Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 15,501 to 15,520 of 15,531

Dezzy

@Octane
Yeah but do you want a new game in 2 years time or 4 years time?

BotW took ages to make because everything was built from the ground up. I don't think they should do that for every Zelda game.

Even if you want a completely new world, characters and story, they could still reuse the same graphics and physics engine along with the environment textures and models. Just like the difference between Ocarina and Majoras. Or Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

Edited on by Dezzy

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

Octane

@Dezzy I take the four years to be honest. BOTW was delayed to launch on Switch as well. They could've released it earlier, but it would've been a Wii U only title, and well, yeah...

Octane

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy Port the Wii U Zelda ports in the meantime, simple solution. It's how they've gotten around a lot of potential Switch droughts.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

bluemage1989

@Grumblevolcano I'd be all over a Wind Waker HD rerelease.

SW 6041 0289 6234

Currently Playing:

Switch:Super Smash Bros: Ultimate, Mario Odyssey and The Banner Saga Trilogy.

SNES: Final Fantasy VI and Super Mario World.

gcunit

I'd be all over a Wind Waker Skin DLC for BotW.

I'd also be interested in the BotW world getting flooded and Link doing a lot of diving exploration.

Edited on by gcunit

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Dezzy

@Octane

Ahh but you need to take into account what else they'd do with that extra 2 years. Obviously it wont be just a 3 year project or a 5 year project.
It'll be a 3 year project + 2 years on something else OR a 5 year project.

So it might be a BotW sequel/prequel AND Skyward Sword HD vs just a new original Zelda game.

Octane

@Dezzy I'm sorry, I'd still take the new game lol. I didn't like Skyward Sword, and I've got a dozen copies of every other Zelda game, so I'm in no hurry to play those on the Switch.

New IP > New game > Direct sequel/prequel with reused assets > port/remaster/remake IMO. Time doesn't really matter to me. I've been waiting since 2006 for a proper OOT-like Zelda game. I can wait another five years if that's what it takes.

Octane

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

New IP > New game > Direct sequel/prequel with reused assets > port/remaster/remake IMO.

Hmmm I'm not sure that makes sense as a generalisation. Whether you'd prefer a new IP would surely depend on the series you're comparing it to.
I'd rather a new IP over the next Kirby game. But never over the next Zelda.

Octane

@Dezzy Well, alright. But in the general sense I prefer something new over something I've already played.

Octane

Delibheel

Everybody knows Rusty's Real Deal Baseball was inherently superior to The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

Edited on by Delibheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Dezzy

@Octane Of course. But I think you're underestimating how much they can make something feel new even if they use the same resources.
Majoras Mask feels really quite different to Ocarina of Time. Twilight Princess frankly feels closer to Ocarina than Majoras Mask does. Despite the new platform, engine and assets.

Edited on by Dezzy

Ralizah

Octane wrote:

I've been waiting since 2006 for a proper OOT-like Zelda game. I can wait another five years if that's what it takes.

I think you're going to be waiting a while longer. BotW was wildly successful, and a huge departure from the OoT structure. I doubt they're going to abandon the "open air" approach to game design so quickly.

Although you might get that sort of template with 2D games. I could see Nintendo remaking something like Link's Awakening.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Octane

@Ralizah Well, I do kinda hope they're going back to the drawing board instead of doing a straight up BOTW 2.

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane I really doubt it'll be a straight-up BotW 2. How often does Nintendo make direct sequels? What they'll likely do is iterate on the game design.

Of course, the funny thing is that one of the few straight-up Zelda sequels they made, Majora's Mask, feels radically different to pretty much every other Zelda game.

Ralizah

Octane

@Ralizah Well, yeah, something like MM would require them to go back to the drawing board I think.

I'm willing to make a compromise though. Keep the go anywhere stuff, but bring back the classic dungeons, more than four dungeons would be welcome as well. Don't make the bosses a bunch of Ganon clones. More enemy variety; this needs to scale with the game, bigger map and less enemy variety isn't how it works; re-skins don't count. Bring back some of the unique items, maybe even as dungeon rewards. The map needs to be sized according to the content that's in the game, no need for three giant tundra wastelands. Cut down on the climbing; having inaccessible mountain ranges in the game isn't inherently a bad thing, it allows for more focused level design. Make it so climbing doesn't rely on the stamina, but give Link a fixed distance he can climb. That way a giant mountain without resting spots, or a castle wall can be actual walls. And weapon durability is stupid.

How's that?

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane Weapon durability was a necessary system given the way weapons were handled in the game. I'm also of the opinion that it was handled fine, although I wouldn't mine seeing the system refined. Climbing and exploration should still be universal. If they want to actually the structure the experience in certain ways, they can artificially direct the player without actually limiting freedom, as they did with the entire section involving the Zoras and Vah Ruta. Climbing should also remain tied to stamina, so that exploration --> items that increase stamina limit or health --> easier exploration. That cycle was one of the best aspects of the game, and it made exploration inherently rewarding. I wouldn't mind them making it where you can't gobble tons of food from the pause menu, though. Maybe have a pouch where Link can store a small piece of food or two while climbing, but nothing that would allow the player to brute force themselves up a mountain.

If I'd add anything to the game, it'd be more elaborate quests, more crafting, a recipe book, more elaborate dungeons (although I'd like to see them maintain the more freeform, physics-based puzzles of BotW, as opposed to the silly block pushing/eyeball shooting/level pulling nonsense in previous Zelda games), and tougher bosses (if they're going to make bosses straight-up fights as opposed to puzzles, then they need to be tougher to beat so that they're still ordeals).

I'm extremely happy with the game as is, though. It's one of the only Zelda games I've played where I didn't find myself aggravated or disappointed with aspects of the experience. With that said, it's all very new game design, and Nintendo should be able to refine it in certain ways.

One thing I absolutely hope they maintain in the next Zelda games is the passive approach to narrative, where backstory and plot are tied directly to exploration of Hyrule. It was an amazing change that really made BotW come together as an "open air" experience, and that sufficiently differentiates it from most other open world games, where the exploration mostly represents a departure from the main quest your hero is supposed to actually be focusing on.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

PikPi

@Octane Ugh, yes to all of that. -Especially- the weapon durablity. Hope that is gone completely or reworked to not be dumb.

PikPi

Dezzy

@Octane

I absolutely need them to keep the shrines though.

That was the thing about BotW that I thought was the biggest improvement. They can have big dungeons too but they absolutely need the shrines.

Octane

@Dezzy I'm fine with there being a couple of "mini dungeons", but I would like it if the focus was on the bigger dungeons. Shrines seem to be a BOTW only thing anyway.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic