Forums

Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Posts 881 to 900 of 1,234

Zuljaras

I was expecting the game to be good as I remember it on PC but I did not expect it to be THIS GOOD on the Switch!

And that comes from a player that never liked to play FPS games with controller. Well that changed.

No more console prejudice from now on!

AllPlatformsLivesMatter movement!!!

Edited on by Zuljaras

Zuljaras

NEStalgia

@Roamer I'd say it's the other way around. There's ONLY small details in botw and no overarching big stuff.

But the main reason is maybe silly to compare w3/Skyrim to botw is because they are entirely different genres. One is an action game with open wilderness survival elements and physics puzzles, and the other two are RPGs. The comparisons about open exploration are valid, but the comparisons aren't supposed to be direct like a lot of fans make it. it's like comparing overwatch and uncharted. Yes both are shooters, but they're entirely different genres.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Octane Then Oblivion is The Shadow and wins by a mile

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@Roamer
It's fine to think it's overrated but you have to respect the fact that the majority of people don't think that, so comparing them is perfectly valid. Because for most it's just as good if not better.

I think it was the better game, easily. But I would never say those games shouldn't be compared to Zelda, because I understand the majority of people hold them in high regard.

PLAYING
Switch: Xenoblade 2, Skyrim, Resident Evil Revelations 1/2
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
PSVR: Skyrim VR, DOOM VFR
Vita:
X1X: Wolfenstein 2
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

3DS Friend Code: 1160-9763-9374 | Nintendo Network ID: JaxonH

Snaplocket

Just started Skyrim and created my character.

Ryu the Argonian: Unlike most Argonians, Ryu was raised in the lands of Skyrim by a middle-class Nord family. It is unknown what happened to his biological parents but it's suspected that they were killed by bandits. While he has faced some ridicule by his peers due to his appearance, his adoptive family raised him dearly and taught him to fight for what's right. Unfortunately, it turns out his parents were part of the resistance and were killed by the soldiers who then captured Ryu. While Ryu had no knowledge of their involvement, he none the less was branded as a criminal to be executed.

Snaplocket

subpopz

NEStalgia wrote:

But the main reason is maybe silly to compare w3/Skyrim to botw is because they are entirely different genres. One is an action game with open wilderness survival elements and physics puzzles, and the other two are RPGs. The comparisons about open exploration are valid, but the comparisons aren't supposed to be direct like a lot of fans make it.

This is so true. Open world isn't a 'genre' on it's own. GTA 5 is open world and no one would compare it to BotW. I think people try and lump Skyrim and BotW together just because they share a fantasy theme.

subpopz

Snaplocket

@subpopz Yeah, I've only played a little bit so far, but I have a feeling that apart from being open world games with fantasy settings, Skyrim and BOTW have NOTHING in common.

Edited on by Snaplocket

Snaplocket

JaxonH

Oh my goodness.

The motion controlled lock picking is freaking excellent in Skyrim. Just excellent.

You can feel the individual balls inside the lock just like in 1-2 Switch with the marbles. You hold ZL and twist the left Joycon to rotate the lockpick. You hold ZR and twist the right Joycon to rotate the lock. It feels so natural, almost exactly how it would be if you were actually picking the lock. Add in the HD rumble and it just makes for a terrific experience!

Now I see why Nintendo staff were recommending the lockpicking in this game with motion controls. And I also think the motion gestures for blocking in swinging the sword work really well. If I just left the left joy con to pointed upward I block every single time. It's not finicky and it works perfectly, every time. When I swing the right joy con it swings the sword, every single time. If I swing hard it does a hard swing. It just works and it works really well.

I'll probably end up still using buttons just for blocking an attacking but I'm impressed with how well it works and how good it feels. I'll definitely be using motion controls for the lock picking and for aiming the bow or spells.

PLAYING
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
Vita:
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

Spoony_Tech

@JaxonH I'm not sure what I'm suppose to be feeling when you lock pick. Like where is the point where its unlocked? I keep breaking picks by trial and error.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

WHAT IS RETRO DOING??!!

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

KirbyTheVampire

@Spoony_Tech I don't know how it translates to motion controls, but what you're supposed to do is find the sweet spot where it doesn't jam up. If it starts jamming, stop immediately, because you're in the wrong spot. If it moves a bit but then jams, move it slightly in another direction and see if it turns more before it jams. If it does, great, you're getting closer. If it jams faster than before, you're moving it the wrong way, and should move it in the other direction.

KirbyTheVampire

Ralizah

@JaxonH I don't think anyone answered earlier: regarding the motion controlled aiming, does this game function like Zelda and Splatoon where it's easy to aim with gyro in handheld mode, or is it some twisty joycon nonsense like the motion controls in Mario?

@Octane It's on my list. I still need to play the first two games, though, and it has been difficult to motivate myself to do so. :/

Edited on by Ralizah

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

hcfwesker

I'm sorry, Bethesda .... I waited so long to play this game. Just got through the intro and really sucked in, then I realized I could change to 3rd person view which makes it even more amazing. Made my character based on Ygritte from game of thrones <3

@Spoony_Tech I did trial and error as well. the key is to set the pick where you think with the L, then turn with R. If the key hole does not turn smoothly, clock-wise, then rework the L- lotpick part.

Edited on by hcfwesker

hcfwesker

Nintendo Network ID: hcfwesker | Twitter:

Spoony_Tech

@hcfwesker I just figured it out for the most part. I was treating it more like a safe cracking thing.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

WHAT IS RETRO DOING??!!

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Not sure what you mean with Mario. Mario didn't have motion aiming like Zelda because it was just a different type of game. Mario had gestures to perform actions.

Skyrim is like all the other Switch games. You use motion to aim just like Zelda or Splatoon or any other game where you use motion to aim. In addition to that it also has motion gestures like Mario, but they work incredibly well. I still think buttons are easier but if you want a more immersive and active experience I think they're a great option (because they actually work well).

@Spoony_Tech
You have to try different spots and see how far it rotates before it starts to break. The closer you are to the correct spot the further it will rotate before it starts jamming up. You have to go very slowly and the minute you see it start jamming up let go so it doesn't break. Then adjust your lock pick and try again

The HD rumble kind of gives you different points you can try. So as you rotate the lock pick you will feel it vibrate and that'll let you know that's a spot you can try. But you're still going to have to try a spot and see how far you get and then adjust accordingly and you will get farther each time until you get the correct spot where it unlocks. If your intuition is good though you can nail it on your second attempt, as I've done every time (after breaking my first lockpick, of course)

PLAYING
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
Vita:
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

Ralizah

@JaxonH That's my point: Mario had gestures for specific actions with the cap. I was afraid this had gestures for firing the allow, like pulling back on the right joycon or something that would make it unusable in handheld mode.

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

DarthNocturnal

Does the HD rumble actually kick in near the correct area, or does it just rumble as you move the pick anywhere? The former sounds handy, the latter just sounds like a bit of extra (if misleading) immersion.

Better practice either way. Fallout 4 uses the exact same system.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

3DS Friend Code: 0430-8422-1116

Spanjard

Yup. The bow motion control works pretty great. It kind of makes me wish for using the motion to look around in conjunction with the R-stick. I mean in general.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
Little of both.

It vibrates at certain places, limiting your choices. But I can't say for sure it vibrates more in the correct spot. I don't think it does, but it's so subtle it's hard to say.

At the very least, it adds immersion, and limits your choices of locations to try.

PLAYING
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
Vita:
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

Haru17

Is sprint mapped to the right bumper like the original release or to the left stick like the special edition by default?

Capcom Nintendo Life Community Manager

Contents are ???% sarcastic in nature.

DarthNocturnal

@JaxonH

Hmmm, I wish I could test this for myself. The other versions didn't have any limitations on where you could try. And basing it purely on an immersion feature might end up costing you more then a few lockpicks on harder difficulty locks (not that picks are rare, heh).

On the other hand, if it really was tweaked, that's cool.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

3DS Friend Code: 0430-8422-1116

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic