Forums

Topic: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt − Complete Edition

Posts 181 to 200 of 499

Zuljaras

@Quarth I am no graphic whore even though I play 4K on my other consoles but the Witcher on the Switch look really good FOR the console!
Not regretting it ONE BIT!

I might even buy it on the other consoles just to support those great guys!

Zuljaras

Quarth

@linq Well said.

@Zuljaras Me neither. It really a magical game, I'm really loving it so far. Great that they didn't cut costs with the cartridges.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

rallydefault

@gcunit
Whoa whoa whoa, hang on.

Are you trying to say there are people OTHER than internet people?

rallydefault

BruceCM

So, you found the place, @gcunit .... ? How's anyone else getting on, too?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

SHULZ021

@Zuljaras Just purchased the PC version recently.

SHULZ021

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-0866-9587

gcunit

@BruceCM no, not found that place yet. That part of that particular quest line just doesn't seem to generate a waypoint. But I have found the Keira character, thanks.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Zeldafan79

@JaxonH
Thanks for the advice! That was annoying in skyrim how on my first playthrough i was constantly getting overloaded with heavy junk. I guess when playing games like this i have a tendency to wanna grab every item/weapon i can. then i realized i should only take what i need. The same happened in xenoblade. my inventory was bursting with junk i could have done without.

Zeldafan79

Mii_duck

Yes, always a relief in Skyrim when you get your first storage chest.

So, just killed the Griffin. Still utterly boggled by the menus, all the options for upgrading skills etc. I'm sure it'll become instinctive but right now it's too 'new'.
Time to look at the noticeboards I think, before advancing the main quest.

Thoughts then - character graphics are sooooo much better than Skyrim and the personalities are much more fleshed out. 'Captain nice' for example, so much going on in just a few brief interactions.

Haven't felt inclined to explore the world 'just because' like Breath of the Wild, but it's a much less grim landscape than Skyrim. I've played exclusively docked so far, and must admit the ground textures are very blurred, like I have cataracts. Not enough to be a deal breaker though.

Plan is to chill for a bit, try some side quests, wonder around, learn potions and all that malarkey and relax into the game as I feel like an onlooker rather than a participant at the moment. I think I'm going to really enjoy this.

Mii_duck

JaxonH

This game is fantastic. It’s actually got its hooks into me this time, whereas I lost interest in the other console versions. Which is quite often the case for Switch releases. I just can’t seem to get into a game when it’s TV only anymore. So I’m glad this released on Switch so I can finally get into it.

@Zeldafan79
Exact same way. It’s what made me stop playing Skyrim, actually.

I just maxed out my weight for the first time in Witcher 3, but it was easy enough to offload my stuff to emerge it and I didn’t even feel like I was slow down much at all. So it’s much more manageable in this game. It’s done well, whereas it’s not in Skyrim. I’ll say that. But this game does make me want to go back and play Skyrim at some point in the future. I’ll just have to train myself to only take what I need and maintain a certain weight to value ratio.

@Mii_duck
The sidequests are really good in this game. I’ve been doing all the side quest I come across. Though now, at level 4 I’m starting to get a ton more sidequests, to the point I have decided to hold off on two of them right now. For one I just want to get on with the story at the moment but also the recommended level is 6 for one and 7 for the other. And I’d just rather come back later when I’m a few levels higher.

Key takeaway- enjoy them. Don’t feel rushed and just enjoy it. At the same time don’t feel obligated to do every single one. If you begin to feel like you just want to move on with the story, then do it.

The menu will come in time. And quicker than you think. Once you go in there to use it enough times it just starts becoming ingrained in your brain. You basically have the map, character upgrades, alchemy to craft potions, oils and bombs, a crafting screen where you can craft various mats, and armor and equipment you have blueprints for (though you have to be at an armory to craft armor and a blacksmith to craft weapons- the menu at least lets you see what you have blueprints for, what mats you have and don’t to make it, etc.), and then you have stuff like the beastiary and tutorial menu, etc. Oh, and inventory. The biggest one. Duh. It’s here that you can swap out your armor and weapons, apply oils, insert runes into slots, repair weapons and armor if you have a portable repair kit, assign potions, bombs and food to your quick access slots, etc.

Pretty soon it’ll all be second nature. I swear I felt overwhelmed with the menus just yesterday and today I feel like I know them like the back of my hand.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Pokemon Sword, The Witcher 3, Luigis Mansion 3, DQXIS
X1X: Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: Metroid Prime 4, Zelda BotW 2, Xenoblade, Trials of Mana, Bayonetta 3
PS4: FFVII Remake
X1: Cyberpunk 2077

Jesus is Lord.

scoobdoo

He’s also lying: it’s full price with all DLC on PS4 @Quarth

FC: 3470-2213-1835

Quarth

@scoobdoo He was probably in the mood for a poor attempt at trolling.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

BruceCM

You'll soon get some quests quite a few levels higher, as well, @JaxonH .... Just where are you in it, anyway?
As for buying it on PS4 or XBox One, the physical GotY Edition is cheaper on latter. £20 or £15, pre-owned

SW-4357-9287-0699

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

It's priorities are so different from BotW's. Or even Skyrim's, for that matter. There's no sense in just aimlessly exploring in this game.

Say what? I think you've made a mistake in your inference there. There's an absolute mountain of optional content off the beaten path in this game. It's very much equivalent to Skyrim in this regard. Maybe it's slightly more hidden, but it's absolutely there.

Don't take my word for it. Look at the howlongtobeat.com data:
Main quest: 50 hours. Completionist 170 hours.

And that's not including the DLCs, which are huge.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

BruceCM

Cool, @gcunit .... After doing her story quest, let me know if a marker still isn't there for that
I took about 80 hours on main story on XB1, @Dezzy Which wasn't every last possible side-quest I even had & I hadn't been to all the ? on my map, etc I plan to go back for the expansions, obviously & they're supposed to be about as long again

SW-4357-9287-0699

JaxonH

Gotta love Witcher at work

Untitled

@BruceCM
Just had my audience with the king and am now going to meet Hendrick at the Inn at the Crossroads.

I spent alot of time with sidequests and exploring so, it feels like I've been playing a while.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Pokemon Sword, The Witcher 3, Luigis Mansion 3, DQXIS
X1X: Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: Metroid Prime 4, Zelda BotW 2, Xenoblade, Trials of Mana, Bayonetta 3
PS4: FFVII Remake
X1: Cyberpunk 2077

Jesus is Lord.

Heavyarms55

I just picked up this game, and I have to say I am very surprised. The game came with a poster, a very nice manual and stickers! In this day and age just getting a simple black and white paper with the buttons on it is a surprise, so all these extras are very pleasantly surprising!

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me
Edelgard profile pic credit to the amazing: https://roselph.tumblr.com/

Dezzy

@Heavyarms55

CD Projekt do that with all their stuff. It's part of their business strategy of trying to come across as consumer friendly as possible. I think it's working quite well so far. Although that might just be because so many big publishers do the exact opposite, which makes CD Projekt stand out so much more by comparison!

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

SwitchForce

CTmatic wrote:

Hello *Everyone,

If you were to sell this game as a pitch to me to buy it....what would you say in a paragraph or less on why this game is as great as reviews say? I never gave it an honest chance on PS4 when I borrowed it from a friend for a couple days a few years ago.

Please tag me if you’re willing to lend your 2 cents of a pitch for me so I can read all responses and thank you.

I been playing W3 for the last 3 days but the first time is the hardest you have to learn the control moves and it's best to turn on Tutorial if your not familiar with the controls. Once you get the controls learned the rest is how you use the combo and what you choose to do. I am at the first town with Quest and those are just a blast to run on. But remember make sure to explore everywhere when you take the quest you will find surprises. My first Boss fight was awesome because of my grinding around I found all the ingredients needed to kill it faster. So follow the tutorials and explore but be ready to fight when needed and learn your spells-those work wonders. After that I been running and exploring and killing monsters 4-6 each day so far. This is just like how I spent on BOTW and need to get back to it. Also make sure to get the latest Switch v2 if you can get that just to improve the all around gaming experiences.

SwitchForce

Ralizah

Dezzy wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

It's priorities are so different from BotW's. Or even Skyrim's, for that matter. There's no sense in just aimlessly exploring in this game.

Say what? I think you've made a mistake in your inference there. There's an absolute mountain of optional content off the beaten path in this game. It's very much equivalent to Skyrim in this regard. Maybe it's slightly more hidden, but it's absolutely there.

Don't take my word for it. Look at the howlongtobeat.com data:
Main quest: 50 hours. Completionist 170 hours.

And that's not including the DLCs, which are huge.

You're misinterepreting me. I'm not saying this game isn't stuffed to the gills with content. It obviously is. Maybe too much. Looking at my quest list earlier, I have, like, 10+ side quests available atm, 8 or so contracts for monsters to kill, 6+ main story missions... no, in terms of content, you could probably pay 2x or 3x base retail price and still get, like, an hour of fun of gameplay for every dollar spent.

The Witcher 3 is a very organized, list-based, map icon driven experience, though. There are unknown locations or events on your map that you set your medieval GPS to and then ride your horse through a lot of nothingness for a few minutes to get to. Wash, rinse, repeat. The game is designed to constantly direct your attention toward menus, the map, etc. so that you can mark stuff off the checklist, and it wants you to do in as straightforward a manner as possible. Geralt controls like he has a long tube up his butt, and lacks the ability to do almost any sort of platforming, so it's clear the designers wanted you to stick to roads and whatnot as you're traveling. They even helpfully make it where your horse steers itself if you hold down the gallop button.

Which isn't to say there aren't some secrets or things to find. On a few main story missions, I've poked around a bit and been rewarded with some cool new gear. And I did stumble across some sort of cave at one point where I picked mushrooms. But, in general, TW3 leans away from this style of game design.

Skyrim has a big narrative focus, but there's also a spontaneity to the way the map is designed, so that you're tempted to go wander off and explore stuff between quests. It also has an exploitable system that basically allows you to jump up mountains and so on. Not ideal, necessarily, but you're allowed to be creative or weird to some extent.

BotW has its weaknesses, but what I really love about it is how it centers and immerses the player in its world. The game is deliberately designed to push players in the direction of constantly engaging with their environment. Waypoints you set in the game are viewable through the sheikah slate, meaning you don't really need it to orient yourself constantly with the map and mostly rely on your observations about the topology of the landscape instead. Little puzzles are hidden everywhere. Basically every aspect of the open world is useful in some way. And it's designed so that there's almost always something interesting to investigate or do. Most importantly, it's a game steeped in a sense of awe and danger, where you're both struggling to survive and constantly trying to figure out why things are happening, or how things work. This even extends to the way certain shrine side-quests are designed.

The Witcher 3 is a pretty good game. It's very cinematic, the visuals are absolutely gorgeous on PC at 60fps, the music is top-notch, and it's stuffed with deep lore and well-written scenarios. What it is not, however, is a game that encourages getting lost in its world and gradually mastering an open world that is like a beast all its own. It's not really a game where I feel like I'm exploring. And that's OK, because it does a lot of other stuff well.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

BruceCM

Nice, @JaxonH .... Do keep us updated! Along with everyone here, please
I'm often going off road, @Ralizah! As long as you're enjoying it, though

SW-4357-9287-0699

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic