Forums

Topic: The Wonderful 101: Remastered on Switch

Posts 1 to 20 of 138

Quarth

So the Kickstarter was a success, which means the game is coming to Switch (and PS4 and Steam).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/platinumgames/the-wonder...

Are you excited for this game? Have you backed it and which version did you choose?

I have never played The Wonderful 101 before, but the Platinum Games I've played (Bayonetta 1 + 2 and Astral Chain) have been immensely fun, so I bet I'll enjoy this too!

I'm still not sure if to back it or not. I've never backed a Kickstarter project, but this one seems legit.

One question: What will the end product be for non-backers? Will it be digitial only (with the physical version only sent out to the backers) or will it hit retail? Maybe I've read sloppily on their Kickstarter page, but couldn't find the info on that.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

Sisilly_G

I strongly doubt that they will only issue a physical release for backers.

Nintendo takes orders on Switch cartridges to the nearest 1,000 units, so it would be a tremendous waste of money as they will have a surplus of cartridges on hand if they had, say, 1,001 backers entitled to a physical copy (as they would still need to buy 2,000 units).

The fact that they are offering a physical copy at all implies that a retail release is on the cards, or at the very least a limited release via Limited Run Games, perhaps.

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

NintendoByNature

I'm extremely happy about this release after loving astral chain and bayo1/2. I have a similar worry, whats In store for non-backers. If I have to back to get a physical copy I'll do It, but I'd rather not have to go that route as ive never backed a kickstarter. Hoping @Silly_G is right in that they'll release physical copies either way. Looking forward to confirmation on This, if they're willing to tell us..

NintendoByNature

DAHstroy

I'm interested in the game, just not sure about the gameplay of it. Does it just look super chaotic and confusing in the trailer or is it that way in game?

DAHstroy

Sisilly_G

@DAHstroy : There is a demo available in the Wii U eShop, though if you don't have a Wii U, they'll probably issue a similar demo closer to or after the release of the port.

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

kkslider5552000

DAHstroy wrote:

I'm interested in the game, just not sure about the gameplay of it. Does it just look super chaotic and confusing in the trailer or is it that way in game?

No, that is kind of how it is.

That's my biggest concern. I adore Wonderful 101, it was one of my favorite Wii U games, and not having had the chance to ever replay it, I feel I would love it even more if I did. But you have to go in knowing that it's not the easiest game to learn and master. The closest possible comparison I could possibly make would be to imagine if Pikmin played like Astral Chain, which gives you an idea of how weird that is.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Zeldafan79

This is one of the Wii U games i originally passed on but now that it's being given a second chance on switch I'm wondering if i may have made a mistake. I guess my first impression was that the game is more multiplayer focused and too heavy on inventory managing. Is that right or do i have that all wrong?

I kinda think maybe i shouldn't have ignored it but at the time it just didn't look all that exciting to me.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

BakaKnight

Zeldafan79 wrote:

I guess my first impression was that the game is more multiplayer focused and too heavy on inventory managing. Is that right or do i have that all wrong?

@Zeldafan79 No offense, but you got it all wrong XD

It's a purely single player game (I don't even remember the game having a multiplayer mode, but if there was, it wasn't a main part of the experience for sure).

And inventory wise... there was also no inventory, all you had to do was to use the touchscreen or the right analog (with the right analog being the best choice) to control the heroes' formation.
So, instead then collect resources you would surround civilians to gain more heroes and instead then manage weapons in a menu you had to form the right formation and the heroes would unite in the giant weapon(Punches, Sword, Whip and so on) you need.

Honestly it's the usual Platinum Action Frenzy title, just a little weirder and crazier then usual.

Edited on by BakaKnight

BakaKnight

Nintendo Network ID: Ryudaki

Zeldafan79

@BakaKnight
Wow LOL guess i was way off or thinking of some other game! Now I am gonna gave to give this another look. I do love me some platinum games!

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

Grumblevolcano

I think there will be normal physical release because on the Kickstarter it says that backing at the physical game tiers give you a "Special Backers Only Kickstarter-exclusive cover". If there wasn't a normal physical release, that statement wouldn't make any sense.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

SKTTR

I have this game on Wii U.
The only thing I would change are the American character voices. They sound artificially cool, which makes them totally uncool. With 101 heroes all sounding like from a cheap cartoon I'd rather play the bad guys to destroy the world.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

link3710

I'm dying to play this for a... fourth time I think? Just portably. It's been long enough since my last playthrough I'm chomping at the bit again.

Plus, mods for this game are gonna be crazy on Steam.

link3710

Quarth

@Silly_G Sounds logical.
@Grumblevolcano Also true.

I'm more confident in a physical Switch version now. Thanks guys!

Edited on by Quarth

ThanosReXXX

@Quarth @DAHstroy @Zeldafan79 For you guys and any other people on here that don't know or don't know much about the original game, here's a playthrough of the first part of the game on the Wii U, to give you a good idea of how it works and what you need to do in the game:

EDIT:
I suppose I'd better also add the rest of part 1, because that first clip was only the prologue...
So, here goes:

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Sisilly_G

The Wonderful 101: Remastered has just been classified by the Australian Classification Board, which confirms a local release, and likely physical, as it is a peer-reviewed rating (which is required by law for retail releases) and not an IARC-generated one.

It received the same classification and consumer advice as the Wii U version, being PG for "Mild fantasy violence and sexual references".

Edited on by Sisilly_G

Quarth

@ThanosReXXX Thanks! I think I'll enjoy it, as I like the art style and love some of PG's other games.

@Silly_G Sounds great! Thanks!

kkslider5552000

SKTTR wrote:

The only thing I would change are the American character voices. They sound artificially cool, which makes them totally uncool.

So what you're saying is that it fits the tone of the story perfectly.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

NintendoByNature

Probably another silly question, but I'll ask anyway. For non backers, will you still get access to the extra content they're adding? Such as the Lukas first mission(2d side scrolling adventure). Because that really intrigues me, and that'll probably be the tipping point for me to either back it or not.

NintendoByNature

1UP_MARIO

@NintendoByNature I’m not fully sure but I believe that will be paid DLC for non backers

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

link3710

@NintendoByNature The DLC is paid, but accessible from what we've heard so far. Though some might be free for everyone.

link3710

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic