rate the game on Metacritic. FIFA 17 only has 468 user ratings, that's nothing compared to the umpteen million copies it sold. Many people just complain about the fact that it's the same thing over again. Although I agree, does that make it a bad game? Just something to ponder about. Would FIFA 17 be better if all the previous FIFA games didn't exist? It would get a higher score, but the game is still the same in the end. I'm personally not a big fan of user ratings on Metacritic, it's mostly 10s and 0s, and the result is a tug of war that is generally skewed to one side.

@rallydefault In all fairness to Stardew Valley, the Steam sales are public, everyone can see them. If the developer doesn't release the PS4 or Xbox sales, there's nothing to write about.

Also, I know that this is going a bit more off-topic, but I'm actually willing to give The Order 1886 a try some day. I know that it probably won't hold up as a ''video game'', but I'm interested to see how well it holds up as a piece of entertainment.

FGPackers wrote:

when i can choose what will be hands down the best game in the history with a fantastic gameplay, a well done physics engine for the first time in an open world (hello The Witcher 3??), and an art direction that is simply jaw dropping???

I think you just described The Witcher 3

Octane

FGPackers

Octane wrote:

No way! Zelda >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TW3

FGPackers

FragRed

FGPackers wrote:

Octane wrote:

No way! Zelda >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TW3

Guys, please. In three weeks time we will all be proved how much more awesome Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild really is compared to the Witcher 3. And as the Switch is portable, we can constantly force that fact in everyone else's face

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

skywake

Octane wrote:

I know I can't make an informed opinion given that I didn't play #3. But I got The Witcher 2 for almost nothing when The Witcher 3 was about to come out. Just to see what the hype was all about. I could not get into that game at all. The combat was just too clunky and the game in general just really didn't grab my attention at all. So I did not even bother with #3. Maybe they fixed the gameplay but I haven't heard anything about that game that talks about the fantastic combat. I'm pretty sure that's not why people like it.

I'm sure with The Witcher 3 in particular the tech is fantastic and the story is massive. Probably the world is equally as big and impressive. But give me something like Wind Waker with a smaller world, less impressive tech but fantastic art direction and gameplay any day. Or better yet Breath of the Wild which appears to be delivering on both!

Opinions! Speculation! Ill informed rants! This is what the internet is all about.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

FGPackers

BiasedSonyFan wrote:

Again, I never said that graphics were the only factor for the popularity of certain video games or even the most important factor. But I don't think you can deny that graphics aren't still a major factor, and I think many gamerd are skipping Nintendo games for that reason (including Nintendo games that are marketed to older audiences).

You just contradicted yourself...and the fact that that phrase is quite real is demonstrating that the gaming world is going that way, the wrong one

FGPackers

jump

^Witcher 3 is a big jump from Witcher 2.

As much as I'm hyped for BOTW, before I'm celebrating it as "the greatest game ever take that Sony Fanbois" as I'm seeing posted, it still has a lot of questions hanging over it for me. Like if the big open world has enough stuff to do in it, is the slate a good enough replacement for items, are the sidequests any good etc as Ninty has just been selling the open world and not much else which is all well and good but this isn't the N64 where Hyrule Field will wow people and open world games have been done to death for years now.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

KirbyTheVampire

I think Zelda can shine in the story aspect, for sure. Whether it can shine as an open world game remains to be seen.

I think you guys are really jumping the gun on the Zelda and TW3 comparisons. Most of you probably haven't even played TW3, and Zelda isn't out yet. TW3 is one of the most popular and most critically acclaimed games of this generation. It's often touted as an example of an open world game done right. Saying a game you know almost nothing about is gonna be way better than TW3, a game you've never even played, is the height of fanboyism. Who knows? BoTW might completely bomb, or at least not be the masterpiece everyone is expecting.

KirbyTheVampire

Octane

@BiasedSonyFan I prefer to use no data than bad data to be honest. I think that the critic reviews portray a more accurate perspective in my opinion.

Going in on the topic on films and books. Take Avatar (the 2009 film) for example. I've watched it twice in the theaters back in 2009. Still don't think the film it is great; The story was pretty lackluster and predictable in my opinion, but from a technical perspective, it was very impressive. As a product of entertainment, I still think it was good. I find it difficult to judge a product on just a single factor. Maybe a game falls short in being a game (using rallydefault's The Order 1889 as an example), but it can still be entertaining.

@skywake The general consensus is that The Witcher 3 is miles better than the previous entries. I wouldn't recommend anyone playing the first two games if they're interested in playing TW3, and I can't see myself going back to the original or TW2 either. I think that some of that clunkiness is still present in TW3, but as an open world game, it's probably one of the better games to date. Combat is nothing special, it does what it has to do, but that's it. Other than that, I can't say anything anything bad about the lore, the story, the world building, it's all really good. The sheer amount of content is maybe one of the most impressive things in the game. I think I spend over 150 hours in the main game, and I have still things left to do. The DLC are equally impressive, the first one adding an additional 20-30 hours of content, and the second DLC twice that amount. It also helps that I'm into the books, and although the game isn't officially canon, they complement each other well.

Ultimately, every game has its flaws. TW3 may fall short on its rather simplistic combat. I'm equally worried that BOTW may fall short on content, as I still think it looks quite empty. Oh, and by the way, The Wind Waker sported some of the most impressive tech for a 2002 game in my opinion! It was most definitely ahead of its times on a technical level.

Octane

LzWinky

I think once graphics became 1080p, they hit a brick wall. Anything after this is just superficial, especial the 4K

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Grumblevolcano

skywake wrote:

Games:
Gameplay > Art Direction > Mobility (portable/streaming) > Framerate > Resolution > Graphics

Hardware:
Quiet > Cool > Horsepower > Compact

(my opinions, obviously)

By cool you mean as in temperature regulation, right? If so I agree with the hardware section, for games mine would be:

Gameplay > Framerate > Art Direction > Resolution > Graphics > Mobility

With framerate, I'm not really on about must be 60fps type situation but more about stability (e.g. stable 30fps being better than unstable 60fps).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

BigBadJohn

I've played Witcher 3 and found it quite slow. I put a number of hours into it but just didn't find it that compelling.

Does anyone know if eshop vouchers will work on the Switch or is it just another mystery that Nintendo have yet to reveal? I've essentially got £59 left over in credit at my Game store and not sure what to do with it.

Edited on by BigBadJohn

SW-5512-0541-9236

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic