Forums

Topic: Switch 2018 is going to be the Dust Collecter

Posts 221 to 239 of 239

TuVictus

I'm sure even if games were $200 each there would still be season passes and loot boxes.

TuVictus

Octane

@MarcelRguez Fair point. I see it as going from a $60 base game + $15 DLC ($75 for those who are counting ) to a $50 remaster, plus the extra stuff. I think that's a pretty good value for a remaster.

To answer to how much a game is worth is very personal. Whether Sony under prices its games or Nintendo over prices its game, or whatever other publishers do, I don't know. I do know that they are competing for my time and money. So if I had to pick between Tropical Freeze and Shadow of the Colossus for example, I'd pick the latter. I never played the PS3 remaster, so it's been a while, and I have still €20 left I can put towards an indie game or two. And whilst I absolutely love Tropical Freeze, I played that game very recently. That's how I always look at it. How much does it cost, what else can I get for the same price and how much do I want to play it right now?

Octane

chucknorris078

Octane wrote:

@MarcelRguez Fair point. I see it as going from a $60 base game + $15 DLC ($75 for those who are counting ) to a $50 remaster, plus the extra stuff. I think that's a pretty good value for a remaster.

To answer to how much a game is worth is very personal. Whether Sony under prices its games or Nintendo over prices its game, or whatever other publishers do, I don't know. I do know that they are competing for my time and money. So if I had to pick between Tropical Freeze and Shadow of the Colossus for example, I'd pick the latter. I never played the PS3 remaster, so it's been a while, and I have still €20 left I can put towards an indie game or two. And whilst I absolutely love Tropical Freeze, I played that game very recently. That's how I always look at it. How much does it cost, what else can I get for the same price and how much do I want to play it right now?

Agree!! I like my money to stretch. The remake of SOTC to me is worth $60 compared to the re-issue of Tropical Freeze. Sony/Bluepoint actually spent some time, money and TLC in that game... Nintendo slaps on an easy mode and does some reprogramming for portability.... Prices are ass backwards on this one.

Edited on by chucknorris078

chucknorris078

GrailUK

The only gripe I have with discussion about pricing is the view that owning multiple consoles and being able to cherry pick from every game released at any given time is normal as opposed to a luxury.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

MarcelRguez

@MisterPi How about "if we want the AAA model to be sustainable at all"? Sounds better?

@Octane Oh, absolutely, I'm right with you on that. If Nintendo thinks they can charge $60 for Tropical Freeze, it's their right, just like it's my right to go buy something else. Which doesn't mean I'm going to demand a lower price if I want to replay it, I already own the Wii U version.

@GrailUK I'm not sure how that affects the discussion though. If you only own one platform, you can't do anything but put up with the price of its games, right?

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

chucknorris078

GrailUK wrote:

The only gripe I have with discussion about pricing is the view that owning multiple consoles and being able to cherry pick from every game released at any given time is normal as opposed to a luxury.

But do you not have the ability to own multiple consoles? Everyone has the ability... I think it comes down to choice. BTW I'm married and have 3 kids with one in college just to give you and idea about my life situation.

chucknorris078

TuVictus

@MarcelRguez I'd argue it's on publishers to make their own model sustainable. If it's not, they should probably roll budgets back instead of nickle and diming consumers and saying "it's required" because they can't control their own budget.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

Fight_Teza_Fight

@MarcelRguez Wasn't directed at you mate. Kind of went off on a tangent there. It's an observation/opinion I've had for a few years now & it's frustrating.
I buy & play a lot of games. It's an expensive hobby of mine, but I can't justify being taken for a ride, especially when cheaper alternatives are available.

Anyways just to add a little positivity to the thread...
Going to make my first Switch purchase of the year in Owlboy & going to pick up a Pro controller in preparation of Bayonetta over the weekend.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

chucknorris078

MisterPi wrote:

@MarcelRguez I'd argue it's on publishers to make their own model sustainable. If it's not, they should probably roll budgets back instead of nickle and diming consumers and saying "it's required" because they can't control their own budget.

I like what you're throwing down... these publishers are a little greedy for their own good. I get tired of the woe is me about game companies... I'm all about full on support for Indie companies and the ones that actually struggle... Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Ubisoft, EA, etc.. can afford to be pro-consumer and shave a little off their profit and price their games correctly.

chucknorris078

MarcelRguez

@MisterPi I don't want to go too deeply on the morality of capitalism, but as far as I'm concerned the objective value the consumer should pay for any luxury products is whatever figure is necessary for the people who make them to make a decent living without putting their health on the line. This doesn't happen in the videogame industry, and there are methods by which one can help mitigate the issue. Fighting the race to the bottom of prices is one such method.

About the "just cut budgets" part, it's never that easy. Every AAA publisher is in direct competition with each other, it's an arms race. Which is the problem, really, they have to keep doubling down and inflating those budgets if they want to remain competitive.

Personally, I blame Square Enix for the whole thing.

@Fight_Teza_Fight Glad to hear that, and I do understand money's tight.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Octane

@MarcelRguez Yeah, I agree. Of course, it's their right. I'm not angry at them or anything like that. I just find it a bit peculiar that its price is higher than what it originally was on the Wii U, despite being a port of a four year old game. I have no issue with skipping it though. My Wii U is still hooked up to my TV, and I can play Tropical Freeze any time I want.

Octane

Grumblevolcano

My approach for ports/remasters is different for Switch than other platforms for 2 reasons.
1. Portability
2. I think it's fairly likely that if you get the Wii U ports there'll be a time in the Switch's lifespan where there's absolutely no reason to use the Wii U.

I really liked the Wii U but if I can get everything I bought on Wii U that I liked on Switch in some form (Splatoon 2 getting all or the vast majority of Splatoon Wii U's maps counts as Splatoon Wii U on Switch for example) that'll be even better.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

pika677

Mine so far is a $300 paperweight! Yay!

pika677

1UP_MARIO

Everything collects dust. Just give it a wipe every six months. Get a micro fibre cloth and start from left to right gently and watch the dust disappear. Cleaning101

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Anti-Matter

pika677 wrote:

Mine so far is a $300 paperweight! Yay!

Yay !
My PS4 Slim White is a $ 400 paperweight & catching MORE dust than your Switch !

Anti-Matter

dkxcalibur

@Anti-Matter Actually this is the case in our house too. My PS4 isn't played much currently. We watch Blu-rays on it though!!!

We purchased our PS4 basically to play The Last Guardian and FIFA; and to catch up on games we missed by not owning a PS3 (The Last of Us, Uncharted). But, I don't think the PS4 is bad and that there's no games on it either. Personally there are a ton of great games on the PS4 but every time one is released, I'm really into something else that happens to be on the Switch.

dkxcalibur

Switch Friend Code: SW-5151-3792-5816 | 3DS Friend Code: 5043-3314-9733 | My Nintendo: dkxcalibur | Nintendo Network ID: dkxcalibur

Anti-Matter

@dkxcalibur
You know what happen with PS4 lately ?
I have "Eliminate" another 3 PS4 games again once FF XII, FF X/X-2 & World of Final Fantasy Maxima has announced for Nintendo Switch.
I will sell those games once i got the Switch version.
Like a Dream comes true, so i saw my PS4 version of those games suddenly worthless.
Now, i just only have 3 PS4 games left :
1. The Sims 4
2. Portal Knights
3. Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5

And i feel regret to buy PS4 but i still need PS4 to play The Sims 4 on console version since i don't play PC games anymore.
Oh well.....

Anti-Matter

dkxcalibur

@Anti-Matter I still plan on picking up Spider-Man and The Witcher at some point. Also, Horizon Zero Dawn looks great. I also, keep telling my kids they need to play Shadow of the Colossus.

I was basically the same way for Monster Hunter. I don't have anything against Monster Hunter on PS4 but the portability of the Switch makes the series better on the Switch IMO.

dkxcalibur

Switch Friend Code: SW-5151-3792-5816 | 3DS Friend Code: 5043-3314-9733 | My Nintendo: dkxcalibur | Nintendo Network ID: dkxcalibur

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.