Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 15,021 to 15,040 of 15,201

Matt_Barber

I've racked up about 400 hours across seven playthroughs myself but I've never got all the Korok seeds, just enough to get all the weapon slots and only that in one of them. Going back to do all the shrines and quests and after the final boss fight is well worth it though.

Anyway, before you do the final boss fight, be sure to have a good look around the castle. It's one of the best areas in games and full of little secrets including some unique equipment.

Matt_Barber

Tyranexx

Matt_Barber wrote:

Anyway, before you do the final boss fight, be sure to have a good look around the castle. It's one of the best areas in games and full of little secrets including some unique equipment.

I second this. I revisited the castle when I moved onto the DLC, and it's amazing how much stuff I missed the first few times around. Hyrule Castle has an amazing atmosphere and soundtrack to boot.

Make sure to fully climb the spire for an awesome view!

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

VoidofLight

@AegisPrime Atmosphere definitely, but Skyward Sword is the big lore game. BotW has a bit of lore, but most of it is unexplained, made intentionally to cause speculations. It's the one game that has so many mysteries left unanswered, and it's plot isn't as great.

Skyward Sword, on the other hand, is way more linear.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Solaine

@AegisPrime I think BoTW is the most lore heavy Zelda tied with Skyward Sword, it just depends on how you like to experience it.

BoTW is all about going around and piercing things together without being explained a lot, you can find spots you might recognize from other games, find diary pieces that explain some of the characters motives and overall just go around and find historic places where important events of the past happened.
If we are talking about atmosphere then obviously there is a big world, very few minimalistic tunes, wide fields, forests, and so on.
There are several other shortcomings in this game which you probably know already, but if you enjoy just going around and take in the scenery as well as finding snippets of informations you can pierce together as lore, it definitely is the right game.

Skyward sword is the classic 3D Zelda experience you know, linear, straightforward and with lore in some parts of the world, as well as generally being quite important to the Zelda timeline. If you don't like to pierce the lore together slowly by exploring then this might be the better game in terms of lore for you.
Atmosphere is also very different, more of an adventure kind of feeling i would say, i am just not sure if you will like this one if the other more classic Zelda titles didn't do it for you, but here goes my opinion

"on a scale of 1 to 10, she's an 11, and she'd give herself a 12" ~The Burst, Furi

Pizzamorg

How about the inverse of that question? BOTW is my first experience with this franchise. Will I enjoy Skyward Sword HD if I have enjoyed but not loved my time with BOTW?

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Pizzamorg

CactusMan wrote:

@Pizzamorg You might enjoy it even more. Thing you didn´t enjoy in BOTW don´t really happen in SS. That game is much more structured in progression design. If you like the Zelda the and action combat, SS might be more to your liking.

Good to know. I might make it my next purchase after I finish BOTW (or at least clear Ganon and whatever is left afterwards) as I think you can use the NSO Voucher on it, right?

Pizzamorg

So I’ve now cleared all the memories bar the one inside the castle, as I figured I’d clear that when I go to face Ganon. I used a guide to show me where the memories are as I do not have the patience to mostly aimlessly bumble around the map looking for these things.

However, it was good, as it allowed me to do some structured exploration. Plonking the point down on the map, fast travelling a few points away from where I need to be and then work my way towards it to see what I missed along the way.

This was, generally, fruitful. I don’t think BOTW’s world is as interesting as people make it out to be, I think it’s padded with way too much unnecessary empty, open, space which can make exploration really tedious at times. Like, no matter how much people tell me it is all about the capital A Atmosphere, in my mind, the world could be much smaller and it would actually enhance the overall experience. That isn’t to say it isn’t sometimes just nice to wander around, soaking in this world and relaxing. For a game that can be really hard, it also knows how to be really chill, too. But it isn’t a world I want to spend hundreds of hours in, personally

However, either way, discovering new locations, further growing my bond with my horse, finding new shrines, side quests and seeds, all made the exploration feel rewarding and will surely all help when it comes to eventually facing down Ganon. I am gonna leave it there for now, however, and come back to face Ganon later.

Did you guys say there is some postgame stuff after this?

Eel

@Pizzamorg actually you need to find the one in the castle and then go back to Impa to continue that quest. Finding them all is not the end of it.

There’s no post game, just lots of things you can do before/after seeing the credits. The DLC in particular has stuff that might as well be post game though.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

VoidofLight

So I decided to go to the maze ruins for the armor set in my 100% mastermode run, and I somehow found the DLC travel medallion on complete accident. I honestly forgot where all the DLC chests were from my first playthrough, so I have to rediscover them.. and I wasn't just expecting to stumble upon one like I did last night. I also scored the Helmet for the outfit, which means I only have two more pieces of the set to get, and I believe that the Helmet was the hardest to get, due to the Guardians in the maze.

VoidofLight

@Eel Agreed. I thankfully stayed away from the Guardians though, given that you can tell where the active ones are with the time stop rune.

Pizzamorg

So I can’t figure out how to get to the tower, without facing Ganon first. I can’t get my bearings because it’s drowning in brutally strong enemies so I just have to run around like a headless chicken and always end up in the Sanctum.

Considering you all said Ganon was easy, I guess I am just straight garbage at video games because this doesn’t seem easy to me at all. The first time I faced him I got him to the Daruk’s protection phase and then the game just did not make it clear how to break the shield, so I eventually died through attrition.

I googled how to get through that phase but I dunno, he just slaughters me before I can get to that phase now. I don’t know what I am doing differently but it’s frustrating too as I can’t just go back into the fight when I die, I have to skip through like eight cutscenes first every time. Infuriating.

VoidofLight

@Pizzamorg Oh, the first phase isn't that easy, unless you're over-equipped for it, or you cleared all of the divine beasts.

it's the second phase that's an absolute pushover.

Pizzamorg

Yeah so the Divine Beasts cut him down to 50 percent health, then he moves into doing big fiery sweeps, spikey floor things and various ranged attacks. At some point after this he activates the protection and that is as far as I have been able to get.

VoidofLight

It's been ages since I last faced off against Calamity Ganon itself, so I don't remember as much as I do for it's second phase.

Pizzamorg

Oh wait, so that was just all the first phase I guess. He has turned into Magnamalo and I have a magic bow now, with the princess giving me the brilliant advice of “shoot any glowing parts”. You mean on the giant, glowing, fire covered demon? I died the first time because the instructions were so utterly *****.

FroZtedFlake

Heh, yeah @Pizzamorg that's the easier part, when she says shoot the glowing areas there should be big yellow glowing spots that crop up on him just shoot them, that's really all there is to it

Games I'm playing right now:
Tears of the Kingdom - Switch

Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4
Ace Attorney Trilogy - Switch

VoidofLight

This phase is probably the easiest final fight in the entire series honestly. It was just.. underwhelming to me, given how other Dark Beast Ganon fights generally are in the other games. In Twilight Princess, the thing was incredibly agile, and the entire fight just felt great. Here, they tried to do the cinematic boss route, but failed to actually realize what makes a cinematic boss great... so in it's stead, we just got whatever this boss was.

Edited on by VoidofLight

Pizzamorg

So that is Ganon beaten. Took me about 45ish hours. If there isn’t any postgame exactly, I might move onto Skyward Sword and close the book there. I am glad I pushed forwards and got to the end, rather than giving up but I am sorta happy to be done, too. I feel like I’ve had enough.

Overall I’d say it was maybe a low 8, high 7, not the game of the generation 10/10 flawless masterpiece I was led to expect. At times utterly infuriating, oftentimes just generally sorta tedious but in between simply magical. Some of the most refined, polished, gaming I have ever experienced. The way in wish the world asks you to push against it as hard as you can, just to see how far it can bend, makes it feel so truly alive unlike really any other open world title I’ve played. It is just a shame so much of the game is a massive empty field.

FroZtedFlake

@VoidofLight Agreed, this game was amazing is almost every other way, and then we got that
I hateeee that boss so much, TP is probably the best of the series though
@Pizzamorg I get your complaints too, tbh that game can't be everyone's cup o' tea but I think it does quite well catering to as big of an audience as possible. If you're used to linear games, this games is NOT at all meant to be played like that, making it tricky to get used to at times.

Games I'm playing right now:
Tears of the Kingdom - Switch

Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4
Ace Attorney Trilogy - Switch

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic