Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 15,041 to 15,060 of 15,210

Eel

That might be the first time I hear someone saying they died in the last fight heh.

Anyhow congrats! Did you manage to view all the memories in the end?

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Pizzamorg

I love open world games, but I just think if we’re going to be critical of series like Far Cry for stagnant open worlds, we can’t then turn around and not be critical of BOTWs world, which comes with all of the Ubisoft jank and then some.

The BOTW physics engine, the various tools you have at your disposal and the way in which elements all interact is for sure magical, but so much of the world is so empty, so lifeless and the few things there are to do in the world are repeated endlessly. I dunno if it is just because of Nintendo or Zelda brand power, but this game seems to get away with things other such titles would be utterly lambasted for. You can’t sell tedium as atmosphere.

It is true though, I do prefer a more linear open world - if that makes sense. BOTW really only has like six points on it’s entire map (Impa’s town, the four beasts and the castle). Everything else is really up to you to find. Some people love that stuff and I can certainly understand the appeal. But I personally prefer an open world game that sends me on quests all over the map, so I can create sessions of structure, of goals. To me the idea of aimlessly wandering around and potentially achieving nothing for it isn’t appealing. I am happy to get lost in an open world, but only if the next objective can always be clearly labelled should I wish it to be.

Eel wrote:

That might be the first time I hear someone saying they died in the last fight heh.

Anyhow congrats! Did you manage to view all the memories in the end?

I died like six times lol. I must be so ***** at games, haha.

And no, I didn’t realise it would literally just end and you’d get reset back to before the Ganon fight. I don’t really get how I am meant to get to the tower with so many guardians all over the castle.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Tendo64

It's always annoyed me in games how when you defeat the final boss that they reset back to just before that particular fight. Granted there are a lot more moving parts to BOTW to probably justify it unlike other games that have done it in the past.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7976-6692-0199

Pizzamorg

Yeah I was hoping I would go back into the world just with the castle clear so I could get up to the tower but I guess not.

VoidofLight

@FroZtedFlakerZz Yeah, it's the most disappointing Zelda boss I've ever experienced. Hopefully 2's final boss ends up being more of a challenge, and more impressive.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

VoidofLight

@Tendo64 Eh, the whole reason it's like that is because there'd be nothing left after the game. All the monsters are apart of Ganondorf, so if he's sealed or defeated, then they're gone.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Tendo64

VoidofLight wrote:

@Tendo64 Eh, the whole reason it's like that is because there'd be nothing left after the game. All the monsters are apart of Ganondorf, so if he's sealed or defeated, then they're gone.

Could just have the player running around barren fields? 😂

Switch Friend Code: SW-7976-6692-0199

Matt_Barber

Guardians take a bit of practice but they're quite easy to cheese once you know how their attack works.

Their only weapon is the laser eye and that's got a very long charge time with a sound effect that'll let you know when it's about to fire.

You can break the lock by shooting the eye, hiding behind a tree or other object, using Stasis+ or destroying one of their legs/rotors.

The beam itself can be reflected via a well-time parry for massive damage. This is much easier if you've got the Ancient Shield, and Daruk's protection is also pretty handy.

They're also vulnerable to ancient and guardian weapons, including the master sword which will power up in their vicinity. An ancient arrow to the eye will one-shot them, although they're pretty rare and you should save them for shots that will definitely hit.

Matt_Barber

Pizzamorg

Tendo64 wrote:

VoidofLight wrote:

Could just have the player running around barren fields? 😂

I mean you do that for huge chunks of the game anyway...

FroZtedFlake

@Pizzamorg The views are all gorgeous though and there's always some small level of interaction at least that is possibly, making it quite different from some other games that have that problem (often those being plain ugly, or reused assets.)
BotW's fields and plains are all really nice looking, and, tbh there's not TOO many plain empty ones, koroks, bokos, trees, and more are found basically everywhere

Games I'm playing right now:
Tears of the Kingdom - Switch

Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4
Ace Attorney Trilogy - Switch

Pizzamorg

Matt_Barber wrote:

Guardians take a bit of practice but they're quite easy to cheese once you know how their attack works.

Their only weapon is the laser eye and that's got a very long charge time with a sound effect that'll let you know when it's about to fire.

You can break the lock by shooting the eye, hiding behind a tree or other object, using Stasis+ or destroying one of their legs/rotors.

The beam itself can be reflected via a well-time parry for massive damage. This is much easier if you've got the Ancient Shield, and Daruk's protection is also pretty handy.

They're also vulnerable to ancient and guardian weapons, including the master sword which will power up in their vicinity. An ancient arrow to the eye will one-shot them, although they're pretty rare and you should save them for shots that will definitely hit.

Thank you. When I got the Stasis upgrade and have that lightning power charged, I find these things pretty easy to take down but there are just so many here. To be honest I kinda forget the parry exists in this game until I am suddenly required to use it, choosing instead to just dodge the beams when I probably should be reflecting them back.

FroZtedFlakerZz wrote:

@Pizzamorg The views are all gorgeous though and there's always some small level of interaction at least that is possibly, making it quite different from some other games that have that problem (often those being plain ugly, or reused assets.)
BotW's fields and plains are all really nice looking, and, tbh there's not TOO many plain empty ones, koroks, bokos, trees, and more are found basically everywhere

For sure it’s a beautiful game, but just for my tastes, I think nothing would be lost and a lot would be gained had the map been smaller and more focused. At least for me, BOTW never quite justifies the size of it’s map. Landmarks are few and far between and you’ll experience pretty much all you can do in this world within the first few hours. I understand there is a certain narrative justification to this, possibly born from hardware limitations, but just focusing specifically on BOTW as an open world game, I don’t think it is a particularly good open world game. For all the fanfare the world receives, for me very few of the games strengths stem from the world itself but actually many of the things I don’t like do actually come from the world, albeit sometimes indirectly.

Eel

@Pizzamorg easy just kill them! Or run away. You can find that memory at Zelda’s study in a little tower. It’s not actually super close to the battle with Ganon. But you could probably find it by circling the exterior area of the throne room (the place where Ganon is at), since it’s a vantage point and all that.

I’d definitely recommend collecting it before shelving the game, just to see them all!

An easy way to get away from guardians is using Revali’s Gale. They can’t really aim at you when you’re gliding. If you stock up on Ancient Arrows with Robbie at the Akkala Laboratory, those also work wonders on them.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

javierferrerm

So a few months ago I finally 100%'ed the game. Or would have, since I checked every corner and detail of the map (OCD) yet I seem to lack 200 or more Koroks. I waited that long to finally beat Ganon.

I've been meaning to the into the DLC eventually, and now that it's on sale it's the best moment yet. However...

I once read that playing the DLC after beating the game would be a waste, since most of the new armors are not really that useful in the late game. Using the Korok Mask after you have checked the whole map may also be lost.

Would it be better to start a new game afresh? Maybe with the enhanced difficulty (I believe that is only included in the DLC)?

P.S.: and 1 shrine. I missed 1 shrine. And since I checked everything, really, everything, only Hylia knows what I missed.

javierferrerm

Wewalia

@javierferrerm for the one shrine, did you get the one under the Hebra Great Skeleton? That one can be really tricky to find.

Wewalia

javierferrerm

@Wewalia the one in which you have to roll down snowballs to blast open a door and then find the third (frozen) Great Skeleton? That was one of the last ones, I really struggled to figure out how to open those doors. I lost count of how many times I skated down the slope and crashed into them.

javierferrerm

Wewalia

@javierferrerm yeah thats the one Im talking about. If you already got that one I dont know which one you missed.

Wewalia

javierferrerm

@Wewalia I've resisted checking a guide, so I'm hoping my second playthrough (or continued playthrough) with the DLC leads me there.

I only checked a guide to complete the quests since I had no idea where the missing Zora could be. In fact, I had checked the place where she ends up being, but she wasn't there. I suppose you can find her along the river, and until you miss her she won't arrive in the final location?

javierferrerm

Wewalia

@javierferrerm I honestly did that so long ago that I forgot how to find the Zora. I could have also just not done it yet.

Also, Im amazed that you found that many Korok seeds without a guide. You are missing about 200, while I only have about 200. Congratulations.

Edited on by Wewalia

Wewalia

WoomyNNYes

@javierferrerm I'm not sure you can find all Korok seeds without the Korok mask. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I liked the DLC. Much of the armor is a novelty, (and that armor cannot be upgraded) but a few things are handy, I think, like Korok mask and Majora's mask.

As with any thread, you're going to get a wide array of opinions, for or against things. You can read/watch the review for the botw DLC, to see if it sounds like something you want.

BotW dlc review:
https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/switch-eshop/the_legend_...

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic