Forums

Topic: Valkyria Chronicles 4 Coming to Nintendo Switch!

Posts 121 to 136 of 136

Ralizah

VC's approach to permadeath is awesome, and I wish it's something FE would take notes from. You don't want to send a unit too deep into enemy territory without establishing a way to safely recover them should they fall, so it still keeps you from playing too recklessly and forces you to consider the consequences of your actions, yet you don't have to restart a map any time an enemy unit gets a lucky shot off on a good character of yours.

If I had to change one thing, though, I'd make it so that you can't just send the same unit out two turns after recovering their bodies. Or, if you do, make it a noticeably gimped version of that unit to establish they they're still recovering from their wounds.

But I'm still happy with the system the way it is.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

Apparently in the UK, which I know is a super tiny market comparatively, but apparently VC4 Switch did some 39% versus PS4's 54%, and X1's 7%. And that's the most PlayStation dominated country on the planet.

Which means it's probably safe to assume the switch version outperformed the PS4 version in NA and possibly all the rest of Europe that's not UK. Which all things considered, speaks well to the Switch version since it has been a PlayStation exclusive since forever. I don't know if it necessarily did well, but at least it wasn't a situation where the Switch version failed horribly and the other versions didn't (like FIFA, which was only 1% on Switch in UK- those people hate Nintendo gaming over there, it's not even logical sometimes)

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

Sold a friend on this game today. It was great. He saw me playing it and asked about it, so I gave him a basic speech on the fundamentals of the game and loaded one of the skirmishes for him to play. He was so impressed by the end of my demo that he pulled out his Switch right there and downloaded it.

This game sells itself when people see it in action. The key, I think, is getting people to even realize it exists.

@JaxonH It's amazing to me. If the Nintendo version of a game doesn't outsell every other version, people whine about how Nintendo gamers only buy Nintendo games. But somehow the Xbone keeps getting ports of Japanese games, almost nobody buys them on that platform, and everybody is cool with that.

Edited on by Ralizah

NEStalgia

sigh i just played chapter 1 of the demo again....I really have to get myself to open the full game, but there's just so many games. Part of me would have loved this digitally but at 12GB, I'm just not going to sacrifice that SD card space for a game I can get 100% on cart.

@Ralizah I sometimes wonder if we think the world opinion of Nintendo is worse than it is because we hang out on a predominantly UK site. I mean even Kotaku seems Nintendo friendly, even if they're not human-friendly.

I feel like in the UK a "Nintendo" is basically like an "Atari Jaguar"....that off brand also-ran system that weird kids once owned a long time ago, versus a household name that was once a common-noun to describe all video games in the US. There a Nintendo was never a "real" console, while in the US, for anyone over a certain age, all consoles are types of "Nintendos."

NEStalgia

Dilly_D_Williams

I have never played a Strategy Based RPG like this. I only started the demo. Would this be a good one to start enjoying the strategy RPG or would something like Mario + Rabbids be a better starting point to see if you fully enjoy this type of game?

Edited on by Dilly_D_Williams

Dilly_D_Williams

FX102A

@JaxonH I've found the Switch version the hardest to order on some sites (not all) but in some cases they only have 3rd party sellers with inflated prices. Been itching to buy it but I had to do a big pay in advance preorder that prevented me. Have to wait a short while for credit card to role over to next month.

FX102A

Magician

Eighteen hours in, just started chapter ten. Although I've really enjoyed the game thus far I think I'm going to set it aside and focus on Undertale. The humor in Undertale is much more appealing at the moment, and I think I have a good idea about how the story in VC4 will end. And if my guess about the story is correct, I feel better about coming back to the game at a later time.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

NEStalgia

@DarthNocturnal I'll just take a moment to say Valkyria revolution was just so sooo horrendously bad. If I were not a fan of VC1, I would have never touched the series having seen that monstrosity. Between hour long cutscenes of doing nothing at all, and over the top fantasy steampunk enemies with worse than Saturday Morning Cartoon dialogue and characters, the whole thing is just a great big flip off to the actual series. I never thought we'd get a real, actual VC4 after that.

NEStalgia

AndyD

Is the new DLC available to download? Like the "Squad E" and "Two Valkyria"? Both should have released by today, but neither of them are showing up in the NA Eshop as add-on content. Anyone know how I can get these DLCs?

SW-3806-8055-1317
DIY Needs list
My ever growing backlog
Switch:Minecraft Dungeons,Borderlands 2,ACNH

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

Ralizah

So, after 60+ hours, I've finally completed Valkyria Chronicles 4. It seems like there's definitely a lot of post-game to dig into. I'm more than mildly amused that you can resurrect dead soldiers at the cenotaph, except for Raz, for some reason. Christel being one of the names (the other being Azusa, who I sent to fight and die alongside Raz in the suicide mission) actually surprised me. Imagine the emotions Minerva would feel after Claude lets it be known that he just paid money at a sort of "pet sematary" to resurrect her fallen comrade!.

Amazing game. Definitely my personal GOTY. I like it more than the original in pretty much every way, although I will admit, as sad as it is to see Raz bite the bullet, nothing in this game is as gut-wrenching as Isara's death in the first game, and especially Rosie's reaction to that.

Roamer

Just playing the demo of this. Pretty good. Doubt I’d buy it full price though. There’s the first game of course, which I did play a bit on ps3. Think I’d play it more on the switch. And I need more turned based games!

Switch: Dragon Quest Builders 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Valkyria Chronicles, Shin Megami Tensei
PC: Farming Simulator 22

edhe

I've recently started playing this, after mostly finishing the first one on PC. I've still got a few achievements to unlock, but I felt it time to get started on it, considering I've owned the game since launch.

I've just passed the first Siegval battle - in my opinion, the first difficulty spike. The mission isn't particularly hard to muddle through, but I could only get a D Rank on my first two attempts, and I wasn't going to stand for that. The most frustrating aspect was how inaccurate my squad seemed to be. I wasn't going to save scum, but there were certain shots I needed to land - the grenadiers needed to be taken out by snipers (I'd learned in a bonus mission on the demo how they can be utilised first hand, in regards to supression - and how they can ruin a good attack if you let them launch mortars willy-nilly), and gatling guns needed to destroyed before I could advance.
After a few attempts, my solution involved capturing the left hand side with a scout, clearing the area on the next turn with a sniper and trooper, and rushing the base with the APC carrying a scout. I was able to leave a single anti-tank gun, as it wasn't enough on its own to threaten my APC. So with a combination of the APC's machine gun and the scout, I was able to reach the base and capture it on the third turn. I didn't even need to bother with the Assault tanks that show up midway.

Regarding the tanks, on an earlier, D-Rank attempt, I found forming my tank up with the allied tanks quite successful - I could fire a shell at a tank, and an adjacent tank would fire one too. With that, I didn't need to worry about targeting their radiators, and I could even, theoretically take pot shots at anti-tank guns if I absolutely had to, and a supporting tank could double the chance to hit. Lancers were also able to do the same, so a tank that could take several lancer shots (each costing a CP each) can be taken out much more economically if you can utilise supporting fire.
This wasn't something that was present in the first two games, at least, along with tanks costing just one CP to command. I think I might love that even more.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

Eagle9

Well since this get bumped i too can mention that bought this back Nov 1st. Good game, almost beaten.

It all started from Game&Watch.

3DS Friend Code 5455 9594 9430.
Switch Friend Code 7313-1538-3028.

Toy_Link

The complete edition (that comes with all the DLC) came out today for $49.99 along with a permanent price cut for the regular version at $29.99.

Edited on by Toy_Link

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

Mountain_Man

Resurrecting this thread to mention that this game is currently selling for $10 at GameStop in the US. I have a GameStop membership, so I got it for $5 off. Even without the coupon, $10 is still a great deal.

The Mountain Man

jump

This thread being bumped reminds me I need to finish it, I was enjoying it but I had Joycon drift at the time so I got fed up trying to aim.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic