Forums

Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Posts 241 to 260 of 1,231

KirbyTheVampire

@MegaTen Like the poster above me said, they're actually pretty comparable in world size, but Skyrim's world is so much more interesting despite that.

The combat and some of the other gameplay in Skyrim is definitely weaker, as are the puzzles, but nearly everything else is better IMO.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

Haru17

The stealth is better, and there is a lot more variety including hundreds of spells and spell-modifying perks that recent Zeldas don't even broach. But yes, Breath of the Wild has more solid melee combat.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

LuckyLand

Breath of the wild is more polished in the way Link behaves and interacts with the environment and has better puzzles, everything else is much better in Skyrim.
In my opinion combat in both games have it pros and cons. I prefer combat in Skyrim honestly but I know it feels rather stiff and unnatural when it comes to melee weapons. On the other hand it is more varied, more customizable and less frustrating than in Breath of the wild

The worst thing about Skyrim in my opinion is the structure of many of its quest, expecially the most important ones (guild quests for examples)... NPCs talk to you like you are their little slave, they just give you tasks without explaining you anything, in some cases those tasks don't even make sense at all (mages - idiots - guild) and when the quest end you suddenly become like a king, everybody praise you and act like you are some superior being.

In Oblivion quests were understandable, the stories were well written (except the main one lol) and you had a more active attitude towards them, you were not a puppet following other people's orders given to you like you were not even worth to understand them. Sometimes you were praised like a king after the end of a quest ok but in that case you actually felt like a king! It was cool. Usually after I beat a quest in Skyrim I feel like a fool... That's why I don't do many quests in that game. Everything else is good / great, but this is for sure a big downside for it

Edited on by LuckyLand

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

Haru17

I questioned how realistic the companion relationships in Fallout 4 were, but then I played Persona 3 and realized they were just social links. It's basically the same thing with guilds in Skyrim; you become praise-worthy and central to them because that's all you can do with a character-created silent protagonist in a role-playing game. You can't presume anything about their character so you have to keep things vague.

LuckyLand

Even in Oblivion you created your character, but nobody treated you like you were their puppet, because in Oblivion quests were well written enough so you could understand their point and manage your way through them in a more "active" position... In Skyrim even when quests are more complex than fetch quests you are just following orders that nobody even cares to explain you, and in some cases I bet even developers would not be able to explain anything since it does not make any sense anyway (they call it magic for a reason! I'm feeling so magic right now!).
It's not always like that, for example I liked the quest where you had to kill bandits that were tolerated by nords just because they were nords too, it is one of my favourite quests in this game even if it is so simple and basic because it makes sense and the NPC that gives it to you shows some respect for you since the beginning.

Come on, think about how marvelous "A shadow over Hackdirt" was! You don't get stuff that good in Skyrim unfortunately...

Edited on by LuckyLand

-Juice-

@Haru17 Fallout 1, Fallout 2, and Fallout New Vegas beg to differ. Then again, that's because they're TRUE RPGs. They focus on character dialogue and the various implications and consequences of said dialogue. The Bethesda Fallout entries fail at this.

Bethesda also hasn't had dedicated writers since Morrowind. Oblivion, Fo3, Skyrim, and Fo4 all had a quest designer moved up to that position. Just like any unqualified promotion, he has no idea how to actually make a good story or just how important coherency and good writing is. He's pretty much the Zack Snyder of Video Game writing. He spends his time thinking "oh it would be cool if we did this, or what if this happened" rather than trying to create a complex narrative that doesn't feel half-baked.

Edited on by -Juice-

3DS Friend Code: 0962-9923-0016

LuckyLand

Well, for the most part Oblivion quest stories were at least good, often they were great in my opinion. They were much better than most of the Skyrim ones. The quest designer in that case had to be rather talented anyway.

Tyranexx

The only ES game I've actively played for any amount of time was Oblivion on a cousin's Xbox 360. I didn't have normal access to the console; they were on vacation and I was taking care of their pets and plants, so I had permission to play the console when I was done with everything. Between the rest of my schedule, I only managed to squeeze in about two hours of actual gameplay. Character creation is both a blessing and a curse for me. XD

The opening sequence was interesting enough that I was invested in the game, but my brain almost went into overload during the opening dungeon segment; there was just SO MUCH that opened up at once, and to me that was both a positive and negative. The last thing I recall is meeting Martin (or son name like that) in a village where my dark elf did some borrowing sightseeing.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Haru17

@Tarvaax You realize that's most of the industry, right? Not a lot of AAAs go out of their way to hire an experienced writer, and a lot of tech or design people get thrust into that position. In any case, of course games made by different studios are going to feel different.

I don't understand why anyone's making a point about Oblivion's quests above Skyrim's. If you pick those dialogue options quest givers will give you plenty of exposition about the lore and history of the locations, objects, and people involved. I definitely felt like the daedric quests were narratively stronger in Skyrim, not to mention the added atmosphere.

But in the end Skyrim is a game doing a lot of things, and probably the most important is how it makes its locations feel unique. The environmental storytelling through notes and objects left in the city and dungeon environments is fantastic, with stories that range from bandits in thrall to an ancient Nordic staff to Falmer invading from ancient Dwemer cities beneath the earth. It's amazing how some dungeon environments are transformed by their current inhabitants, totally changing the mood and reinforcing the notion that Skyrim more than any other open world or RPG is a living world. A lot of this simply wouldn't have the same effect on a smaller scale, but putting it all in one package with certain emergent elements binds the world together and makes it all the more in-depth for its variety.

MFD

@MegaTen I feel like I'm stuck with that one. At one, I do love a good story, but at the other, I do also very much like having a protagonist that's basically one's avatar, and not a pre-set character, as then it feels more like your story, than you witnessing another's.

Do we have any examples of it doing both of these? I guess FE: Fates does this, albeit with varying success depending on whome you ask. Skyrim was an interesting story, and I've enjoyed that at it's time as well, particularly the vampire DLC one.

MFD

MFD

@MegaTen So, what game do we have that has a solid story, is your quest, but still has enough of a quest on it's own?

MFD

MFD

@MegaTen Ahhh yes, agreed. I feel the same way about the Dawnguard DLC, and I hope people will be enjoying that one. I hope that, in the future, we'll be able to have own stories be more personalized, in the same way that a pre-written story can have a far stronger narrative and interaction due to not having to deal with variables (I may be interpreting that wrong, scuse me if I am).

Overall, I'd love to see more what-ifs in stories, or reversals in a betrayal scene where the protagonist turns the enemy's trap against them. Make a dramatic turn into a satisfying conclusion.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Haru17

Dawnguard is one of my favorite RPG questlines. It introduces a really smart vampire companion who's very well suited to serving as a quasi protagonist for the new plot (which isn't just about vampires, it's very well integrated into the world). Just on a basic game design level, they made vampires' eyes glow orange in that expansion, so you can see that companion looking at you even in dark caves. I found that a really eerie detail.

Edited on by Haru17

KirbyTheVampire

The Dawnguard DLC was great. Probably my favorite out of the 3, although Dragonborn was really good as well. Hearthfire was a lot of fun too, if a little simple.

KirbyTheVampire

MFD

All in all, very curious to see how this will sell. I believe this game and Rabbids have a lot hinging on them in terms of third-party support.

MFD

JaxonH

I think (hope) Skyrim sells millions of copies on Switch. Skyrim is a popular game. We've got a lot of new switch owners who are buying up third party games (unlike on Wii U) and I think a 1080p/720p solid 30fps portable Skyrim is going to be at the top of many people's lists. And I think a lot of Nintendo fans who never played it are going to buy this game because of its reputation, because of the Zelda content, and because BotW will have opened a lot of people's minds toward open world games focusing on exploration.

I for one am stoked. This will be my first time playing the game all the way through

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

LuckyLand

Haru17 wrote:

@Tarvaax I definitely felt like the daedric quests were narratively stronger in Skyrim, not to mention the added atmosphere.

I'll be honest, I didn't do the daedric quests in Oblivion, I wanted a 100% good character and they were rather easy to spot (much easier than in Skyrim) so I avoided them like I avoided the dark brotherhood and the thieves guild, so maybe you are right in this case, I can't say for myself because I didn't try. In Skyrim I tried three different daedric quests (only one on my own will, in the other two I was just caught up in the events) but I can't compare them to Oblivion's ones of course.
One of those daedric quest still gave me the feeling that my character was bullied and treated like a worthless puppet by the "quest giver", but in that case it's understandable, I mean that's what I'd expect from someone like a daedric prince lol. The problem in that case was that I did not feel the pressure of it. I did not feel like those daedric princes were really a menace (and for sure Sheogorath and Clavicus vile did not even try to make me feel that way. They were quite polite in fact and that's a good thing, that was ok for the kind of quest they have in the game imho), but Molag Bal did not feel menacing enough imho. He treated me like sh** but in a cheap way, why he treated my character like this? It felt like he was not going to do anything bad to me since the beginning but to complete this quest I just had to follow his orders... it felt unnatural somehow. He should have been more threatening to be more believable.

Sometimes I admit it can also be personal taste, I prefer the setting and the type of storylines used in Oblivion, but I feel like there is something more too. I feel like it is not only personal taste but that in a more objective way Oblivion in this regard was better.

As a whole Skyrim is absolutely good anyway so this is ok, I'm not saying it is not a good game*. It's just that I'd like if it was even better than this. Expecially since I play it a lot more than Oblivion since I don't like to play using first person perspective (and Oblivion's third person view just sucks) and I don't like to play games with keyboard and mouse.

*In fact I'm extremely excited to have it on Switch and I just can't wait.It is one of the games I'm waiting for the most, on par with Super Mario Odyssey!

Edited on by LuckyLand

LuckyLand

You can tell by the colours that this version will be Special edition. The old version was almost in grey scale, in the Special edition some things have very strong colours, even too much strong sometimes. And in the videos you can clearly see that the Switch version has this kind of colours.

SKTTR

So the Switch version of Skyrim is just like the new remastered Special Edition, that means same graphics, all DLC included for free, but with Switch exclusive motion controls and amiibo support right? Seems like a huge deal, especially for someone like me who has never played it. I think I let this join Xenoblade 2 and Mario Odyssey on my day 1 list. I hope I like it.

MegaTen wrote:

One thing I hope for is that you can turn autosaving off. It annoys me a lot with Breath of the Wild.

Autosave in BotW doesn't take away anything from the game
It just saves every now and then,
and every time you get a new item, treasure, landmark, or quest.

You still have your own manual save files to go back to if you want.
You can ignore the autosave feature if you don't need it.

For me it was more helpful than not, seeing that the game once crashed (that was before the update to version 1.2)

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

LuckyLand

As always I'm sure you will be able to decide when and if the game will save. Usually you can decide if you want to save when you enter a building, when you sleep, or to turn off auto save completely. Auto save could be very useful, I would strongly recommend to keep it.

I know it's not a good thing to do, I felt rather gulty somehow, but yesterday some vampires killed a character I like (and is also useful since he has a shop) before I could notice and I used the previous auto save to kill the vampire in advance. That's not the best way to play those games I know lol

Edited on by LuckyLand

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic