Forums

Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Posts 961 to 980 of 1,234

KirbyTheVampire

@Ralizah The DLC is really good IMO. The quests and locations and other things in the DLC are quite memorable. Hearthfire is the only one that isn't super crazy when it comes to content, but it only costed like 5 bucks or something when it first came out, so who really cares. I'd say it was still worth the 5 dollars.

KirbyTheVampire

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I totally back this. Get it.

Seeing Skyrim Remastered on Switch is crazy cool. I was playing at work today, set up in tabletop mode and slid the Joycon off the rails... man. I love the Switch. I did an entire dungeon all the way through in tabletop, aiming my spells with the left Joycon motion and aiming my bow with the right joycon... It was terrific. Even had my Wolf Link Amiibo coin in my case that can be scanned in every day like Zelda.

It's just one of those games you gotta have on Switch.

PLAYING
Switch: Xenoblade 2, Skyrim, Resident Evil Revelations 1/2
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
PSVR: Skyrim VR, DOOM VFR
Vita:
X1X: Wolfenstein 2
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

3DS Friend Code: 1160-9763-9374 | Nintendo Network ID: JaxonH

KirbyTheVampire

@JaxonH Your posts make me want to play Skyrim again, lol. Unfortunately I don't really have the money to justify paying full price for a game I've already put well over 1000 hours into, but it would definitely be nice to have the Switch version. I normally never like playing in handheld mode because I want to appreciate the games in their full glory, but I could see Skyrim being a great game for it, especially since I've already seen like 95% of what there is to see in the game, so I wouldn't feel like I was missing out on anything.

Also, what route do you think you'll go in the magic department? Just Destruction magic, mainly?

KirbyTheVampire

Ralizah

The base game was already absurdly full of content, and, in the context of playing on the PC, I felt like, after completing the majority of the content in the vanilla release, I just wanted to move on with my life. The nice thing about a portable, though, is that I can easily dip into the world of Skyrim here and there at my leisure.

Also, it has BotW-esque gyro aiming, which was my one really big hope for this game, so I'll absolutely pick it up soon. Seems like Bethesda did a really good job porting this to the system.

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

DarthNocturnal

I remember actually kinda getting sick of Dawnguard way back when, but I think that's just because I often felt obligated to do it ASAP to stop random vampire attacks EVERYTIME I started a new character. It's been a while, so it'll probably feel fresh again. Plus, I love it's added content (crossbows especially).

Hearthfire will probably feel like a downgrade after Fallout 4's workshop system. It's still nice, but if there's one thing I'm hoping for in ES VI...

Dragonborn is just all-around great. And you don-

RED ROCKET TRUCK STOP IS UNDER ATTACK

...have to worry about settlement attacks while you're exploring it. Four loading screens just to shoo away some raiders, oi...

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

3DS Friend Code: 0430-8422-1116

JaxonH

@KirbyTheVampire
Well, the fact you put so many hours into it actually kind of makes a great argument for paying full price. You'll likely get your money's worth!

The great thing about the Switch, is games pretty much are in their full glory even when on the handheld. I mean... I get what you mean. But at the same time, I always preferred console for the same reason... until now. Now that games are in their full glory on a handheld, it makes me really love playing in handheld. In terms of portability though, tabletop is by far the most useful and luxurious, and my favorite.

So, I actually went back to the stones and switched to Warrior. Just didn't feel up to the task of learning spells and being vulnerable and not knowing what spell books to buy (and needing money to buy). However, you are what you play, right? And I've been using my fire magic quite often. Pretty much keep a sword in my right hand and Fire in the left. I'm trying to make sure I level up my sword skills equally as much as Fire. Because at first all I was using was fire.

I did put one of my skill points into restoration though because I just think that's a really good spell to have for anyone. It reduced Magica requirement by like 20% or something. Idk. Are usually like to play a mage and I may ultimately end up playing as a mage but I just felt safer having the warrior perk and falling back on the warrior play style... for now.

PLAYING
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
Vita:
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

KirbyTheVampire

@JaxonH Yeah, I think it just kinda depends on the individual. Some people think games are at there best when portable, and other people prefer the increased resolution and such. I'm normally not fussy about resolution or framerate. If a game is always stuck at 720p and 30 FPS for example, I'm fine with that. But when the resolution and framerate and sound quality actually drops when you take it out of the dock, I just can't stop noticing it, and it drives me crazy, especially with big, amazing, beautiful new games like Zelda and Mario Odyssey. It would still bug me with Skyrim, but I think I could deal with it, since I've already played through the game.

And yeah, that's not a bad idea at the start of the game, especially when you don't know which schools of magic you want to focus on and which specific spells you want to use. The great thing about Skyrim is that the only real penalty for focusing on one thing first and then focusing on another later is that the thing you focus on later will just take more time to level up. It's not like other games where you absolutely have to choose one class and then stick to it. You can blend various playstyles in any way you want.

Healing magic is really helpful, yeah. For me, that's one of the biggest perks of using one-handed weapons. Of course, you could easily swap to your healing spells with the Favorites menu even if you have a two-handed weapon, but I just prefer having the spell already in my hand. Two handed weapons are great too, of course, but I think they're not quite as good for newbies.

Also keep in mind that you can dual wield one-handed weapons if you want. It comes with the downside of no ability to block, but you can deal some serious damage with power attacks, and holding two enchanted weapons that have extra bonuses gives you more damage on top of that.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

DarthNocturnal

Even if you do commit to a certain skill tree and regret it later, there's an ingame method (two, actually, in a sense) that let you reset your trees and refund perk points.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

3DS Friend Code: 0430-8422-1116

Skyrim

Do the chests that spawn from using amiibos never go away after you loot them?

I ask because it's a cool idea to get daily loot but if it leaves clutter all over the world every time you do it, that's a bummer.

Skyrim

Ralizah

For some reason, ambitious portable experiences have always impressed me more than ambitious experiences on stationary platforms.

I remember feeling genuinely amazed by big, beautiful portable games like Resident Evil Revelations, Gravity Rush, and now pretty much everything Nintendo releases on the Switch. That "Wow!" vibe subsides over time, but it never fully goes away.

Home consoles? Almost never impressed. I mean, I might genuinely enjoy a game, but I've never looked at a game like Uncharted 4 and thought: "this looks amazing!" I mean, it probably does, and it's a huge accomplishment, but it just doesn't affect me at all.

I guess that's what it means to be a primarily handheld-oriented gamer.

I was a bit flabbergasted by Xenoblade Chronicles X, but that was more down to the game's absurd sense of scale. You really do feel like an insect when you're playing that game, which is... pretty cool, I think.

Edited on by Ralizah

Don

Given Skyrim on the other consoles dropped in price, is it likely the Switch version eventually be $30 or less?

Don

Ralizah

@Don I'd be surprised if it doesn't drop in price significantly in half a year or so.

Skyrim

Do the chests that spawn from using amiibos never go away after you loot them?

Skyrim

JaxonH

@Skyrim
They go away.

Not instantly, but they go away.

PLAYING
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
Vita:
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

LuckyLand

@Ralizah I don't think anything on home consoles like PS3, Xbox360 or Wii U can be easily perceived like an accomplishment. But on older/less powerful home consoles there were so many games that looked so amazing and impressive! Back then there was no way you could be ambitious with portable games. I know for example Trip World is extremely good looking for a Game Boy game, but that was nothing compared to how much games like Yoshi's Island or Misadventures of Flink raised the bar.
Now we are accustomed to impressive games at home but Switch is something completely new. It's the first time I'm truly impressed like I used to be back then in many years!

LuckyLand

Don

Ralizah wrote:

@Don I'd be surprised if it doesn't drop in price significantly in half a year or so.

I hope so. I don’t want to pay $60 for it right now knowing the other editions can be obtained for half of that price.

Don

Sir_Anthony

I think we should appreciate how good of a port this is. It runs so smoothly. Fallout 4 didn't run this good when I played it on PS4. Also for those who haven't tried it out yet, you can capture videos! This is me just sneaking around like I usually do. Man this gear looks ridiculous but it's the best I got.

https://streamable.com/aca5t

Edited on by Sir_Anthony

A piece of the Triforce appeared before you! (>'.')> Touch it now!

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2624-1857 | Nintendo Network ID: Acegamer-62

Haru17

I think Skyrim was always pretty consistent last gen. It was only three times ever that the frame rate noticeably dropped for me. Two of those were random points in dungeons where the screen froze for about 30 seconds, the GPU having trouble remembering something, and the third was when I used the crown + ritual stone exploit to resurrect all the dragur I killed in the whole final wing of Forelhost and rushed the boss with like 25 people like an RTS.

But anyway, it's really weird that they would have Zelda stuff but strand the Switch version which obviously won't have mods without a green tunic. I don't think people were modding the Champion's tunic into the game all those years, lol.

Capcom Nintendo Life Community Manager

Contents are ???% sarcastic in nature.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic