Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Posts 481 to 500 of 4,508

Haru17

They could just redesign Ridley to bring the wings, neck, and tail in if they really wanted to. Ridley kinda needs a redesign anyway. It's not like Bowser hasn't changed sized wildly in hundreds of Nintendo games.

Also, how the hell did Metroid wind up with a better known dragon boss than Zelda?

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Grumblevolcano

Unsurprisingly there's a Smash tournament at E3.

The really interesting thing is the date the tournament is on. Nintendo has done their main E3 event on Tuesdays for a long time now yet the Smash tournament is before that event on the Monday.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

TuVictus

How weird it'll be if that's the first time we see any gameplay from the Switch version. Also very very exciting, I hope they keep everything under wraps and let us experience it all first hand, unscripted, via the tournament itself

TuVictus

Budda

Just get the big game out of the way before showing the rest of their games. We all remember what distraction Metroid Prime 4 was and nobody really remembered Yoshi after this.

Laugh Hard, Run Fast, Be Kind

TuVictus

@DiscoGentleman Honestly, it's a win win situation. Either we get a port with everything in it for Switch, which is what we were all expecting, anyway, or we get a brand new game (at least in name) with a remixed roster. You're entirely correct that people that do get upset this year will only have themselves to blame. Cuz it seems before the direct, everyone seemed completely happy with the idea of it just being a port.

TuVictus

Octane

@Grumblevolcano If they're willing to 'reveal' their biggest game through an event, I doubt it's a completely new game like many were expecting. I expect it'll look the same and that it'll have roughly the same character roster. It will be a different game in the same way that the 3DS and Wii U games are different I think.

Octane

Harmonie

@DiscoGentleman No, we'll have reason to be upset if it turns out that it is just a port. The way they revealed Super Smash Bros in the Direct was NOT how a port is ever revealed.

You're taking the position here that is a-okay for Nintendo to intentionally avoid doing anything that would reveal this as a port instead of a new game, and then turning around and saying that when some people took that it would be a new game, it is ON THEM and all of that other nonsense you pointed at. No, just no. This is on Nintendo. There is absolutely NO reason for them to have been vague about this UNLESS they were intentionally trying to deceive us.

With the way it was revealed, logic actually goes that it will be a new game instead of a port. People will have reason to be upset if that turns out to not be the case.

If it was to be a port, they should have easily been able to show footage and a title. But say they didn't want to do that yet for some reason (I wouldn't really understand this, if it's just a port, there's nothing to hide. Seriously), then they could have at least given us the signifiers that it was ultimately going to be be a port by doing things such as opening the trailer with the cross animation they did from the very beginning reveal of the original SSB4. If they didn't want to do that (which they did it before the Villager reveal which was out of the middle of nowhere, and that logo animation was the only reason we had to believe that it was Smash and not something AC related), then these are the bare minimum things they would have done: The logo would have taken the exact same shape as the one from Super Smash Bros 4, with the flames over the Smash symbol which replaced the O, and lastly they would have, at the very least, credited Bandai Namco in the credits, because if the game is even a reworking of the base of SSB4, then the base has still been developed in part by Bandai Namco and they have to be credited. When the original SSB4 trailer was out we did not know this yet, but with a port there is absolutely no reason not to show this, UNLESS Nintendo is being intentionally vague and wanting to deceive us... Meaning this is on them, and not those of us who are seeing the reveal pointing toward a new game.

@subpopz No, people are just assuming. In actuality, we do not know either way. All we have to point one way or the other is that tweet where Sakurai said he was been working tirelessly on the title in secret, which is still very vague.

@MisterPi It "seems"? But just go back in my posts, I have always been asking for a new Super Smash Bros. This is not new, it's not something that I changed to because the Direct did not reveal it as a port - I have been asking for a new Super Smash Bros. for the Switch since day one, and became even more adamant about it once people started arguing that if a SSB4 port came that a new Smash wouldn't.

So no, it's non a win-win situation, and I was clear about that long before the Direct. Just because the port-advocates always seemed to drown us out doesn't mean our opinions weren't always present and don't matter.

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

Grumblevolcano

@Octane Yeah, that's what came to mind. The Smash Switch tournament being before the main E3 event suggests the game is likely more like an enhanced port. Unless I'm reading the tweet wrong and the Splatoon 2 tournament ends up being on the Monday?

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Haruki_NLI

They could also be getting it out of the way as a gameplay showcase and then give a date and details in the event.

Or their event could be on Monday.

Or we could just be damn well happy we are getting ANY Smash game so soon?

I like the last option.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Octane

@Grumblevolcano Maybe they'll do it right after the E3 event. Splatoon on the day before and Smash after the Direct. But the Tweet doesn't specify that.

Either way, anyone who expects more than a Smash Wii U Plus Edition will be certainly disappointed. If I had to guess what the game is, I say it's an enhanced port. The Wii U game with a few new characters and stages. Maybe a new UI, but the game will look and play mostly the same. The real question is whether all of the DLC character will be included or not.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@Octane I maintain that a Splatoon 2 situation is the only option they have after Smash 4. Where do we go in specs? It was already 1080p 60fps.

They cant change the gameplay or physics too much after hittibg a sweet spot.

So it falls into the inevitae series of softer sequels to keep the base happy that every competotive focused game falls into.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

TuVictus

@YummyHappyPills Last option is where I'm at. So we get a port with all the DLC and possibly even all the 3DS content? That'd be amazing! Or it's a whole new game with other characters and its own features, which is also amazing.

TuVictus

Therad

@Harmonie no, you have no reason to be upset if it is a port. Possibly ferling disappointed, but not upset. Any expectations on the game are solely on you since Nintendo hasn't given us any info.

It is quite simple really. Wait until reveal and see if it is for you. If it is not for you, don't buy it. But moaning won't solve anything.

It is like if I would be angry and upset that they released that garbage game dkc:tf instead of a new dkc.

Therad

Octane

@YummyHappyPills Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a better comparison IMO. Splatoon 2 brought a whole lot of new stuff to the table.

Actually, that's what I'd prefer. And again, I'm sure people don't agree with me, but I'd like them to ditch a bunch of content. Cut the roster back to around 30 characters, cut the fluff, and add 10-15 brand new characters. That way they can build on their existing game, saving a lot of development time, but they can also focus on some new stuff to make the game feel fresh. Give us Captain Toad, Rex, ARMS characters, Snip & Clip, maybe the four champions from BOTW, Bomberman, a new Labo stage, Mario Odyssey stages, etc.

I'm seriously worried Sakurai and the other developers if the character roster grows any bigger lol.

Octane

Scrummer

@Octane But if they do all that, why not just call it a new game rather than an enhanced port?

Scrummer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7938-1793-3581 | My Nintendo: Scrummer

Budda

By the way. The recenly released E3 tornament trailer says
"Game footage from Super Smash Bros. for Wii U"
So what does Nintendo want to tell us with that?

Edited on by Budda

Laugh Hard, Run Fast, Be Kind

Haru17

It's very likely that Nintendo are just moving their event to the weekend to get out in front of the headlines like Bethesda, Microsoft, and EA have done.

But more to the point, if it is Smash 4, Nintendo was being coy to inflate hype that will then be disappointed by what they actually have. If it's Smash 5, they should have just said so. In the later case there is next to no reason for them to neglect to say it's a new game, whereas in the former they might see some short term benefit.

This being Nintendo, it could just be a new game and they didn't say so for some dumb reason like not having chosen a name yet. And really, the 'working title' crap is getting entirely old. If you don't even have a subtitle, you don't know what your game is and shouldn't be announcing yet. It's not even that hard to pick good names. Yoshi: Wool of Vengeance, Metroid: Last Light, Smash: Colosseum. Done, no focus groups, no nothing.

And people should stop pretending it's too soon for a Smash Bros. to come out. They weren't working on 4WiiU43DS for 6 and a half years straight (the time between 4 and Brawl), it doesn't take that long to make a multiplayer-only game.

The dynamic that should be considered, however, is how selling a super late port of Smash 4 will hurt the sales of the eventual Smash 5. There's a reason Zelda games, Elder Scrolls games, Grand Theft Auto games, etc sell so well: they wait to release until people are hungry for them. That gives them plenty of time to build out the games above their peers which feeds back into their hype in turn.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Grumblevolcano

@Scrummer It would be a new game if there's roster cuts. Enhanced port would be the Wii U content, maybe the 3DS content too and add in some extra stuff (e.g. new characters, new stages, new music, new modes).

And that's why I want it to be an enhanced port, no roster cuts. I don't want Ike to be cut because Nintendo won't release his games as VC, I don't want Captain Falcon to be cut because the F-Zero franchise has been irrelevant for 14 years, etc.

Grumblevolcano

Scrummer

@Grumblevolcano Captain Falcon's been there from the beginning, so you wouldn't have to worry about him being cut, and Ike is one of the more prominent Fire Emblem characters, so again, no worries there. I do hope they cut some characters like Dr. Mario and Dark Pit, as well as maybe one or two of the Fire Emblem characters, and some of the DLC characters.

Scrummer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7938-1793-3581 | My Nintendo: Scrummer

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic