Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 15,241 to 15,260 of 15,521

gcunit

@Xyphon22 Yeh, I remember now, the reason I quit trying to sneak past was because I tried a couple of times and got nowhere near before the torch burned out. Well done you for managing it.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Xyphon22

@gcunit Yep, I think it just took finding the perfect path that was far enough away from the Guardian but not too far that you wouldn't be able to make it to the next lantern in time. I think that is easily my favorite thing about this game. There have been a million times I have done something that I have thought "I don't think this is the way I was supposed to do this," but it doesn't matter. You can do it however you want.

Edited on by Xyphon22

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Octane

@Cia The first ten hours were great IMO. Then it got way too repetitive for me. The world's simply too big for what it offers.

Octane

RR529

Too bad you can't keep special mounts like Stalhorses or Deer (especially the deer, as I was planning on naming him Rudolph...). Just one thing they could fix in the next game. The reactions of the guy who runs the stable are pretty funny though when you try registering one.

Anyhow, I have 20 hearts now. Still need one more Lynel Gut...

Blog: https://rrblogweb.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hitman GO

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

kkslider5552000

I'm halfway convinced Sidon is supposed to be a Platinum Games styled "intentionally cheesy and bad" character right now. Not just because of the smile w/ teeth and thumbs up posed that is intentionally exactly the same every time. I dunno if him constantly interrupting you on your way to Zora's Domain in order to say nothing new at all is supposed to be a joke, but if it is, it is really funny to me. I think it's supposed to be but you have all those Zoras beforehand that clearly exist to make sure someone tells you about the prince no matter how you're traveling towards the area in the first place, so it's honestly hard to tell.

I'm honestly a bit annoyed that BOTW is such a universally known and acclaimed game, because I feel like I have relatively little positive to say about it that hasn't been said a million times, despite being an excellent game. Especially since the most common complaint I've seen I haven't considered to be a huge problem (the weapon breaking). HEY GUYS THE FREEDOM OF THIS GAME SURE IS A WELCOME CHANGE OF PACE COMPARED TO MORE SCRIPTED GAMES. I AM THE FIRST PERSON TO BRING THIS UP I'M SURE!!!!

(but srsly, BOTW does embarrass a lot of open world games out there, if only because of how much enjoyment I can get out of exploring and often not even getting particular great rewards, thus making great rewards in other games seem pointless if they weren't worth my time the way this game is)

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

RR529

Just finished it up. Completed all main story objectives (including getting all memories), 77 Shrines, and 44 Korok Seeds (never went out of my way with these).

Letting it all soak in now, but will post more later.

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

gcunit

120+hrs in and I've finally found the climbing boots.

Xyphon22

Finally got around to beating it this morning after making it to Ganon a couple of days ago. I was a little let down by the end to be honest, but maybe it's because I didn't do close to everything yet. I will go back at some point to find all the memories at least (not sure I will ever take the time to find all the shrines and Korok seeds). Is there a way to know how much of everything you have found, because I have no idea how many shrines and seeds I have?

Xyphon22

Grumblevolcano

@Xyphon22 Loading screens show how many shrines you've done.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Xyphon22

@Grumblevolcano Ah, thanks. I actually remember that, now that you mention it. So I went and checked, and I beat it with only 45 shrines and 36 Korok seeds, and 3 memories found. So I definitely have a lot more to do, but I think I'll take a break to try to beat Mario Odyssey before coming back to this. I also like how it tells you how many quests you have done and how many there are total for each category. That's nice. Is there a way to tell how long you have played? It feels like I actually didn't play for near as long as people are saying they do, but I obviously didn't do everything, and I probably actually played for longer than I think.

Xyphon22

gcunit

@Xyphon22 Just check your profile page in your Switch OS for gameplay time.

I've not seen anyone say they beat it with that few shrines and seeds on their first play before. Think I was about 60 shrines.

erv

So I finished the dlc last week. I loved this game and every second of it. It feels... empty now. Like, I've done all of it. All of the stuff I wanna do. I might have missed 8 or so shrines. I know half the little rocks by name. This is it... the unavoidable zelda void.

This one feels heavy. It was an awesome ride - I hope there's a lot more of this stuff in the future. Somewhere in this thread I've said it might be the most replayable zelda yet. I may have been mistaken - I'm not so sure now, as I know too much of this world and all its nooks and crannies to be fair. Off to monster hunter world soon, then

The anatomically awesome evello is bringing the fame and glory!

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Xyphon22

@gcunit Thanks. It says I have "played for 45 hours or more." Does that mean between 45-6 hours? Between 45-50? Either way, that actually is probably more than I would have guessed based on how it felt, but nowhere near the 100s of hours some put into it. But not done yet, just done for now. And I never really went looking for shrines. If I saw one from the top of a tower I would pin it and go get it, or if my sensor went off while travelling I would go find it, but that's about it. I think really the only time I ever strayed too far off from following the main quest was I activated all of the towers to get the whole map even though 3 or 4 of them I never had to go anywhere near them.

Xyphon22

Grumblevolcano

@Xyphon22 Between 45 and 50 hours. After either 5 or 10 hours it stops going up in 1 hour increments and instead goes up in 5 hour increments.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

gcunit

@Xyphon22 Crikey, that's virtually a speed run.

I think the main reason I confronted Ganon (after about 115 hours) was because I'd had the game for several months and was tired of having to avoid ending spoilers. Before that I just followed my nose most of the time, I've barely looked at the objectives screen.

Edited on by gcunit

Curlybobs

When I realised how much fun I was having wandering about discovering shrines, odd little side quests and cool locations I deliberately didn't hurry to Hyrule Castle for the big showdown. I did so at about 130 hours of gameplay, now I'm playing the Champions Ballad DLC and thoroughly enjoying it.

Friend code: SW-4624-7969-8089

Xyphon22

It was definitely a lot of fun, and I am looking forward to getting back in and doing more in the future. My main thing is I am also currently playing Xenoblade X, Ni No Kuni, Mario Odyssey, Mario + Rabbids, Samus Returns, PW: Spirit of Justice, and just got NBA2K18 for my birthday. That's not to mention eShop games I haven't played much like Oxenfree and Thimbleweed Park. Basically, I just have too much to play and too little time to play them to spend too much time on one game, even if it is as fun as Zelda. I want to move on for now.

Xyphon22

RR529

Instead of saying everything the game does right, I'm going to list some improvements I think could be made.

• A beefier and more cohesive Main Quest line. I'm NOT saying they should do away with the open world concept, but even Red Dead Redemption (one of the most celebrated, and the only other open world game I've played) has a much more linear progression of Main Story missions, you just have the option to ignore it for however you long you wish. IMO, the Divine Beast quests were by far the strongest part of the game, largely due in part that they were the most focused parts of the game. Also, there should be at least a few Main Quest missions in every region.
  • Shrines are actually a really cool idea (the perfect chance for non linear exploration & growth), but could be improved upon. The Shrines in Villages or near stables should be actual places the populace worships at, built in the region's architecture, it's just that only the hero is allowed into the "puzzle rooms". Combat Shrines & Shrines with no puzzles (since getting to them IS the puzzle) should just be a little altar next to a sacred tree, rock, or other natural element (maybe instead of the same fight in every Combat Shrine, maybe the guardian spirit of whatever forest, mountain, etc. you're at would reward you for defeating an enemy camp, Hinox, Guardian, or Lynel causing havok in the area). In fact, they should drop all quests that aren't Shrine Quests (which are already beefier than the standard fare), and make those even better. Also, though they could be completed in any order, they'd have varying difficulty levels, and would reward you with better gear/a higher number of Spirit Orbs based on it's difficulty.
  • Other little things. I'd love to see at least one big city, and you should have the option to keep Stalhorses, Deer, and other special mounts (they're already just as rideable as regular Horses, so it makes no sense that you can't keep them as is).

Xyphon22

@RR529 I definitely agree about the beefier quest line. I honestly thought there was going to be more after I defeated Ganon in Hyrule Castle. Maybe because of the videos I had seen of Link interacting with Zelda, I thought I would be rescuing her from the castle and then having to do more with her, but I guess all of those videos were simply from the memories that I haven't found yet. Some more interactions with more people would definitely be welcome.

Xyphon22

Snadertjuh

I have more than 150+ hours in BOTW without the DLC. I am doubting to buy the DLC and then start the game again but then from the beginning. What would your advice be? Buy the DLC and play from my current safe file (defeated Ganon already, 115 shrines, 450 Koroks, most sidequests) or buy the DLC and start with a new safe file?

From Holland, SW-8284-9406-5119

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic