Forums

Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Posts 461 to 480 of 1,231

KirbyTheVampire

The general game is pretty tame, but there's a few instances of pretty dark stuff in the game that I wouldn't be comfortable letting anyone under 13-14 see. Even I was kind of taken aback by it, especially considering how the rest of the game isn't very mature.

KirbyTheVampire

Ralizah

It might not be too bad if you play as a generally heroic character. I dare anyone to join the Dark Brotherhood and tell me the game doesn't deserve an M rating, though. I got my own special torture chamber, for goodness' sake!

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

LuckyLand

@Ralizah I don't play this game as a truly heroic character (like I did in Oblivion, mainly because Skyrim as a region put me in a different mood), but I'll never join the dark brotherhood or the thieves guild because I don't want to do bad things because other people tell me to do so, if I do something bad I want to do it on my own because of my own will and nothing else. So yeah I don't really know what those guilds are about in detail

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

Haru17

I don't remember Skyrim being a particularly profane game, the worst it got was the ambient combat dialogue which uses the B word — almost everything else is created in-universe insults.

In a weird way, Skyrim is probably the best example of a game that adapts to whatever tone you role play as. You can turn a peaceful city into a bloodbath, decapitate people, and cannibalize their bodies, but only if you choose to. I feel like it would be fine to play for a teenager based off my own personal experience, just maybe call a therapist if they start cutting heads off and dragging corpses.

The Thieves Guild in Oblivion and Skyrim are basically just robin hoods, lots of intrigue and very little killing humans (draugr though). Of course the Dark Brotherhood and the daedric quests can get disturbing if you're playing a character like that. And there are very few plate bikinis and I think the game only ever reaches sexual innuendo, your character can never 'romance' anyone beyond a chaste on-screen marriage (not that sexuality is even close to as potentially harmful to view as violence IMO). There are elements of sexism, but not any implication of rape IIRC (I may have missed something in the series lore), and certainly none shown on-screen.

The most violent Skyrim ever gets is the dungeon stories, some of which have stories about people getting murdered, blood splatters, dead bodies who are implied to have died badly, and a couple instances of cannibalism or people eaten by animals. I guess there was that one quest item that was a bloody skull too. And the other thing that makes Skyrim violent which is basically in all games now are ragdoll physics: NPCs and the player character go limp when they die, fall too far, are paralyzed, or get Fus Ro Rah'd.

But yeah, a lot of murdered adventurers and intrigue, some horror-like dungeons, but other than that Skyrim isn't particularly bad. I think Oblivion and Fallout 4 are markedly more disturbing, as I was made queasy by the human remains items found in two places that I know of (again, the Dark Brotherhood) and both games have props that are heads on spikes or Sony 2017 E3 press conference strung up zombie corpses. And of course the limb damage on top of the ragdolling is the biggest thing that makes Fallout 4 the most violent Bethesda game (and the one with the most satisfying combat). That and the grim post apocalypse stories.

I guess I just think narrative intent is more important than what the exact contents of a game are. I don't believe most violence in Bethesda games or any of it in Persona 5 is there for shock value or to gross the viewer out. The later, yes, has penis monsters, but all of the stuff about corruption and abuse is narrative intent. The ethos of Persona 5 is actually fairly upbeat, and Bethesda games can be, if you seek it out.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

LuckyLand

The penis monster is due to traditional cultures from which the game's pantheon take inspiration from. All the demons are inspired by existing gods or demons.

About Skyrim and Oblivion, I think it is far more common to see burned corpses and bloody remains in Skyrim. You actually see some gory elements quite often in Skyrim, more often than in Oblivion if you ask me, but usually it still isn't overly emphasized and is justified by the stories that takes place in the game. It is not cheap or redundant.

Haru17

Well if you're counting mummified corpses, yeah, Skyrim has more of those. But that's the kind of thing they show on the nightly news. Oblivion's namesake dungeon type had tons of about burnt, tortured, often missing-limbed bodies. I wasn't really counting the draugr for that reason. Maybe there are more bloody murders in Skyrim, but I feel like that's because there were several quests about catching or pursuing murders.

LuckyLand

Looks fantastic!

Haru17

Whelp, time to buy a Switch case. The dragon on the cover of Skyrim is the symbol of the Septim / Imperial Empire, for anyone wondering. That's why it's on all of the gold coins.

Agriculture

Snaplocket wrote:

I decided to pre-order this game as I've never played it before and heard many good things about it.

It's a great game, especially the expansion Dragonborn.

Agriculture

Tyranexx

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

HORI The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim Limited Edition Accessory Set for Nintendo Switch Officially Licensed by Nintendo & Bethesda - Nintendo Switch

Untitled

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0764KWY86/

More images at the link.

Insert excessive drooling here

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

KirbyTheVampire

I like the design, but that material looks pretty cheap compared to the official Nintendo cases.

KirbyTheVampire

maruse

Obviously nobody knows for sure just yet, but if anyone has played other console's version I would like to know if there is a setting that lets you choose the language.
I'll buy the Japanese version (probably) but would like to have the option of playing the game in English.
Probably the game will pick up the Switch's system language and present the game in that language... but I would love to be able to choose like with Breath of the Wild or Shovel Knight.

Nickname/user name: マノロ

Switch Friend Code: SW-0173-2422-2348 | Nintendo Network ID: maruse

Zuljaras

Damn the pouch is soft. I already have the hard official pouch so I got it covered.

Do I really need to wait another 15 days for the game ;(

Zuljaras

After seeing the absolute atrocity with LA Noire I must ask this for Skyrim and Doom. Are both games going to be FULLY playable just from the cartridge? I know that Doom single player will be on the cartridge but I do not if this is confirmed to be the case. Same for Skyrim.

Grandpa_Pixel

Zuljaras wrote:

After seeing the absolute atrocity with LA Noire I must ask this for Skyrim and Doom. Are both games going to be FULLY playable just from the cartridge? I know that Doom single player will be on the cartridge but I do not if this is confirmed to be the case. Same for Skyrim.

DOOM requires a download for multiplayer but the single player is entirely on the cartridge. As for Skyrim I don't know its situation

Grandpa_Pixel

Zuljaras

@DarthNocturnal I hope because I will instantly regret the purchase of my Switch. I buy physical games just for that to be able to enjoy them fully without internet or extra downloads.

I do not want another PS4/XboxOne type of deal. Keep it clean!

LuckyLand

Skyrim pre download is already available at least on european eShop! I already bought it and I'm downloading it right now! Can't wait for it to be available to play!!!

SplatGuy

I'm stoked for it. I never played. Zelda is great, so only thing I can compare it to when it comes out.

SplatGuy

Grumblevolcano

@Tsurii I posted it in the main Switch thread, 14.3GB so for physical it's either a 16GB cart with the whole game or 8GB cart with a mandatory download.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic