Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 14,721 to 14,740 of 15,025

Dezzy

Lol, they interviewed a japanese person and used the word "eulogistic". Were they just trying to annoy the interpreter?

Octane wrote:

Jeuxvideo wrote:

Let’s finish with a question that has been tormenting some big fans of the series: where does Breath of the Wild sit in the official timeline?

Eiji Aonuma: Actually, those timeline-related questions are difficult because we’ve never designed any Zelda games by saying “hey, we’re going to put that game here, we need to have it fit into this period or that one, etc.” That’s not what comes first for us. But indeed, once the game is released and we’ve been able to develop our story, we can tell each other “oh yes, we can make it fit here”, but that’s not important to us. Especially since there could be contradictions in every new game if we tried to follow the timeline. If we can put a game in the timeline, that’s great, but as for Breath of the Wild, we haven’t really decided where it belongs for now.

Good to see that nonsense is put to rest.

As I've said from the start: The whole timeline was a nonsense thing someone at Nintendo invented retrospectively so they could sell a book.

It's so obviously contrived. I don't see why anyone takes it seriously.

Edited on by Dezzy

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

DarthNocturnal

Because lore and world-building can be fun for some?

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

3DS Friend Code: 0430-8422-1116

SLIGEACH_EIRE

The timeline has always been nonsense. Something that I don't care about. I just enjoy each game for what it is. This quote should be quoted anytime anyone brings up this imaginary silliness in future.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Octane

@DarthNocturnal It is, but I don't think there's enough lore in most Zelda games for them to be placed in a timeline. You can't tell by playing the game, and it's the reason why all speculated timelines were wrong until Nintendo introduced that BS triple split after OOT

And clearly, Nintendo doesn't care either, so I don't really care about consistency and lore in Zelda games. That was never a part of the franchise to begin with. They put more effort into the lore of Splatoon 2 than they did in any Zelda game. Even Pikmin is more consistent in its lore. That's saying something!

Octane

Tsurii

The only issue I have I have with the time line remains the stupidity that is the Fallen branch. And Four Swords/Triforce Heroes.

Botw can fit in either of the two branches that actually make sense, but I'm not too bothered by the exact placement until nintendo decide they want to add it to the thing and they somehow mess that up.

The thing I'm calling BS on is Aonuma saying they never made the later games wit h the timeline in mind because he literally said the exact opposite before.

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

KirbyTheVampire

I really hate inconsistent lore. They should just make up their minds and decide whether they want a serious timeline or not. That whole mentality of "there's a timeline, but we'll only care about it when we want to" just kinda bugs me.

KirbyTheVampire

DarthNocturnal

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

I just enjoy each game for what it is.

And that's the beauty of it all; each game can be enjoyed on it's own without much knowledge of prior games.

At the same time, those of us who find lore and whatnot interesting have room to theorize. It's flexible like that.

There is some handwaving at times (“it's a legend, some details are lost“), and it is something of a patch job.... but eh, that never stopped people from enjoying Marvel Comics, DC Comics, Star Wars EU (old and new), etc.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

3DS Friend Code: 0430-8422-1116

Kimyonaakuma

I used to be more interested in the lore of Zelda games but it's an annoying thing to have an interest in, the fans are looking for facts that probably don't exist. Some people might like that but it annoys me, I just prefer to enjoy each game for what it is.

There seemed to be a somewhat sensible order to things but Breath of the Wild has shaken things up too much. They've filled the map with so many Easter eggs that it's almost impossible to place in the timeline (There are islands named after ones from the DS games, The mirror of twilight is complete but arbiter's grounds is ruined, the springs from skyward sword has been moved from their locations but are supposedly the same place ect).

I seem to be invisible here, or maybe just ignored? Who knows...

Operative2-0

I think they should probably commit more seriously in the future now that they've released an official timeline for the franchise. They opened their own Pandora's box there.

Operative2-0

KirbyTheVampire

I gotta say, after listening to some of this video, I really think it's a bummer how they didn't include a lot of the music from the trailers in the actual game. The first minute of the video is especially beautiful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NntQ86FHcMY

I hope they step up their game for the next Zelda game in the music department. The music when dragons show up is really well-done though. And the rest of the music is all really good too, I just can't say there's a ton of songs that are super memorable, unlike previous Zelda games. The more chill music did suit the game really well, but I think there should have been some more in-your-face songs as well.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

Ralizah

Nintendo has never cared about the "lore" in the Zelda franchise. They're designed to be fun adventure games, not novelistic fantasy epics. Zelda fans will be much happier when they learn to accept this.

@KirbyTheVampire Yeah, I'll admit, I'm also disappointed that they composed so much beautiful music for BotW and relegated the best pieces to the trailers. Like, I get it, you don't want trumpets blaring during normal gameplay, but why not integrate these beautiful trailer tracks into big story moments?

Hyrule Castle definitely has "in your face" music, though. And it's pretty epic.

Edited on by Ralizah

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

shadow-wolf

Now it's time for me and the rest of the timeline-loving fans to hang our heads in shame, thanks a lot Aonuma-san lol.

In all seriousness though there's no way Wind Waker and Twilight Princess weren't designed to be set after Ocarina of Time. Wind Waker makes direct references to Ocarina, so I don't understand what he's saying about the timeline not mattering in most games.

And while I do recognize that the timeline is incredibly messy and nonsensical at times (especially more-so with BotW), I do think it helps flesh out the Zelda games. I remember having my mind blown by how Ocarina's events at the end of the game explained why Ganondorf had the Triforce of Power in Twilight Princess, and also didn't
recognize Link at all in Twilight Princess. But yeah it's not well handled for sure.

@KirbyTheVampire That's what I used to think to, but actually there is lots of good music. Only problem is, you only listen to it for like 20% of the game, the rest spent in the wild listening to ambient music, which is why I (and probably many) don't remember too much. There's Tarrey Town theme, Mipha's theme, Gerudo Town theme, Sidon's theme, and a couple others. Perhaps not as memorable as Ocarina's legendary music, but still good. I love the music during the final part of the final boss fight, that was amazing.

Edited on by shadow-wolf

shadow-wolf

KirbyTheVampire

@Ralizah Yeah, that song was pretty darn cool. Definitely felt like I was invading the lion's den.

@shadow-wolf Yeah, it wasn't bad by any means, I just think there was a bit too much focus on ambient music. What was there was definitely good.

KirbyTheVampire

Ralizah

@shadow-wolf @KirbyTheVampire Most of the music is designed to integrate itself into the rest of the soundscape and not call attention to itself. It was a cool design choice in some respects, but the unavoidable result is that BotW was never going to be the Zelda game where you fondly think back to the music.

Which wouldn't have been an issue for me if Nintendo hadn't included gorgeous, dramatic Ghibli-esque compositions in the trailers.

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

@KirbyTheVampire Yeah, I'll admit, I'm also disappointed that they composed so much beautiful music for BotW and relegated the best pieces to the trailers. Like, I get it, you don't want trumpets blaring during normal gameplay, but why not integrate these beautiful trailer tracks into big story moments?

They could've done so much more in this regard. The only time I remember any cool music playing on the overworld was the paraglider minigame from the tower west of hyrule castle.

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

Ralizah

@Dezzy I remember a fair number of the overworld themes, which I thought were often beautifully understated, but it's not the sort of music that you really listen to for its own sake. Unlike a lot of previous games. Especially Skyward Sword, which I've never played, but which also apparently has a fantastic OST.

Kinoen

@shadow-wolf
But how good is that 20% of the music if people cannot even remember the beat of any of it (at least I can't)? While Mario Odyssey starts off, in a trailer, with that catchy and wonderfully made 1-Up Girl song?

Kinoen

Snaplocket

@Ralizah As much as I love BOTW, the music (more notably, the lack thereof) is definitely not gonna be a reason why.

Snaplocket

Kimyonaakuma

I think that the music in BotW is really good, (Hateno Village and Kara Kara Bazaar especially) and I only remember one song that I didn't particularly like.

The music that plays in the Divine Beasts is amazing, I think they capture each beast perfectly while also mixing in the idea of the sheikah technology.
I also liked how the song would evolve as you activated the terminals, going from being plagued with Malice to being back in working order with some references to older songs such as Vah Medoh featuring some City in the Sky elements.

The rest of the game is quiet but it makes the little flourishes stand out more and it reflects the vastness of the world. If they did the traditional way and played one song and transitioned it into another it wouldn't be good. It's like how the large fields in the game let you appreciate the small things that you discover because there was so much nothingness before it. I feel that the music was aiming for the same thing.

I seem to be invisible here, or maybe just ignored? Who knows...

shadow-wolf

@Ralizah @KirbyTheVampire Yeah I guess you're both right. Though I think every Zelda game past OoT had only two to three great new songs, which BotW had as well.

@Kinoen but how do you know whether that trailer music would even feature in Odyssey? It could be like in BotW, fantastic trailer music that barely if ever appears in-game.

shadow-wolf

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic