Forums

Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Posts 881 to 900 of 1,231

Haru17

Keep in mind stamina upgrades increase your carrying capacity. Most characters, especially those under the sign of the thief, will want 200 or so stamina. Of course extra health and magicka are also valuable early on for mages and warriors. If you're not worried about your play I would say skimp on health for now because stamina and magicka actually increase your capabilities, not just your survivability.

Magicka recovery is important if you want to fight with spells, so if you don't want to play a tank consider getting some mage's robes with north of 75% or 100% additional magicka recovery (note that recovery rates slow down in combat but the additional recovery is still applied). Sneak can help with doubling your first few arrow strikes' damage and get you some level ups along the way, but doesn't effect magic damage.

Enchanting is good too, but for your own gear you'll want to use grand soul gems and maybe even a potion of enchanting. It's perfectly viable to play without any crafting skills, as Skyrim has plenty of unique enchanted items with special effects. Disenchanting can make for some quick skill ups though. If you're interested make sure to grab any equipment you see with sneak (carry weight), archery, or banish (paralyze) enchantments on them to disenchant, as they add the most sell value to gear (alternatives in parentheses).

And you have the right idea about loot, although a 1 to 8 ratio is maybe a little generous. Don't bother with bones, plates, leather, iron, or steel equipment. Gems, jewelry, rare ore, soul gems, and spell tomes are almost always worth it and relatively cheap in terms of inventory space. Then there are crafting materials and equipment for your character that will fill up your inventory much more quickly.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

hcfwesker

I've apparently encountered a glitch that won't allow me to complete a very lengthy quest, "Forbidden Legend: Reforging The Gauldur Amulet". I've returned the 3 amulets, and fought off the 3 brothers, but the father that's suppose to forge the 3 parts ( i only know this cause i had to look up a video to see whats suppose to happen when nothing ever did happen for me) , but he just stands there and does nothing. I've reloaded my save 6 times and replayed the entire final portion and the same thing happens.

https://i.gyazo.com/da6fa4847e8fb89f0237f3223c1e558a.png

Any veterans have any idea how you get through these bugs?

Edited on by hcfwesker

Friday the 13th Switch Discord: https://discord.gg/KGqkJaN

Nintendo Network ID: hcfwesker | Twitter:

hcfwesker

Thanx for the reply. I tried reloading saves within the temple. Luckily I had one autosave just before entering it and reloaded it back from my House in Whiterun. Finally got through it and triggered the amulet forging. So if anyone else happens to run into this, just reload a save outside this specific temple. I've been on this one spot for hours and was just about ready to end my life lol.

Edited on by hcfwesker

SKTTR

I found my way around Skyrim a bit and I have several quests now...

1. Find more merchants that I can sell stuff to so I can get a house that costs a damn 5000 gold coins.
I don't wanna live in that creepy witch ruin anymore. Everything is marked stolen and thief. One day, through the bushes, a messenger guy came and spoke to me, handing over a letter from a king of some town in the southwest who heard about my heroism, offered me the chance of a second residence, that hopefully is not 5000 cash and has a merchant in town to sell my truckload of furniture.

2. Master the skills
At night I found a soldier camp, and they were sleeping in their tents. I got all the coins and cool things from them, then approached to steal a horse for the first time. But that horse reared up to stomp on me mightily and all soldiers woke up. I shouted my dragon spell, iced the hell out of the sword swinging horde with my newfound ice wand in my left hand (that I got earlier when I stormed and emptied a fortress of frost wizards) and my strongest Einhänder in the the right hand. I butchered 5 maybe 6 while making a run, directly into the witch and wolf forest. Their inhabitants surrounded me, gnashed their teeth into me, cast weird spells on me that made me fuzzy and slow. My ice staff went empty and useless and the soldiers were hacking my backside until I went sleeping.

3. Enjoy the world of Skyrim
One night I was climbing that mountain up to some destination I heard about that has something to do with my dragonblood. On my way I found the giants that smashed my dear warrior princess Lydia flat into the ground. Then, picking up flowers along my path at the river near a bridge, I suddenly heard a weird roar. I wasn't sure what it was or where it came from. A wolf? A spider? One of those crabs? And the black shadow flew over me even in the night. The moment I realised it was another of these giant dragons, it had its fire breath unload into my face. Burning and barely alive I jumped into the water and swam under the bridge. The beast circled above my head and never seemed to find interest in doing something else. It was looming there to tyrannize me. As soon as I went out to run for better shelter, that black shark of the air crushlanded in front of me to fire another flameblast.

@hcfwesker Thanks for the headsup, where on the map is this glitchy amulet quest?

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

hcfwesker

@SKTTR The cave this quest took part in is called "Reachwater Rock". A book in WhiteRun's palace , Forbidden Legend is what launches it, i think. But you'll do MANY quests within the quest line before you get to the actual cave. * also trying not to give any spoilers, but 1 of the 3 amulets, you cant even retrieve until you join one of the factions, and nothing ever tells you that you have to in order to continue the quest line.

Edited on by hcfwesker

JoyBoy

Haru17 wrote:

Keep in mind stamina upgrades increase your carrying capacity.

mind blown

Are the enemies like static? Or do they become stronger as you lvl up more? The last 3 or 4 dungeons I entered were way to difficult for me but I was to invested to turn back. So I decided against my pride to turn down the difficulty.

I don’t remember the previous games being this harsh in difficulty. But maybe I’m just supposed to do easy errands first. But this is ES, you never know where you might just end up when accepting a quest, however harmless it may look.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Haru17

@Spanjard Hehe, yeah that one's kind of important. Fortify stamina enchantments don't increase carrying capacity though — its a separate effect.

Guards, enemies, bosses, and even unique items all scale to your level. What dungeons were you fighting through? Certain dungeons can be noticeably more difficult in the early levels (like Falmer dungeons), but they level out over time. Turning down the difficulty is the right thing to do sometimes if you find an enemy your damage output is too beefy for and don't want to come back later.

StuTwo

I picked up the game yesterday and I've never played it before. Put the cart in, started a new game watched the logo pop up and then the game immediately crashed for the first time...

Being 4 or 5 hours in I'm not sure it's actually the right game for me. It's already clear that there's systems on top of systems on top of systems. I'm certain that I'll never bother with half of them and nothing is easily signposted so the game is already feeling a little flabby. I can see how everything derives organically from PC RPGs from the 90's (and how the series has kept adding things from one game to the next without taking much out) but I never played any of those so it's all a bit dense to me at this point.

I'm also not in love with the controls. It's got a bit better since the prologue (in part since I've had to do less fighting) but I feel like it's a game designed around a keyboard and mouse and controlling it with sticks would never feel quite "right" even if the fighting had real weight to it.

Still the presentation is great, I love the concept of Skyrim and once I get a handle on the basics it's clearly a meaty enough game even if I steer clear of huge swathes of it.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

JoyBoy

@Haru17 Yup, the last one I did was a Falmer dungeon.(dwarven ruins) I took a drinken contest which literally took me to the far west! I talked to one wizard and before I knew it I was there.
The 2 before that were probably my own fault, those were around Solitude which is maybe a region too far for me yet.
But even with some other dungeons. I clearly beat the sh*t out of some of those bandits. But then at the end this leader puts his axe right there in my face.

Oh and thanks for answering the question I was about ask. I'm not really into crafting my own weapons and stuff. So i'm glad I can just wander around and actually find good stuff.

Oh well. So I just decided to go with it and pick up where I left off with the main quest. Time to meet some beards! Or so I thought.... Little did I know there was a dragon guarding the mountain, tolkien style, like a boss. That's where I left off. Not sure If I'm supposed to kill it or run up the mountain hoping he doesn't freeze me to death.

Edited on by JoyBoy

SW-7849-9887-2074

KirbyTheVampire

@Spanjard I've never encountered a dragon on my way up there. Sounds like you just had bad luck, lol. You could either kill it or try to run past.

By the way guys, if an NPC ever dies due to an animal attack or whatever and you don't want it to happen, just load your save and fast travel to a few other locations before you go back there, and you should be good. You guys probably already knew that, but I figured I'd say it in case anyone didn't, since NPCs dying absolutely kills me inside.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

JoyBoy

@KirbyTheVampire Yeah, I noticed. Because the dragon killed me and I went back there later and he wasn’t there. It was kinda awesome how he was following me on the mountain. I actually thought it was scripted.

SW-7849-9887-2074

KirbyTheVampire

@Spanjard Yeah the dragon fights are cool, especially with that really guttural music that plays during the fights.

KirbyTheVampire

Haru17

I got a dragon fight on the 1000 steps on my very first character, never since. It definitely felt special then.

Deathwalka

Any first time skyrim players here??
And what do you think so far??

This is my 5 th time playing and I'm discovering skyrim anew, things I missed before. Playing in bed in the dark with headphones in is sooooo immersive that I'm playing 7 hours a night lol
This game is ridiculously big, there is just so much to do.

Also hoping we get some updates to the game, like adding things to the game, would love it if bethseda did this!?

Deathwalka

JaxonH

@Deathwalka
Me.

Well, technically I started on Xbox One but stopped playing once I made it to Riverwood when I heard it was coming to Switch.

So ya, it's got its claws into me now.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

KirbyTheVampire

We won't be getting any new expansions for Skyrim, unfortunately. Outside of The Elder Scrolls Online, I won't be expecting to see anything Elder Scrolls related until Bethesda releases The Elder Scrolls VI, and who knows how far away that game is. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out late in the next console generation, which would really suck. A new ES game is long overdue. But I get that they don't just want to be the "Elder Scrolls and Fallout" company.

KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

@Snaplocket I don't know. Probably. I've only tried a little bit of Fallout 4, so I don't have much experience with it, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. I love Bethesda more than most game companies, but their games are often pretty darn buggy when they first come out.

KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

I hear Fallout 4 is the worst Fallout game. I haven't played any of the others, but I would believe that, because what I did play didn't impress me very much.

Plus, I just can't stand the setting. The bland emptiness is so incredibly boring to look at.

KirbyTheVampire

Deathwalka

It's funny, I hear a lot of people wish there were mods?
Now I had 72 mods downloaded lol when I was playing on my laptop and I gotta say, I'm kinda glad for now as I can experience skyrim properly at the pace it's meant to be.
What I mean by that is with mods, u get tempted to get awesome weapons and powers way to early without effort and it becomes boring and gamebreakinig! Many mods also had bugs so I don't know what the mods are like on PS4 or Xbox one? Some of the mods be nice it only things that add immersion and effects. So yeah I'm really enjoying playing as it is, and I'm actually taking my time and even reading all the books lol
P.s also captured some awesome kills on the video capture

Deathwalka

KirbyTheVampire

@Deathwalka I think mods are great for people who have already experienced the whole game and want to mess around with them, but for anyone else, I think the game is best left lightly modded or completely vanilla.

@Snaplocket Yep. I can't think of many other settings that are so boring and depressing. I know the games themselves are great, but still.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic