Forums

Topic: We don`t need EA on Switch !!!

Posts 121 to 140 of 202

premko1

@Anti-Matter Who`s yelling ? And what ?
'hello ea, your games and policy sucks. Do something with it.' - do U really think they would listen ? U can`t be so naive...

my Switch fc: SW-6145-9649-2985
my 3ds friend code:1564-4008-8780
SuperMarioRun: 7635-1072-9440
AC PocketCamp: 6892-7280-610

premko1

Check UFC 2 to UFC 3 comparison....

Edited on by premko1

FX102A

My biggest disappointment is that EA still own the rights to the Strike series.

But honestly, they can remain off the Switch and nothing for me will be lost.

Then again, the last console to be EA free was the Dreamcast.

FX102A

subpopz

FX102A wrote:

Then again, the last console to be EA free was the Dreamcast.

Which, if I recall was because of EA's ego. EA wanted to be the only publisher of sports games on Dreamcast or they weren't going to make games for it and Sega told them to shove it. Dreamcast still got plenty of (critically acclaimed) 2K, Virtua and other sports titles in it's short lifespan without EA.
EA has always had dirty business practices. Don't want to compete via making good, quality games? Then just demand exclusive rights.

subpopz

FX102A

@subpopz True.

Whilst the DC failed in the sales department it has one heck of a library, if you can get it multi-regioned modded. Which reminds me.

WHEN IS ZERO GUNNER 2 COMING TO SWITCH!?!?!?

FX102A

NEStalgia

@subpopz They both own that one. It goes back to the Saturn launch when Sega launched it "available now" at E3 after telling partners including EA it would be available at holiday. Magically, Sega's own games including the Virtua sports games were ready day 1. Fancy that. It was a ploy to ensure their first party games were the top sellers and edged out their third party partners. EA vowed at that moment they'd "never support another Sega console", and they didn't. Retailers got shafted too, with only the preferred dealers getting that E3 timed shipment. K.B. Toys famously liquidated all Sega inventory and stopped carrying it. Sega built that one, all for a price higher than Sonys.

HOWEVER, EA started it by shafting Sega during the Genesis, with blackmailing them with the production of their own cartridges that bypassed that authenticity circuit after they reverse engineered it, unless Sega gave them such a deep publishing discount they were publishing EA at cost or below.

Proving that EA's sleaziness and ruthlessness isn't new, it goes back at least to 16-bit, but the DC situation was both EA AND Sega's bed.

And of course the DC didn't fail due to a lack of EA, but due to Sega shafting publishers, developers, retailers and consumers for the prior generation and a half, nobody at any tier was interested and those that were were confused. I don't think many that actually WERE interested in a DC even noticed a lack of EA games. PS2 already had that market locked all the way back then, and the few remaining Sega customers were interested primarily in the 1:1 arcade games and first party/Japanese titles.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Not to mention bringing out hardware update after hardware update, and releasing follow up consoles the minute the current one didn't sell well enough for them...

Such a shame, since both the Saturn and the Dreamcast were wonderful machines with some truly stellar games, some of which are still highly enjoyable to this day.

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: TheRealThanos

antster1983

@NEStalgia EA never actually managed to fully reverse engineer the Mega Drive lockout, admitting after the deal was inked that Mega Drive could still have locked out EA's carts. In essence they called Sega's bluff, and unfortunately Sega fell for it.

antster1983

Switch Friend Code: SW-7169-0993-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: antster1983 | Twitter:

subpopz

@NEStalgia Yeah, I remember that. That Saturn launch was disastrous. Sega of Japan forced Sega of America to launch it early, even tho SoA told them it would be very bad to do so.
I just watched a clip of the E3 in question recently (GamingHistorian on youtube, he's good for that nostalgia itch), when Sony even knew how disastrous the early Saturn launch would be and dropped their announcement speech to only saying the price of the PS. Literally, he got on stage, said the dollar amount and left. They already knew they had won xD

Edited on by subpopz

subpopz

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Yep. Count me among those confused customers that never had Sega CD, the "new Sega console" but was interested. Had a 32X for a few days before realizing it did nothing. And never even knew the Saturn existed until it was out for some time. By the time the DC came out, I was already not really paying attention to Sega. In hindsight they were good systems that were mostly off my radar as "other."

To be fair, the NoA team of Lincoln & Arakawa set Sega CD's fortunes asunder with their Congress-baiting of Night Trap

@antster1983 Fascinating, I hadn't heard that they were just bluffing. That almost makes it WORSE.

@subpopz That was utterly beautiful. Better than Jack Tretton's mic drop. Better than Yoshida's "this is how you share" video. I didn't really want them to "win" like that, but that was a corporate moment for the ages.

NEStalgia

LuckyLand

In my opinion we don't need EA on this world. I couldn't care less since I don't like any of their games, but reading what they are doing with their games (and to the gaming world in general) just makes me sad, and full of rage. Normally I wouldn't care, I would say "that's not my problem, I don't like those games - lol", but this is just too much. The world would be a less bad place without EA.

LuckyLand

FX102A

The disappointment is that EA hold licenses for a tonne of series that really inpressed throughout the 4th to 6th gens of consoles. Now almost nothing gets considered unless it can guarantee 9 figure profits and is homogonised to an extreme for a majority audience who will forget about it in 6-12 months; about the same time EA will stop acknowledging the game's existence.

FX102A

premko1

@LuckyLand HELL, YEAH !!!!!!!

Lethal

premko1 wrote:

Microtransactions, poor games, cash only... That`s why we DON`T need Electronic Arts on Switch.

UFC
Madden
NHL
Star Wars Battlefront
The Sims
Mass Effect
Battlefield
Need For Speed
Dragon Age

Just naming a few games Electronic Arts make. Pretty sure the Switch needs EA.

Edited on by Lethal

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

ThanosReXXX

@FX102A And don't forget about the continuous improvements to the faces of all the characters in their sports games. The everlasting battle for the most realistic likeness of their real-life counterparts...

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

FX102A

@ThanosReXXX Of course! That's the second on their list of most important game mechanics; after "Methods for Ensuring continuous monetary extraction from players" (with the word "imbeciles" crossed out and replaced with "players").

FX102A

link3710

As much as I've been avoiding this topic, given Andromeda resulted in the closure of Bioware Montreal, I wouldn't tout that or Dragon Age as being necessary on Switch. Both series are probably dead for the foreseeable future. The Sims has never had a good console release (outside of Urbz). Outside of the obvious sports games, I'd say Battlefield, Battlefront and NFS are the only ones of interest likely to see the light of day on any console, and... Battlefront's future looks grim after the absolute PR disaster that the second game was. So when it comes to major franchises, it's mostly the sports/racing fans that would be looking for EA, especially if someone else grabs the FPS vacant slot that the absence Battlefield/CoD has left. The sports games gap is fairly important though. So long as 2K and EA keep up a modicum of support (WWE/NBA and FIFA/Madden I think would be the key ones world wide) I don't think EA needs to be here whole hog. But a complete absence will alienate a portion of the market as well, there's no question of that.

link3710

Gandy3179

there is no EA in Nintendo Switch

Gandy3179

MarcelRguez

link3710 wrote:

The Sims has never had a good console release (outside of Urbz)

qtf, emphasis added.

Just want to add my voice to the crowd of people saying they don't care about EA's current output. Given their recent statements after the whole Star Wars ordeal, I don't see that changing unless they rethink their whole strategy.

Also, the Switch seems to be doing alright without their support. Just saying.

@FX102A That's disappointing alright, but what would they do with those IPs today if they weren't dormant? Even if they were to revitalize some of them with lower-budget/lower-expectations projects, would it be worth the hassle?

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

ThanosReXXX

@FX102A EA Games: for the payers...

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic