Forums

Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Posts 481 to 500 of 1,234

DarthNocturnal

@Tyranexx

Morrowind played it straight. If an NPC essential to the main quest died, the game gave you the following message:

“With this character's death, the thread of prophecy is severed. Restore a saved game to restore the weave of fate, or persist in the doomed world you have created."

Of course, side quest people were a case of “eh, that's too bad. Better luck next time!“

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

3DS Friend Code: 0430-8422-1116

Haru17

Yeah, I don't think a failable main quest is a feature we want. It would be cool if shops and house leaders/counts/jarls repopulated with some sort of chain of succession though. Guild, main questline, and companion NPCs should be essential though.

Capcom Nintendo Life Community Manager

Contents are ???% sarcastic in nature.

Haru17

Untitled

The global age is so strange, I love it (from TGS Twitter).

LuckyLand

@Haru17 It is not very important, but imho a failable main quest would be a nice touch, expecially if it is just up to you to decide if you want it to fail or not (for example if essential npc are always in safe situations and you are the only one who can kill them, so if you fail is just because you wanted to).
Elder scrolls game are fun beyond the main quest so it would be a natural feature for this kind of games imho.

LuckyLand

Ryu_Niiyama

NEStalgia wrote:

I do wonder what TES VI will be like. Todd has hinted that it will be very different. I don't know that it would exist on Switch (though if these 3 do well I can't imagine it not) based on what he said.....I fear it will be some MMO Sea of Thieves TES Online dreck.

Posting this here so we don't derail the Doom thread. I don't think that bethesda is willing to drop the single player model for TES. For one they HAVE a MMO that is doing ok (I tried it and wasn't a fan but I like the idea of it) and quite frankly Skyim sold A ton, a bunch of times. With the sales numbers to back that such an experience is still highly valued I think they will still have VI be a single player game. Not to say they won't pull things from FO4 and TESO either but I don't think kicking the game online will be the feature that they tack on. I would like the option to rebuild the "ruined city" in the next game (Kvatch, Helgen...its like starting the game arrested... you have to do it in a TES game)

Taiko is good for the soul. Let the drums fill you with FIRE! Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Switch FC: SW-2230-0265-0353
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14 I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.
Villanova University: 2016 NCAA Champs! GO NOVA NATION! 2008 Alumna

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Old_Goat_Ninja

I really hope the next ES isn't online. I couldn't get into the online one at all. ES should stay SP, IMO.

Switch: SW-8029-5307-6701
PSN: Old_Goat_Ninja
XBL: Old Goat Ninja
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OldGoatNinja

DarthNocturnal

Wait... what does Sea of Thieves have to do with it? It's not even out yet (well, finished), and isn't the same kind of game...

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

I would like the option to rebuild the "ruined city" in the next game (Kvatch, Helgen...its like starting the game arrested... you have to do it in a TES game)

Can we bring back the pillory from F4, so we can publicly humiliate our former captors, should they still be alive?

Or we just take out our aggression on the poor saps who stumble into the settlement, expecting silly things like “food“, “shelter“, or “a better life“.

Ryu_Niiyama

@DarthNocturnal I think NES's concern is with the current trend of taking franchises that would likely work well (if not better) as single player games and kicking them online. Can't speak for him of course. I will say if one franchise is safe for now it would be TES (and FO which is just TES with guns and power armor anyway).

I never used the pillory...I think I'm too kind of a ruler. But if you could set up a jail and guild systems and maybe have spawning crime (like the thieves that showup and get shot in riften into infinity) it would be nice to punish them I think.

Bethesda is really going all in: http://nintendoeverything.com/bethesda-on-switch-releases-por...

I wouldn't double dip on FO4...but it feels like a possibility that it could hit the system.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

LuckyLand

@Ryu_Niiyama I hope they will keep TES single player, because TES is meant to be that way imho, but it is a lot easier to make enterttaining multiplayer games, because all the player themselves to some extent create the fun so developers don't need to polish things like quests and contents that much, players will probably have fun anyway, while in a single player game they will care about the quality of the game a lot more.
Other than that, TES online requires a subscription, so even if it is played less than Skyrim it can create much more income: everybody who buy Skyrim pay it only once (ok some people have bought different versions of the game, but it is still less than a subscription and on pc it has been on sale for a very low price very often - I bought it for only 5 euro a few years ago with all the dlc included!), but everybody who plays TES onlyne pays the subscription on a regular basis.
Unfortunately it is much more convenient for companies to release online multiplayer games than offline single player ones

LuckyLand

NaviAndMii

It could be kind of cool if a friend could take over one of the 'followers' (each with different pre-set abilities) for some drop-in co-op, perhaps? I think that Stardew Valley is going to have a similar feature, where it'll be a predominantly single-player experience but a friend can take over one of the 'farmhand' characters and accompany you on your travels - which I quite like the sound of

I'm not sure if I'd be too keen on split-screen TES - and I'm not the biggest fan of co-op games that keep you overly tethered to one another either - but maybe an online-based co-op option? Then again, would I even bother dropping in to my mates game online when I could just be continuing my own adventure? Probably not! ..nah, forget it, keep it SP!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 SNES 🎮 N64 🎮 GB 🎮 GG 🎮 PC 🎮 PS2 🎮 GC 🎮 PSP 🎮 Wii 🎮 X360 🎮 PS4 🎮 MDC 🎮 Switch 🎮

Currently Playing (Online):

PS4: GT Sport (DR: D, SR: S)

Switch: Mario Kart 8 DX (R: 8500, B: 2000) | Splatoon 2 (Lvl: 46, RM: A-, SZ: B+, TC: A)

Switch Nickname: TomCat★

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | My Nintendo: NaviAndMii

Haru17

Old_Goat_Ninja wrote:

I really hope the next ES isn't online. I couldn't get into the online one at all. ES should stay SP, IMO.

The problem was that ESO was made by a different studio and that the actual game was designed like an MMO instead of a TES game (players clipping through each other, etc). I think it would be fine if they added drop-in 2 player online coop to current or future Bethesda games, it would break some quests but it would be fine. However, I also don't expect that to even happen, so don't worry.

NaviAndMii wrote:

It could be kind of cool if a friend could take over one of the 'followers' (each with different pre-set abilities) for some drop-in co-op, perhaps?

That sounds like Tales of co-op battles.

Edited on by Haru17

JaxonH

Wonder when The Elder Scrolls VI will be announced, and would it come to Switch? I think it would unless all of their games they bring bomb

PLAYING
Switch: Xenoblade 2, Skyrim, Resident Evil Revelations 1/2
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
PSVR: Skyrim VR, DOOM VFR
Vita:
X1X: Wolfenstein 2
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

3DS Friend Code: 1160-9763-9374 | Nintendo Network ID: JaxonH

Ryu_Niiyama

@JaxonH Bethesda is saying that these three games are the start so I'm cautiously optimistic. I mean Bethesda has resold Skyrim how many times now? So if it bombs on the switch I'll be shocked. Not sure how the other two games will do though. My hope is since FPS isn't usually represented on switch and Splatoon (while 3PS it is still a shooter of sorts) popularity might hopefully mean that Bethesda gets a good ROI. Fingers crossed.

JaxonH

@Ryu_Niiyama

The interview with Pete Hines is definitely of note. I don't think any big publisher or developer has actually taken the initiative to make a real, genuine effort at building a relationship with Nintendo fans. Like he says these are brand new franchises to a lot of Nintendo fans whereas on other systems people are already familiar with their games. But he says they want to make the investment to forge a long term relationship. And they are bringing games without asking for anything in return first. There are no strings attached. And I think that's a really good move on their part because that goodwill goes along way with this fanbase who is used to being treated like second rate gamers, if given any attention at all.

I'll post it below for others to read...

On supporting Switch

Hines: We haven’t done anything on a Nintendo platform in forever. Breath of the Wild being the runaway colossal hit that it is, there’s certainly some belief like, “Hey, if you like open-world RPGs where you can explore and do what you want, Skyrim might be a good fit for you.” I don’t know what the exact size is, but some number of people who own Switches have never played Skyrim before. It’s a new thing for them, and for folks who have played the game, the ability to take it on the road—you’re going on a trip or commuting to work, it’s a great time.

And Doom is a completely different kind of game from what everyone else is doing. It’s a very visceral, violent, bloody, fun first-person shooter. We’re excited. They both have their place in what’s going on with that platform.

On whether it was difficult getting Doom running on Switch

Hines: Probably no more so than any other platform. Every time you go to a new platform, there’s always going to be challenges in terms of how they do this or do that differently from the PC. But we feel like we have something that represents the game and looks really good. Some games may look as good as Doom on the Switch, but I’m not sure that anything looks better. It’s an impressive-looking game and it’s still really fun to play.

On expectations for Bethesda games on Switch

Hines: Certainly we think they can really well. What that means respective to the installed base or to other stuff—we’re not coming from the same place with Skyrim in terms of, “Everyone on this platform already knows the Elder Scrolls series.” There’s some amount of—this is new to folks. We have to introduce it to them and explain what it is. It’s the same with Doom. There is some crossover, but there’s also a new audience that isn’t sure what these games are. They haven’t played a Doom or a Skyrim. There is some education there as far as, “Here’s why these games are cool and fun.”

On conversations with Nintendo

Hines: Honestly, it’s been a long series of them. They came out to see us before they unveiled the Switch to show us what the hardware was like, what they were doing with it. We’ve been in constant conversation with them, and not just about the two games we have now, but about our whole approach to the platform going forward – what we can do, best practices, what things are a good fit, what they’re excited about in what we’re doing. We’re obviously excited about these two games, but it’s not as if we’re going to just do these two games and that’s it. We want this to be the start of a relationship that we build with Nintendo and Nintendo fans.

PLAYING
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
Vita:
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

LuckyLand

@KirbyTheVampire I don't play online games so I don't know how it works now, but in the beginning it needed a subscription (I remember reading about it on review sites and forums). If they got rid of it probably it's just because not enough people were willing to play a TES mmorpg and the subscription incomes were not as high as they hoped. Of course forcing people to pay a subscription instead of just the price once is very convenient for any publisher - if they can convince enough people to do so.

LuckyLand

Haru17

Around E3 2016 Todd Howard was quoted as saying that The Elder Scrolls VI would be their third AAA project after Fallout 4, that the technology to achieve it wasn't available yet (which makes me think of VR compatibility given that they're adding that to F4 and Skyrim), and again around E3 this year that TES VI wasn't in development yet. So I wouldn't expect it to come to this version of Switch at all, I wouldn't even expect it as a launch game for 9th gen.

However, the fact that Bethesda the publisher had an E3 conference this year despite not having many surprises makes me think that they will announce a new Bethesda Game Studios IP next year. Considering their track record with Skyrim and Fallout 4, I would bet it releases fall 2018.

JaxonH

Wonder if Fallout 4, Dishonored/Dishonored 2 or Wolfenstein The New Order will make their way to Switch? I'm thinking Fallout 4 is pretty much on lock at this point, especially given that the leak seems so plausible now that they announced DOOM/Wolfenstein 2. And it just seems like the next game of theirs that would fit the system. And since they are saying they plan to bring more games it's naturally the next choice.

But I wonder if the first Wolfenstein will come to the system? If it does, they might release it early next year to give gamers a chance to play the first one and become acquainted with the franchise, and then release the second one in the fall. I'm not sure about Dishonored though.

PLAYING
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
Vita:
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

DarthNocturnal

@LuckyLand

ESO is now B2P (Buy to Play). You just buy it (and any expacs you want, if any) and bam, you can play it without a sub. Subbing is an option, but only if you want the “Crowns“ (virtual currency) for the ingame store, which mostly had cosmetics, last I checked (you may be able to buy expacs too).

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
When did this happen? I may have to bite (But not until after I play Skyrim)

PLAYING
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
Vita:
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic