Forums

Topic: The Switch Recommendations Thread

Posts 1,161 to 1,180 of 2,207

Loonatic

I'm giving my niece a Switch Lite and I already have Animal Crossing and Mario Kart 8. I'm looking for one more game. Since Animal Crossing is like a simulation game and Mario Kart a racing game I want to get some king of adventure game. Mario Odyssey I feel might be too hard to start with. Kirby Star Allies (on sale for $40), Luigi's Mansion 3, Yoshi's Crafted World, Donkey Kong Country (on sale for $40) are the ones I'm looking at.

Any suggestions or other games to consider? Thank you!

Edit: Forgot to mention she is 6 so I want to buy a game that is pretty easy. Obstacles like puzzles may be too much. It's her first game system.

Edited on by Loonatic

Loonatic

WoomyNNYes

@Loonatic If you think Mario Odyssey could be too hard, I think Luigi's Mansion 3 is maybe a bit too tough for them to search and find things in the game, if they are new to gaming. I struggled to find games my young nieces could play. 6, 8, 12 years old. If I unlocked worlds in Mario Odyssey, they loved roaming around, especially Sand Kingdom. I wish I had better answers for you. I hope someone else can suggest games they've had success with for younger family memebers.

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Krull

@Loonatic My eldest played through and beat Kirby Star Allies aged about eight, so that is definitely an option. It’s not super long, though. The then five-year-old had a good time with it too. It’s a very pretty, vibrant game. And easy, but not in a bad way.

All depends on your niece’s age, really, and familiarity with games. I’d say Kirby or Yoshi are your best bet for slightly younger kids, Mario Odyssey shouldn’t be ruled out, but Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is probably far too hard.

One more alternative I’ll throw out there, especially if your niece is allowed to go online, is Splatoon 2. My eldest had a ball with that, and it’s still the one she most wants to go back to.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Loonatic

Thank you for the replies! That helped me rule out Luigi's Mansion 3 and Donkey Kong Country. Kirby Star Allies seems to be a pretty safe bet and it's on sale so that's the leading candidate with Yoshi Crafted Road down the road. I also have a 6 year old nephew and he has trouble with Mario Odyssey which is why I'm kind of avoiding it for my niece.

Loonatic

Benjoo

@Loonatic hey I have 2 daughters, 5 and 7 they both have been enjoying yoshi since release. From the list of options you gave I'd recommend that the most. They also like to play Mario maker 2 (I make the levels), mario kart and just dance 2019 (bought it for £12 earlier this week).
I have Mario Odysessy, Luigi, new super Mario Deluxe u, Zelda Botw and feel like They are not ready for any of those games yet. Just my thoughts, hope it helps!

Benjoo

Louise29

hello everyone is there any games I can play on the switch I have specal needs bad hand and eye hand and eye coordination

https://4drclanforum.com/

Ralizah

@Louise29 Well, we'd need to know more about whatever your limitations are, but, based purely on the description you provided, I'd say turn-based games and most RPGs more generally would probably be a good fit. Have you tried playing something like Pokemon or Dragon Quest XI S?

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Louise29

Ralizah wrote:

@Louise29 Well, we'd need to know more about whatever your limitations are, but, based purely on the description you provided, I'd say turn-based games and most RPGs more generally would probably be a good fit. Have you tried playing something like Pokemon or Dragon Quest XI S?

I have all of the Pokemon games, I am not great at games where you have to push lots of buttons

Krull

@Louise29 There is a long list of good to great turn-based RPGs and puzzle games that should work for you, if you like those kinds of games. As you have all the Pokemon games, I’m guessing you do.

RPGs
Octopath Traveler
Final Fantasy VII-IX & possibly XII (you may want to fiddle with settings on FF7-9 so the time pauses when your gauges fill up - it’s explained in game, if you’re not already familiar with it)
Fire Emblem Three Houses - this would be my top suggestion, TBH. The story/stories is/are a lot of fun, and the gameplay is pretty engrossing.
Mercenaries Saga - cheap but well-made tactical RPGs
Mario vs Rabbids - highly rated tactical RPG, and on sale at the moment (and fairly often, TBH)

Puzzle games
Baba Is You
Human Resource Machine - these are two very challenging games, but it’s your grey cells that will be put to the test, not your reflexes
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney trilogy - brilliant puzzle/visual novel combination. If you haven’t played them before on DS or mobile, they’re well worth your time

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Louise29

Krull wrote:

@Louise29 There is a long list of good to great turn-based RPGs and puzzle games that should work for you, if you like those kinds of games. As you have all the Pokemon games, I’m guessing you do.

RPGs
Octopath Traveler
Final Fantasy VII-IX & possibly XII (you may want to fiddle with settings on FF7-9 so the time pauses when your gauges fill up - it’s explained in game, if you’re not already familiar with it)
Fire Emblem Three Houses - this would be my top suggestion, TBH. The story/stories is/are a lot of fun, and the gameplay is pretty engrossing.
Mercenaries Saga - cheap but well-made tactical RPGs
Mario vs Rabbids - highly rated tactical RPG, and on sale at the moment (and fairly often, TBH)

Puzzle games
Baba Is You
Human Resource Machine - these are two very challenging games, but it’s your grey cells that will be put to the test, not your reflexes
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney trilogy - brilliant puzzle/visual novel combination. If you haven’t played them before on DS or mobile, they’re well worth your time

thanks for your help

Lucarianzx

I don't really know what I should play now since I have like another month of quarantine probably, I'm really considering Dark Souls but I don't know what other good RPGS I should play. Any ideas? (I beat botw and can't finish pokemon sword for whatever reason)

I don't like Monster Hunter.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCySCtUppltv_WhFobC0Rq8w? (My safe place)
I'm probably listening to green day right now.

Anti-Matter

@Lucarianzx
Try FF X/X-2 HD, FF XII TZA, Earthlock, Lost Sphear, World of Final Fantasy MAXIMA, FF VIII Remaster, Chocobo Mystery Dungeon Every Buddy.

Anti-Matter

darkfenrir

@Lucarianzx I think I'll recommend something along the lines of:

If you want something classic, FF9 is really good

Something comfortable and have demo for you to try, Dragon Quest XI S

Want ATB and still turn based but wants a little twist on it, give World of Final Fantasy a spin

I really want to recommend Crosscode as well but iirc it's not out yet on eshop You can try it out on your pc though since it has demo on steam

darkfenrir

Lucarianzx

@anti-matter I'll look into ff, but I've heard good things about lost sphear, and it's relatively cheap so I'll give that a try to see how it is.

Lucarianzx

@darkfenrir I was really considering Dragon Quest since I played the demo already and heard good things about it, so honestly I'll probably get that.

darkfenrir

@Lucarianzx have fun Dragon Quest is really comfortable- like it just feels nice to be played on haha. Really long too if you decide to do everything the game offers. (Even if you only aim for the true ending xD)

darkfenrir

ThanosReXXX

@Lucarianzx If you like RPGs, then you should definitely also look into Earthlock. It's a very interesting mix of classic Western and jRPGs and it has interesting characters, a compelling story and great soundtrack. It's also relatively cheap, so even if you do go for Dragon Quest, it's still worth considering. Oh, and there's a demo that you can download, to see if it might be something for you or not, so you can always try that.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

Some other games I played recently, that I can definitely recommend:

• Back to Bed - A brilliant 3D puzzler with some beautiful, Escher-like aesthetics.
  • Hard West - An isometric turn-based strategy/shooter game in a comic book Wild-West style.
  • Joe Dever's Lone Wolf - Remember those books in which you could choose your own story or ending? Well, this is that, and a bit more, because it mixes interactive story telling with turn-based strategy elements in a medieval/dungeons & dragons setting, so if you like either of those, then it's well worth a look.
  • OTTTD - Over The Top Tower Defence. The name says it all. It's tower defense but mixed with RPG elements, with a cartoonish look. It's made by the people that also made Death Squared.
  • Apocryph - basically a love letter to classic 3D shooters like Doom, Quake, Hexen, Heretic and Rise of the Triad.
  • Forma.8 - A stylish, sci-fi inspired game about a tiny floating robot lost on an alien planet, that mixes Metroidvania with puzzle elements, and binds it altogether as one big, interesting adventure. The game has a demo, so you can try it for free.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Xyphon22

@Lucarianzx @ThanosReXXX I'm playing Earthlock now and it's a lot of fun. The only thing with it is I am always moving along just fine until I get to any kind of boss or mini-boss and then I get run over and have to go back and grind to raise my level. But I still recommend it.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

ThanosReXXX

@Xyphon22 Yeah, that's true, some grinding is definitely needed for a certain amount of the bosses. Then again: that's often how it also went in the RPGs that Earthlock was inspired by, so I didn't really have any issues with it. Part of the solution besides grinding is also being smart about the way you use each character's skill tree, and the hidden objects/bonus items that you need to find throughout the game, with which you can upgrade your characters.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic