Forums

Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Posts 121 to 140 of 1,231

SuperJoon

I have played this already, however I might be tempted to get it for the Switch mainly so I can play it on the go. Dohvakiin!!

PSN: SuperJoon84 | Xbox GT: SuperJoon

Nintendo Network ID: Superjoon | Twitter:

crimsoncavalier

@JaxonH @Dezzy @Ryu_Niiyama

I don't see portability being a factor. Nintendo already said the battery is going to last 2–6 hours, depending on the game. This is probably going to be closer to the 2 than the 6 hour mark. It's a processor-heavy game, meaning that it's going to drain the battery.

And that's the biggest issue with claiming that portability is going to be great on this thing. It isn't. The biggest games we're thinking of taking on the go are the very games that are going to drain the battery the fastest.

Finally, and no offense to anyone's friends or coworkers, but who cares about them? They're literally the last people on earth not to have played this game. This game has (according to Bethesda) sold 30+ million copies. It's a generalization, but when I say "Everyone that wanted to play this game has played this game," I mean it. There may be a few hundred stragglers here and there, but that's not enough to make this game a success on the Switch.

My fear is that poor sales for this game will cause Bethesda to jump ship if there's a TES:VI.

crimsoncavalier

Nintendo Network ID: CrimsonCavalier

rsbrowndog

@crimsoncavalier

Portability isn't just about being able to play on the bus, on the train or in a car. For me it is as much about being able to take my Switch and games like Skyrim on holiday with me and play them without needing to bring along a powerful laptop or a PS4 + TV. All I need to play Skyrim is my Switch and a charger.

And yes, lots of people have already bought and played this game, but I think many will buy it again. I am certainly going to be buying it, despite owning it on PC and having put hours and hours into it already.

rsbrowndog

Ryu_Niiyama

@crimsoncavalier Sorry for the delayed response...just finished moving cross country. I said something similar when Bethesda announced the legendary edition of the game. After all everyone that should have bought it would have on ps3,360 or pc right? However that is not the case. As I said before there are a few different camps that potentially will jump on the band wagon and I think that Bethesda will see decent sales because of this...of course all of this is provided that the Switch sells well in general. I won't speak to the portability of the game as far a battery life is concerned because the system isn't out yet. I can weigh in on that after I play some Zelda on the go for a bit.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Bezbot

Not going to be getting this, it doesn't appeal to me

Bezbot

Switch Friend Code: SW-4750-8467-7698 | 3DS Friend Code: 0147-3539-2436 | Nintendo Network ID: nobboysbro

diwdiws

I was just thinking that this would sell to PS,MS,PC gamers who are fans of skyrim. I mean, this is a very long game, you dont play it for short bursts like a handheld game and i find it hard to believe that a fan would abandon his maxed character,500+ hr save and modded masterpiece and start from scratch just for the sake of portability. Whats the incentive?

diwdiws

rsbrowndog

diwdiws wrote:

Whats the incentive?

Portability.

Also let's not forget that Skyrim is a game about choice. Right at the start you have a huge amount of choice in who or what your character is going to be. It's the sort of game that practically demands you play it more than once so you can see what happens if you make different choices at points in the game.

There's also no way I think you would see everything the game has to offer in a single play through. Even all this time since release, myself and friends who play this are still swapping the occasional story about something that happened to us and there are always responses of "Woah, I never saw that!".

rsbrowndog

StuTwo

crimsoncavalier wrote:

@JaxonH @Dezzy @Ryu_Niiyama

I don't see portability being a factor. Nintendo already said the battery is going to last 2–6 hours, depending on the game. This is probably going to be closer to the 2 than the 6 hour mark. It's a processor-heavy game, meaning that it's going to drain the battery.

Different people have different expectations of battery life depending on how they use the machine. I normally commute by car but if I do take the train (or have to travel further for business) then my journey would never take more than an hour.

If I need to play for longer then, well, USB C cables are common and cheap and so are external batteries. I don't think battery life is as much of an issue as some people seem to it will be.

And that's the biggest issue with claiming that portability is going to be great on this thing. It isn't. The biggest games we're thinking of taking on the go are the very games that are going to drain the battery the fastest.

Finally, and no offense to anyone's friends or coworkers, but who cares about them? They're literally the last people on earth not to have played this game. This game has (according to Bethesda) sold 30+ million copies. It's a generalization, but when I say "Everyone that wanted to play this game has played this game," I mean it. There may be a few hundred stragglers here and there, but that's not enough to make this game a success on the Switch.

I've never played it. Always liked the idea but never had the money or time when it was released. I'm probably representative of a good number on this site that never actually bought a PS3 or XBox 360 so to me it's like a "new" game.

I also think you might be underestimating the numbers that have never played it. Just because a game has sold "x million" doesn't mean that the potential audience for that game has been exhausted. Even for mega hits like Skyrim there will still be a potential audience of millions who would enjoy the game who never picked it up for whatever reason.

I mean look at GTA V - it's still selling millions every year and still finding new audiences. Not every game is like that but Skyrim seems to be.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Luna_110

The idea of everyone playing it always annoys me. You have new generations that haven't played it on pc since they were too small when it came out, you have people that never tried it out due to it being too long and not having time to plop down in front of a pc/console to play, you have people that have it in their backlogs and never tried it, you have people that stick to Nintendo's consoles and never played it...

If Bethseda is releasing this, is because they did study the market and determine there was a group willing to buy it/rebuy it. If they though it was going to be a flop, they wouldn't even have bothered.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

FGPackers

@Luna_110 I'm one of the "stick to Nintendo's and never played it", and i'm gonna take it!

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

Luna_110

@FGPackers
Me too actually. And not being confined to the room with the TV to play is fantastic to me!

Edited on by Luna_110

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

FGPackers

@Luna_110 I'll play Switch mostly as a home. The only way i'm going to undock it is to play at bed or when TV is not "available"

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

JaxonH

@crimsoncavalier
The 3DS was rated at 3-5 hrs when it launched (pretty much the same as Switch at 2.5 - 6). That's just how long portable gaming systems last on a charge. And if you were playing an intense game on 3DS it was also probably closer to 3 1/2 hours, so it's no different than any other handheld system we've seen before. GPD Win gets maybe 2.5 tops, and it's not half as powerful as Switch. But let's not ignore the upper end of that estimate. They're basically saying at the very worst case scenario you're going to get three hours of actual gameplay without needing a charge. That's not counting the time you spend in the menu or pausing the game or closing the lid setting to sleep mode, but three hours of processor intense game play with brightness and settings maxed and wireless on. It's certainly not great but it's not exactly that bad either. Playing other games like Redout or Bomberman you might get around 4.5 hrs, if not more.

Of course this isn't really an issue since AC and car adapters exist. I'll never play this thing for more than a couple hours at a time out and about unless I'm on a trip and staying at a hotel room or something. But when that's the case I can just plug in an AC adapter, or if I'm in a car I can plug-in a car charger. I never had any issues with 3DS and I don't see any reason this will be any different given that it's actually quoted around the exact same time.

And one coworker may not mean anything. On the other hand it represents a snapshot of the real world. I don't talk to that many people, and if even I know somebody who is not a Nintendo gamer who is buying a Switch for Skyrim, that could bode very well. Because if what you say is true, and if there are so few people who are actually willing to buy Switch for Skyrim, that would mean the statistical likelihood of one of the five people I talk to every day being one of those few people is astronomically low. So either it's just a one in 1 million random chance thing, or maybe it's indicative that there's a lot of Skyrim fans who are willing to buy a Switch to get their favorite game portably.

I'm just sharing my experience. What you make of it is completely up to you

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

diwdiws

@JaxonH on the other hand, i frequent major skyrim modding forums like skyrimnexus and the switch is never mentioned. Even the ps4 and xbone was sometimes talked about back then prior to the launch of the remastered edition. So it may mean nothing or it may mean a lot of things.

diwdiws

JaxonH

@diwdiws
Very true. I know my friend told me the Facebook page he goes to for the Skyrim group was just full of hate for the Switch, main complaint being IIRC that the game will look far worse.

But I showed him the comparisons between the vanilla version and the PC remastered version and the Switch version, and neither of us could really tell a difference. We both agreed that once the game is shown and people see that it is pretty close to the other versions, a lot of fans could start being receptive (assuming that's truly their concern and not just a facade to mask fanboyism of brand loyalty, but I believe that's a vocal minority so)

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

crimsoncavalier

@JaxonH One major thing about the whole portability thing, and I'm sorry for not including the other person who mentioned portability as well...

If you're talking about bringing your power cord or external battery with you, that completely defeats the purpose of having something portable. You're talking about extra wires you're having to bring with you just to get a feeling of portability that doesn't exist.

You can't say "It's portable as long as I find an electrical outlet to plug it into!" I can totally see it being used around the house, say if my wife is watching TV and I want to play. But considering we know the performance is going to dip in portable mode (at least, if the rumors are correct), that also defeats the purpose of having these processor-heavy games on the go.

Let's assume I'm wrong, and the battery lasts a full 6 hours, but you're still suffering from lower performance, and you say you've never played Skyrim, but it already runs like a slideshow and has incredible performance issues outside of that. If you've ever played a Bethesda game, you know what I'm talking about. So now you have a game that doesn't run well, but at least you can take it with you?

I think the portability aspect is going to be a lot more appealing for those "casual" games—and I really don't like using that word... I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the whole Wii era, when Sony and MS die-hards called the Wii a "casual's machine" but that's the sort of game that is going to run best on the Switch portable mode.

This is all conjecture, of course. Maybe both Zelda and Skyrim run 6 hours on the thing, with minimal performance dips, and I'll be an idiot. And you know what, I hope I'm wrong. I hope the thing sells extremely well.

crimsoncavalier

JaxonH

@crimsoncavalier
Actually, you can. No portable device lasts forever. No handheld lasts more than a few hours. Bringing a charger is just so that it will last infinitely. That doesn't mean it's not portable. I bring my 3DS charger with me, that doesn't mean the 3DS isn't portable. The fact it has its own screen and is small and mobile and has its own battery- that's what makes it portable. But you can't pretend the AC adapters don't exist or that car chargers don't exist. They exist precisely because portable devices need to be charged.

Not saying it's portable as long as they find an outlet.... It's portable period. It's just portable infinitely via use of AC adapters, which exist for a reason (handheld batteries don't last forever!)

I actually have played Skyrim and I own the game. The game runs great as far as I'm concerned. I don't know what version you're playing but mine certainly isnt a slideshow. But even if it was, how is that being any worse than the console version? If it's got a bad frame rate then it's got a bad frame rate across the board. That's not just a portable problem, that's a game problem. If they couldn't get the game running well on the system I don't think they'd bring it. So I'd wait to see how games run before criticizing their performance.

The point is 3 hours at the very worst is not unreasonable. You're not going to get more than 4 hours from a 3DS or Vita running full power. And you won't get more than 2 hours on a GPD Win. This machine is more powerful than all those systems combined, and it still gets 2 1/2 to 6 hours? 3 hrs for Zelda (so for the super intense AAA games)? That's... not bad. That's a long time to sit down and play a video game when you're on the go. I mean if you're going to be playing for longer than that in one sitting, then take the AC adapter with you and problem solved. You can tuck it in the case... The same way everyone uses every other hand held in the world. I keep a charger for my 3DS at work in case it runs out of juice. Keep a charger for my Vita in case it runs out of juice.

How many people are really going to be gaming for more than 3 hrs at one time on the go without access to an outlet (of course it gets up to 6, but for the sake of argument let's just saying you're playing processor intensive games the entire time and you're only getting 3). If you're riding in the car on the bus I don't know of any bus ride to work or through the city that takes longer than three hours. I don't know of any lines you wait in that takes longer. I can't think of any situation that would be common in which a person would not be OK with the amount of battery life it has. I say this because the 3DS literally had the exact same battery range, and that seem to work out perfectly fine for everyone. That you're getting a portable system that can run current gen console games and yet still get the exact same battery life 3DS got running tiny dinkie handheld games... that's not bad.

edit
And as a disclaimer, I don't actually think it's great battery life. A minimum of four hours would have been a lot better. But. As someone who has a 3DS, as someone who has a Vita, as someone who has played GPD Win... I have a very realistic understanding of the limitations of portable gaming devices. And while I don't necessarily think it's great battery life, and I'm always ready to see more (more is better!), it's not bad either, particularly given the processing power needed to power games of this caliber. We're comparing a device that is literally playing current gen console games on the go with the battery life of devices that are playing handheld games equivalent to that of 2 generations prior. The fact they managed to keep the battery life in the same ballpark as the original 3DS is rather impressive given the scope of the games it's running.

That said, I am disappointed they are not offering extended capacity battery packs. It's not the end of the world and as I said it's right on par with the original 3DS, really. But I would have been willing to pay extra for a better battery. Shame that's not the case

Edited on by JaxonH

crimsoncavalier

@JaxonH

I mean, no... if you're telling me that a 3DS that has run out of internal battery is still portable as you sit next to an outlet, you're wrong. It's no more portable than a console at that point. It doesn't matter if you can take it with you if you can't actually enjoy the portability. And let's not be disingenuous. Portability in the way we're using it isn't "I can put it in my pocket," it's "I can play this anywhere, anytime." That's the whole draw of the machine. That's why everyone is excited. No one is excited that they can take it with them and sit by a wall in an airport. They're excited that they think they're going to play on the bus and on the plane and in a restaurant and by the pool when they're on holiday.

And since you brought up the whole play on the bus thing, that brings up another issue I have: no one is going to play Skyrim for 3–6 minute bursts. If your bus ride is 5 minutes, that's not enough time to play Skyrim. Skyrim is a game you sit and play for a few hours at a time, with snacks and a drink, and you turn off your phone because you got dragon-slaying to do. Not for 5 minutes which isn't enough time to load the game and even open your journal and remember where the f you're going. Again, let's not be disingenuous.

And speaking of being insincere, Skyrim runs like ass. It runs like ass on 360 and on PS3, and that's a fact. I've played different versions of the game on different systems, and they all do. It's a huge game, to be fair, and I'm not saying it's a bad game, but it does run slowly. Morrowind ran slowly at times and had crashing and framerate issues. Oblivion ran slowly at times and had crashing and framerate issues. Fallout 3 ran slowly at times and had crashing and framerate issues. Skyrim ran slowly at times and had crashing and framerate issues. Those aren't opinions. And I had a BLAST with all of those games, mind you. I spent hundreds and hundreds of hours combined with the games, but they run like ass, they are buggy, and they all have performance issues.

I haven't played Special Edition on PS4 or XBO, so I can't speak to that, but assuming the pattern continues, it runs like ass on those as well. So it will do so on the Switch, fully docked, running at max specs. Then you're talking about dropping the framerate and resolution? It's worse because the portable version of the Switch is supposed to games slower than the docked version. So it does matter. If the game runs poorly on a fully powered Switch, it'll run horribly on a Switch in portable mode.

On the other hand, maybe that's why it's so delayed. Maybe they're trying to figure out how to get it to run without slowing down to the point of absurdity.

crimsoncavalier

JaxonH

@crimsoncavalier
No it might not be portable at the very moment you have it plugged in the outlet but if you need to leave I'm sure it's going to have enough juice for you to move and go wherever else you need to and then plug it in once you get there. That's... how portables work. 3DS isnt technically "portable" when you plug it in either, but that doesn't mean you can't bring a charger to solve your issues when you're on the go!

I don't even know why were talking about this. If you say that 2 1/2 to 6 hours is bad for running current gen console games then what do you say to 3 to 5 hours for running 3DS games. What do you said to 3 to 5 hours for Vita games. What do you say to 2 to 5 hours 2 to 3 hours tops (those estimates are just wrong, you're lucky to even push 2 hrs for most games) for GPD Win PC games?

You can't criticize one without criticizing them all. That's my point. So if you want to to say how horrible the battery life is that's fine, but say it for all handheld devices because this is how they all are. At least with Switch you're getting way more bang for your buck power wise since the games it's powering are way beyond anything other 3-5 hr handhelds offer.

And I don't have Skyrim on 360. I've got the Special Edition on PS4, on Xbox One and on PC. And I am sincerely telling you it runs fine. Which is convenient considering that's the version Switch is getting. I'm not talking about Fallout because Switch isn't getting Fallout. I'm not talking about Skyrim PS3/360 because Switch isn't getting Skyrim PS3/360. I'm talking about the current gen, remastered version, the one that is actually being ported over. But as I said before, even if the game doesn't run well, that's not a "Switch problem", that's a "game problem".

Edited on by JaxonH

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
Was buying all my multiplat games for PS4, but the 2TB HDD filled up. And since it doesn't take external drives I ended up selling off most of my multiplats and rebuying on X1. But I kept Dark Souls 3 and Skyrim due to my save file, didn't wanna start over.

Once I got my gaming PC, I went on a shopping spree on STEAM lol. Re-purchased a lot of games I own on consoles because I really love the STEAM controller and prefer playing with it for Western RPGs. Plus the holiday sale had crazy discounts so I said why not

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic