Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 13,981 to 14,000 of 15,201

Grumblevolcano

The best durability system is in the pre-Awakening Fire Emblem games.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Snadertjuh

Got the Nintendo Newsletter in my email to be informed about the games for the Holidays. It contains a part of BOTW DLC Pack 2 so I am 100% sure the DLC is not delayed to 2018.
I really hope that BOTW will be the Game of the Year tonight and that when I wake up tomorrow that it really is including the announcement of DLC Pack 2!

From Holland, SW-8284-9406-5119

TuVictus

I wouldn't have been so salty about the durability if the Master Sword wasn't the straw that broke the camel's back for me. But with the DLC imminent, I'm excited to give the game another try and see if I walk away feeling better about it

TuVictus

gcunit

The concept of weapon durability is fine, but burning through multiple weapons in one fight was a bit unrealistic. I'd rather have less weapon slots but they last at least 3 fights.

But having said that, it does force you to strategize a bit more about how you approach some of the tougher situations, which isn't such a bad thing.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Dezzy

The weapon durability system ties back into the problem I mentioned of Zelda struggling with incentives outside of the main quest. The weapons and ruppees are really the only incentive to go and explore most parts of the map. Without those, all you're incentivised to do is the shrines and main quest.
I really think an open world game struggles without an experience and levelling system. The Witcher 3 feels far better at making all of these different activities meaningful.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

SKTTR

Durability is good. I usually have enough weapons and I waste the cheap ones by breaking them onto enemy heads. The balance is pretty good. In the beginning it's survival, in the middle it's balanced and in the end you are overpowered. A great formula for action-adventures in general because you get a real sense of getting stronger.

Btw, there are spots in the game where you can get unlimited of the strongest weapons, but of course you first have to explore a bit to find them.

The limitations here are nothing when weighted against the freedoms. Climbing, unlimited bombs (plus three other "magics"), and flying are new gameplay elements you get almost right from the start. Tons of weapons bows and shields to collect and try, and especially approaching the story, action, and puzzles in many different ways right from the start gets you into the adventure faster than picking up everything little by little in predictable order: shield, sword, bow, bombs, etc. Plus all of this happens for the first time in an advanced physics engine and in an open world that both allow for more freedom then in any Zelda game before.

I'm good with it and I'm fine to continue into that direction, I'd just add more towns, real dungeons, enemies and bosses, weapons, and sidequests.

The old Zelda mechanic was getting a bit stale to be honest. We had like 15-20 Zelda games all working more or less the same.

The people who wish the old formula back are a weird group. Half of them are just afraid that Zelda's forever lost in a different direction, but that won't be the case. The Zelda formula lives on in many other games, like Ittle Dew 2+. And the other half have most likely not beaten all the older Zelda games so I recommend playing through all the classic Zelda games before coming back to the BotW formula. You most likely have a different opinion then and will be glad that BotW does something fresh.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Octane

@Dezzy That's the difference between an open-world RPG and BOTW. In an RPG you can fight a random enemy and gain some experience, in Zelda you avoid the fight altogether because the Bokoblin is not worth wasting your weapon on.

Octane

-Green-

Some form of experience system would be nice.

I actually liked fighting the enemies, tho. The AI and interactions in this game are actually pretty cute. Seeing how enemies react was a treat.

As much as I dislike durability systems generally, the game basically has weapons always around (except bosses), so I never cared about the weapons I had.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

bezerker99

I heard some cool Zelda theme music while riding one of my horses within the game yesterday. I've never heard that music before but for majority of the game I've been wandering around on foot.

Am I correct in stating that there's some really awesome music that you ONLY hear while riding a horse in this game????

Ralizah

@bezerker99 Yeah, there's music you only hear on horseback during particular times of the day.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

nikoamii

I’d rather have a durability system than having op unbreakable swords the whole game, this makes you feel more realistic and always on the hunt for more weapons, everything always feels fresh and new and you’re constantly evolving through the game

Don’t be mean to game of the year, I repel thee!

nikoamii

Octane

nikoamii wrote:

more realistic

Because real-life swords break after three hits...

Octane

Eel

Well, if you're hitting rocks and bones, or whatever magitek the guardians are made of, then yeah they tend to break easily. Specially if you're like Link and hit willy nilly without concern or strategy.

Blades in the ol' medieval times were either expected to fail and need repair after a few encounters, or eventually break beyond repair.

Apparently sometimes they would make daggers out of broken swords.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

StuTwo

Am I really reading this right? People actually want an experience based levelling system in Zelda? I suppose in a world where Trump is president of the free world that all sorts of crazy things are happening. Truly the signs of the end times...

BoTW has levelling systems - you become formally more powerful by exploring and discovering shrines. You also gradually increase your inventory slots (again by exploring) - which reduces the effect of weapon durability- and you gradually get better weapon pick ups as you get better at the game (and complete the dungeons).

It’s such a masterful piece of game design. Traditional levelling would kill it and turn a game that a skilled player can complete in an hour into one that has a mandatory grind which inevitably allows anyone to brute force their way through.

I have a few issues with the game and I think it can be improved but my biggest is that I’ll never get to experience it again for the first time.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Dezzy

All I know is that a Claymore type long sword is ridiculously heavy in real life. If you swung one of those at someone and missed, they basically had a minute to kill you before you got another chance.

StuTwo wrote:

Am I really reading this right? People actually want an experience based levelling system in Zelda? I suppose in a world where Trump is president of the free world that all sorts of crazy things are happening. Truly the signs of the end times...

Please don't get a job as a detective.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Ralizah

StuTwo wrote:

BoTW has levelling systems - you become formally more powerful by exploring and discovering shrines. You also gradually increase your inventory slots (again by exploring) - which reduces the effect of weapon durability- and you gradually get better weapon pick ups as you get better at the game (and complete the dungeons).

It has always baffled me when people would argue that the game has no progression systems. The bulk of the gameplay feeds into the game's progression systems: completing shrines helps increase your HP/stamina, completing divine beasts rewards you with new abilities to use, fighting enemies gives you access to better weapons, foraging/hunting give you access to increasingly more potent food and elixers, and exploration gives you access to most of the previous stuff alongside korok seeds, which can be used to expand your inventory.

StuTwo wrote:

I have a few issues with the game and I think it can be improved but my biggest is that I’ll never get to experience it again for the first time.

Tell me about it. I haven't had an experience with a game that was such pure fun since Super Mario Galaxy.

Edited on by Ralizah

meleebrawler

@Ralizah And don't forget the ''collecting items to upgrade armor/defence'' service that Great Fairies provide.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Ralizah

@meleebrawler Very true. Which help immensely in the late game.

KirbyTheVampire

I don't see why everyone hated the weapon durability system so much. It's not like you ever actually run out of weapons once you leave the Great Plateau.

KirbyTheVampire

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic