Forums

Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Posts 501 to 520 of 1,231

Haru17

You can 100% fail quests. Not in a timed, you failed this objective sense, but if you accidentally hit a quest giver low on health...

The PS4 version definitely freezes sometimes, it happened to me like twice across... a long time. Getting stuck in geometry is very rare, and I've never experienced being unable to fast travel out of it in a much longer amount of hours than I've spent with the PS4 version.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

mikecrci

It brings tears to my eyes to realize that some Nintendo fans are going to experience the joys of Skyrim for the very first time.

mikecrci

Switch Friend Code: SW-5649-7832-6488

JasmineDragon

UmniKnight wrote:

So, just to get a clue, if people that read this would do me a small favour and tell me if they have played Skyrim and if so, on what platform? I'd like to get an idea of how many people might have not gone for the game, but will now that it's A. portable and B. on a Nintendo console.

I bought it a couple of years ago on PC, have the expansions but haven't touched them at all. I've only played maybe the first ten hours of the game. And I even have the SE available for free on Steam, but haven't installed it yet.

Reasons are mixed, it's partly a portability thing and partly the fact that I despise Windows 10 and don't enjoy using my laptop in Windows mode at all, and Skyrim doesn't run in Linux. I think it'll get a lot more play on the Switch.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Ryu_Niiyama

@UmniKnight PC gamer only, got it (ahem) two days before launch while I waited on my collector's edition to show up. (Installed the legit version once it came in), got all the dlc and modded it to pieces and back. Actually the reason that I upgraded my GPU was because I needed more VRAM for all the lighting and texture mods. I'm somewhere around 1500 hours (on this install...ive uninstalled and reinstalled a few times) still getting skyirm on switch to play on the go.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

MFD

@Ryu_Niiyama Wow, that much hours and you'll buy it for Switch regardless? Portability must really mean a lot to you, as does Skyrim (considering that mods won't be available, and even if they are it will be very limited)

MFD

Ryu_Niiyama

@UmniKnight TES games are nice time wasters. You never play the same way twice and despite all the time I've spent I haven't done everything. I never play evil for instance. So perhaps I'll give the dark brotherhood a go on the Switch. It will be a undocked only endeavor; the majority of the mods I use are to make the game look better, so if I play it undocked it is not really that different in gameplay from what I use now. I just won't recognize half the NPCs.

Edit. Autocorrect can fall down a well.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

MFD

@Ryu_Niiyama "I just won't recognize half the NPCs." Howcome? And why would you buy it for Switch if it's a docked only endeavour? (Don't take me as frowning upon this, merely genuinely curious) Is it to support Bethesda on Switch?

MFD

MFD

@DarthNocturnal Ahh, fair enough. When I played it, it was primarily without mods, but I know how well they work for the longevity of a game.

MFD

Ryu_Niiyama

@UmniKnight So as previously stated I mod the game to make it look better(and to fix the bugs and dialogue issues). I have like 40GB of texture mods on top of Bethesda’s “high res” (bwahahahaha) texture pack.

The majority of my NPCs are changed and new ones are added. Granted I try to get mods that are lore friendly so I’m not for instance changing a raven haired Nord into a Blonde Altmer or anything but there are still significant differences between many vanilla characters and how they look in game for me.

My PC is a gaming rig and connected to my TV. Also my previous post has a typo. I meant to say undocked only but I suspect autocorrect got to me and I didn’t notice. Anyway, no point in playing a far inferior version on my TV when the PC version is two mouse clicks away. I’m not buying this game to support Bethesda; that will be doom and Wolfenstein (I don’t like FPS games in general so this is merely suport buying) as I really like TES games (they are fantastic for meta gaming). For instance if they port FO4 I wouldn’t buy it as I didn’t like that game at all. However I work muliple jobs, have hobbies and take classes so I’m not home much. So a massive game like Skyrim is nice on the go. Kinda like how people play Mario Kart in between activities. Except I prefer to do that with adventure games (made BotW a dream game for me).

Example: my housecarl/wife Lydia looks like this in vanilla: Untitled

While mine looks(mostly anyway as mine has a body texture to get rid of those limp noodle arms) like this:

Untitled

Untitled

And she is a milder example. Uthgerd looks waaaay different in my game vs vanilla.

Forgive any typos. On my phone...and just finished an 18 hour day.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

LuckyLand

Umh I have to say this version of Lydia don't look that much lore friendly to me... she'd look more friendly to the lore of a tv commercial of some sort lol

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

MFD

@Ryu_Niiyama Oh, that's a definite improvement

As for support buying, well, I'll admit I did the same with Xenoverse 2, but I knew I would, at least somewhat like it so there's that. Hopefully you'll enjoy the games as well

MFD

Ryu_Niiyama

@LuckyLand lol from the hair perspective I agree with you and it is the only thing i hate about this mod. (My Lydia wears an ebonymail hood in battle to cover the hair) However it’s pretty baked in and I haven’t been able to give her back her normal hair the way I’ve altered her body texture.

However the other changes aren’t that drastic actually. Her skin, hair and eye (all seperate files) texture is improved and at a higher resolution and you can tell the author used the default Lydia face as a reference. Aside from her eyebrows the rest of her face are only minor edits and the usage of the no more blocky faces mod to increase the polygon count to smooth out facial curves (chin cheeks and forehead also lips...i have that mod applied to all females in the game to stop the oddly sharp angles that hit their chins).

There are other mods that make her look wildly different and often unaturally (as a woman I find a lot of it disturbing but whatever) so. Most of this one is a texture reslolution bump (i think this mod uses a 1-2k difusive mapping). That is the thing about bethesda. Their textures are horrible. So imagine that sort of res bump (even to 2-4k difuse maps on some things) on the armor and buildings and landscapes and you have a general idea how my game looks. You can see the armor differences (resolution and texture) in the screenshots. I use the same armor mod as whomever took this screenshot.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

JaxonH

Nice mod.

It's gonna be surreal seeing a little cartridge with "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" printed on it with the little grey/silver logo on black

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

KirbyTheVampire

I really envy anyone who's gonna play it for the first time. I'm definitely itching for a new Elder Scrolls game. Make it happen already, Bethesda.

KirbyTheVampire

Haru17

@KirbyTheVampire Two AAA games to go to TES 6, but it'll be some sick VR-compatible next gen stuff when it finally comes. Just my speculation, but I don't think Bethesda would have held an E3 conference this year if they weren't going to be able to announce and release a new Bethesda RPG in 2018. I think it would be a new IP rather than a second Fallout in a row, TES which Howard has been quoted it won't be, or that rumored Game of Thrones whatever. Bethesda Softworks giving Prey and The Evil Within 2 a second chance on Switch is more likely than an 8th gen Beth RPG coming over.

KirbyTheVampire

@Haru17 Yeah, I don't expect to see it on the current generation of consoles at all. And I don't really expect many of their unreleased RPGs to hit the Switch either, if any. Skyrim, DOOM, and Wolfenstein 2 were surprising enough, let alone something like a brand new Elder Scrolls game or whatever else they're cooking up that's similar to that.

KirbyTheVampire

Ryu_Niiyama

@JaxonH Isn’t it though? I’m almost as excited as I was on 11/11/11

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

LuckyLand

@Haru17 @KirbyTheVampire on the other hand, when they want to take time before the release of a new episode in a series companies often begin to release remakes of older episodes that are less demanding at least in the creative department than brand new episodes and keep the fans at bay somehow. Skyrim alone was surprising enough, but I will never stop hoping for some older TES remakes on Switch too. They could use the same engine and don't need to create anything new, just convert older games into it. At least with Oblivion and Morrowind it shouldn't be that hard. Daggerfal would be completely another thing tough, I can understand that

Haru17

Morrowind would be a huge undertaking. I think it would need to be brought up to at least Skyrim's level of combat mechanics, the whole thing would need new assets and engine improvements, and that was the last TES game before the series got full voice acting. The whole thing would probably need to be rerecorded.

Edited on by Haru17

LuckyLand

@Haru17 so are we narrowing it down to just Oblivion? That's the one I desire the most anyway

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic