Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 15,501 to 15,520 of 15,531

Ralizah

@Octane Weapon durability was a necessary system given the way weapons were handled in the game. I'm also of the opinion that it was handled fine, although I wouldn't mine seeing the system refined. Climbing and exploration should still be universal. If they want to actually the structure the experience in certain ways, they can artificially direct the player without actually limiting freedom, as they did with the entire section involving the Zoras and Vah Ruta. Climbing should also remain tied to stamina, so that exploration --> items that increase stamina limit or health --> easier exploration. That cycle was one of the best aspects of the game, and it made exploration inherently rewarding. I wouldn't mind them making it where you can't gobble tons of food from the pause menu, though. Maybe have a pouch where Link can store a small piece of food or two while climbing, but nothing that would allow the player to brute force themselves up a mountain.

If I'd add anything to the game, it'd be more elaborate quests, more crafting, a recipe book, more elaborate dungeons (although I'd like to see them maintain the more freeform, physics-based puzzles of BotW, as opposed to the silly block pushing/eyeball shooting/level pulling nonsense in previous Zelda games), and tougher bosses (if they're going to make bosses straight-up fights as opposed to puzzles, then they need to be tougher to beat so that they're still ordeals).

I'm extremely happy with the game as is, though. It's one of the only Zelda games I've played where I didn't find myself aggravated or disappointed with aspects of the experience. With that said, it's all very new game design, and Nintendo should be able to refine it in certain ways.

One thing I absolutely hope they maintain in the next Zelda games is the passive approach to narrative, where backstory and plot are tied directly to exploration of Hyrule. It was an amazing change that really made BotW come together as an "open air" experience, and that sufficiently differentiates it from most other open world games, where the exploration mostly represents a departure from the main quest your hero is supposed to actually be focusing on.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

PikPi

@Octane Ugh, yes to all of that. -Especially- the weapon durablity. Hope that is gone completely or reworked to not be dumb.

PikPi

Dezzy

@Octane

I absolutely need them to keep the shrines though.

That was the thing about BotW that I thought was the biggest improvement. They can have big dungeons too but they absolutely need the shrines.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

@Dezzy I'm fine with there being a couple of "mini dungeons", but I would like it if the focus was on the bigger dungeons. Shrines seem to be a BOTW only thing anyway.

Octane

rallydefault

@Ralizah
I totally agree with the quests, recipe book, etc.

But I disagree on the story. I really want them to go back to a more linear story. By the time I beat BotW, it didn't really feel like anything. It was just kinda like... well... I guess I've done everything, so I'll go get that last item off my quest list.

That's the problem with open world games for me. Everyone talks about the "open air" or whatever, but in reality it's just as confined as any other game. People just end up working their way through their quest log regardless of how many "open air" miles you give them. I have something around 120 hours in the game, and I'm sure a few of those hours were spent aimlessly walking around, but I think most of us would be straight up lying if we didn't admit most of our playtime was spent actively pursuing something in our quest log. To me, that's really no different that being part of a more linear game.

Now, I'm not naïve enough to think they're going to go back to OOT style. (I'm REALLY hoping for a brand-new 2D Zelda, to be honest). BotW was so insanely successful, and we have quotes from the devs all but confirming they will continue with the style. I just hope they make it a tighter experience this time around. The controls are amazing, the systems are amazing, but for me BotW was just so freakin' big that it lost all its Zelda personality and really could have just been about a random pixel dude walking around a random pixel world picking up mushrooms and acorns.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

infofrog

Does this game ever go on sale ? I been watching for Christmas sale , still at 59 dollars
Thanks
Rick

infofrog

Morpheel

It was on sale some days ago

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Dezzy

@infofrog

Nintendo rarely puts its flagship series on sale on their own store. Especially not while the game's fairly new.

The best way of getting it cheaper is finding a used copy online.

Ralizah

@rallydefault The path I took on my quest to defeat Ganon was mostly unique. Partially directed, sure (the game tries to guide you toward the Zora Domain first), but otherwise I just let the adventure unfold organically. I completed a number of quests, as they came up, but I never felt like I was checking items off a list, and, generally, I only completed quests when my curiosity took me to a new area.

The more I indulged my curiosity, the more I discovered shrines, new weapons, new quests, and seed puzzles, which in turn led to me becoming stronger and being able to challenge locations and enemies that had bested me previously. It's an utterly wonderful cycle of gameplay, and very different from how I played something like Skyrim, where I mostly felt like I was either being shuffled from one talking head to another or exploring caves that never really felt any different (the shrines are similar aesthetically, but the puzzles and challenges are often radically different). It's also very different from normal Zelda games, where you're just shuffled between various locked off areas until you happen to stumble upon the right place to use your new item or ability. It's tedious.

I think the decentralized story also plays into this organically-evolving gameplay and respect for player agency, and, for this reason, I'm hoping the story takes a backseat in the next Zelda game as well. It's not like they ever have really good stories anyway. Nintendo doesn't do good stories, it does memorable gameplay, and BotW leans heavily into that.

It probably helps that, once I felt fully satisfied with my adventure, I went, defeated Ganon, watched the true ending, and didn't come back. Apparently people have been playing this game until they grew sick of it, and I just... don't understand that mentality. At some point, around 75 hours in, I had my fill of Hyrule, had found all the memories, defeated all the divine beasts, decked myself out in cool Guardian gear, and knew it was time to wrap up what had been a magical experience.

I guess if I'd been a miserly completionist who spent the next 300 hours kicking around Hyrule to find each and every last korok seed and quest I'd probably feel drained by the end as well. But I don't see why I'd do that to myself. I mean, I do plan on 100% completing it someday, but when I do, it'll be a long, relaxing playthrough spread out over months or even years.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

infofrog

baller98 wrote:

@infofrog It is on sale for 45 dollars at Walmart but only as in store pickup only https://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Legend-of-Zelda-Breath-of-the-...

Super Mario Odyssey is on sale for 45 dollars at Walmart as well https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nintendo-Super-Mario-Odyssey-Ninte...

Thank you . i just order it, it is ready to pick up . . I dont understand . I go to walmart its 59.95. Order on line pick it up at same store its 45
thank you again
Rick

infofrog

rallydefault

@Ralizah
I think we played different games. Or we're different people who like different things.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

I'm hoping the story takes a backseat in the next Zelda game as well. It's not like they ever have really good stories anyway. Nintendo doesn't do good stories, it does memorable gameplay, and BotW leans heavily into that.

Whoaa there! Nintendo and Zelda have had plenty of good stories. In fact I'd even say that BotW has a good story. The problem is there's just not enough of it and because it's based so much on flashbacks, it feels too disconnected from what you're doing and it really lacks a sense of urgency.
Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, Wind Waker and Skyward Sword all have good video game stories. They don't need to be Dickens-level literary masterpieces, they just need to be engaging enough to give structure and motivation to the gameplay.
The BotW story is so thin that you can too easily just forget about it for a dozen hours at a time, even though it's supposed to be a really urgent issue.

infofrog

I made it to Kakariko Village. Is this where the game starts ?
Thanks
Rick

infofrog

Bunnymentendo

I really hope Nintendo reissues the Zelda amiibo line in the future. I just need the Fierce Deity and the Skyward Sword tunics now to complete my armor collection...

OK K.O. > Most Cartoon Network shows

Check out my Youtube channel here if you like cringy humor.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6275-6076-4710 | 3DS Friend Code: 1049-4443-8858

Arbor

is the expansion pack worth it? i’m interested in the added content but am on a budget

Arbor

jump

Arbor wrote:

is the expansion pack worth it? i’m interested in the added content but am on a budget

It's worth it if you want more BOTW. In terms of is there anything vital you'd miss out on not really, there's a few extra story pieces that get thrown in and some useful/Easter egg items but nothing that major to the BOTW experience.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

SKTTR

@Arbor Most of us played through the vanilla version as the DLC was not available for the first few months. It took almost a year until the final DLC pack was released.

I completed the game first, and later revisited it to 100% the DLC.
The DLC is just bonus content. It's not needed for the main game, but it's a nice extra that adds content to the story, the dungeons, the items, and a bit of QoL stuff that is more or less useful depending on your playing style.

Edited on by SKTTR

backloggery.com/SKTTR

Arbor

@skttr alright, think i’ll go with that this month over the smash fighters pass since with this i can play right away but with the fighters pass i have to wait until at least april.

Arbor

XTS2

jump wrote:

Arbor wrote:

It's worth it if you want more BOTW. In terms of is there anything vital you'd miss out on not really, there's a few extra story pieces that get thrown in and some useful/Easter egg items but nothing that major to the BOTW experience.

I will say I constantly refer to my “Hero Line” on the map. That green line that shows everywhere you’ve been. I believe that was apart of the DLC unless I’m mistaken.

Switch Friends Code: SW-7591-3816-6208

Switch Friend Code: SW-7591-3816-6208 | My Nintendo: XTS2 | Nintendo Network ID: XTS2

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic