Forums

Topic: Valkyria Chronicles 4 Coming to Nintendo Switch!

Posts 101 to 120 of 136

JaxonH

@BenGrimm
The first game doesn't release until Oct 16, I think. And no physical release for that one I'm aware of.

You do get a 25% discount on VC1 if you buy VC4 digitally though.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

BenGrimm

@JaxonH

Whoops, for some reason I had it in my head they released at the same time. Think I’ll still go physical tho on 4. Always nice to have a shiny box to look at.

BenGrimm

Ralizah

So, you unlock "Squad Stories" for characters in your army when you deploy characters who like eachother together, apparently. That's straight-up classic Fire Emblem there.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Got some questions.

First up- how do I separate Claude from the tank? I select the tank on the command screen, but I can't figure out how to tell him to exit when my path is blocked.

Also, general strategies for troop balance? Thinking lancers are maybe the least useful, except for when they're really needed. And engineers too probably. Then scouts. Best being snipers, grenadiers and shocktroopers. Sound about right? What balance do you tend to use...?

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

@JaxonH Claude can't leave the tank, except for certain story missions. The main character in VC1 was the same way.

As to troop balance...

You should pretty much always deploy leaders (characters who give you extra command points). Raz, Riley, and Kai are musts.

Scouts are a must. They're a little more balanced than in the first game, but they're still the most powerful class in the game due to how large their range of movement is. You want at least two of them on pretty much every map.

You pretty much always want an engineer with you. Sometimes two. This is due to their ability to resupply the ammunition of other units, and of course their ability to fix tanks. They also have a good range of movement, second only to the scouts.

You often only need one Shocktrooper. You'll probably want more on smaller maps with more direct combat. On larger, more spacious maps, Raz is often enough on his own.

I just bring Kai as my sniper. There's no point in having multiple snipers if there's an engineer nearby.

You'll have Riley by default as your grenadier. She's invaluable in certain maps, and a burden in others. It's easy enough to leave her back at the camp in those cases.

Lancers are usually pretty unnecessary in this game, imo. They're only really good against tanks and other heavily armored units, and since this game eliminated the movement penalty for your tanks (in the first game, it cost two command points each time you wanted to command your tanks), you're better off just using your tanks to eliminate enemy tanks.

Random tips:

Try to position your scouts near the back. Their range of movement is way larger than for almost any other class.

When selecting which soldiers to include in your troop, always try to find harmony among their personality quirks.

Check back at HQ constantly, as you'll gain the ability to unlock new orders and see character banter.

Never use all of your EXP in the training field before checking out the mess hall, as the mess hall visits can unlock the ability to obtain new orders with that EXP.

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Great tips! Some I knew, many I didn't.

I did skip the mess hall and go straight for leveling up my classes. Won't make that mistake again.

So basically Claude, Raz, Riley and Kai (which were my main 4 non negotiables already) with an engineer tossed in, and a scout/shocktrooper depending on the scenario...

Magician

Five hours in, just began chapter three. Loving it. It's a proper return to form after the genre-shift that was Valkyria Revolution. Another strong entry for the rpg genre on Switch. I'll be enjoying this all weekend, with the hope of finishing it before my Undertale CE arrives.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Ralizah

Valkyria Chronicles 4: Launch Edition on Switch is #84 on the 100 best selling games list on Amazon right now. Seems to be selling better than the PS4 version in the U.S. so far (although, given how crowded the PS4's release schedule has been lately, that probably shouldn't come as a surprise).

Edited on by Ralizah

Taya

This game is pretty great so far (I'm on chapter 4 and just got some squad stories to do) but it has the same problem that Fire Emblem has: I really enjoy the battles but I want to skip over the story. It's not that the story is bad per se. I just don't care. Please just let me go the next battle instead of making me button mash the A button through five separate episodes.

The squad stories are fairly interesting though because you get to learn more about the side characters.

Taya

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I noticed that. It made an admirable push to break into top 100 territory, as did DBFZ, though I imagine it won't last long.

Normally I'd say as long as it matches or exceeds the PS4 version we're fine. Cause it will ensure Switch stays on the shortlist of targeted platforms. But in the case of VC4, I'm actually worried about the series' future. This game could make or break the entire series. And with the PS4 version failing to step up, it seems to lie predominantly with the performance of the Switch version.

FragRed

@JaxonH @Ralizah I decided to buy the limited edition physical version of this game today, as I just got paid, so should arrive tomorrow. Though will be playing through VC1 first, when that comes out.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Quarth

@JaxonH "Well, it looks like you and me are the only people on this entire site with proper taste in video games"

LOL! I bought the game as well. Got it on the release day, but I've been abroad, so haven't got the time to play it that much. Will give it a spin this evening.

It looks and feels great!

Edited on by Quarth

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

JaxonH

@Quarth
Welcome to the good taste club! For a while there it was looking like nobody, nobody, was paying any attention to the game. Glad to see that wasnt the case 😀

@FragRed
Well done. It's a very nice LE, while at the same time being kinda chinsy (no steelbook? Even the VC Remaster launch edition on PS4 was a steelbook). But the artbook is exceptional and made to look like the journal in the game, and the tank is really nice, and just the box itself is so big and looks great on display.

Game is great too, of course.

Quarth

@JaxonH Thanks! I've had it preordered since it was available as such. It's just that I've had too many Switch games to play, I didn't really have time to talk about it.

Look at my profile to see my ever growing Switch library.

Edited on by Quarth

FragRed

@JaxonH Just got the game delivered. Yikes, I never expected such a big box. It’s like they wanted to compete with old school 90s PC game boxes! Looking forward to seeing the statue and art book!

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Quarth

I just finished chapter 2. I really like the combat system, even though the risk of permadeaths is a little bit stressful (but at least you're given some time to avoid death when a team member goes down - all praise the medic!).

I also love the art style. It looks great on the Switch!

Edited on by Quarth

JaxonH

Ya, unlike Fire Emblem, you still have a chance of saving them after they go down. I really like that system.

Magician

Ten hours in, just began chapter five. It's beginning to feel more like a puzzle game rather than an rpg, trying to figure out the best setups for fewest turns necessary to complete an episode. It's not a bad thing, it's just a different flavor of strategy gameplay. But here in chapter five the game is throwing more and more new mechanics at me. I'd prefer it if the game kept things simple honestly.

Still loving it regardless.

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

JaxonH

@Tsurii
I can't remember, probably decals. But just having save data that exists is enough. I didn't beat the demo but still got the bonus. Can start a mission and just save mid mission, boom, there's your save data

Magician

I finally hit my first wall. The OCD in me likes to A-rank every episode before moving on. Unfortunately, chapter seven episode "Withdrawl from Lindbergh" is too tough. I'm unable to formalize a setup to take both camps in the first turn. I just accepted the B-rank and moved on.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic