Forums

Topic: Switch 2018 is going to be the Dust Collecter

Posts 81 to 100 of 239

kkslider5552000

Inertiacreep wrote:

All I know is there is not a single game confirmed for this year that would make me think about buying a Switch if I didnt already have one besides Octopath (which is damn worth the buy by itself!)

This is the worst attempt at critique ever. "I would not think about buying the console I already have except for the one game that guarantees I would buy it"

Wow, could you have less of a point? Other than you have much lower standards if only one single player game would make you buy an entire console, yet Switch somehow doesn't have enough games. Maybe you should try playing video games instead of falling on your face in embarrassment on the internet. Seriously for your own sake, just please stop.

Not even highly acclaimed consoles or games are for everyone, but at some point the problem is just you and you should accept it. If you're not enjoying the Switch now and more importantly, feel the need to complain about the internet instead of just...doing something else, the problem is on you. Deal with it.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Blathers

I got a Switch for accessibility of couch multiplayer games. I don't mind that indie games are getting ported to it, because it means my friends don't have to huddle around one monitor, with a speaker system set up and XBOX controllers plugged in for everyone, or have their own PCs and copies of the game installed (and a machine capable of running said game well)

So from last year I picked up:

• Puyo Puyo Tetris
  • Astro Duel DX
  • Fast RMX
  • Overcooked
  • ARMS
  • Shovel Knight
  • Snipperclips
  • Portal Knights
  • Phantom Breaker: BattleGrounds OverDrive
  • Mario Kart 8 DX (a port of the Wii U? idgaf, I didn't own a Wii U and from the sales numbers most people didn't either)
  • Crawl
  • Nine Parchments
  • Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime

I've still got Enter the Gungeon, Hammerwatch, Xenoraid, Neon Chrome and Golf Story on my wishlist

This year I got Crypt of the Necrodancer and I'm looking forwards to Aegis and Kirby Star Allies. If the Switch can keep up with the releasing of couch multiplayer throughout 2018 I will be very happy

Edited on by Blathers

Stay safe, kids: Make sure to save frequently during multiplayer, and always use a stylus!

3DS Friend Code: 1848-2106-5430

skywake

Harmonie wrote:

The problem with trying to make this comparison is that the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are nothing more than more powerful editions of the PS4 and Xbox One. They play the exact same games that the PS4 and Xbox One does, they just do it with higher specs. [...]

On the contrary, the Switch is a whole new brand. It is a new idea from Nintendo. It is not an optional more powerful Wii U. It has no connection or compatibility with the Wii U whatsoever. The games that are released for the Switch are developed and released for the Switch, and not at all the Wii U.

It is worth pointing out that this thread topic is basically a whine about the Switch getting too many Wii U ports. Sure it doesn't have full backwards compatibility but based on sales the average Switch owner is more than happy to buy Wii U ports. Which is just as well given that Nintendo seems to want to port over pretty much every reasonably successful Wii U game. It's not physically compatible but there is certainly a strong connection between the two in terms of software.

Also we've always been fine calling two different manufacturer's consoles of the same generation despite there never being support for other platform games. We were even happy to call portables and handhelds from the same manufacturer that existed alongside each other "current gen". Equally there have been consoles with full backwards compatibility which we instinctively knew were "next gen" machines. And revisions like the New 3DS which weren't the start of a new generation but had some content which was only playable on the revision.

I honestly can't think of a single rule by which I'd call the Switch the start of a new console generation and/or the Wii U a last generation console. Or at least not one that calls into question what we've previously called consoles of the same generation. If it makes everyone happier maybe we should just consider the Switch Nintendo's third console of this generation, one that sits in a third category in the same way that we've been happy to put handhelds in a separate category. Either way, Mario Kart 8 isn't "last gen crap"

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Inertiacreep

@kkslider5552000 you sound stupid... 1 good game is not worth a $300 system for the majority of consumers and this year's announced lineup looks pathetic.

Inertiacreep

skywake

Inertiacreep wrote:

1 good game is not worth a $300 system for the majority of consumers and this year's announced lineup looks pathetic.

What a load of nonsense. The majority of people buying the Switch in 2018 will see a library of games they haven't played before. To the majority of consumers buying the Switch Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Pokken Tournament, Arms, Donkey Kong Country TF, Hyrule Warriors, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are all new games.

Complain about it as a Switch owner who had a Wii U if you want, you are in the minority but complain if you wish. Just don't pretend that you speak for the majority of consumers buying the Switch who have:
1. Not owned the Wii U and
2. Not owned the Switch last year

Edited on by skywake

Inertiacreep

@skywake i am strictly talking about this year's lineup and what a lot of people might think looking at what lies ahead because after the wiiU a lot of people are hesitant to get behind the switch so when they look at upcoming games, a load of ports and nothing else doesn't look good.
Yea i agree with you, last year was awesome... but for the people who still weren't sold on the switch after that, they are looking at what lies ahead.

Inertiacreep

Filth_Element

@StuTwo but I love my dog... dust he damned

Some of Mario Odyssey is seriously giving heart palpitations.... that plumber is trying to kill me!

skywake

@Inertiacreep
Between third party support with games like Skyrim, Doom, Dark Souls and the promise of games like Pokemon, Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4? I don't think the average consumer is going to be concerned about a lack of support. Especially when this console is currently outpacing the Wii in terms of sales.

I also think you're wrong to assume that people who aren't yet sold on the Switch aren't looking at existing content. As you said, people don't buy a console for one good game. People buy into a platform for a whole range of reasons some rational and some not. The fact that the Switch has a fairly compelling library already combined with some other trigger will push people who haven't got one to bite the bullet. And like it or not ports of Wii U games will be that trigger for a lot of consumers.

kkslider5552000

Inertiacreep wrote:

you sound stupid... 1 good game is not worth a $300 system for the majority of consumers and this year's announced lineup looks pathetic.

says the person who doesn't read my points

I've read statistics out there that suggest 90% of games are bought by 10% of people who play games and similar such statistics. At the end of the day, a lot of people play a very small selection of games. A huge portion of people just play Call of Duty and Madden every year for the most part. And a huge portion of the Wii's audience only played Wii Sports and a couple of the biggest Mario and/or casual games. So honestly, you could make a case that Switch's biggest problem for reaching a wide enough audience is not enough COD, Madden or Wii Sports rather than any quantity of games beyond that. But it's been able to get away from that probably mostly because it got a Mario Kart and Mario platformer (both of which already outsold BOTW, which makes no sense if you believe gamers who need the variety of games you're talking about are the majority in only year one of this thing) that everyone knew existed on a console that was well marketed and knew what it was doing. So a lot of the audience will play that...probably still playing it tbh. Because they don't spend 5 hours every day on their one console. They spend like...5 hours per weekend at most on it because that's how they play video games. Not enough time to get sick of either anytime soon. And certainly, these people don't care that much if these games were on a console they never owned, if they even know what Nintendo (or anyone's) upcoming games are, outside of maybe the top-tier mainstream level sequel. Now Labo was on a lot of places beyond hardcore gaming sites, so they might've seen that. But you could, if nothing else, say that Nintendo not already showcasing its biggest late 2018 title (whatever it is), is a mistake. You would have a point if you said that.

And now they'll have Labo, which if it blows up as it seems it might, will easily be more than enough to carry it to E3. Plus a Mario sports game, which will be more successful than a distressing amount of games. Maybe not fairly so, but 1 2 Switch sold really well at full price, life is not fair. Dreamcast got destroyed by the PS2 because PS2 had a DVD player instead of because of the good games PS2 would get. Life is not fair I guess. shrugs

I really don't see this particularly massive audience that doesn't own a Switch and really cares, if in the first 5 months of 2018, much of the major first party titles are ports. I'd like to see proof or something resembling proof that there's a notable audience whose interest in buying the Switch was ruined specifically by the early 2018 lineup beyond forum posts or Reddit or whatever. Sure there will be gamers on the internet, but people on the internet were supposed to make Snakes on a Plane a hit movie and that didn't work out either. And people on the internet told me in 2014 that Wii U was the best console with the hardcore games to play, didn't work out that way for sales of it. Please show me something that will actually prove that Switch is in trouble. Something credible. Because all you're bringing up is words you decided are factual, and I have the knowledge of the Switch having Wii levels of success with a more stable focus on hardcore gaming and its consistently unexpectedly great sales numbers for a large selection of its game library (even for games that are expected to sell incredibly well). And despite ports, there's very little I could see happening that would change where Switch is going right now.

(also a reminder that Wii's most successful period was that giant post-Mario Kart Wii drought and that Carnival Games sold like millions more copies than Muramasa or Little King's Story, AGAIN LIFE IS UNFAIR)

Inertiacreep

@faint i said announced line up, and I've said frequently i believe this year is going to be great by the time it's over and that i know there are big announcements, but i am strictly talking about the announced line up at this point.
@skywake yea i know a lot of people are going to be sold on existing content.. but those aren't the people I'm talking about. Tons of people still need a reason to buy the switch.. 1 year of content, despite having some great games, is still not a lot of content.. maybe BOTW is the only game some people are interested in so far.. i know for some of my co workers, there just isn't enough to convince them.. and at this point right now, there's practically nothing new announced this year that's going to convince some people.
@faint sales mean literally nothing to people hesitant to purchase due to lack of attractive content... like i don't understand that post.. like "look guys, switch sold 15 mil, it must be safe to buy now!"

Inertiacreep

skywake

@Inertiacreep
Everything you're saying is purely anecdotal and subjective. Completely unnecessary when we actually have some decent numbers available to us. You're saying that the decent sales mean nothing to the average consumer which is true. However you're looking at it backwards, sales don't get the average consumer excited but good sales do tell us that the average consumer is interested. The same deal with ports of Wii U games. You can argue if you want that consumers don't care but the sales say otherwise.

I'd also point out that across Nintendo's last four platforms the number of games sold per console is between 5 and 10. With the Wii being the highest at ~10 and the 3DS being the lowest at ~4. The Switch already has a library big enough to satisfy the average consumer. Additionally across those four platforms the top selling franchises have been Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros, Splatoon, Mario and Pokemon. The Switch has half of those already with one other already announced and a fair chance that one of the remaining two could be announced at E3.

No other Nintendo console I can think of has been in this good a position in terms of both sales and library this early on. And that's why I don't agree.

Edited on by skywake

kkslider5552000

OOh I have another one.

The trend of increasing sales beyond the first year for any successful console ever. So all trends point towards Switch selling even better for the next year. (AND EVEN BETTER AFTER THAT!)

MFD

@Fight_Teza_Fight But people will justify these games with portability, and they'll be bought anyway, that's just the jest of it. The Switch tax, multiplat games, ports, they're all justified under that one gigantic reason.

@electrolite77 Nintendo does a stellar job at making me feel like I've been a fool supporting Wii-U right now.

@skywake "The Switch is more or less getting all of the most compelling Wii U releases within its first year." No XCX, feelsbadman. "portable" It really is THAT important huh? You'd nearly begin to think things with a mindset like that.

@1UP_MARIO You own a Switch, and don't have enough time to play? Either you're REALLY busy, or you're not using the Switch correctly, since it's made for people like you, to allow them to use their spare time to play games.

As for the topic, my Switch is on and off on occasion. Dragon Quest Builders is coming up, which for some strange reason is not on PC, so I'll get it for Switch. Other than that, Octopath's on the list, and that's it. That's the advantage of having more than 1 platform: If Nintendo doesn't offer me compelling games to buy, there's sure to be a PC game I've missed due to financial reasons.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Inertiacreep

@skywake i agree with this and also agree the switch is in a great position.. but last year we had all these games to look forward to up till the end of the year and then it's like nothing.. so for all the people who aren't huge switch fans like us, it looks pretty dead this year and i don't agree with Nintendo's strategy for the beginning of the year.. after the huge holiday sales everybody waiting for the direct cuz we don't know what's next and all Nintendo has to show for the year is a Mario tennis game.
@kkslider5552000 that doesn't change the fact that this year looks lame until they announce something.

Inertiacreep

StuTwo

@Filth_Element don’t worry - Nintendogs Switch edition will eventually be released to fill the doggy shaped hole in your life.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Kova

Inertiacreep wrote:

@skywake i agree with this and also agree the switch is in a great position.. but last year we had all these games to look forward to up till the end of the year and then it's like nothing.. so for all the people who aren't huge switch fans like us, it looks pretty dead this year and i don't agree with Nintendo's strategy for the beginning of the year.. after the huge holiday sales everybody waiting for the direct cuz we don't know what's next and all Nintendo has to show for the year is a Mario tennis game.
@kkslider5552000 that doesn't change the fact that this year looks lame until they announce something.

THIS! This is really strange strategy. They really need to annouce some big games asap.

Kova

StuTwo

@MFD Everyone has different circumstances and plays games in different ways. Personally I can understand @1UP_MARIO - even with the flexibility offered by Switch I can’t play more than 15-20 hours a month. That’s the sum total of spare time I can eke out for video games at the moment.

Given that time the 5 Switch games I’ve got at the moment are big enough to last me months and months. If I do exhaust them completely I could always pick up XC2.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

skywake

@Inertiacreep
Well again, for people who aren't "huge Switch fans" these ports are new games. For someone who skipped the Wii U and got the Switch for Skyrim and Mario Kart this year already looks pretty good. Bayonetta 2, Donkey Kong TF and Dark Souls are all coming out before E3 in addition to Mario Tennis and Kirby. It may be easy for us to sit here in our little Nintendo bubble and say it's "just Mario Tennis" but that's clearly not the case.

I'd also add that the last year which you say was so fantastic wasn't much different. If you exclude all of the ports and the sequels which didn't add much? We didn't get a lot last year. Because excluding titles like that means you're excluding Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8, Fire Emblem Warriors, Skyrim, Doom, LA Noire, Pokken Tournament and arguably even Breath of the Wild.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.