Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Posts 961 to 980 of 4,508

link3710

@Kinoen Well, that's one of my favorite stages so I'll be seeing her a lot at least. But as for when she was last in a game? Two years ago with Mario Sports Mix, Paper Mario Color Splash, Mario & Sonic 2016, and was available in Minecraft too I believe? I think last year was barren for her though...

link3710

Kinoen

@Knuckles-Fajita
@link3710
Mario and Luigi Super Star Saga is old, they re-mastered it with Bowsers Minions, but the game is not new.
Mario Sports Superstars is a collage of old sports game packed into one.
I'll give in to Mario and Sonic and Paper Mario...even if she was only in Paper Mario for a total of 2 minutes and 19 seconds.

@ReaderRagfish
Fair point, but doesn't Mario already have all the important characters playable in Smash already? I would say Birdo should be next, because of being one of the oldest characters, coupled together with having a personality and overall having a point to be in a game. That last point was a jab at Toads, since Toads only ever let Peach be captured >:l

Kinoen

link3710

@Kinoen I didn't even mention Superstar Saga cause it was a remake.

link3710

Kinoen

@link3710
Sorry, was directed at the other person, I just lumped you in cause you mentioned other games that were mentioned.

@Yosheel
Ok, fair enough, though its a one time appearance like Paper Mario and for just as short a time, maybe even shorter.

@ReaderRagfish
Isn't everyone in Smash from Mario right now an A-lister? I would also argue that totem pole, unless its a "popularity" pole. Birdo was in a Mario game before Waluigi and it was a main series game, unlike Waluigi where it was a spin-off. As for Toad, Birdo has more personality than Toad and does more in the games she appears in, despite the little she is in. To my knowledge, Toads don't do anything note-worthy to stand out as anything more than a background character. I'd place Toad under Waluigi.

Right? I want to know why to!
I agree and am also included in not picking her. I would say this is because games were primarily a "boy" thing back in the day. If you check out commercials from back then, it was clearly aiming towards a male demographic and what boy would want to play a pink, girly, bow wearing female character over a "manly" character like Bowser or just guy characters?
Games are now advertised towards everyone and peoples perspectives have changed, take me for example since I admitted to not picking Birdo back in the day, yet here I am advocating her to be in Smash and want to see here in more games in general.

Kinoen

SKTTR

I love how the graphics, especially the character designs and animations are far superior compared to Smash 4. I thought they were going to reuse assets but this is completely new and beautiful.

The other big thing I approve are the streamlined Ultra Smashes. They're short and fast now for all characters - time to switch that Ultra Smash Ball item back on.

My mains are Ness, Shiek, Zero-Suit Samus, Lucas, Charizard, Greninja, and Villager.

I wanna play Ridley and can't wait to try Pichu again so my friends have a slight chance of beating me once in a while. Olimar and Mega Man were my handicap characters after Pichu left the game, but they're not nearly as fun to play with.

I never bought Smash4 DLC (still think it's overpriced) so I'm excited trying Bayonetta and Ryu for the first time. As for new fighters, Impa, Urbosa, and Rex&Pyra/Mythra are on my wishlist. Unfortunately Krystal seems unlikely with her confirmed assist trophy. What about the Sin&Punishment characters?

Aaaand... is Mr. Saturn really becoming a fighter??

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Eel

I can see the reveal trailer...

The camera pans up revealing Waluigi.

But he's still just an assist trophy.

Then Mr Saturn knocks it out of the stage.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Kinoen

@ReaderRagfish
Ahh, makes sense.

True...sadly true.

I didn't play/don't remember Galaxy, did that crew do anything? Him being refs in games makes sense, since they are the common folk of the Mushroom Kingdom with Mario, the main star behind all the games, being a resident at. Common npcs in games because they are so very common. The line that builds rage within people, very iconic. That he is. That's what I, exclusively, know him for :l

Dang it all, I swear there's a video somewhere explaining that even though Mario games were a bit of an exception, Nintendo still had to choose to go with an advertisement that catered to boys or girls, and them going with boys e.e. Regardless! I could see that happening, Yoshi is awesome, Toad is "cute" and Princesses are Princesses Birdo walked that fine line between "boy's" and "girls", because it was pink and girly, I took it as a "girly" character. I can assume girls looked at Birdo and just saw the giant hole for a mouth and was turned off by that. Or because Birdo isn't a human female, yet acting like one and people tend to play something they can relate to. Being a human Princess for example.

I still say Nintendo should be giving Birdo another chance and Smash would be the biggest bash to begin bringing back Birdo, bub (wanted another "b" word in there).

Kinoen

Grumblevolcano

The spinoffs situation is weird, like if you think about it sure characters like Waluigi and Daisy are present however more present main characters to the franchise end up being missing like Diddy Kong and Bowser Jr. (the latter less so recently but still his omission in games like MK7 and the Wii U version of MK8 were really questionable).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Eel

It's easy, Waluigi and Daisy, although perceived as second rate characters, have a history of being playable in spinoffs.

So it makes sense to have them in most spinoffs. Since it's almost like tradition at this point. More people have partied as Waluigi than as Diddy.

Diddy Kong and Bowser Jr, while popular characters on their own right, don't really have consistent spinoff presence.

About Jr missing from the original mario kart 8 while everyone and their tanuki appeared, yeah I have no idea sometimes they do that.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Grumblevolcano

@Yosheel But they have consistent main game presence, like Bowser Jr. has appeared in every mainline Mario game since Sunshine except Odyssey and maybe 3D Land/3D World (I don't remember).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Eel

Mainline games influence spinoffs. But they don't really dictate what characters will be spinoff mainstays.

Anyway, Jr and Diddy are slowly getting more and more spinoff playable appearances.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Haruki_NLI

Donkey Kong Jr has been playable for decades. Heck he's even in Mario + Rabbids!

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Kinoen

@ReaderRagfish
...MK8 and Deluxe stung the most, with not having Birdo, but that Peach...and Metal, Gold, Baby, and Tanooki Mario.

@Yosheel
Everyone who isn't Birdo seems to be getting more playable appearances in games...

Kinoen

Grumblevolcano

Isabelle, Villager, Link and Inkling should've been replaced by Birdo, Petey Piranha, Diddy Kong and E. Gadd.

Introducing characters from outside the Mario universe is fine but shouldn't replace important Mario characters.

Grumblevolcano

EvilLucario

Clearly, we need Super Smash Kart.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

Just wait for the big debate about whether Ridley is too big to drive a vehicle.

Grumblevolcano

Eel

Well I assume a future Mario Kart would include a newer version of Link.

8 has Skyward Sword Link, who is kinda infamous for his dorky face.

Bloop.

Kinoen

@Grumblevolcano
I was disagree. I'm fine with those characters, it's all the variations of Mario and the 2 of Peach I have quarrels with...and all the baby forms and Koopalings.

@Snaplocket
To be fair, those two characters are pretty big in comparison to someone like Waluigi, who was only made to be a partner for Wario in Tennis.
Disregarding that, what about Birdo?

@DarthNocturnal
I was thinking the same thing, about not including Waluigi, because of all the people harassing Sakurai about it.

Kinoen

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic