Forums

Topic: The Switch Recommendations Thread

Posts 1,121 to 1,140 of 2,207

Heavyarms55

@T7Hokage017 Heck, I don't even see anything wrong with hating something if you don't like it. But hate it and move on. Why dwell on it? Why attack people who do like it? There's nothing to be gained from that.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

darkfenrir

Anyone here played Tangledeep and Chocobo Mystery Dungeon? Which do you think is better?

darkfenrir

JoeM103

I need something new. AC new horizons doesn't interest me in the slightest (seems like an unpopular opinion but hey) and I search through reviews and the eshop and nothing seems to grab me. I like games with a decent single player or coop story to it. On the whole i normally get put off games that use pixel art, there are a couple exceptions but not many. I keep looking at Astral Chain as i like the art style but it seems like the gameplay is complicated and I worry that i wont stick with it for too long. (I try to expect to get at least an hour of gameplay per pound the game costs. 40 quid at least 40 hours)

If anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate the recommendations.

JoeM103

Switch Friend Code: SW-3487-3999-7859 | My Nintendo: Meadie

Anti-Matter

@JoeM103
Try these games.
1. Overcooked 2
2. Go Vacation
3. Evoland Legendary Edition (The games have both 2D and 3D style in 60 fps)
4. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD
5. Dragon Quest Builders 1 / 2

Anti-Matter

JoeM103

@Anti-Matter cheers I'll make sure to check them out

JoeM103

Krull

@JoeM103 Astral Chain is really pretty good, and can easily last 40 hours or more (it did for me). There is a lot to do in there. The combat is stylish and goes as deep as you want it to be; the exploration and investigations are engaging; and finding all the secrets and doing the minigames is bags of fun. The story is ridiculous, in true Japanese anime fashion. It's certainly better value than something like Link's Awakening (which is also really good).

That said, if you haven't played it elsewhere, The Witcher 3 offers about 200 hours of content and represents one of the best single-player campaigns on Switch. If you like story, then there might not actually be anything better on Switch. I'm having a great time with it.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE are also great options if you can cope with more traditional RPG systems for a story. All are great.

Cheaper stuff? Hollow Knight? Shovel Knight Treasure Trove?

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

JoeM103

@Krull Thanks, its nice to get a bit on insight into the game. did you find it confusing at all? I keep thinking that the controls look mega complex.
I've never actually played Witcher, it does look good but I've been hesitant as i wasnt sure how well it would run on the switch. I bought Doom for the system a while ago and the constant lag just really bugged me.

Its funny you mentioned hollow knight and shovel knight, I've been trying to decide which to pick up for a while with the other option being Gris.

I think the reason why I've been feeling like this is because ever since Metroid was teased thats all I've been wanting to play haha

JoeM103

Krull

@JoeM103 Astral Chain kind of parcels out its combat bit by bit, so you gradually build up your understanding of it. As long as you don't mind using all the buttons and both control sticks - and I know not everyone likes that - you shouldn't have too many problems. It clicked with me about a third of the way through the game (possibly later), but you can always tweak the difficulty if you're not engaged with it.

I'm probably not the right person to ask about lag on The Witcher, as it rarely bothers me as long as the gameplay is up to scratch. I would say, if you're particularly sensitive, you can bump down various settings for the smoothest experience possible. For me, the game runs great.

However, if you are after rock-solid 60fps, and as a Metroid fan, just go for Hollow Knight. It was my favourite game in 2018. Avoid the walkthroughs and work it all the combat, exploration and story for yourself, and it's an enormous, hard-as-nails adventure. Loved it. Shovel Knight Treasure Trove is great too, but they're action platformers, like Mega Man, rather than Metroid-likes.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Anti-Matter

darkfenrir wrote:

Anyone here played Tangledeep and Chocobo Mystery Dungeon? Which do you think is better?

Chocobo Mystery Dungeon.
The game has been remastered into 60 fps both on Switch and PS4 version.
There are some changes such as tunes change in the city, lack of "Kweh" from Chocobo when hitting the enemies, some redubbing due to slightly different subtitle compared with Wii version.

Anti-Matter

Maxz

So Nintendo Life panned it, but I recently picked up Astro Bears Party on the eShop for just over £1, and I’d really recommend it to anything looking for a novel party game to throw on the pile. At least at the sale price (I think it would something like 80% off).

I was looking for some interesting and not overly complex multiplayer titles for game party night I was throwing with some friends who aren’t quite as avid gamers, and it proved quite a hit. Partly because the controls and concept are simple and easy to grasp, and partly because you’re not directly fighting each other, more trying to survive your own journey for as long as possible

Basically, it’s classic Snake, but with up to four players running around a single sphere and a jump button to hop over the ever growing trails. And... that’s about it. NL faulted it for lack of content, and really, that’s fair as there’s little else to it, but I feel it’s strong enough concept to pay the same price as a packet of crisps for if you if you want something new to spice up a party.

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

JoeM103

@Krull Thanks, Ive found out since we last spoke that a friend of mine has Astral Chain and is happy for to borrow it for a few days to see how I get on with it, so now i guess i can really decide whether its one I want to pick up for myself. I'm glad you recommended Hollow Knight because that was the one I was leaning more towards, might wait til its on sale though, not sure.

@T7Hokage017 Hey mate hows things? You know after all that, I saved your message on my phone so i could go back to it. I picked up the legacy collection that night! And since then me and my partner have been having problems with our 10 week old boy so I haven't had chance to even start it up at all! (normal stuff btw nothing to worry about) but it's waiting for me for when i get chance.

I did end up picking up a new game last weekend though. We had some friends around and I found Super Mario Party secondhand going cheap. I'd always avoided it because it didn't seem that great to me for some reason but we all had a blast playing it. Our friends have now decided they need a switch in their lives and that they need Mariokart and Party.

JoeM103

JoeM103

@Maxz I love Astrobears. As I mentioned in this thread before i always like to get at least a pound per hour of gameplay to make me feel the game was good value. Well, I also picked up Astrobears when it was on sale. In a pretty similar way to yourself, I was with friends and thought hey its only a pound, doesn't matter if it sucks. I've currently got 15 hours out of that silly, £1 game and its normally to show other people how addictive it is!

JoeM103

Maxz

@JoeM103 Glad I’m not alone. Best 4/10 I’ve ever played.

But really, it’s core concept is satisfying enough that I don’t feel the lack of depth really hurts it. If you have more than one friend and more than one pound, I’d recommend to anyone that they give it a go!

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

JoeM103

@Maxz Definitely not alone! It doesn't bother me that the content is lacking. I actually made my friend buy the game when he got his switch haha

JoeM103

JoeM103

@T7Hokage017 good stuff mate. yeah man we've been seshing it hard haha its so great to find a game that the mrs can really get into and enjoy. (she loves watching me game but I think where she never gamed growing up she gets a bit intimidated if its remotely complicated.)
Aw cheers dude much appreciated He'll be fine just struggling to keep his milk down so its making him grumpy. We've started him with this infacol stuff now and it seems to be doing him wonders. More time to game for me

JoeM103

JoeM103

@T7Hokage017 Cheers man. I actually have mario bros U its good fun. Feel free to add me using my friend code btw

JoeM103

JasmineDragon

Looking for something new, I have a few games on my radar but open to other suggestions. I'm looking for something mostly actiony but with some depth to it. Preferably not a full price AAA game. Something betwen $20 to $40 would be ideal.

Can be roguelite, I really like the genre.

Shooting is great but I currently want something that's not just shooting. Exploration, upgrading, crafting are all pluses.

Something I can spend some time with, but not hundreds of hours to complete. (I'm in the middle of DQXI right now, and that covers my RPG and endless timesink needs!)

Indies are great. I do want a physical edition though.

Single player.

And I've got my eye on Dead or School, Risk of Rain 2, and maybe Children of Morta but I don't need another Darkest Dungeon, I have DD already and love it.

Anybody have thoughts?

Edited on by JasmineDragon

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

JoeM103

@JasmineDragon Bit of a curveball but have you tried firewatch? I would say its more of a controlled story rather than a proper game but i really enjoyed it even though it is a tad short. Worth getting on sale though.

JoeM103

RenanKJ

Hi lovely people! Hope you're home and safe! I recently purchased a Switch with Mario Kart 8 (due to its local multiplayer offerings). Games are quite expensive here in Brazil, specially Nintendo since it never ever puts anything on sale, so no new games until after Resident Evil 3... However, I'm looking into what's gonna be my next game. Do you have any recommendations for a second game?

RenanKJ

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic