Forums

Topic: The port begging needs to stop!

Posts 181 to 186 of 186

ThanosReXXX

@Yorumi Well. I already thought that it was C++, and as you can read in my previous comment, I also already got it confirmed, but always nice to get some more confirmation on top of that.

However, as for the rest, I don't agree with you, or at least not completely. Yes, consoles are getting ever closer to PC's in terms of architecture and so on, but there's still the matter of PC's having dozens of configurations, if not dozens of dozens (which was my actual point and not so much the higher cost of PC's), and consoles largely and/or completely being closed, self-contained systems. And besides that, console OS's are still far more optimized towards one single goal, whereas PC OS's are not. So, in both those areas, there are still considerable gains to be had.

On the Xbox One for example, the developers of the system went into great detail to explain how the three layers they use (OS, media, games), aren't working simultaneously, but switch in and out, maximizing the available hardware power, which is something that a PC simply can't do. And although ultimately, the gains might look small to the uninformed onlooker, if you only look at the numbers, but developers have of course learned to maximize all those small bits into something considerable as a whole.

Sure, PC's can do more, and gain higher results, but only if configured correctly, and all of that is either up to the user or the manufacturer, in case of ready-to-go systems/custom-built rigs, and consoles are obviously made to maximize results straight out of the box.

You only have to look to the Xbox One X to see that clear as day. On paper, it's not even much more powerful than an average gaming rig, but in practice, it actually does manage to surpass that, on several levels, and by some margin, and that simply is because of all of the above.

Also, far as I know, GPGPU's still aren't as mainstream in PC's as they are in consoles.

Agreed about a lot of it being related to use of middleware and how most of it is done at engine level, though. Wouldn't underestimate the usage of custom, developer-made tools, shaders and/or engines, however. It almost makes it sound like developers can do all this with one hand behind their backs, which is of course not the case...

But no offense, and in all honesty, I'm not really up for a discussion about console hardware, and besides that, it's veering way too far off-topic, so if you'll excuse me, I'm getting off that train right here...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

AndreaF96

@ThanosReXXX @Yorumi c++ is the best performing object oriented programming language, by far. I never said that assembly is commonly used for programming. It almost never is. There may be hard times when you need to optimise as much as you possibly can the innermost loop and then you could use assembly, but there are very few programmers skilled enough to beat a compiler in a short piece of code (long pieces are far worse for humans). So yeah, assembly is practically never used.

I don't really know about gaming but gpgpus are becoming more and more common for applications to exploit. Examples are constraint satisfaction problems...

AndreaF96

ThanosReXXX

@Yorumi For the record: I do appreciate your feedback/additions, it's just that I already thought that I was veering too much off topic myself, so I didn't want it to go too much further in that direction. In the past, forum topics have actually been closed and people have been warned off by mods for the very act of doing this, so that's why
I wanted to end it.

On a side note: I assume you meant to say that your laptop can run multi-platform games that have been released on both PS4 and PC, seeing as the PC that can run actual PS4 games is yet to be manufactured/born. Heck, most PC's can't even accurately emulate Xbox 360/PS3 games...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

@Yorumi Haha, if it would be, then I'd probably ask you about the specs and the brand. I have a thing against Sony, a long-running beef, so to speak, so there's never going to be any Sony console or device in this house, but a PC that could emulate a PS4...

TheAwesomeBowser

This. For the past month or so, I've been wondering why Nintendo couldn't be bothered to make a new 2D Mario instead of porting the Wii U one, yet they still charge AUS$80 for every major Wii U game ported to Switch (yes, it's that bad). Also, funny story: people have actually tried to talk me into buying NSMBUDX even though I already have the Wii U original, Luigi expansion and all. Luckily, I've weaseled out of it every single time. 😂

Own up to Joy-Con Drift, Nintendo. We all know it's your fault

lordzand

I don't see how it hurts anyone for other people to want what they want. If I want ports, it's really none of your business.

lordzand

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.