Forums

Topic: Switch 2020 unannounced game release speculation.

Posts 41 to 60 of 129

NintendoByNature

I'd happily play ww,tp, or ss to hold me over until botw2 is released. I think that's more in line with how people are thinking than asking for it.

NintendoByNature

Grumblevolcano

@Octane It's a result of no backwards compatibility, people want to play old games on their new system and there's the extra benefit of portability.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

Honestly, I very much don't want to see Wind Waker or Twilight Princess back again. If we get anything in terms of old Zeldas:
1. Use the Link's Awakening Engine (but different graphics assets) to bring back Ages, Seasons, and release a third game in the oracle series to tie up all the loose plot threads caused by removing a title.
2. HD Remaster of Skyward Sword with QoL fixes and upgraded controls. It's a great game mired in tons of minor issues, so we could get something truly wonderful with some more work put into it.
3. HD Remakes of OOT and MM (They share way too many assets and engine things to not do both). That said, I prefer them next gen.

But yeah, outside of one of these things happening, I think I'd prefer no more old Zeldas. We need new 2D ones! Or 3D classic style ones!

Anyways, I still think Wonderful 101 has been ported, and we're just waiting on timing for a release. They did tease Bayo 1 & 2 and W101 at the same time after all. I'd play that game way too many hours if it got a rerelease (I had more hours in Astral Chain than XC2 or Octopath Traveler...) I wouldn't say no to Madworld HD either since I've never gotton to play it, and that'd give us all of Platinum's old original IP console games.

Let's see... Okami 2 is rumored, and I can't imagine it wouldn't come to Switch if it's true. Kirby's probably getting another spinoff this year, the main titles are usually 3 years apart but we always get something. If we're lucky we'll get no Pokemon, and the next main series titles are at least 4 years out as a swan song for the Switch or straight on the next system (sequels and remakes as filler in the years before)

I want a new Etrian Odyssey and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, I can't imagine we won't see one or the other. Ezio Trilogy seems almost certain, and probably at least one Splinter Cell game. I could see Activision launching a new Crash Bandicoot title this year on PS4/XB1, hitting PC and Switch... probably 2021 per usual. We'll probably get one more Warriors game in addition to the Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate DLC... just no idea what it is yet. On a more out there call, I'm going to say we're going to get Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge ported over as well. Also, that Witcher spinoff seems likely, and maybe 1 or 2 after how well 3 was received?

Uh... let's see, what have I missed? I would usually call a new RPG from Squeenix but that already got confirmed. Oh, and KH1.5, 2.5, and 2.8 seem incredibly likely, I wouldn't count out 3 either. Also, I expect to see at least one out of FF 1-6 land this year, and an old DQ (DQ VIII seems most likely.) A new DQ Monsters will probably be announced, but end up being 2021 after delays.

The GOTY at the game awards who's name I forgot seems like a surefire console port this year of course. 2K's been awful at support, but maybe we'll see Borderlands 1 or XCOM 1 or Bully or something...? I don't know any other Microsoft titles that might come over save one: Rare Replay. Call that a small chance.

Capcom's likely going to bring the Megaman Battle Network Collection around September, but I'm also going to guess a new Megaman or Monster Hunter game will come as well. Sega, on the other hand, is due for a new Sonic game after the movie, so that's something to expect. I'd wager some more ports too. Atlus is unknowable so... yeah.

And finally, what's Nintendo bringing? Obviously we know Animal Crossing, but I'm betting Bayonetta 3 as well. Plus Kirby spinoff as said earlier, FE:TH DLC, likely one more Wii U port (Pikmin 3), another Ubisoft collaboration, a new Metroid 2D game by MercurySteam, and I'm going to say Super Mario Odyssey 2 is gonna be the big holiday title. Probably one or two more small titles aimed at non-gamers as well. Mario Golf also seems like a given for May as well...

TLDR; 2020 will have in terms of major titles:
A bunch of ports

• A new Monster Hunter or Megaman
  • A new Sonic
  • A new Etrian Odyssey or Mystery Dungeon
  • Rune Factory 5 (in Japan at least)
  • No More Heroes 3
  • Bayonetta 3
  • Bravely Default 2
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • A new Ubisoft Title
  • Kirby Spinoff
  • A new Warriors
  • DQ Monsters or at least an announcement of it
  • A new Mario Golf
  • A new 2D Metroid
  • 1-2 additional non-gamer focused Nintendo titles (something bizarre and unpredictable)
  • 1-2 additional gamer focused Nintendo titles (Pikmin 4, Paper Mario or DK of some sort most likely)

Edited on by link3710

link3710

rallydefault

@Octane
Just speaking for myself, I don't believe getting Zelda ports and BotW2 (or a new game otherwise) are mutually exclusive.

I mean, if it's just a port and not a remaster, I doubt it would tie up the actual Zelda team for any real span of time. In fact, I doubt they would even be the team assigned to it. They'd probably just farm it out or assign it to a very small in-house team to take care of. Especially if we're talking about bringing over Windwaker or Twilight Princess from the Wii U.

If they're gonna do a remaster of Skyward Sword, then I can see some time going into it.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

iKhan

@RR529

I would be more inclined to believe that if it wasn't so widely reported by multiple reputable sources, and if we had seen something from Retro over the past few years.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Grumblevolcano

@iKhan I think the most recent rumour was that it got cancelled.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dezzy

@Octane

Well those are hardly mutually exclusive. Porting a Wii U game to the Switch is a job for a team of like 10 people or whatever. Whereas making a new Zelda game is several hundred.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Laoak

I think we will get a Super Mario RPG sequel. Or maybe I just want it...

{funny quote here}

iKhan

@Grumblevolcano Yeah, I think that's possible, but the way it sounded, it was pretty close to complete when we stopped hearing of it, so it's very possible it's in a state where it could be revived.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

kkslider5552000

Octane wrote:

I'd like new games. New IPs preferably. Don't really care anymore for the umpteenth release of Wind Waker

I'm not sure what's weirder, thinking Wind Waker has been released often or not thinking of the Nintendo games that have been re-released an absurd amount of times. There are Zelda games that have been re-released constantly that you just decided to not use as an example.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Heavyarms55

I think we will be getting a few more Wii U ports, most likely the HD Zelda titles and Mario 3D world. Maybe some HD remasters of Wii games as well.

Despite the haters, Pokemon Sw/Sh was a smash hit and anyone even suggesting Pokemon not releasing another game in 2020 is out of their minds. People saying the game needs more time in development are dismissing the fact that at least half the work is already done, they already have a game engine to build on.

We'll probably see at least one new "traditional IP" and one new gimmicky IP.

I think a Splatoon spinoff is possible, or an announcement for Splatoon 3. I already consider them nuts for allowing the hype for that series to die down.

More 3rd party ports of PS360 era games and PS4/Xbone ports but few, if any, totally new 3rd party games. I think it's pretty firmly established that 3rd parties have no serious interest in developing original content for Switch at this point, even despite the Switch's success. We might see something from Squeenix or Ubisoft, but I am doubtful.

My unrealistic wishlist
N64, Game Boy, GBA and Gamecube NSO apps. (perhaps NSO having different tier payment options introduced)
Netflix, Crunchyroll, Twitch and other video streaming apps finally arriving late to the party and becoming a meme.
Mario All Stars 2, with Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy 1+2 with simple HD up-scaling and reworked controls suited to modern controllers.
Advance Wars reboot/remake
Pikmin 1-3 collection
Prime Trilogy

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

RR529

I think we'll see a new mainline Kirby game (they already have a game engine in place because of Star Allies, and they tend to churn them out pretty quickly, with SA being 2 years old this year). Hope they build upon it and make it more interesting, a la Planet Robobot.

I'm thinking Mario Golf as well, now that Tennis Aces will be two years out (unless they opt for one of those sports compilations they like to do instead). Anyhow, 2 or 3 games Mario related are pretty much guaranteed any way you slice it (even if one of them is just something like a 3D World port).

I think we'll see something Zelda, if not BotW 2 then one of the Wii U remasters, if only because they haven't let it have a year off in recent memory (even 2018 had Hyrule Warriors DE).

Expect more collabs as well (we had MUA3, Deamon X Machina, & Astral Chain this year, the latter of which we didn't even know about until E3!). Of course, Bayo 3 is almost certainly one of them.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Octane

@rallydefault @Dezzy I know. But I doubt they're releasing them all close together. Not in the same year at least. So if we're getting one or two Zelda ports, I doubt we'll also get BOTW next year. And I rather have the latter.

Octane

Octane

@rallydefault Theoretically I could see an early port release; in Feb or March, and BOTW 2 as their holiday title. But if there was a Zelda game coming within a few months, we surely would've heard about it by now.

Octane

link3710

I'm going to go with Octane on this one. We could get an April Zelda announced in January, sure, but quite frankly Link's Awakening is still selling too well for them to release another so soon and sabotage it. If the game hadn't sold well, a 3D port early next year may have been plausible, and even already ready to go, but with how it turned out it makes the most marketing sense to hold it til either later this year (if BotW2 isn't coming as I suspect and we get new 3D Mario instead) or push it out til at least 7-8 months post BotW2.

link3710

rallydefault

@link3710 @Octane
Hrm. I don't know. I still think 2020 is not gonna be BotW2. I know people are saying it'll be faster to dev because of reused assets and all that, but it's still a big Zelda game, and big Zelda games take time. I know some people on this board can quickly give the timeline between Zeldas, but three years feels REALLY fast to me. I'm sure it's happened before (probably Ocarina to Majora, right?), but I just don't don't see it.

I really think we're gonna see some Metroid this year. I know they "restarted" the dev of the new one, but that was last year's E3, right?

rallydefault

Octane

@rallydefault Well, three-and-a-half years if it's a late 2020 game, which gives them some extra time. Reusing the world and many assets, it's definitely possible. Kojima and his team made Death Stranding in just three years! And that was a brand new game.

It all comes down to whether they started on it immediately after the release of BOTW, or whether they only started last year for example. Impossible to say.

If it's not BOTW2, I wonder what their big 2020 game will be...

Octane

link3710

@Octane @rallydefault Not impossible to say actually. We know development started directly following the release of the champion's pack DLC as this was originally being developed as DLC for the first game before being changed to standalone.

But that's why I don't think it'll be out this year, as that'll only give 2.5 years, some of which was still when it was at DLC scope rather than full game scope.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

rallydefault

@Octane
Yea, if they didn't even start BotW2 until the DLC for the first was nearly finished, there's no way it's happening. But I think there are interviews where they said they had lots of ideas immediately after the first one released, so you never know.

They need to be really careful of burn out, though. Honestly, Majora's is my least favorite 3D Zelda, and it's mostly because of the reused assets. Even as a kid, I was just like... this is Ocarina but with a timer (I know it's deeper than that, but still). BotW will go down as one of the greatest games of all time, but just putting us back in the same Hyrule with different goals and maybe like "surprise! there are themed dungeons now!"... be careful. It needs to feel like a totally new thing, not something that could have been 20-dollar DLC.

rallydefault

Sorry, this topic has been locked.