Forums

Topic: Switch almost entirely bought by dudes over the age of 20.

Posts 101 to 120 of 135

StuTwo

Ralizah wrote:

@StuTwo We shouldn't lock up people who "violate social norms." That's really dangerous and, dare I say, totalitarian thinking. Social norms encompass all sorts of behaviors, from people running out in the street screaming racial epithets to something relatively innocuous like facing the wall when you're riding in an elevator. All I'm getting from your post is that you want to punish the behavior of people you disagree with, which is fundamentally antithetical to the operation of a free society.

We have laws to protect people in public spaces for a reason, friend. Let's focus on actually enforcing those.

Now that you highlight it - that was very badly worded on my part!

In my defence I meant more like violating the social norms that we don't kill people or scream abuse in people's faces. If we started locking people up for acting a little odd I probably wouldn't be in the first wave but I definitely wouldn't be in the last.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

komatsu

so who's to say the person over 20 that bought it wasn't buying it for their kids.

Edited on by komatsu

komatsu

Stereoman

Im wondering what feedback @Ryu_Niiyama would give to the stuff which got posted.

Also i think that sexism is now so haywire is because, we are communicating here primarily with english language. All those blogs and girl journalists post in english. And if people followed some news of 2017. They would have noticed both usa and uk are now failed states. They got huge identity crisis and sexism was a big part of even the presidency fight and desaster. Both countries are major countries with english as mother language. So ultimatelly its a national , cultural or language area problem.
Yes i know there was a female student who got killed in an indian bus or something. But what im trying to tell is that sexism is stronger or much weaker on certain parts of the world, and there are many reasons to this. But culture is a very important part to that.

If i were a parent ( im not ) i surely wouldnt want any daughter, wife , or grandma to be raised or have to live in usa in 2017. That i would imagine as pure torture and self destructive.

Yes my view might be skewed or odd. But thats just my 2cents. And please dont throw the racism word around or that im trying to diminish one bad with another bigger bad. First usa or uk are no races but nations, second of all people, offenders and vibes are all correlating to each other.

In the time of global internet media, haywire problems of certain countries can spread like a virus and "infect" other world parts or countries slowly. And im speaking about the hearts and souls of people. PEOPLE. Its affecting woman and man alike, if they believe it or not or wont want to see it ...

Edited on by Stereoman

MH4 online thread

3DS Friend Code: 1504-7028-1432

Ralizah

@StuTwo If you're saying that death threats, doxxing, etc. ought to be punished, then I agree. While I've seen a lot of fairly harmless behaviors labeled as "harassment," there are a few things that should never be tolerated.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

RR529

I don't have much to add to the sexism discussion, but I had to address one thing.

Stereoman wrote:

And if people followed some news of 2017. They would have noticed both usa and uk are now failed states.

Wut? Not that I can speak for the UK (though I assume you're greatly overestimating how dire things are there as well), I can guarantee that the recent election in the US hasn't yet affected the lives of most Americans in any meaningful way, and they are going about their lives as they always have.

In fact, despite the issues that are present (because there are issues, I don't deny), the US (and I assume the UK) is still one of the most well off (if not THE most well off) places on the planet to live for anyone, including women.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Krull

Failed state: a state whose political or economic system has become so weak that the government is no longer in control.

Not sure that entirely applies to either the UK or US (no matter how much I dislike the outcomes in recent votes there), or that it relates to sexism. I'm raising two daughters in the UK and, while British society isn't entirely gender-blind and is some way behind the likes of Sweden (my motherland!), it is in the top 30 for gender equality, according to the UN, which is pretty darn good. The US is just inside the top 50, which is less impressive given its level of development, but that's still the top quarter of around 200 ranked nations.

Oops. This is a Nintendo games site... So, um, what about the female lineup on Street Fighter II? It's not very impressive... Good to see the expanded character list, though. Originally, I thought they might go ALL the way back to the original roster, before Cammie and Fei Long etc.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Lethal

I love the title of this thread. Should be renamed to "Switch almost entirely purchased by dudes with jobs"

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

CosmicLight

@Ryu_Niiyama "Women wouldn't have to fight for equality in treatment in society and female wouldn't be seen as derogatory by male culture still even in 2017. Women endure specific harassment because we are female."

When it comes to woman’s rights, woman have rights in all the areas they want rights. And when you look at certain areas it does seem woman even have more rights than men. Some woman say they are being oppressed by men, that we’re still in a patriarchy. You also have woman fighting for rights in areas they already have rights in, so they are basically fighting an imaginary oppression that doesn’t exist. This isn’t the 1950’s anymore.

Lets take for example the claim some people say that woman gets paid less than men. A claim that is a myth and has been debunked many times. The equal pay act of 1963 makes it illegal for a woman to get paid less than men. If a female is making less than a man that does the same job, than it’s a winning case for the woman to sue the company. Companies won’t allow this because it’ll be devastating for them. Community backlash, Public Relations backlash, them losing customers. It’ll hurt them in the long run, so they are more willing to give woman more opportunities and advantages over men just so they won’t appear sexist. Just look at Youtube pulling ads from people they think has inappropriate material, or the whole Jontron Yooka Laylee thing that just happened. They don’t want to be seen to be associating with discriminatory material, which will hurt them.

There is no wage gap. It’s actually an earnings gap. Men on average make more than woman. That’s because men traditional choose jobs that pay more such as computer science, physics, mechanical and electrical engineering. Women usually choose jobs that pay less like liberal arts, social sciences, and education. The wage gap myth doesn’t take into consideration job positions, hours worked, or different jobs worked, it has nothing to do with the same job, it has nothing to do with sexist discrimination. If woman want to be paid the same as men then woman should choose the same jobs men are choosing. http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2014/10/28/359419934/who-st...

If women did get paid less than men, then wouldn’t there be more woman workers than men. The whole women aren’t being allowed to work jobs because sexism doesn’t make sense, especially when it’s illegal. Woman would be more likely to be hired than men if paid less, because that means more money for the corporation. There’s a reason why jobs are being outsourced to other countries where people are paid less for the same work, it means more money for big corporations. Also Woman makes up 47% of the labor force. The whole thing that men are more advantaged as being seen as the only breadwinner’s in society isn’t true. How can men be the only breadwinners when woman are taking 47% of the bread. https://www.dol.gov/wb/factsheets/qf-laborforce-10.htm

There’s also complaint’s that woman aren’t represented in politics. That woman only have 1/5th representation in politics because sexism. When you look at college classes people take, not that many woman take Political Methodology classes. 1/5th of the people that attend are woman, so this reflects the amount of seats taken in politics. http://read.hipporeads.com/political-sciences-gender-problem/

Also when you look at data of the types of people that attend colleges, more woman are attending colleges than men with the gap only getting bigger favoring woman. https://www.forbes.com/sites/ccap/2012/02/16/the-male-female-...

Since women are prioritized for college spaces, it can’t be an issue of woman being disadvantaged in representation when attending college. How can colleges be sexist if woman take up more spaces than men. If more women want political representation, then more should take Polmeth classes. Also there is about a 50/50 split in female and men population. Woman has just as much of voting representation as men. If we aren’t having more female politicians, then that could also mean that woman are not voting for more female politicians. If you want more females, than vote them in. And we shouldn’t vote based on gender. We should vote based on the policies the person has and whether or not we think would be a good politician. Gender should not be a reason for voting a person.

The whole this country is less safe for woman isn’t true. In Canada men are actually more targeted for violence and robbery than woman. As much as twice as likely for level 2 assaults compared to woman. And it’s a similar situation in the US. Especially when gang members are attacking other gang member’s, which are usually men. It’s less safe to be a man than a woman. http://www.victimsweek.gc.ca/res/r512.html

Woman on average get less severe prison sentences than men for the same crimes. 93% of federal inmates are male. If Mansplaining exists, that men’s voices are more important and are shutting woman up because sexism, than why are men’s voices not heard when they are being attacked by females, that no one takes seriously, and you have a disproportionate shelters for men. And putting the word Man in in front of what the person is doing, in this case “explaining,” is making it a gender issue, a sexist implication, which I thought many woman are against, especially when people are trying to go gender neutral these days, with gender neutral words. If the same was said that a woman is womansplaining, i’m pretty sure some woman would be up in arms for you saying that. Also 78% of suicides are male. So where is this male privilege?

Someone has brought up research about Woman being targets on online harassment. Woman are mainly the targets for sexual harassment true, but men are mostly the primary targets for threats. What @NEStalgia said was true that online is toxic for both men and woman, with men being the majority targets of harassment. Heres the pew research.
http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/10/22/online-harassment/pi_20...

Ryu you seem like a nice person and it’ll suck for you, or anyone else reading this, to fall for the debunked information that modern 3rd wave feminist’s use. There are actually a couple of advantages to being a woman over a man in western countries, with woman having more rights in certain areas, and there are also benefits to being a man. And I’m not saying this to downgrade any actual problems woman face. Of course there are still some problems that both men and woman face that need’s equality. But we don’t live in this crazy patriarchy that some people say, anecdotal evidence aside. This isn’t the 1920’s anymore. I don’t know if you know this stuff already, but I’m saying it for just in case reasons for you or others that are reading. We shouldn’t have a gender war thing, there's no point in gender resentment, like some men and woman do have. It'll just create big unnecessary anger.

Edited on by CosmicLight

CosmicLight

KirbyTheVampire

@CosmicLight Thank you. I especially don't understand why the gender wage gap myth is still being spread around. (Not talking about people like Ryu, mind you, but vocal third wave feminist groups who have a voice when they really shouldn't.) It's been completely debunked, but many feminist groups/companies like Buzzfeed still act like it's real, which is just a ridiculous claim. I've never heard of any women complaining that they earn less money than their male counterparts when they're working in the same job with the same hours. Even if that did happen, their employer would be breaking federal law.

A lot of myths about women's rights in general still get spread around though, like you said. I only singled out the wage gap one because it's one of the more far-fetched claims that feminists use to aid their agenda, but there are plenty of issues that some women think they have when they actually don't, and there are plenty of advantages some feminists think men have over women when we actually don't. (Granted, men do have some advantages in society over women, but it does go both ways) and feminism today doesn't help to stop that at all. That's mainly why I never have and never will consider myself a feminist. I wholeheartedly support equality, but feminism in general seems to be the driving force in the gender wars and unnecessarily making women look like victims, and frankly just causes conflict where there doesn't need to be any. That's not to say every feminist is like that, though. You can call yourself a feminist and still be a reasonable person. I just don't like where feminism has gone, especially in recent years, and wouldn't want to associate myself with it.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

Krull

bites lip

Let's just say I disagree on several points. Though CosmicLight, I do also hate the pejorative "mansplaining".

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

kkslider5552000

While I agree with a lot of the points, I feel I should state one thing very clearly. Women still deal with more sexism than men. I feel confident in this more than most remotely controversial opinions I could have, ignoring all emotional reactions, that this is 100%, factually true. If that's not what you've seen in life, awesome. I've seen too many patterns too many times to ignore that as a very clear reality, no matter how much things have improved the past century.

But people's reaction to that being to hypocritically do the same to men are top-tier, infuriating garbage people who I want out of society. Ruining things for everyone. And it also doesn't help to rely purely on outdated statistics, rather than the reality that societal issues with past sexism are not remotely easy to get rid of no matter how the law works or how much you work towards genuine equality.

Don't make me ****ing regret putting my opinion out there btw. This is reasonable (to the absolute best of my knowledge at least). I will not tolerate unreasonable, absurd people. Neither should you.

tbh, I have little to say about this thread. No matter how you look at it as a gender discussion, it's literally just "yep, that's the trend alright!" Even if you want to do a "it is a shame there aren't as many hardcore female gamers" thing (which I would if the internet wasn't miserable for this type of discussion), there's many more relevant things to talk about beyond an obvious trend.

(as a sidenote, Nintendo has mostly been a place of casual female character inclusion the past few years, in which "casual female character inclusion" is all I wanted, instead of being reminded that horribly backwards people or god awful think pieces about why boobs are bad exist)

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

LetsGoRetro

I hate people holding onto this kind of crap. "Things are soooooooo tough for women, gee golly I wouldn't want to be a girl in 2017!!!!"

They got everything they've wanted over the past 6 or so decades. Every group that liberals want to parade around and pretend like they're victimized puppies so they can virtue signal how great of a human being they are have things way easier now

In fact, they have it the easiest. And honesty, they deserve to have it a little easier because they DID have it so bad for so long. But let's not continue to pretend this is 1956 and so many changes are needed.

EVERY company, EVERY movie, all you hear is praise for diversity. Diversity, diversity, diversity. If something is majority white, like an award show, it's bashed beyond belief. If a company hires too many whites, it's a racist company. Too many males? Its a sexist company. Not enough gay people? They obviously hate gays, right?

You will say I misconstrued it, right? Okay, well then good news, guys. I've found an all black company and an all Asian company and I'm going to diversify it by making it hire a bunch of white people cuz that'll be dibersity- cool, right?

Every single rule is in every group other than white males' favor yet liberals continue, o play this identity politics game. I have to ask- Are people really this blind and stupid or is there just a hidden agenda here?

LetsGoRetro

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I will not tolerate unreasonable, absurd people. Neither should you.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

I have never had an original thought in my life, so let me join the butthurt!

Well that was quick. I'm almost impressed.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

CosmicLight

@StuTwo @-Krillin- I guess I’m not alone. According to this study most people actually don’t find representation to be important because they don’t identify themselves with playable characters in video games.
http://www.digra.org/wp-content/uploads/digital-library/11313...

It doesn’t matter if the playable character is a man (Italian Plumber), woman (Bayonetta, Tomb Raider), hispanic, black, white, raccoon (sly cooper), a box (boxboy), robot, or bunny, people don’t care. People just don’t care about ethnicity, race, species or gender of the characters. What they care about more is a fun game, fun mechanics and a good story. At times people choose characters based on the skills rather than gender or race, like Men picking Peach in Super Mario Bros 2 for her floating ability or Chun Li for her fighting style. Men don’t refuse to play Bayonetta or Tomb Raider just because the protagonist is female, in the same way a woman wouldn’t refuse to play a game just because a character is male. They are just characters people control on screen that people don’t identify themselves with.

@kkslider5552000 @Ryu_Niiyama Accusing someone of Mansplaining is basically shutting down and dismissing something a person is saying based on their gender, which is how it's usually used. This is a form of sexism. It’s also a logical fallacy, the Genetic fallacy. A person’s origins should not dismiss an argument a person is making.

Mansplaining? Who’s to say women can’t do a version of Mansplaining themselves, by calling it mansplaining people are leaving out woman, they can be condescending too you know. If people are trying to get rid of the word Man to make gender neutral language, like mankind changed to humankind, or chairman to chairperson, then we should change mansplaining to humansplaining.

Ryu you brought up that some time ago why woman don’t play video games with some cartoon comic strip. With the Internet harassment thing, according to the study, if someone reveals or is assumed they are a man, then they are more likely to get harassment. If someone reveals they are female then they are less likely to get harassed.

A study on the human brain shows that there is only a 10% similarity overlap in personality between Men and Woman. The largest difference between Men and Woman was sensitivity, with it being higher in Woman. Even when removing sensitivity, there is only a 24% overlap. Another thing that was higher in Woman is apprehension. Men did score higher on emotional stability. So based on the study Men are more emotionally stable, less apprehensive and sensitive than woman.
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.p...

Even though Men receive more harassment than Woman, they are less likely to complain about it than Woman. Harassment seems like it’s mostly a female problem, because woman complain about it more and more often than men. Men are quieter about it so it doesn’t seem like a big problem for men, even though they do get the majority harassment. Also another study shows Woman apologize more than Men, that’s because Woman have a lower threshold on what they consider offensive.
http://www.businessinsider.com/women-apologize-sorry-more-men...

So this means Women are more likely than Men to take offense at anything.
This isn’t a problem with woman being treated worse than men, because patriarchy. It’s about woman taking more offense, talking about it more, making it seem like harassment is a bigger problem for them, when in reality its not. I guess this is where you get men saying that they are just joking and women not liking that. Men can take offense and be apprehensive as well, but they are less likely and less often to do so than woman. Everyone is different even with guys, but overall men take less offense.

In a competitive place, people use harassment to targeted what they think will upset a person the most. And men do get attacked based on gender. For men it’s having a small D***, being a neck beard, or saying grow a pair. These are attacks on men based on gender. For woman is boobs or get out, you throw like a girl, go back to the kitchen, And there’s other insult’s I can’t say on this site for both men and woman.

Even though we have laws that make sexual harassment in the work place illegal, this doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen at all. It can happen at times, but it isn’t this huge widespread patriarchal issue like some people make it out to be. And if it were to happen, it’s an easy case for the woman to get evidence with eyewitness testimony, and recordings to sue the company. Especially since people take what woman say more seriously than men even if they are lying. And since companies not wanting to be painted in a bad sexist image, give more advantages to woman. It doesn’t take much for a woman to ruin a man, accusing of sexual harassment even if lying, than the other way around.

There are some BS articles about how men’s and female’s brain are mostly identical with little to no differences, which is false by the way. They basically used cherry picked data to support biased claims. Some how people think that if there are no differences among genders, then only true equality of rights can happen. You have some people targeting masculinity making it seem like it’s a bad thing demonizing it. There’s nothing wrong with masculinity or femininity. And without masculinity by getting rid of it, there can be no femininity, like how there can be no good without evil. There are differences between men and woman and that’s not a bad thing, they both have their advantages. Feminine trait’s like being more emotionally sensitive and being more caring is good thing for child rearing, something evolution gave woman. Masculine traits like being more competitive and taking risk’s is a good thing in a competing world. Both femininity and masculinity are like a balance to one another. If man is more feminine then that’s fine, if a woman is more masculine then that’s fine too, genetic variation does happen.

So about feminism. The majority of voters are woman. And we have an entire political system dedicated to woman. Women have a huge influence in politics. Feminist and woman issues dominate much of political talks at the cost of men’s issues. To scream oppression in the political system is not true. Women have more child custody rights than men, family and divorce courts favors woman. Feminists have fought to achieve the high male and female sentence gap we have now, that benefits woman. Ridiculing men has become ok in media, especially when you consider that about 70-80% of all consumer purchases are by woman, you have media that advertises to woman. If media ridicules woman than that’s considered sexist and not ok, but for men who cares about them.

We have affirmative action plans for woman in education and employment, even though men are the ones that need it more, especially since woman are graduating colleges in larger numbers than men, and woman are less likely to be unemployed than men. 60% of homeless people are male. If they were born female they would have had better chances. Sexism is more prevalent in men than in woman.

Feminism has basically made things worse for both men and woman. It makes woman believe they are in this patriarchy, and have woman fearing that men thinking they are out to get them. You also have woman that were once nice people now becoming man hating misandrist. Feminism does not care about men. It also makes men feel shame just for being born male. Feminism isn’t about equal rights anymore.

Feminism spreads the hatred of men and it doesn’t even have a high opinion about woman, it treats woman like children. Woman in the western world today and for about half a century are the most privileged and most protected demographic in human history. Our entire political, media and education system revolves around pandering the needs of woman. Women are advantaged over men in almost every way that matters. And for some reason people scream oppression and patriarchy.

Feminism also has destroyed the education system. It turned colleges into indoctrination centers especially with their gender studies classes. You have men in the college education system that are belittled and marginalized to the point where some drop out. Feminism attacks the justice system, it attacks the principle of democracy, it’s ruining free speech, and it’s polluting the political system. I want to credit Karen Straughan, I got the differences between sexism and racism, and a couple of other things about men and woman from her. And Lana Voreskova I got stuff from her also, she was basically some random Youtuber commenter.

Edited on by CosmicLight

CosmicLight

CosmicLight

@kkslider5552000 The statistics I used aren't purely outdated, they're not that old. One was from 3 years ago, and another from 7. And it shows my point that even back in 2008 when people were crying sexism it wasn't true. And with the current trends over the years of female empowerment, with the media focusing on woman even more, just look at star wars having a female protagonist, and other movies with strong female characters. The media focusing more on woman issues than men, making it seem like woman are horribly disadvantaged, It doesn't seem like the trend is going to change to disadvantage woman back to patriarchal society any time soon. And good luck talking negatively about woman you'll get ridiculed in the media for being a woman hater that supports sexism.

Edited on by CosmicLight

CosmicLight

KirbyTheVampire

@CosmicLight Not to mention the fact that everyone loves that said female Star Wars protagonist is a complete Mary Sue, lol.

KirbyTheVampire

CosmicLight

@KirbyTheVampire And Kylo Ren being the new Disney Princess, or in this case Disney Prince.
Princess Leia, Prince Ren.

CosmicLight

Ralizah

Reye is an incredibly boring protagonist. She's way too much of a Mary Sue type character to work well with the rest of the cast, and she's not nearly likable enough to carry the film on her own, Die Hard style.

Although, honestly, I could have put up with that if episode VII wasn't just a worse remake of the original Star Wars.

At least Rogue One was pretty good.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Stereoman

my personal thread analyze feel free to correct me if im wrong, because im just a simple lurker!
i stopped analyzing after page5 because its alot of cyrcle jerking and samish scheme. nothing moving forward or backwards.
this thread is about 4 pages spam.
i use estimates:

About 18 constructive individual posts
offtopic nitpicking:1
alot of cynist Anon talk: 6
Wikipedia warriors: 2-3
Rule fanatic: 1
Noob lurker: 2 those are shocked about toxity especially for Nlife( here i include myself too)

special master troll award to @ryu_niiyama
very good hijacking
love the posts from @StuTwo and @Nestalgia @Tyranexx

keep on bringing the input Nlifers!
hoping for more fruitful on topic discussions

have a great weekend @ all

Edited on by Stereoman

MH4 online thread

3DS Friend Code: 1504-7028-1432

Octane

@Stereoman Well done trying to turn an otherwise pretty civil thread into a name calling thread. Please refrain from posting if you don't have any constructive input. I think you know very well this is a sensitive subject. I'm glad it has stayed open for this long, so I'm extra keen on keeping provocative behaviour out of this. So please, just don't.

I don't like editing comments when I don't need to, so I won't. But if anyone disagrees, I'll gladly remove the comment.

Octane

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.