Forums

Topic: The ports are too expensive

Posts 81 to 88 of 88

Alantor28

Yorumi wrote:

@electrolite77 I just don't get it. I was pointing out how you seem to have this complete double standard. You call one price market forces and another "entitlement, a passive aggressive attack. You just launch into these rants when it's pointed out and seem to get upset when people don't just blindly take your word for it without any evidence. The things you go on to imply about markets you claim to have no interest in are far from reality but seem to think it's bad when people point this out to you.

Um... How is electrolite77 ranting? I read his posts here and found no ranting at all.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698
PSN: MMX20

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698

HobbitGamer

Alantor28 wrote:

Um... How is electrolite77 ranting? I read his posts here and found no ranting at all.

Man I dunno, this has all gotten way off track for a topic that was pointless in the first place.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

electrolite77

@1UP_MARIO

Sorry chief, it was a preorder when EBay UK had a 10% off code just after Christmas. Best at the minute is £39.85 at Base

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

electrolite77

@Yorumi

I’ve had enough of the goalpost shifting and tenuous comparisons fella, especially as you’re now devolving into a tantrum. I don’t care what you call both. If you view ‘not buying a game because waiting for a price drop’ and ‘willing to pay full price for a complete game’ as entitlement feel free. The point is one is better for the industry than....ah I’m having to repeat myself. I don’t often walk away from a discussion but this is futile.

Playstation ID - GJB77

electrolite77

@JackEatsSparrows

Yeah it is pointless. I’m sorry for getting dragged into an exercise in futility.

Playstation ID - GJB77

1UP_MARIO

@electrolite77 👍🏻

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Banjo-

NaviAndMii wrote:

I have to say, I agree with the OP here...

On the Nintendo UK store, they're charging the same amount for DK:Tropical Freeze (WiiU port) as they are for Super Mario Odyssey (AAA Switch game) - £49.99 - which just seems all shades of wrong to me...

As far as I'm concerned - brand new, top tier, AAA games justify top dollar pricing (eg. Smash Bros Ultimate, £59.99) - brand new, second tier, 'AA' games are usually priced around £49.99 (eg. Super Mario Party) which, again, feels fair...but asking for £50 for a last-gen port just feels a little on the cheeky side if you ask me.

They're not all like that - Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (Switch) is currently listed for £34.99 (…)

I'd have thought that something like this would've been a lot more reasonable:
£60 - AAA game
£50 - AA game
£40 - WiiU port
...their AAA pricing is fair, their AA pricing is fair - but their pricing for WiiU ports seems (generally) a little on the high side, in my opinion - that's just my 2¢ though!

I agree with you except for those prices that are a bit too expensive in my opinion. I know people are saying if it's expensive don't buy but that doesn't make much sense to me because we all have an opinion and even if we think that they are overpriced we might buy... or not. I'd rather hear people complaining than accepting cheeky business decisions.

Nintendo is the only company releasing individual ports (no remakes, remasters or collections) with minimal additions at full price. So yeah, I have to say that they are objectively overpriced compared to Microsoft, Sony, Activision and basically any other games company. Captain Toad was also cheaper than other Wii U games when it launched so that would explain the lower price on Switch. I also believe that the digital versions should be cross-buy between Wii U and Switch, like on Xbox. My two cents.

Shellcore wrote:

@MysticGengar I think you missed the point here. The OP has said that they haven't bought the game due to the price. The decision has been made. In addition, no-one is arguing that full priced ports don't represent value to others. It's an interesting conversation that measures the general feeling in the forums. It's simple to dismiss a game based on its price, no issues there. What is more of interest is on a forum full of Nintendo fans, what do we think? The general consensus seems to be split, but with sales the way they are, Nintendo seems to have the pricing right if we use the sales on Wii U as a measure (never a great yardstick to use admittedly). From your comment, being a non-Wii U owner, these ports are off value to you equal to that of newly developed games. Perfectly valid stance. Dismissing others off hand as "whiners" and "complainers" adds nothing to the discussion.

This is so sensible and true.

Bevinator wrote:

Coming soon NSMBU deluxe ultra £50/$60 on Switch 2

It is NSMBUDXU, chap.

@Yorumi is right, too. Not surprising considering who she was discussing with. 🤐

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Agriculture

Another argument I've seen tossed around, even by the news section of this site is that these ports are selling better on the Switch than the Wii U, like that matters. So your new console with a bright future is having better game sales than your failed console? Woop-tee doo. Look at this: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/01/new_super_mario_bros...

How about you account for the difference in consoles sold, hmm? There's 68.5 % more Switches in the world than Wii Us. That means, Ryan Craddock, that the game is selling WORSE on the Switch. Plus you could argue that the Switch has a game drought now and people are forced to buy this or nothing at all.

And before anyone say anything about me now putting value in attachment rates. Attachment rates are a good way of seeing how well received the value proposition of a game is, but it's irrelevant for the profitability of a company. With Super Mario Deluxe having lower attachment rate on the Switch, it tells me people are starting to object to buying these ports at full price.

Yorumi wrote:

@Alantor28 he's going on and on about how people who want lower prices are just entitled and how terrible it is for the industry but has no real evidence to back it up. He's engaging in classic evasive techniques when someone doesn't' want to actually address a point being made. And them I'm accused of some tantrum from the person's who's last post is basically "this is futile, I'm done screw this."

One of the more annoying things to me with discussions today is that so many people seem incapable of not taking every disagreement personally. A discussion doesn't have to end in any kind of agreement to be enjoyable and profitable. For me I enjoy discussing video games, I don't even mind when people get passionate about their particular point. I know going into a discussion I'm not going to convince everyone, I probably won't even convince the person I'm discussing things with. I can legitimately say I do learn things from the discussions I have, and it's enjoyable to me so long as everyone is attacking points and arguments rather than people. I don't have to agree with everyone to enjoy discussing video games.

I love it. Brings me back to the days of bulletin where people filled pages of back and forth arguments and insults and dig themselves into a deeper hole, to eventually just leave when they realize they were wrong. Later I was going to post how the PS4 is now outselling the Switch due to these poor business decisions. We will get the statistics on the 30th of januari when both companies release their quarterly reports.

Anyhow, one thing that seems to be missing from this arguing over game companies is the fact that said companies behave better when people protest, and worse when they defend the actions of the company. Microsoft and Sony has already back tracked on a lot of stuff, and hopefully Nintendo will back track on selling ports at full price when enough people object to it.

Agriculture

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.