Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 14,381 to 14,400 of 15,201

Ryu_Niiyama

@subpopz I don't know for certain to be honest with you as that situation doesn't apply to me but I don't see why not, the save files are separate. I'm currently switching back and forth between the two (DLC and never got all the shrines in regular mode and sometimes I get tired of getting murdered by Lynels...but I'm at 11 hearts so that is getting better) and the two versions don't talk to each other.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

RenderSpotlight

@subpopz I am in a similar situation. I own both, but I got it on the Wii U first and that is where I have put all of my time. But as long as you buy the DLC on the Swtich the master mode will be available. So for example, I will play normal mode on the Wii U and Master Mode on the Switch.

RenderSpotlight

Agriculture

I restarted the game in Master Mode and just realized how good the games beginning is, and how bad the end game is.

The beginning has you exploring, gradually reaching more and more difficult places on the map by getting more stamina, various resistances and better weapons.

On my normal mode, I was at the point where I'm supposed to collect 15 energetic beetles, and it felt more like The Legend of Zelda: Chore in the Wild.

Agriculture

RenderSpotlight

@Agriculture I can see that. But that is when I took some time off and let it sit for a while, like a month until I wanted to play again. Then I came back and I remembered why I enjoyed the game again. And then exploring, collecting, discovering once again was not a chore. I find it amazing that I am over 300 hours in and I am still discovering new areas that I have not been to. Or little things that they hid or subtle game play techniques that makes me do things that I know where put there to make me "chase the squirrel" But I am always discovering.
I know some people hate the weapon breaking, but I embraced it and now I really appreciate it because it adds another layer of strategy that is not in many other game. Now I totally appreciate what it adds to the game.
I just think of other games that let you keep your weapons all the way through and instead of forcing you to get rid of it, they just make them obsolete by the end of the game. They have the enemies get harder and new weapons make the previous ones useless.

Even my wife who is not a gamer by any stretch of the imagination, has started to play Breath of the Wild and she plays the game very different than I do, but she is also finding things that I totally missed.

But starting over in Master Mode is a smart move. The game will challenge you again and in different ways and you will remember why you enjoyed it so much.
Take it easy.

Edit: For clarity and grammar errors.

Edited on by RenderSpotlight

RenderSpotlight

Agriculture

Hikingguy wrote:

I do in fact like the weapon breaking because it makes you think about where to use your resources. I liked that in Fallout: New Vegas too.

My favorite new thing about Master mode is the floating plattforms with enemies and chests on them

Agriculture

Peek-a-boo

I would like a simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’ answer please.

Basically, upon defeating Calamity Ganon and reloading my save file before the entrance to the castle itself, I noticed a star on my save file as well as a percentage (24.48%) at the bottom left corner of the Sheikah Slate.

Is there any worthwhile reward(s) for attaining the 100% completion rate, let alone finding all 900 (!) Korok Seeds?

Ta.

I would like to have a go at finishing all of the side missions, seeing as I only need to find 26 more according to a side missions walkthrough I stumbled upon. I wish to find enough rupees - all 10,000 of them - to give to the fourth and last fairy too.

After that, I shall leave the game be and buy those two add-ons later in the year some time.

Peek-a-boo

Agriculture

Octane wrote:

@Peek-a-boo No!

How can you say that? Finding all the korok seeds let you re-watch all of Hestu's dances as many times as you like. I watch them every morning. Shala-zah! Shala-kah!

Agriculture

Ralizah

Peek-a-boo wrote:

Is there any worthwhile reward(s) for attaining the 100% completion rate, let alone finding all 900 (!) Korok Seeds?

You haven't heard what you get for collecting all of the Korok seeds, huh?

snickers

It's not worth it. The game is meant to be played and enjoyed as long as you have meaningful progress to make on your adventure, which is why there are so many seeds.

But the answer is "no."

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Spoony_Tech

This is really cool!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Agriculture

I finished Master Mode. It did provide more of a challenge, but not enough to warrant spending any considerable time improving your character.

In order to beat Ganon, I had to get 6 shields (I'm not that good on the perfect guard trick so a lot of them broke during the fight), 3 fairies worth of Champions tunic, some hearty durian meals, and two 40 damage swords.

It's a shame really that there isn't more DLC planned because I have an almost fully upgraded Link in normal mode, and it would be great if they made some DLC were you really got put to the test (with your equipment).

Agriculture

Monkey_Balls

@Agriculture I'm glad there's no more DLC planned - it'll likely be more of the same. I'd rather they put all their efforts into the next game, hopefully building on BotW and fulfilling people's wishlists of what could have been and what they want. We're not going to get a restored Hyrule via DLC, for example.

Monkey_Balls

Nintendo Network ID: widdowk

Agriculture

Monkey_Balls wrote:

@Agriculture I'm glad there's no more DLC planned - it'll likely be more of the same. I'd rather they put all their efforts into the next game, hopefully building on BotW and fulfilling people's wishlists of what could have been and what they want. We're not going to get a restored Hyrule via DLC, for example.

That's probably for the better. Breath of the Wild is an amazing game, but lacks some fundamental things to make it perfect. If they can make the next game "open world go anywhere" like Breath of the Wild, but with proper dungeons and less collecta-thon it would be perfect.

Agriculture

JoetheLion

Agriculture wrote:

That's probably for the better. Breath of the Wild is an amazing game, but lacks some fundamental things to make it perfect. If they can make the next game "open world go anywhere" like Breath of the Wild, but with proper dungeons and less collecta-thon it would be perfect.

I wonder if they will ditch the breakable weapons since a lot of people didn't like it.

Edited on by JoetheLion

JoetheLion

Hallonblad

JoetheLion wrote:

Agriculture wrote:

I wonder if they will ditch the breakable weapons since a lot of people didn't like it.

I hope not. I found it to be a rather sophisticated way of encouraging players to try different weapons. Though admittedly it did get a bit harsh on the Plateau in Master Mode if you wanted to kill all enemies. Definitively doable, but a tad too tough perhaps, especially for those of us who wanted a handful of decent weapons when dropping down to Hyrule the first time. So many sticks were obliterated into tiny splinters...

Unrelated to the above, I'm currently playing through Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (yes, a little late to the party) and I must say it makes me miss BotW more often than not. While the story is far more satisfying, I'm not a fan of not being able to climb walls or at least trees. BotW spoiled me for all other open world games ever. I understand why Nintendo has chosen to call it open air instead, it truly is in a league of it's own.

Switch friend code: SW-1684-7611-8315
Backlog: https://backloggery.com/Hallon
#supercasualgamer

JoetheLion

@Peek-a-boo lol don't hunt down all 900 Korok seeds...you can find the "reward" on youtube, but the "reward" is that you can watch Hestu's dance whenever you like. That is what you get for collecting all 900 Korok seeds. What I remember reading was that the developers put so many Korok seeds in the game world so that people in a typical play through would come across many so they could expand inventories; you can find Korok seeds at just about anywhere you go. The point wasn't about collecting them all, just that there would be so many to find that the typical BOTW player could find enough of the seeds. The developers were thinking of putting some really good reward for finding all 900 seeds but they didn't want some gamers to feel left-out in some way for not be able to find them all, so a developer had an idea of a "joke" kind of reward (Hestu's dance) and other devs thought that was funny so they went with that. I believe that was the gist of what I read about this. The Nintendo devs are trolling some people. : p

@Hallonblad I also like the gameplay mechanics with weapons in BOTW. It adds an element of strategy to the gameplay and combat and it does encourage players to try out many kinds of weapons instead of just sticking with a few they find to be their favorites. In fact, I feel the Master Sword kind of ruins it. Once I had the Master Sword, I used it a lot, would use regular weapons until it recharged, and would use the Master Sword once recharged. Once I got the Master Sword (and I avoided combat sometimes, too), I racked up a lot of weapons and never had a shortage of them. If I replay this game, I'll get the Master Sword at the end, before going to fight Calamity Ganon. That way, I can fully enjoy the weapon system the devs made from start till (nearly) the end.

Edited on by JoetheLion

JoetheLion

kkslider5552000

Tbh, if they get rid of weapon durability, they'd have to make such dramatic changes to the game that I'm not sure it would be worth the time.

Anyway, I only recently found out how useful the boomerang weapon can be against a group of enemies, and I wish I knew sooner.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

RenderSpotlight

@kkslider5552000 I hope they keep weapon durability. As other people have said, it adds another layer of strategy that is not present in many games. I am over 300 hours in and I am still finding new items and weapons. So there is more than enough to keep things fresh.

@JoetheLion And I hear you on the master sword. I try not to use it except for guardians. Originally I strategically saved many guardian weapons, but now that I have the Master Sword, I never use them. It is much more fun to plan my weapons out for whatever challenge I am going to do.

I mean what is the alternative? To give Link weapons that the player has access too all the way to the end of the game, but make them obsolete because more difficult enemies render them useless? This has been done ad nauseam, since as far back as I can remember games. But for how open Zelda is and how roaming to and fro is encouraged, it is nice to be able to gather what I need when I need it. Resource management bring balance to the game that I am not totally sure how they would pull off without it.
I am sure they experimented with many alternatives and this was the best.

RenderSpotlight

Grumblevolcano

Given pre-BotW style is seemingly out of the question, the next best option for Zelda I think would be taking inspiration from Halo 3 ODST.

That campaign has an approach of open world where you can do most things in any order but when you find the clues throughout the world you enter a normal Halo type level playing as your missing teammates. Also there's audio logs you can find which collecting them all actually provides meaningful lore, kind of a side story in a way.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic