Forums

Topic: The Switch Recommendations Thread

Posts 961 to 980 of 2,188

Magician

Geekfest84 wrote:

Hi guys, can anybody help me choose between Divinity Original sin 2 and the witcher 3 for next months game purchase please? I promised the wife I'd only buy one, and I'm a man of my word. Just can't make up my mind which to get. Got stung by pillars of eternity recently and ended up getting a refund. The more I played it the more it seemed broken. Don't really want that to happen again....

Thank you 😊

Tough call. Both are considered two of the top 20 games from the past five years. It all comes down to the genre I suppose. You've played PoE, if you like that genre of game then give Divinity II a go. But my personal bias recommends The Witcher III. I still consider it to be the finest game on this generation of consoles.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,234 games (as of March 12th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Geekfest84

I must admit I'm a big fan of both, but leaning more towards divinity at the min. Thanks 👍

Geekfest84

NintendoSlav

Can someone please recommend a good point-and-click game? I was never a huge fan of the genre but I played it as a kid and after picking up Office Quest for $1 I'm in love with the concept. Mainly looking for something with challenging (yet fair) puzzles. I've found a few options so hopefully someone can help narrow it down if they've played any of these: Thimbleweed Park, Broken Sword, IA, Silence, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Phoenix Wright.

I'm leaning towards Thimbleweed park but happy for suggestions. Thanks!

NintendoSlav

BruceCM

Tumbleweed Park is good if you like the weirdness, @NintendoSlav .... Broken Sword is great & Phoenix Wright trilogy are, too! Secret Files Tunguska & Puritas Codis are equally good, as well

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

darkfenrir

If you want something that just released, it seems AI: The Somnium Files are pretty good. I haven't picked it up since I want to wait for sales though

darkfenrir

Magician

JustaDucc wrote:

Does anyone have some good story-driven games on they'd like to recommend?

My default recommendation is Steins;Gate Elite. However, it's a visual novel that serves up 40 hours of text walls. Not the most appealing genre for most western gaming tastes. I would hardly consider it to be a game if you didn't get to make pivotal choices once in every long while.

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

secretdugeon

which final fantasy would you recomend for a noob who has never played one?

secretdugeon

BruceCM

VII or IX, @secretdugeon .... Depending how much the graphics of them matter to you, since former hasn't aged as well as latter While I like FFVIII a lot, it's weird junction system isn't great for a noob & you can only get FFX with X2, unfortunately & XII is the most expensive of them

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

DenDen

Ffx whould be the best starting point I guess.
Pretty straight foward and amazing story

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

SKTTR

My latest recommendation is UNDERTALE and it took me only four years to finally get into it.

I bought the Switch version in June 2019 (for my birthday) when it was on sale, but had loads to play (Super Mario Maker 2, Dragon Quest Builders 2, Hollow Knight, Celeste, etc.) already.

But I started to get into it properly a week ago (Sans in Smash really gave me the push I needed) because well, the first 2 hours I played UNDERTALE didn't seem like anything special. On the surface! But man, I was deceived by the graphics and simple puzzles and couldn't see the greater picture. But all that changed in the following 23 hours and 3 1/2 consecutive playthroughs I spent with the game.

I'm on my 4th playthrough now, done Neutral, True Pacifist, and then an untrue Genocide (was only a Bosskiller run) and now I'm on a True Genocide route, blocked by Undyne.

And, man, I love this game. I should have bought the physical version, doesn't matter if it's 3 times or 10 times as expensive. It's probably sold out everywhere. I'm way too late to the party.

It might sound weird to compare it to my other RPG of the decade, Xenoblade Chronicles X, but UNDERTALE is pretty much the only other contestant to win my RPG of the decade award. If beating the game, especially True Pacifist, isn't mindblowing enough, just wait how much else there's hidden. I feel like UNDERTALE filled a hole, or several holes in my gamer heart.

And here it goes, UNDERTALE, the second RPG since the beginning of 2011 that I put next to my all-time favourites EarthBound, Chrono Trigger, and Terranigma, (and Xenoblade Chronicles X).

Oh yeah, obligatory tldr-rating:

UNDERTALE
Total Playtime: 25+ hours.
Rating: 10/10.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

DenDen

@SKTTR
Good review BUT personally I dont belive in 10/10 there can always be something better, nothing is PERFECT.

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

SKTTR

@DenDen

I gave a lot of RPGs a 10/10.

Secret of Mana (SNES)
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance & Radiant Dawn (Gamecube, Wii)
Paper Mario 1 2 3 (N64, Gamecube, Wii)
MOTHER 3 (GBA)
Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)
The Last Story (Wii)
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)
Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Switch)

Believe me there are way more 9's and 8's, many RPGs that I also like, just not that much.

But the one's I mentioned,
Chrono Trigger, Terranigma, Earthbound, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and UNDERTALE,
they are even stronger 10's, they almost deserve an 11/10.

I don't see a 10/10 as a perfect game, but as a game that is so original and fun, and so special that others in the genre pale in comparison.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

LzWinky

I agree. 10/10 doesn’t really mean perfect. Rather it means a game’s pros far outweigh any cons it would have.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

secretdugeon

thanks for those recommendations guys. with it being close to halloween what scary games are out there that can get me in the scary mood?

secretdugeon

HeroOfCybertron

@secretdugeon Iv'e read that Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Night Slashers Ideal for Halloween time or something like that and it's on sale on the eshop for $3.99 till tomorrow.

Opps I got my dates mixed up I thought was the 21st and tat Night Slashers was still on sale. sorry

Edited on by HeroOfCybertron

Bah weep granah weep nini bong

Magician

secretdugeon wrote:

thanks for those recommendations guys. with it being close to halloween what scary games are out there that can get me in the scary mood?

Well there are the popular AAA franchises, Doom and Resident Evil. Doom 2016 and Resident Evil 1 are mandatory gaming, imo. But if you're willing to try other genres I highly recommend Yomawari (isometric adventure), Outlast (first person adventure), Little Nightmares (3D puzzle/platformer), Death Mark (point'n'click), and The Count Lucanor (2D adventure) as AA-quality alternatives, and in that order.

toiletduck

So just curious: what's currently considered the best d-pad option for the left joycon of the regular Switch? Is that still the Hori? Since SNES now is a thing I might need one.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

MartieChick09

Hi everyone! I'm new to this community but I've loved Nintendo all my life and I'm looking into getting a Switch over Black Friday. I've got mostly all the other systems too, and while I liked the Wii U and still use it, there aren't any new games coming out, so I thought I would check out the Switch.

Two questions: 1. Do you know of good grips for the joycons that I could use as separate controllers? I've looked at some silicone ones and some grips that go on the whole system, but I'm not sure what I'll like. I just know I want something with more of a grip/bump/handle on the back so the controller is not so flat (really uncomfortable for me, even though I have tiny hands). 2. What do you recommend for a good case? Anyone use this one? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MP1BLR4/?coliid=I20R4D8263J11I&a...

MartieChick09

Dpullam

I actually highly recommend Unravel 2, as long as you have a friend to play with. I have already had quite a few hilarious experiences with the game that I won't forget, and the extra challenge rooms are so fun.

Gamertag: DeePullThree
Switch Friend Code: SW-2321-5988-1019
PlayStation 5 User Profile: DeePullThree

Dpullam

@MartieChick09 I don't use that one exactly, but I use a similar one and it works pretty darn good. Doesn't look like you could go wrong with that one.

Gamertag: DeePullThree
Switch Friend Code: SW-2321-5988-1019
PlayStation 5 User Profile: DeePullThree

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic