Forums

Topic: Switch 2018 is going to be the Dust Collecter

Posts 41 to 60 of 239

Anti-Matter

@Inertiacreep
"When i said that, I'm aware people will buy ports.. there's a couple i even want myself... but fact of the matter is these are old games that didn't sell any systems when they came out. People buy new consoles to play bigger and better games, not games they didn't care enough to buy 5 years ago. "

So, WHAT if the games are Ports or Old ?
I DO Care with ports from other machines or from old machines because that's also a HUGE Opportunity to play those games on the go (Thanks to portability)

With Ports, Now i can play Portal Knights (ps4, pc, xbox1), Overcooked (pc, ps4, xbox1), Street Fighter Alpha 3 & Street Fighter III 3rd Strike on Street Fighter 30th Anniversary (from NES, SNES, PS1, PS2), LEGO CITY UNDERCOVER (Wii U), Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Wii U), etc.
Imagine if those ports didn't exist, there will be No interesting games to buy.
New games or Old games, who cares ?
As long i have Never played before, the Old games i considered as "New" games for me.

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Octane wrote:

@Anti-Matter There's a bit of irony in the fact that you're talking about changing people's mindsets, when you're own is probably the most restricted I've ever seen...

If you can't find them, look harder: Gravity Rush 1 and 2, Tearaway Unfolded, Ratchet & Clank, Knack 1 and 2, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian, Little Big Planet 3, Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy, Unravel, Journey, WipeOut Omega Collection, Everybody's Golf, etc. Plenty of choice.

Sorry.
Those games, even Kid friendly or Teen, are Not captivating me.
I have ever played Ratchet & Klank ps4, but i felt i couldn't engaged with Cartoon guns and Battles from the whole gameplay. So i sold it after 2 hours gameplay, replaced by FF X/X-2 HD for my Nostalgic.

Oh, btw...
These are my 9 PS4 games that qualified enough with my Norm :
1. Earthlock: Festival of Magic
2. Overcooked: Gourmet Edition
3. Portal Knights : Gold Throne Edition
4. Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles
5. Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 HD Remix
6. FF X/X-2 HD Remaster
7. World of Final Fantasy
8. FF XII The Zodiac Age
9. The Sims 4
10. ??? (Still waiting for the Tenth and the Finale)

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Inertiacreep

Anti-Matter wrote:

This is my point exactly

Inertiacreep

Anti-Matter

Inertiacreep wrote:

Anti-Matter wrote:

This is my point exactly

You should be granted to able play Ports from other machines. Say thank you to Ports.

Anti-Matter

1UP_MARIO

@Anti-Matter lol. You should take your own advice and change your NORM. Change your mindset before you try to or tell others to change theirs.

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

electrolite77

@Inertiacreep

"so what? nobody buys a new console just to be fed last gen crap"

Probably news to the people who've bought MK8D, GTA V, The Last of Us remastered, Halo MCC, the Crash Bandicoot Trilogy, Uncharted trilogy and so on. Gears of War Ultimate sold over a million in a few months on XB1. Twilight Princess HD sold over 2 million and Twilight Princess HD over a million on a system that only sold 14 million.

"People buy new consoles to play bigger and better games, not games they didn't care enough to buy 5 years ago."

You're just guessing why 'people' buy systems. The sales figures are there. People buy ports because either they're happy to double dip, they missed the game the first time round or they didn't have that particular system at the time.

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

Inertiacreep

@electrolite77 and how bad would the switch have bombed without BOTW, Odyssey and XBC2 last year?

Inertiacreep

LuckyLand

Fight_Teza_Fight wrote:

If Sony had planned to release PSVR 1 year into the PS4s lifecycle the PlayStation fandom would've collectively lost their mind- but Labo is fine, because Nintendo.

If Sony had planned to release PSVR 1 year into the PS4 lifecycle the Playstation fandom would've collectively lost their mind, maybe, but for utterly extatic excitement, having something so new and powerful and shiny on their beloved PS4, something that they love so much (Playstation, Xbox and Pc gamers are for the most part lovers of first person view games) that set their beloved console apart from the others? They would have been so full of themselves and excited about it. Come on I'm sure you know that yourself.

PS: I don't like Labo and I'm not interested in it, just like I was not interested in Wii Sport and Wii music and games like those. Wii Sport and Wii music were not a problem for me back then, why Labo should be a problem now? I will buy and play other things.

Edited on by LuckyLand

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

kkslider5552000

I dunno where anti-matter is taking or has taken this conversation so forgive me if I just sidestep that.

I consider what could be valid points against the Switch to be irrelevant because of the simple facts of where the Switch is and what it's doing. The facts are very simple:

I've seen way more interest and hype for Labo than most things in gaming. Most Nintendo things even. 11 million views for that initial video they put out. I looked at the views for Sony's new big trailer for God of War, 2 million (in admittedly half the time but I don't think it's getting close to 11 million any time soon...). Google trends showcased while God of War has a bit more consistent trending, Labo destroys so much for that initial reveal. And that's just some quick data, not even including my opinion or looking around the internet which also supports how great this will likely turn out.

Fact is that 3rd party have consistently found success in ways that even at my most optimistic I could never have dreamed of, with ok to very good sales from larger company ports and a lot of legit indie hits largely because of being on the Switch (or either getting a signicant audience for a port of a year plus game).

Fact is that Switch has a large variety of critically acclaimed games, both new and old-ish. Including, in case any of you haven't noticed, the first highly praised indie game of the year with Celeste (which I should've seen coming when it was from the Towerfall dev). In a lot of genres too.

Fact is that it's been made abundantly clear that judging Nintendo's lineup beyond the next 3-4 months is a clear mistake. I think everyone should know that or should notice the complete blatant lack of anything after May (GUESS WHAT EVENT HAPPENS AFTER MAY).

And beyond that, I don't see why people would have a problem with Switch's lineup. There are types of games missing or needing more quantity of on the Switch, but I can't imagine there are many Switch owners who play a lot of games that would so easily run out of games to play on the Switch. I'm truly failing to see how you would see the Switch as having a unique problem compared to console launches anywhere else.

Inertiacreep wrote:

XBC2 last year?

In no reality would Xenoblade Chronicles 2 being delayed past December affected Switch sales to any notable degree.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

electrolite77

@Fight_Teza_Fight

"They are easily satisfied/blindly faithful as is the case with the Switch's less than stellar 2018 line up."

I disagree. It's Nintendo fans on echo chambers like this site, who owned a Wii U, that are doing the most complaining about the ports.

The vast majority of people didn't buy a Wii U because of many issues-the concept and design, the Gamepad, the price, the lack of third-party support, the poor first year for first-party games etc.etc.

Those people see a 2018 lineup with Kirby, Donkey Kong Country, Bayonetta 2, a Zelda spin-off and Mario Tennis games that are all new to them. There's a difference between personal disappointment with what's been announced and 'the line up is objectively weak'.

Playstation ID - GJB77

electrolite77

@Inertiacreep

I'd guess it would have done worse. Same as it would have done without Mario Kart. Why?

Playstation ID - GJB77

kkslider5552000

also as a final thing I need to say

"The Switch is not currently giving me what I want in gaming" fair, but you should probably look into why
"The Switch is not going in a smart direction" based on everything, incredibly unlikely

I could've justified buying one already tbh, but I haven't so I'm cool just enjoying other consoles I have right now, getting caught up with games from last gen and even earlier. And then I'll get it later. And even when Wii U's support was embarrassing, I had some fun looking into what downloadable games were around. Never would've played some of them otherwise. So even when Nintendo had completely messed up, I had games to play. It was cool.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

JammyTWOsugars

Mario Tennis begs to differ. As for a 2D mario game. I'm almost certain Mario Maker will make it's way over and with the level of customisation that affords do you even NEED a new 2D Mario game?

Consoles: Nintendo Switch and New Nintendo 3ds

Octane

@JammyTWOsugars Yes we do. Mario Maker was pretty limited. The amount of objects and enemies were relatively small compared to the recent NSMB games. And even they had unique stuff you could never replicate in Mario Maker. I'm not even talking about slopes. Unique boss fights, or the rolling hills, and plenty of level specific enemies, objects, obstacles and backgrounds.

On top of that, I think the New Super Mario Bros. games themselves were relatively basic and safe. If they put the effort into a game like they did into a game like Tropical Freeze, or even the unique looking Woolly World, you wouldn't be able to replace that in Mario Maker. Even if they updated Mario Maker to include ten or twenty times the item count, you're still stuck with that and the player can't introduce their own unique enemies and/or pre-made obstacles.

And lastly, the level design in the user-made Mario Maker levels didn't come close in terms of quality to Nintendo's own games. And most of the levels were straight up rubbish, or auto-complete levels...

I still think there's a place for a regular 2D Mario game. It just needs some new ideas and a less generic art style.

Octane

Fight_Teza_Fight

@LuckyLand PSVR is awesome, but it had/has its critics, that are only just or never will come around to a new way to play. At the beginning of every cycle people are always clamoring for more games. This is the case with the Switch now. Any peripheral is going to demand resources (time, money, E3 presence,...), which will take resources away from other sectors i.e. Switch software development.
Labo is similar to PSVR in the sense that it is a peripheral, but it is also a platform of its own, that will need to be supported.
I have no problem with Labo. I recognise that it's not for me, but I'm baffled by the timing.
Gamers such as myself look at the release schedule & then see that Nintendo's immediate focus lies with a peripheral, less than 1 year into Switch's lifecycle.

@electrolite77 It is very much personal disappointment, which is why agreed with the OP & I recognise that I'm in a minority here. People are clearly satisfied with the ports, which is great for them. I just don't have any interest in them outside of Bayonetta 2.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Ralizah

I mean, if you buy any system and ignore most of the library because you can play the games on other platforms, then it is going to have a lacking library early on in its life-cycle. That was the case for me and the PS4: I bought it for exclusives that I can't play on PC (and now the Switch) a few years ago, but before 2017 or so there... just weren't very many of those that were interesting. So I went four or five months at a time without turning on my PS4. Is that because the PS4 had a bad library, or did it have more to do with me and my priorities as a gamer?

In general, I've found that if you're only buying a system to play a very narrow range of games, then it makes more sense to wait until it's a few years old and has time to develop a diverse library of exclusives. Switch had an amazing 2017, but no one company can keep up with high-quality new releases at that pace.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

toiletduck

JammyTWOsugars wrote:

As for a 2D mario game. I'm almost certain Mario Maker will make it's way over and with the level of customisation that affords do you even NEED a new 2D Mario game?

Yes, I want to play couch co-op (simultaneously, not taking turns). I'd love it though if a new or remastered Mario Maker would come with a NSMB kind of multiplayer mode!

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

skywake

noobish_hat wrote:

Generations aren't determined by time, they're determined by generation. 2014 is last gen for Wii U games because the Wii U was the generation before the Switch. It's last gen. Overwatch coming to the Switch is apples and oranges because it wasn't on a last gen system.

What a complete load of nonsense. The idea of a console generation is a made up thing but if it means anything it's a group of platforms of similar capabilities that exist alongside each other. Both the Wii U and Switch have/will exist on shelves alongside the PS4/XBOne for most of their life. They are also very close in terms of specs relative to each other. So it's kinda hard to argue that the Wii U/Switch/PS4/XBOne are not all "8th Generation" consoles. I don't consider Overwatch a "last gen" game when played on the XBOne X, equally I don't consider Mario Kart 8 Deluxe a "last gen" game when played on the Switch.

Inertiacreep wrote:

When i said that, I'm aware people will buy ports.. there's a couple i even want myself... but fact of the matter is these are old games that didn't sell any systems when they came out. People buy new consoles to play bigger and better games, not games they didn't care enough to buy 5 years ago. So if there's no new games who cares? You think all the people who didn't buy a wiiU are going to get excited when the Switch has nothing coming about except games they didn't buy the first time around?

Yes. Because people didn't skip the Wii U thinking the software on it was garbage. If people skipped the Wii U for one reason it was because it didn't have a clear message. Sure it lacked those killers apps early on but they did eventually come. The issue was that when they did come people saw it was very unpopular and lost confidence in it getting ongoing support.

The Switch is more or less getting all of the most compelling Wii U releases within its first year. It's also selling very well which increases people's confidence in it as a platform. Lastly the idea that you can play Skyrim on the bus is a unique and clear point of difference that people immediately understand. So yes, people will see the Switch has Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Country TF. They will say "oh, those are the games I skipped on the Wii U, now they're on the Switch which is actually portable and is a platform that developers are actually supporting. I might buy into this platform".

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

noobish_hat

@skywake
That only made sense while console lines got new iterations at roughly the same time, which Nintendo has thrown out of the window. The Wii U and the Switch have been current over the same period that just the PS4 has been current. If we're still calling that one generation, then the word "generation" has kind of become pointless hasn't it. It only really makes sense to talk about generations in terms of specific console lines (or maybe just separate Nintendo from the rest). If the Wii U games aren't last gen (because they're only from 2014 lol), is the Wii U last gen? If it isn't, is it current gen? This is becoming nonsensical.

noobish_hat

Pod

I'm glad I am able to enjoy indie games, and that I prefer to play them on my Nintendo system.

I won't run out of play time on my Switch any time soon, if at all. It's already at a state where I need to prioritize.

Pod

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.