Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2.0

Posts 161 to 180 of 320

jump

rallydefault wrote:

@jump
Dude, cut scenes and "actual footage of the game" are very different things. When you say "actual footage," I think gameplay. But that's just me. And companies have been showing cutscenes of games that don't come out for many, many years. <cough> FF VII remake <cough> Cutscenes are usually developed by entirely separate arms of dev teams. In some cases, cutscenes in games are actually farmed out to entirely separate developers (though 100% probably not the case in many Nintendo games).

It's whatever, as usual. We're all just spouting our opinions. My opinion is that Metroid is Holiday 2020, BotW 2.0 (and please, I hope it's more than that, but it's not looking good) is some time in 2021.

If it's in the game than it's actual footage

As you said Ninty are different to most games companies with their trailer/cut scenes where they keep their stuff in house but that trailer was not just generic combat-cool-looking-action type thing as they aren't superficial like that. It was demonstrating they know what direction they are going with it rather than we've just started working on it.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

NintendoByNature

Picture this.... animal crossing, bayo 3, prime trilogy, and botw2 in 2020. That's another 2019 imo

NintendoByNature

Octane

@rallydefault But how can Metroid be next year when they scrapped everything they had earlier this year, and started over from scratch? You're suggesting a completely new game in less than two years! Now that's stretching it I think

Octane

Spanjard

NintendoByNature wrote:

Picture this.... animal crossing, bayo 3, prime trilogy, and botw2 in 2020. That's another 2019 imo

And Pikmin 4... LOL

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Morpheel

Secretly, pikmin 4 is just a pikmin 3+hey! Pikmin combo remake.

Edited on by Morpheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Tsurii

@Morpheel I'd be down for that. Pikmin 3 was amazing and if it comes with another game I'd even take a re-release for full price

Anyway... @rallydefault
Bud, BotW was supposed to stick to that "release within 1-ish year after the announcement" plan before they went and decided to wait for Switch. That game was basically finished for a year and a half before its actual release.
Modern game development takes time, yes. But most of that time is spent on creating assets and, sometimes, (Re)working an engine for the game.

Both things are basically already done for BotW 2. They have the overworld done. Sure, they'll tweak it for the new story. But that doesn't take anywhere near as long as building that world from scratch, and by hand (I'm PRETTY sure they designed all of Hyrule for BotW without relying on any tech shenanigans, right?)
The characters they can reuse, mostly. They'll add a bunch of new ones, but we're still in the same Hyrule so, naturally, we'll be seeing a lot of the same faces again. That's still a lot of work for new characters and any redesigns, but the bulk of that is done.
The mechanics might change. Link seems to get that fancy new magic arm, so we'll likely get new magic/"runes" again which means work to be put into physics and whatever other shenanigans they come up with for new abilities. But even that isn't gonna be as complicated because of their fancy schmancy chemistry engine that already allows a ton of stuff. They can reuse a lot of that for magic. Same for physics based abilities we might get since botw already has a solid AF physics engine, too.

So.. What else is there? New assets for dungeons/hopefully caves. New assets for weapons/armor/items and, also hopefully, a bunch of new enemies. New character models, including said enemies. Voice recording. Additional music. Textures for all of the new stuff.

The audio stuff is done in parallel to everything else. Enemy models is its own group of designers. Characters is its own group of designers. Items/everything else is its own group of designers. They have Monolith f***ing Soft for the environments, basically "outsourcing" that part to another (Nintendo) studio that already has literal years of experience designing stuff for Zelda games (they started helping with Skyward Sword. That was 8 years ago. Holy cow, Skyward Sword is 8 years old....)

They have a solid bloody development team, with a f***ton of experience and know-how. They have all these experienced, routined designers and programmers. And they had ~2 years on development already, ignoring some "hints" that they might've been planning this sequel since the original game's development (the big giveaway being the fact that the hero who's depicted in the in-game legend having that shiny, blue magic arm)

If they don't release this at the latest in the first half of 21, I'm calling BS

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter

iKhan

Tsurii wrote:

Monolith f***ing Soft

Semi off-topic, but I don't think BOTW and likely BOTW2 would be half as good without Monolith doing the topography. Those guys are absolute wizards for hiding things within a landscape.

Currently Playing: Pokemon Crystal, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros: Ultimate, Daemon X Machina Prototype Missions

Grumblevolcano

It all depends how Nintendo want to handle the existence of the next gen consoles. 1st year of a Sony/Microsoft console is generally pretty weak outside the first few months so that's why I guessed March 2021. Let a crazy 2017-esque year begin with BotW 2 when the other 2 consoles are not really doing much but announce plenty of them in 2020 to show the smaller quantity is not Nintendo returning to Wii U era output.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

rallydefault

@Tsurii
Relax, my friend. Everything is going to be ok.

I've been gaming for 30 years, and my gut's telling me 2021. That's all. I could be totally, completely, horribly wrong. Or I could be right. Same goes for you. But please, it's not worth writing a term paper/raising your blood pressure.

(Your post also serves to illustrate what makes me so disgusted with Nintendo and this game right now.)

rallydefault

jump

Morpheel wrote:

Secretly, pikmin 4 is just a pikmin 3+hey! Pikmin combo remake.

Lower your expectations, it's gonna be more of those Pikmin short films.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Morpheel

a movie-length collection of shorts

(and they're no connected in any logical way that would suggest an overarching narrative)

Edited on by Morpheel

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

@rallydefault But how can Metroid be next year when they scrapped everything they had earlier this year, and started over from scratch? You're suggesting a completely new game in less than two years! Now that's stretching it I think

I find it hard to believe they scrapped absolutely everything. That would make Namco one of the most incompetent devs in history.
At the very least, surely they got some textures and 3D models that were reusable.
I think they just said they started completely from scratch as a way of making sure people's expectations were tempered.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Morpheel

"C-Can we at least use some of the character models?"

"Did I stutter when I said start over!? "

Eh! My gameplay videos

BruceCM

Well, it's sadly possible that they decided to literally start from scratch, @Dezzy .... Maybe they weren't happy with the textures & models? Best assume the worst for now, then there's a chance you'll be pleasantly surprised when they announce it's release

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

Ralizah

2021 is almost unthinkable for BotW2 if it has been in development for a significant length of time. Most of the time-consuming stuff is likely already done.

And unless MP4 was scrapped and restarted LONG before it was publicly announced, I'm expecting it to be late 2021 or perhaps even later.

Ralizah

jump

I'm not sure if it's already been brought up but there was a famous leaker (can't remember which one) teasing it's release in 2020. It was something along the lines of Breath Of The Wild fans are gonna be happy in 2020 way way before the game was announced. Of course additional delays may have between the two.

Nicolai wrote:

iKhan

I really hope they increase the number of scripted events in this game. The best parts in BOTW were those that involved stumbling into a situation with a scripted event, most notably the Naydra boss fight, but also running into Prince Sidon, or triggering other story events.

Exploration isn't fun unless you are looking for fun things.

Currently Playing: Pokemon Crystal, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros: Ultimate, Daemon X Machina Prototype Missions

Dezzy

iKhan wrote:

The best parts in BOTW were those that involved stumbling into a situation with a scripted event, most notably the Naydra boss fight,

That and Eventide Island were my favourite things I found randomly whilst exploring. They were so much better if you didn't know about them ahead of time.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic