Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Posts 981 to 1,000 of 1,659

link3710

@Snaplocket Ryu has a very unique moveset, he doesn't handle at all like anyone else in the game. I am still awful at him but... yeah, he's not what I'd call derivative. And as one of the most famous characters of all time, and one with a strong albeit inconsistent history of ties to Nintendo (How many street fighters have made it to Nintendo systems? I know the number is huge), he's easily one of the most sensible third party additions. I remember Street Fighter and Nintendo being nigh-synonymous back when I was young. Now Cloud... yeah... couldn't we have had Sora? Or Chrono? Or Neku? All three of them would be far better representatives for Squeenix than Cloud.

link3710

DarkRula

Kirby as a main. Always Kirby.
Though I take Link as a second and dabble with the likes of Duck Hunt Duo, Marth, and a few others. I'll definitely be giving everyone a tryout to see if I can actually get a definitive list. And after seeing the plays from the Invitational with Sonic, it makes my attempts to use him look even worse than they did before.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

DarthNocturnal

As much as it trips me up in his home series, incorporating dial-a-combo into his moves was genius. Plus the weak/ heavy mechanic.

@link3710

Sora isn't much better then Cloud where his presence on Nintendo is concerned. Multiplat or no, KH is like FF7; it just feels very “Sony“. Kinda like how N64 Rare games still feel “Nintendo“, despite now being associated with Microsoft/ XBOX nowadays.

I do like Cloud's inclusion though. But then, I'd be the wacko who would actually be laughing hysterically (both in joy and at the chaos that would ensue) if someone like Master Chief got in.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Harmonie

@DarthNocturnal I would say that it would feel off to have Sora, but it's far less off to have Sora than Cloud. Sora has been featured in three Kingdom Hearts titles on Nintendo systems: Chain of Memories, RE:Coded, and Dream Drop Distance.

Cloud... Cloud has been relegated to just being a summon in Chain of Memories and maybe a character in those Theatrhythm games.

Cloud has absolutely nothing to do with Nintendo. Cloud is a huge symbol of Final Fantasy after it left Nintendo systems.

Granted, with Kingdom Hearts III coming to the Xbox One but not a Nintendo system, I can't help but feel like Sora would feel like a slap to the face as well, even though he clearly has a lot more prominent appearances on Nintendo systems than Cloud.

Harmonie

Therad

Yosheel wrote:

either that or you unlock one character every 10 matches

They have already confirmed they are unlocked with smash boxes. You get some star coins every match you play, with a bonus if you have the online sub. You can also buy a 5-pack smash boxes for 19.99. Just kidding. I hope...

Therad

meleebrawler

@Harmonie Sonic's entire purpose of creation was to beat Nintendo, yet nobody complains about him. Because people were more excited about being able to see him and Mario fight for real instead of how non-Nintendo Sonic was.

Cloud represents Final Fantasy, period. He wasn't created to be some middle finger to Nintendo, and his immense popularity frankly transcends whoever he happens to technically belong to.

Anyway, first characters I'm gonna try are returning Melee clones Young Link and Pichu (he seems to be a punchier Pika, who I've never really appreciated for that reason) for the nostalgia, then Ridley. It looks like they've really captured the essence of his 2D boss fights, being super aggressive and hard to avoid but also pretty vulnerable to damage (with a nice nod to Prime in his mouth vulnerability on his fire breath). Pokemon Trainer also looks pretty lit with the improved switching mechanics.

Top 10 not including newcomers for me will likely be:

1. Mewtwo
2. Ryu
3. Mega Man
4. Bowser Jr.
5. Mario
6. Ganondorf
7. Samus
8. Mr. Game & Watch
9. Shulk
10. Zelda

Based on Wii U experience, anyway.

Edited on by meleebrawler

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

PikPi

@Therad With Reggie trying to prime us with the whole "loot boxes aren't bad" speech yesterday, I have a feeling we might be seeing some microtransactions in their full games now, so your scenario would not surprise me

PikPi

Yorumi

@meleebrawler I think a big reason with sonic is that since the dreamcast failed sega, sonic included has been a pretty big part of nintendo. GC got several sonic games, GBA has a bunch too, and from there he's been a pretty big part of nintendo. For almost 2 decades sonic has been all over nintendo devices. For characters like Cloud and Bayonetta they are much less a part of nintendo. Cloud has at best been a cameo in games, and Bayonetta had one port and a sequel and suddenly she's in smash.

Really of all the third part characters in smash to me the only ones I feel truly fit are Sonic and Megaman(if I missed someone else it's just forgetfulness since I don't have the full roster in front of me).

Yorumi

Nintendo Network ID: yorumi

PikPi

Well to be fair Bayonetta was cuz of the fan-choice contest thingy. If she hadn't been in 4 as a result of that, though, I think she would have been a good candidate for being a brand new fighter for Ultimate, since the third game is set to release eventually

PikPi

toiletduck

Snaplocket wrote:

There's no getting around it, Cloud was only put in to attract FF fans.

You formulate this as if it's a bad thing. Why exactly?

toiletduck

EvilLucario

Also Bayonetta has more or less become a Nintendo character at this point with the whole exclusivity with Bayonetta 2 and 3, plus all the Nintendo content in Bayonetta 1 + 2.

Time will tell if the exclusivity will extend all the way to a Bayonetta 4, though. Bayonetta is a fantastic character, though (not in Smash, I'm aware, I mean in her own games), so I really like her getting into Smash.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Harmonie

@meleebrawler You make a fair point in regards to Cloud being iconic and that a lot of people will overlook the fact that he has nothing to do with Nintendo because of that. However, I still think it is hard to ignore that there is a large difference between Sonic and Cloud. It's true that Sonic was originally created by a rival company to rival Mario. However, by the Wii era when Sonic was introduced to the SSB franchise, Sega had been out of the console business for over a generation and Sonic games had been making regular appearances on Nintendo consoles. The rivalry was now something more in the past that both companies could have fun with.

Nothing of the sort has happened with Cloud. A lot of fans may love having him in SSB, but... He feels like something that should have never happened. But it is what is now. Nothing we can do.

@MisterPi I'm so unhappy that Reggie actually said that crap. Lootboxes are a nightmare and they need to be eliminated from gaming ASAP or gaming will be ruined. For real.

Harmonie

link3710

@Harmonie Sora's debuted more games on Nintendo systems as he has Sony. Chain of Memories, 358/2 Days, Dream Drop Distance and Re:Coded all were Nintendo first, as opposed to Sony's KH1, KH2, and Birth by Sleep. KH3 soon will equalize that, but still. That said, my point was more that he was more at home on Nintendo than Cloud, not that he was a perfect fit.

link3710

meleebrawler

@Harmonie I mean, lootboxes have technically been a thing for longer than we realize. Pretty much any RPG where enemies have random chances of dropping certain items could be considered lootboxes, heck the Mother series has them come in actual present boxes. Monster Hunters make a living out of cutting these open in the hopes of getting the gem they need for their gear.

They only started getting noticed negatively when devs started putting them in games that don't necessarily benefit from them AND started charging for them.

tl;dr: Loot boxes in of themselves aren't necessarily bad, just the practice of nickel & diming customers with them and to a lesser extent, using them without considering how they affect the game.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Harmonie

@meleebrawler I mean, we (and more importantly Reggie) are clearly talking about the kind of loot boxes that are paid. So I'm not sure what kind of point you're trying to make.

Harmonie

NoUsernameHere

I honestly don't mind Loot Boxes as long as the items in them are purely cosmetic. Like in Overwatch, for example. There are Loot Boxes, but all the items you could unlock are just cosmetics for each of the heroes. I think that's fine, because at least you know what you're getting and there's no gameplay related advantage you could gain from buying Loot Boxes since it's all cosmetic. You're not gonna magically improve at Widowmaker by opening one Loot Box.

What I don't like is when companies sneak in items that affect gameplay into their Loot Boxes. As in, I don't like it when it becomes Pay 2 Win. That said, I understand why people hate Loot Boxes. Because a majority of companies like to use Loot Boxes to make their games Pay 2 Win.

Backloggery
Steam profile
Avatar: Midnight (My Hero Academia)
Overwatch/TF2/CS:GO player. Future Smash Ultimate player.

3DS Friend Code: 0447-7094-2346 | Nintendo Network ID: DeviousCrossing | Twitter:

Aurumonado

I wonder why he's called "Pokemon Trainer" and not "Red".

"The key to achieving this goal is found in our three core values – originality, flexibility and sincerity – which we define as Nintendo DNA." - Iwata Satoru, 2015

Switch Friend Code: SW-7763-4930-1410 | Nintendo Network ID: Aurumonado

Yosheel

Because Red is just one of many names he can have.

The only constant they can use to describe him is his occupation.

Kinda like how Villager is Villager instead of Yu... Or Ai... Or Thomas. Or Susy. Or Renato. Or John. Or Marina. Or

Edited on by Yosheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic