Forums

Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Posts 1,081 to 1,100 of 1,234

Haru17

@Snaplocket Yeah but they're not dangerous, they just have a lot of health so you have to ragdoll them more times.

I just like the enemy health system in Skyrim because you can always leave a dungeon and find something to improve or specialize your character further to better deal with the situation.

Capcom Nintendo Life Community Manager

Contents are ???% sarcastic in nature.

Zuljaras

There is a reason that back in 2011 and now with the special re-release Skyrim was called a masterpiece by many critics. Of course this will not be the case for everyone but for most is a masterpiece.

Zuljaras

LuckyLand

I have found one glitch that I never experienced playing on Pc. Sometimes the level up sound effect plays with no reason at all. I have three Amiibos, I often hear it after I scan the third one, today I've heard it while I was in the water catching fishes. It's not a serious issue but still a gltch anyway.

LuckyLand

Snaplocket

@Zuljaras Well I know for a fact that reason certainly wasn't the battle system or how "polished" the game is. (I still think it's a great game though, just that not every part of it is great)

@Haru17 Even after 50 hours of play, enemies can still pull tricks to catch you off guard, so yeah, there's plenty challenge to be had with the silver enemies. You'll only have a drawn out time if you're insanely good at the game.

Edited on by Snaplocket

Snaplocket

SilverEdge92

Sometimes when I'm in battle, my Shouts randomly unequip. Does that happen to anybody else?

SilverEdge92

Nintendo Network ID: SilverEdge92

JaxonH

Man, I can't figure out the gameplay loop in Skyrim.

I keep filling up my bag and having to dump it at Anise's cabin. And I'm only like level 6 or 7 (maybe 8?) so I'm dying to all kinds of enemies- ran into some trolls. Bad move. Ran into giants- I thought I was whittling away their life but then one hit and he knocked me like 100 feet into the air... should've captured that on video. Idk why I didn't.

I am reluctant to go on the main quest because I feel like I want to power up more, and there's so much to do and I suck at enchanting because I don't really have any good enchantments, and the one I do have (once you factor in my skill and everything else) it only adds like a 1% increase to Magika. And when I try to use the Forge or anything else I never have the right stuff to do it. So I'm not yet upgrading my armor and I'm not yet crafting and I'm not yet making potions (well I've made a few, but I never seem to have the right ingredients) and I'm always stocking up on all the food I see because I need all the help I can get and that just fills my bag up.

Perhaps one of the veterans here could give me some pointers in the game play loop I should be getting into. Should I be crafting yet? Enchanting? Cooking, etc? What should I not be grabbing and taking with me? I tend to take anything that has a value of eight times the weight, give or take. And should I be progressing with the main story or doing side quests or what? My friend at work told me I should take the carriage to all the major cities in Skyrim then so that I can then fast travel to whichever one I need and explore from there but at least I will have a base of operations all across the map. Seemed reasonable.

I have two unusual gems that need an appraiser, I have TONS of stolen crap I need a fence for (but I'm new and in Whiterun, Idk where to find one), I just got a scroll that turns silver into gold and iron into silver. That's kinda cool. And I'm not even sure if I'm spreading my skills too thin. I'm melee but also using magic and trying to use bows. I'd like to have a nice even mix of all three, but if that's spreading myself too thin should I just not use magic at all, or should I just not use the bow? I like the bow, and magic can heal and cast light and all other manner of helpful stuff. And has Fire for trolls ( even though I'm like 50 levels under powered still). It just seems too important to neglect.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
Switch: Xenoblade 2, Skyrim, Resident Evil Revelations 1/2
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
PSVR: Skyrim VR, DOOM VFR
Vita:
X1X: Wolfenstein 2
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

3DS Friend Code: 1160-9763-9374 | Nintendo Network ID: JaxonH

KirbyTheVampire

@JaxonH Don't worry about enchanting or upgrading yet. Your gear sucks too much to bother, and it's difficult to find the right materials when you're just starting out. You should focus more on just getting more powerful for now. Once you can hold your own, then you should start thinking about smithing and enchanting and whatnot. (Looking up some guides on the best way to level those skills might help, but you can totally do it blind if you want to)

As for what you should take, I would grab anything that has a value level above 50-100, and then sell it right away. Basically, if it looks like it could be useful, keep it. If not, sell it. You can only sell so much to shopkeepers at a time, so you might have to visit up to 3 or so shops every time you want to sell a load.

If you want potions, head to various shops and steal any useful potions from the shelves. Stealing non-useful ones can help as well, once you get a fence you can sell them too.

Whether you start the main story now or wait until later is up to you. There's no right or wrong way to do it, although I would at least do the story until you complete the quest Dragon Rising. Then you'll get access to these things that are scattered across the world that are very powerful.

You should do the carriage thing, but I wouldn't travel to them all at once. That's a decent amount of money once you add it all up. If you need or want to get somewhere, take the carriage, but don't use it if you don't plan on traveling around that area.

When it comes to the fence and unusual gems, just take a carriage to Riften and head to the marketplace. You'll meet a ginger guy with a Scottish-sounding accent named Brynjolf who will point you in the right direction.

You can absolutely do all 3, although unless you plan on making a magic-heavy character, I would only put levels into two schools of magic at most, and even then, you should probably focus either primarily on magic or melee. You could dabble in other schools too, but you can only focus on so many things. That's more true at the start of the game, though. Once you've built your base, you can be more free to level up other things.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

DarthNocturnal

@JaxonH

Giants are best avoided until much later (unless you can slowly chip away at their health from afar, but that can take a while).

Enchanting is quite weak (I'd say too weak) early on. It's definitely a skill that you should level considerably before using it to make stuff you actually plan to use. Maybe grab the odd armor piece here and there from fallen enemies and give it an enchantment, then sell it for gold. That should provide some steady leveling.

You should be able to find all the potions you need by exploring. Alchemy is also rather weak early on. Remember to eat a sample of any ingredient to learn some of it's effects (certain perks in the Alchemy tree make it so you can learn multiple effects from a tasting). Oh, and food is nigh worthless. It's really just window dressing, or a means to make some money, if you help a farmer out.

I'd advise doing the main quest for a first run, if only because it nets you some shouts that can be quite handy. And yeah, using the carriage to unlock major cities as fast travel points is solid advice.

Fences are mostly in Riften (it's where the Thieves Guild is). It is possible to unlock more for other cities. Or, you could take the Fence perk. That way, EVERYONE buys contraband.

Wouldn't worry about spreading yourself thin too much. You can theoretically get EVERY perk in the game on one character. Some skills can be fairly easily power-leveled, if you need a few levels for perks. But as long as you don't completely neglect your combat skills, you should be fine.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

3DS Friend Code: 0430-8422-1116

Ralizah

JaxonH wrote:

Perhaps one of the veterans here could give me some pointers in the game play loop I should be getting into. Should I be crafting yet? Enchanting? Cooking, etc? What should I not be grabbing and taking with me? I tend to take anything that has a value of eight times the weight, give or take. And should I be progressing with the main story or doing side quests or what?

I have two unusual gems that need an appraiser, I have TONS of stolen crap I need a fence for (but I'm new and in Whiterun, Idk where to find one), I just got a scroll that turns silver into gold and iron into silver. That's kinda cool. And I'm not even sure if I'm spreading my skills too thin. I'm melee but also using magic and trying to use bows. I'd like to have a nice even mix of all three, but if that's spreading myself too thin should I just not use magic at all, or should I just not use the bow? I like the bow, and magic can heal and cast light and all other manner of helpful stuff. And has Fire for trolls ( even though I'm like 50 levels under powered still). It just seems too important to neglect.

Keep in mind that I haven't played since 2012 or so, but...

1) If you aren't using some sort of restoration magic, you should focus on keeping a good supply of restore health potions. I believe all of the ingredients to make it are common finds around Whiterun.

2) B&A is awesome, but I'd focus on leveling up either melee or magic first. Don't spread your skills too thin. Bows aren't great early on, but if you level up your stealth and then invest in bow skills that grant extra damage when you're sneak attacking with them, they become way OP.

3) Don't waste perks on lockpicking or speech. At least, not until you've pumped a bunch into other areas. Focus on armor and weapons/destruction magic/whatever you're primarily using to inflict damage on people.

4) Don't stress too much about doing things right or wrong. It's a big, open game, and half the fun of it is figuring stuff out. With that said, I'd loot everything that isn't borderline worthless and then fast travel to different cities you've unlocked to sell the stuff.

Edited on by Ralizah

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Haru17

Keep in mind stamina upgrades increase your carrying capacity. Most characters, especially those under the sign of the thief, will want 200 or so stamina. Of course extra health and magicka are also valuable early on for mages and warriors. If you're not worried about your play I would say skimp on health for now because stamina and magicka actually increase your capabilities, not just your survivability.

Magicka recovery is important if you want to fight with spells, so if you don't want to play a tank consider getting some mage's robes with north of 75% or 100% additional magicka recovery (note that recovery rates slow down in combat but the additional recovery is still applied). Sneak can help with doubling your first few arrow strikes' damage and get you some level ups along the way, but doesn't effect magic damage.

Enchanting is good too, but for your own gear you'll want to use grand soul gems and maybe even a potion of enchanting. It's perfectly viable to play without any crafting skills, as Skyrim has plenty of unique enchanted items with special effects. Disenchanting can make for some quick skill ups though. If you're interested make sure to grab any equipment you see with sneak (carry weight), archery, or banish (paralyze) enchantments on them to disenchant, as they add the most sell value to gear (alternatives in parentheses).

And you have the right idea about loot, although a 1 to 8 ratio is maybe a little generous. Don't bother with bones, plates, leather, iron, or steel equipment. Gems, jewelry, rare ore, soul gems, and spell tomes are almost always worth it and relatively cheap in terms of inventory space. Then there are crafting materials and equipment for your character that will fill up your inventory much more quickly.

hcfwesker

I've apparently encountered a glitch that won't allow me to complete a very lengthy quest, "Forbidden Legend: Reforging The Gauldur Amulet". I've returned the 3 amulets, and fought off the 3 brothers, but the father that's suppose to forge the 3 parts ( i only know this cause i had to look up a video to see whats suppose to happen when nothing ever did happen for me) , but he just stands there and does nothing. I've reloaded my save 6 times and replayed the entire final portion and the same thing happens.

https://i.gyazo.com/da6fa4847e8fb89f0237f3223c1e558a.png

Any veterans have any idea how you get through these bugs?

Edited on by hcfwesker

hcfwesker

Nintendo Network ID: hcfwesker | Twitter:

DarthNocturnal

@hcfwesker

Did you summon any familiars/ atronachs? UESP mentions that if any summons remain after the battle, the final ghost may do nothing.

That quest seems to be one of the more bug-prone ones. I remember being unable to proceed at an earlier part on the 360 version, due to another “nothing happens“ bug.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

3DS Friend Code: 0430-8422-1116

hcfwesker

Thanx for the reply. I tried reloading saves within the temple. Luckily I had one autosave just before entering it and reloaded it back from my House in Whiterun. Finally got through it and triggered the amulet forging. So if anyone else happens to run into this, just reload a save outside this specific temple. I've been on this one spot for hours and was just about ready to end my life lol.

Edited on by hcfwesker

hcfwesker

SKTTR

I found my way around Skyrim a bit and I have several quests now...

1. Find more merchants that I can sell stuff to so I can get a house that costs a damn 5000 gold coins.
I don't wanna live in that creepy witch ruin anymore. Everything is marked stolen and thief. One day, through the bushes, a messenger guy came and spoke to me, handing over a letter from a king of some town in the southwest who heard about my heroism, offered me the chance of a second residence, that hopefully is not 5000 cash and has a merchant in town to sell my truckload of furniture.

2. Master the skills
At night I found a soldier camp, and they were sleeping in their tents. I got all the coins and cool things from them, then approached to steal a horse for the first time. But that horse reared up to stomp on me mightily and all soldiers woke up. I shouted my dragon spell, iced the hell out of the sword swinging horde with my newfound ice wand in my left hand (that I got earlier when I stormed and emptied a fortress of frost wizards) and my strongest Einhänder in the the right hand. I butchered 5 maybe 6 while making a run, directly into the witch and wolf forest. Their inhabitants surrounded me, gnashed their teeth into me, cast weird spells on me that made me fuzzy and slow. My ice staff went empty and useless and the soldiers were hacking my backside until I went sleeping.

3. Enjoy the world of Skyrim
One night I was climbing that mountain up to some destination I heard about that has something to do with my dragonblood. On my way I found the giants that smashed my dear warrior princess Lydia flat into the ground. Then, picking up flowers along my path at the river near a bridge, I suddenly heard a weird roar. I wasn't sure what it was or where it came from. A wolf? A spider? One of those crabs? And the black shadow flew over me even in the night. The moment I realised it was another of these giant dragons, it had its fire breath unload into my face. Burning and barely alive I jumped into the water and swam under the bridge. The beast circled above my head and never seemed to find interest in doing something else. It was looming there to tyrannize me. As soon as I went out to run for better shelter, that black shark of the air crushlanded in front of me to fire another flameblast.

@hcfwesker Thanks for the headsup, where on the map is this glitchy amulet quest?

backloggery.com/SKTTR

hcfwesker

@SKTTR The cave this quest took part in is called "Reachwater Rock". A book in WhiteRun's palace , Forbidden Legend is what launches it, i think. But you'll do MANY quests within the quest line before you get to the actual cave. * also trying not to give any spoilers, but 1 of the 3 amulets, you cant even retrieve until you join one of the factions, and nothing ever tells you that you have to in order to continue the quest line.

Edited on by hcfwesker

hcfwesker

Spanjard

Haru17 wrote:

Keep in mind stamina upgrades increase your carrying capacity.

mind blown

Are the enemies like static? Or do they become stronger as you lvl up more? The last 3 or 4 dungeons I entered were way to difficult for me but I was to invested to turn back. So I decided against my pride to turn down the difficulty.

I don’t remember the previous games being this harsh in difficulty. But maybe I’m just supposed to do easy errands first. But this is ES, you never know where you might just end up when accepting a quest, however harmless it may look.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Haru17

@Spanjard Hehe, yeah that one's kind of important. Fortify stamina enchantments don't increase carrying capacity though — its a separate effect.

Guards, enemies, bosses, and even unique items all scale to your level. What dungeons were you fighting through? Certain dungeons can be noticeably more difficult in the early levels (like Falmer dungeons), but they level out over time. Turning down the difficulty is the right thing to do sometimes if you find an enemy your damage output is too beefy for and don't want to come back later.

StuTwo

I picked up the game yesterday and I've never played it before. Put the cart in, started a new game watched the logo pop up and then the game immediately crashed for the first time...

Being 4 or 5 hours in I'm not sure it's actually the right game for me. It's already clear that there's systems on top of systems on top of systems. I'm certain that I'll never bother with half of them and nothing is easily signposted so the game is already feeling a little flabby. I can see how everything derives organically from PC RPGs from the 90's (and how the series has kept adding things from one game to the next without taking much out) but I never played any of those so it's all a bit dense to me at this point.

I'm also not in love with the controls. It's got a bit better since the prologue (in part since I've had to do less fighting) but I feel like it's a game designed around a keyboard and mouse and controlling it with sticks would never feel quite "right" even if the fighting had real weight to it.

Still the presentation is great, I love the concept of Skyrim and once I get a handle on the basics it's clearly a meaty enough game even if I steer clear of huge swathes of it.

StuTwo

Snaplocket

@StuTwo I had similar thoughts when I started and yeah half the systems I never even bother with. 35 hours in and now I'm really into it. That said, the gameplay, while not bad, is easily the weakest part. Is it a great game? Absolutely. Is it one of my favorite games ever? Not really. I definitely think it's a better game then XC 1, but not Breath of the Wild.

Snaplocket

Tsurii

@Spanjard enemies scale with your level and at certain points they will "upgrade", similar to Botw. I'm not sure what the exact levels for that are tho, but I think the last one comes at lvl 40 which is also when you unlock the strongest Dragons.

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic