Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 14,561 to 14,580 of 15,210

Ralizah

@rallydefault The path I took on my quest to defeat Ganon was mostly unique. Partially directed, sure (the game tries to guide you toward the Zora Domain first), but otherwise I just let the adventure unfold organically. I completed a number of quests, as they came up, but I never felt like I was checking items off a list, and, generally, I only completed quests when my curiosity took me to a new area.

The more I indulged my curiosity, the more I discovered shrines, new weapons, new quests, and seed puzzles, which in turn led to me becoming stronger and being able to challenge locations and enemies that had bested me previously. It's an utterly wonderful cycle of gameplay, and very different from how I played something like Skyrim, where I mostly felt like I was either being shuffled from one talking head to another or exploring caves that never really felt any different (the shrines are similar aesthetically, but the puzzles and challenges are often radically different). It's also very different from normal Zelda games, where you're just shuffled between various locked off areas until you happen to stumble upon the right place to use your new item or ability. It's tedious.

I think the decentralized story also plays into this organically-evolving gameplay and respect for player agency, and, for this reason, I'm hoping the story takes a backseat in the next Zelda game as well. It's not like they ever have really good stories anyway. Nintendo doesn't do good stories, it does memorable gameplay, and BotW leans heavily into that.

It probably helps that, once I felt fully satisfied with my adventure, I went, defeated Ganon, watched the true ending, and didn't come back. Apparently people have been playing this game until they grew sick of it, and I just... don't understand that mentality. At some point, around 75 hours in, I had my fill of Hyrule, had found all the memories, defeated all the divine beasts, decked myself out in cool Guardian gear, and knew it was time to wrap up what had been a magical experience.

I guess if I'd been a miserly completionist who spent the next 300 hours kicking around Hyrule to find each and every last korok seed and quest I'd probably feel drained by the end as well. But I don't see why I'd do that to myself. I mean, I do plan on 100% completing it someday, but when I do, it'll be a long, relaxing playthrough spread out over months or even years.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

infofrog

baller98 wrote:

@infofrog It is on sale for 45 dollars at Walmart but only as in store pickup only https://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Legend-of-Zelda-Breath-of-the-...

Super Mario Odyssey is on sale for 45 dollars at Walmart as well https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nintendo-Super-Mario-Odyssey-Ninte...

Thank you . i just order it, it is ready to pick up . . I dont understand . I go to walmart its 59.95. Order on line pick it up at same store its 45
thank you again
Rick

infofrog

rallydefault

@Ralizah
I think we played different games. Or we're different people who like different things.

rallydefault

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

I'm hoping the story takes a backseat in the next Zelda game as well. It's not like they ever have really good stories anyway. Nintendo doesn't do good stories, it does memorable gameplay, and BotW leans heavily into that.

Whoaa there! Nintendo and Zelda have had plenty of good stories. In fact I'd even say that BotW has a good story. The problem is there's just not enough of it and because it's based so much on flashbacks, it feels too disconnected from what you're doing and it really lacks a sense of urgency.
Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, Wind Waker and Skyward Sword all have good video game stories. They don't need to be Dickens-level literary masterpieces, they just need to be engaging enough to give structure and motivation to the gameplay.
The BotW story is so thin that you can too easily just forget about it for a dozen hours at a time, even though it's supposed to be a really urgent issue.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

infofrog

I made it to Kakariko Village. Is this where the game starts ?
Thanks
Rick

infofrog

Arbor

is the expansion pack worth it? i’m interested in the added content but am on a budget

Arbor

jump

Arbor wrote:

is the expansion pack worth it? i’m interested in the added content but am on a budget

It's worth it if you want more BOTW. In terms of is there anything vital you'd miss out on not really, there's a few extra story pieces that get thrown in and some useful/Easter egg items but nothing that major to the BOTW experience.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

SKTTR

@Arbor Most of us played through the vanilla version as the DLC was not available for the first few months. It took almost a year until the final DLC pack was released.

I completed the game first, and later revisited it to 100% the DLC.
The DLC is just bonus content. It's not needed for the main game, but it's a nice extra that adds content to the story, the dungeons, the items, and a bit of QoL stuff that is more or less useful depending on your playing style.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Arbor

@skttr alright, think i’ll go with that this month over the smash fighters pass since with this i can play right away but with the fighters pass i have to wait until at least april.

Arbor

XTS2

jump wrote:

Arbor wrote:

It's worth it if you want more BOTW. In terms of is there anything vital you'd miss out on not really, there's a few extra story pieces that get thrown in and some useful/Easter egg items but nothing that major to the BOTW experience.

I will say I constantly refer to my “Hero Line” on the map. That green line that shows everywhere you’ve been. I believe that was apart of the DLC unless I’m mistaken.

Switch Friends Code: SW-7591-3816-6208

Switch Friend Code: SW-7591-3816-6208 | My Nintendo: XTS2 | Nintendo Network ID: XTS2

wafflesngravy

Hey guys, can I ask you a dumb question? Is it possible to play Zelda with multiple users taking turns? I want to start playing this with my daughter, but I'm wondering if there are natural ending places where the controller could be passed back and forth regularly? I don't want to read too much or watch any walk through videos to find out because at this point I know very little about the game and don't want to spoil too much. We just bought a switch recently and have not tried anything other than mk8d at this point, but I really wanna play zelda, but I don't really wanna play alone either. Doable?

wafflesngravy

Eel

You could simply each get a turn after every death or every other shrine, etc. Set a goal or limit, and alternate players when it's done.

There's also the backseat gamer approach where your daughter plays but you helicopter behind her.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

wafflesngravy

Ok cool, so it's like many other games where you need to complete a level, but if you die you try again? That could work as we've played other games that way. She's 12 so back seat doesn't work for her lol. I'll probably just have to buy it and try it. I've been out of the nintendo universe since the 90s so sorry for the newbie question. Havent played a zelda game since the original. Been playing MK8 and the Zelda Track (with music) has really made me wanna play this new version.

wafflesngravy

Eel

@wafflesngravy most of the game itself is "open world", so there's no defined boundaries between "levels", you just go a find stuff in a huge map.

However, thrown around the map are shrines and other smaller challenges with well defined boundaries that you could consider a "level".

So, in short, it's a game about exploration.

When you die, the game simply sends you back to the last automatic or manual save it has available, whichever is most recent.

It could work very well in the backseat format, with one person playing and the other trying to look for points of interest the player might miss. But it could also work well in a "taking turns" format as well.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

RenderSpotlight

@wafflesngravy I would say there are not "typical" ending points per se. But once you get the flow of the game, it will become apparent where logical cut off points might be. I would second @Delibheel you can make them up on the fly, short or long term. Goals can be small and/or bigger. Find X amount of koroks, do X amounts of shrines, each do 2 of the 4 Divine Beasts, find a new town or stable, unlock a new area, find or defeat X number of Stone Talus or Hinox, do any number of side quests (new ones will always present themselves). There are really almost endless amounts of "goals" to set.
But, I believe the more you play the more the potentials goals will make sense and will be easier to set.
Hope that helps

RenderSpotlight

Octane

Save yourself the 60 bucks and get ten pizzas instead. Just make sure they're pineapple-free.

Octane

wafflesngravy

Where do you live that you get pizza for 6 bucks each?

wafflesngravy

gcunit

@wafflesngravy How frequently do you want to take turns? There's an in-game clock and a full day-night cycle. You could play an in-game day each, or swap every 12 hours, for example, or just every 10 IRL minutes. Doing it any other way could foreseeably result in fairly uneven turn-taking.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic