Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 10,021 to 10,040 of 69,981

IceClimbers

@jump That quote came from Miyamoto, who is absolutely the wrong person to be asking that type of question. Plus things get lost in translation.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Haruki_NLI

@jump What I've seen and been told yeah it is, if youre not a prat about developing. As I said, developers really shouldn't brute force games to work, leaving it uncompressed or unoptimised and expecting a platforms raw power to fill the gaps (Which is sadly what as a student I have been taught, and it p***** me off). But of course all the stories and talks I've had about Switch could be untrue, I dunno. Got to wait and see.

@Spanjard that got deep real fast.

But hey, it /could/ have a PS4 inside it. If you didn't mind it at least doubling in size, having a big ass heatsink, fans, and if the story about it running at the equivalent of human internal body temperature at its hottest point is true, searing your hands off while being so costly it makes Apple look cheap and having a battery that makes 5% on your iPhone when sending an email look lengthy.

But that's just reality. It cant be the definition of beefy, cheap, and good quality all at once. If I had to pick one to lose? It would be the one that doesn't smack the consumer in the face with cost or a poor product.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

rallydefault

Spanjard wrote:

@BLP_Software But I want everything to be of the highest tech even though I don't know anything about tech or how it works but give me the highest standard pls and cheap while you're at it! Fun!? I don't need fun, I need numbers! I visit these forums to learn about pascal and dockall and bout tegra x1 and segra d1. Practicality!? I don't need that! I want an ugly box that screams and shouts power out of its bulky belly. I want it to be strong just like my mom and fat just like my... dad.

My true feelings.

The scary thing, though, is that you're accurately portraying the modern consumer as well as your typical forum-goer.

rallydefault

OorWullie

I'm one of those rare beasts that actually uses the browser regularly on my Wii U, only for YouTube though as the app isn't the best.I have a laptop and a very good smart phone but I like having YouTube on my TV. Why dont I use a dongle instead you may ask? Because I'm an even rarer beast that doesn't own one or want one.Other than football, some other sports and the news I never watch any TV. So if I can't do the same on Switch I'll be disappointed. Certainly no deal breaker but it'll annoy me for sure. If the YouTube app is there again though I can live with that .It'll surely be an improvement over Wii U's too if it is.

Another thing that just came to me. I really liked watching Directs and E3 through my Wii U and I imagine I would enjoy watching watching them through Switch too. That'll be a shame if we can't do that anymore.

Edited on by OorWullie

đŸ‡Ŧ🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹ī¸ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹ī¸

HappyHappyist
Here are some really good size comparison pictures for the Switch

i am part of a social group interested in uniting the world by painting it blue.
Blue blue.

skywake

rallydefault wrote:

Honestly: Who here does not have another console, smart TV, or Fire Stick/Chromecast stick/etc. to get Netflix and all the media stuff on?

Honestly. Don't be lying little buggers lol

Yes, but the Switch is also a portable device. I think everyone has a way to watch Netflix on their TV but not everyone has a tablet. I can see myself being in the position where the Switch is the largest screen I have at hand. So having the option to use the Switch rather than my phone? That would be handy.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

dtjive

skywake wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

Honestly: Who here does not have another console, smart TV, or Fire Stick/Chromecast stick/etc. to get Netflix and all the media stuff on?

Honestly. Don't be lying little buggers lol

Yes, but the Switch is also a portable device. I think everyone has a way to watch Netflix on their TV but not everyone has a tablet. I can see myself being in the position where the Switch is the largest screen I have at hand. So having the option to use the Switch rather than my phone? That would be handy.

This. I'm off to America at the end of March; the Switch having netflix/youtube etc. would be the difference between me taking my Switch and laptop, or just the Switch.

dtjive

Therad

BLP_Software wrote:

@rallydefault Yeah my PS4 is a media machine away from my PC. Or the Fire Stick downstairs...

Also 4x ARM Cortex A57 cores. Everyone Nintendoom wave approaching brace for impact because this is somehow news we werent prepared for.

alarms blaring

The internet has yet to take the damn hint this thing is an inch thick and not more than 8 inches wide and that its gotta have costs dropped somewhere to accomodate form factor and that its not meant to have its battery eaten in minutes and that its Nintendo and its easy to port to and that brute force power to run games is horribly inefficient development that really dhould stop in the industry but nope.

DoA. Lets here it,yall know who you are, its as sure as 2pm daily.

Cant gone week without Nintendoom but hey thats what happens when ya like something I guess.

In all seriousness if it does what it needs to do then great. Could you fit a PS4 in that form factor? Yes, most definitely. Would it be cheap? If you are loaded yes. Welcome to the reality of tech, you cant have everything.

Both X1 and X2 has Cortex A57. X2 also has 2 denver-cores, which are Nvidia created. So nothing confirmed.

But I don't see why they would have denver-cores in switch. From what I understand, they draw much more power than the A57 from arm.

And yet again, the GPU is the most important when it comes to consoles. And we still don't know that part.

Therad

FGPackers

No browser, no Netflix, no apps. In a gaming device. When almost everyone has AT LEAST ONE between smartphone, tablet, smart TV, laptop, PC.

No broswer? No Netflix? No apps? Not a problem to me. What i want on Switch are GAMES!

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

chardir

Has anyone seen any Switch ads in the UK yet? I mean, in the wild, on billboards or on TV, not just gaming sites or youtube.

Friend Code: SW-1014-2011-3950 (Switch name: Dii)
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: LMR-JBK-RWG

BigBadJohn

@chardir not yet but in fairness I don't watch much tv (I'm a streaming kodi type of guy) however my local game is heavily advertising it. I know this is perhaps to be expected but remembering when the Wii U launched they barely gave it half a shelf in a darkened corner.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

erv

No browsers and apps and all that - I like that to be honest.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Grandpa_Pixel

@chardir I have. If I recall it was on Universal or Fox. Along with a Pokemon Sun/Moon trading card advert

Grandpa_Pixel

Grandpa_Pixel

Emperor-Palpsy wrote:

Here cometh - the obligatory 1-2-Switch meme is born.

Untitled

Good. Good. Let the 1-2-Switch memes flow through you...

Grandpa_Pixel

KirbyTheVampire

FGPackers wrote:

No browser, no Netflix, no apps. In a gaming device. When almost everyone has AT LEAST ONE between smartphone, tablet, smart TV, laptop, PC.

No broswer? No Netflix? No apps? Not a problem to me. What i want on Switch are GAMES!

It's not a huge deal, but it's just another advantage the competition has over the Switch. It is pretty ridiculous for any portable device in this day and age to not have things like a web browser, Netflix, and YouTube. It's fine if they're not there at launch, I guess, but they should be there eventually.

KirbyTheVampire

IceClimbers

@KirbyTheVampire For the record, neither the 3DS nor the Xbox One had a web browser at launch. Whether they add one later.... that remains to be seen. Honestly though, it's arguably fluff that isn't necessarily needed - only reason to have it is to check off an item on some arbitrary list. I sincerely doubt most people even used the web browser on the current platforms.

As for Netflix, Youtube, etc., unless Nintendo is actively blocking those from coming to the platform, they'll be available not long after launch.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Grandpa_Pixel

OorWullie wrote:

@Emperor-Palpsy If I was that guy and knew in advance that GIF and future meme would become a thing,no way I'd have taken the job.I bet he was paid a pittance.

Nah he was paid with sandwiches and other delicious food

Grandpa_Pixel

TuVictus

I've never done a midnight launch before. For the Wii, I was too young, in middle school. For the Wii U, I didn't have the money. For this, though, I really want to participate in a midnight launch. I have a pre order from Amazon, but if I can get confirmation of my local best buy have walk-in stock available for (or if they do) their midnight launch, I'll totally do that one instead.

TuVictus

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic