Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Posts 101 to 120 of 3,410

Therad

Arbor wrote:

...but there’s literally no point in having “female link” when the titular character of the series is female???? let her live

Yes, that is also adding choice without removing. My entire point is that games are dynamic, there is usually no reason at all to limit choice.

Therad

kkslider5552000

Therad wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

The real obsessed ones were the ones in the debate for a female Link, get it right. Wanting Zelda playable were the moderates. (I wish I was joking, this sounds dumb but is absolutely accurate in every way)

Having the ability to choose the gender of Link is not taking anything away, only adding. The story of botw could have worked just as well with a female Link. And in the case of games, they are dynamic media. They are not static like movies where you have to cast an actor and stick with the choice.

I agree. But having Link female as a replacement for having Zelda playable is stupid and everyone wanting female Link actually never considered having Zelda playable. In Zelda.

Again, that sounds like some dumb thing I just made up. But I saw article after article where consistently none of them thought that Zelda being playable in Zelda would be a good idea. The idea was never brought up, only having Link as a woman.

which sums up the poorly thought, pseudo-progressiveness of certain hackneyed writers that in their obsession with adding a gender choice they completely ignored the titular female character so that she could be still be rescued (though i dont bring it up often because many garbage human beings agree with me, unfortunately)

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Octane

You don't play as Pikmin in Pikmin.

Octane

Eel

And you don't play as Donkey Kong in Donkey Ko- oh wait nevermind.

Hm. Aha. Metroid, you don't play as Metroid in Metroid.

Except that one where you're part metroid.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Henmii

Zonai may have a bigger role in this game, we even might see them this time. Zonai are some kind of barberians (they made the barberian outfit) and the only things they left are labyrinths and serpent statues. You see those serpent statues in the teaser (but a bit like they are bats, like they have ears. the style is Zonai though) and you see symbols on the wall that resemble the labyrinth symbols. Interesting stuff.

Henmii

Therad

@Octane No you just enslave them and force them to do stuff. When I think about it, destroying and enslaving wildlife is a common theme in Nintendo games.

Therad

Therad

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Therad wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

The real obsessed ones were the ones in the debate for a female Link, get it right. Wanting Zelda playable were the moderates. (I wish I was joking, this sounds dumb but is absolutely accurate in every way)

Having the ability to choose the gender of Link is not taking anything away, only adding. The story of botw could have worked just as well with a female Link. And in the case of games, they are dynamic media. They are not static like movies where you have to cast an actor and stick with the choice.

I agree. But having Link female as a replacement for having Zelda playable is stupid and everyone wanting female Link actually never considered having Zelda playable. In Zelda.

Again, that sounds like some dumb thing I just made up. But I saw article after article where consistently none of them thought that Zelda being playable in Zelda would be a good idea. The idea was never brought up, only having Link as a woman.

which sums up the poorly thought, pseudo-progressiveness of certain hackneyed writers that in their obsession with adding a gender choice they completely ignored the titular female character so that she could be still be rescued (though i dont bring it up often because many garbage human beings agree with me, unfortunately)

I remember quite a lot wanting to play as a female, but I can't recall any that said exclusively female. Not expressively saying Zelda doesn't mean they wouldn't have like that just as well.

And if we are frank, botw was about Zelda, much more than most Zelda games.

Therad

Octane

@Therad And everyone is fine with that.

So with this franchise being called Zelda; it only makes sense if we have to enslave her and force her to do stuff, right?

Octane

Therad

Octane wrote:

@Therad And everyone is fine with that.

So with this franchise being called Zelda; it only makes sense if we have to enslave her and force her to do stuff, right?

I don't see how that could go wrong...

Therad

jump

Therad wrote:

I remember quite a lot wanting to play as a female, but I can't recall any that said exclusively female. Not expressively saying Zelda doesn't mean they wouldn't have like that just as well.

And if we are frank, botw was about Zelda, much more than most Zelda games.

I found Zelda to be more of a McGuffin than anything in BOTW, whilst she's better served here than a lot of the games you could quite easily remove all references of her. I found Zelda in Skyward Sword as the best fleshed out personality and Spirit Tracks has the best use of her imo.

Tetra is the biggest missed opportunity, she was badass then at the end of WW they chuck her in a dress and PH she needs to be saved.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

shaneoh

jump wrote:

EOTW wrote:

I can't wait till this thread devolves to talking about grass the way it did for the first game.

There's no grass underground tho. I hope you will be able to cut the stalagmites!

Me too! Cut those stalactite wannabes.

Morpheel wrote:

Hm. Aha. Metroid, you don't play as Metroid in Metroid.

Ah, but Metroid is the Chozo for "ultimate warrior" so you do play as Metroid in Metroid.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Grumblevolcano

I think this'll release March 2021, releasing in March worked for the first BotW. As for holiday 2020 I think we'll get Super Mario Party 2, Pokemon Let's Go Johto and Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

shadow-wolf

@Grumblevolcano I think a Diamond and Pearl remake will come before Let’s Go Johto. They might want to wait until Switch 2 comes out for Johto so there’s a bigger difference between Kanto and Johto (sort of like how they only remake an older region once per hardware generation even though they could do it more often).

With the next gen consoles coming out next year, I have a hunch Nintendo might be saving a heavy hitter to launch holiday time, as they have done without fail each year the Switch has been out. I honestly think either BotW 2 or Odyssey 2 has a chance of launching next year. Most other heavy hitters like Smash and Animal crossing have or are launching earlier so I’d expect one of those two to show up holiday 2020.

Edited on by shadow-wolf

shadow-wolf

Dezzy

Therad wrote:

That's true for a game like Breath of the Wild, but only because it's so threadbare in terms of story and character relationships. It wouldn't necessarily be true of all possible Zelda games. The more story and the more character development you have, the more you need a particular character to be fixed in their appearance and personality. Or you just need to write everything multiple times over so it makes sense for different types of characters (what games like Mass Effect did).

That's why I'm generally against a female Link option. Whilst there are definitely quite a few Zelda games where it would work just fine, I think in general it would just push the series further away from having deep and interesting stories, and towards the kind of generic and detached storytelling we saw in BotW.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Therad

Dezzy wrote:

Therad wrote:

That's true for a game like Breath of the Wild, but only because it's so threadbare in terms of story and character relationships. It wouldn't necessarily be true of all possible Zelda games. The more story and the more character development you have, the more you need a particular character to be fixed in their appearance and personality. Or you just need to write everything multiple times over so it makes sense for different types of characters (what games like Mass Effect did).

That's why I'm generally against a female Link option. Whilst there are definitely quite a few Zelda games where it would work just fine, I think in general it would just push the series further away from having deep and interesting stories, and towards the kind of generic and detached storytelling we saw in BotW.

While I can see where you are coming from, I can't think of a Zelda title where the gender of the protagonist would have mattered. Would any main story in any LoZ fall apart if link was a girl?

Also fixing some gender pronounce and voice acting isn't that hard, so that isn't a very good excuse.

Therad

Therad

@shadow-wolf I agree, having a heavy hitter or two when the others releases new consoles should create a bit of counter buzz. Especially since they both were universally praised.

Therad

CanisWolfred

It matters because Link is already an established character, and we're talking about games that haven't come out yet. There's simply far more story potential in a set playable character, regardless of gender.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Qwertyninty

I’m expecting a very good game.

Qwertyninty

kkslider5552000

Therad wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Therad wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I remember quite a lot wanting to play as a female, but I can't recall any that said exclusively female.

I never said that...?

You're confused. I don't care whether Link has a female option or not (even in terms of decent storytelling, Mass Effect pulled it off, so that's fine). But it says really unfortunate things to me how the debate on it largely ignored the possibility that the female titular character should be a playable character, even though largely everyone (of value) would be happy with that option. I agree with your point of having a playable female option, I just disagree with the poorly thought out logic some people seem to have about who that female character should be, essentially. I even thought it was a waste when Triforce Heroes was just multiple Links instead of actual different characters. Especially after Hyrule Warriors, with so many characters who you could control to destroy entire armies of enemies, why would anyone only want "Link but female" as a female character option (yes the irony that Hyrule Warriors has Linkle is not lost on me, but that's one character (technically still not actually Link) out of many).

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

jump

Tbh before you even get to Zelda I'd rather play as Impa, Sheik or Midna first. Ninjas and demon imps are a lot more fun than Zelda and her superpower of wisdom.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic