Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Posts 401 to 420 of 1,188

Azooooz

I know my last comment was harsh, I apologize. If you want to continue discussing about the game, then it's fine, but remember if your expectation isn't met, don't blame it on others or developers because it'll be your own fault.

Edited on by Azooooz

"Knowing your enemy is the key to victory" Snake - Super Smash Bros. Brawl

"Knowing your stomach is the key to end hunger" Azooooz - Nintendo Life

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

DarthNocturnal

Y'know, given that Sakurai was good friends with Iwata... Balloon Fighter as playable, maybe? They could get some other attacks for him from other NES games he helped program.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

link3710

Balloon Fighter as the retro rep would not surprised me in the least, it's easily the most well known of those one shot titles to not have a rep. That said, he was under consideration for Smash 4, and not chosen due to a lack of ideas for a moveset. Who knows if he'll be revisited this time?

link3710

Snaplocket

@YummyHappyPills There definitely shouldn't be another Bayonetta character. NO third-party franchise should have more then one character. It would be total **************.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

IceClimbers

Samus's design is the Samus Returns design rather than the Other M design.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Knuckles-Fajita

@Snaplocket Care to explain that opinion?

The notion that no one third party franchise should have more than one character is a bit flawed given a third party company has more than one character in Smash 4 with both Ryu and Megaman, as well as technically Sonic and Bayonetta.

But then we come to the caveat - Hideki Kamiya has confirmed that while Bayonetta 1 is owned entirely by SEGA, and Bayonetta 2 is joint ownership under SEGA and Nintendo, Bayonetta 3 is wholly owned by Nintendo.

The franchise is pretty much Nintendo's at this point, its not exactly theirs, still under license from SEGA, but that license is leaning so far to one side it may as well just be theirs.

But again, Im not saying this is what I want, its simply what I expect. Dont get so angry about it, alright?

and the ARMS - NL Inklings: Spring Into The Ring Tournament (July 21st)!

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

link3710

@YummyHappyPills Actually, I'm curious about that. On the Smash 4 website, Bayonetta is listed as copyright both Nintendo and Sega, while in any case before Bayonetta 2's release (like in the cameos in Wonderful 101) Bayonetta was solely listed as (c) Sega. Is the IP now partially owned by Nintendo? I haven't gotten to the credits in the Bayo 1 port to check if they've changed yet...
http://www.smashbros.com/wiiu-3ds/en-uk/dlc/index.html

EDIT: I mostly ask because if so, that would make Bayonetta as much of a Nintendo property as Pokemon, given they both involved shared rights, and therefore, not a 3rd party character.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

DarthNocturnal

@link3710

Anything is possible. Villager and Miis were considered for Brawl, but dropped because Sakurai felt they weren't suited for combat. Then Smash 4 came, and we got both.

He was a/ the programmer on Pinball, Golf, F-1 Race, Balloon Fight, and Mach Rider (whose theme has appeared in Smash before). And a few other NES games which appear to be sequels. I dunno, I think they could “weaponize“ Balloon Fighter.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Snaplocket

@YummyHappyPills Same company is not the same thing as same series. Sonic and Bayonetta might be owned by the same company but the two franchises couldn't be farther apart in tone, gameplay, and..... okay maybe not story, but you get the idea. Same thing applies to Megaman and Ryu. Third-parties work best in small does, throwing in more third-party characters from a single franchise would come off as very questionable in my eyes. If there must be third-parties they should come from other franchises. Rodin is literally one of the worst possible choices for a new fighter, he adds nothing and clashes with the franchise's tone (even moreso then Bayonetta herself, Cloud, and Ryu).

Edited on by Snaplocket

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

Yosheel

Villager is kind of a stand in for Balloon Fighter already.

Edited on by Yosheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Octane

@link3710 SEGA owns the franchise, and they owns Bayonetta 1. SEGA and Nintendo both own Bayonetta 2 (and 3). It's Nintendo's money and SEGA's IP. Nintendo can't make a new Bayonetta game without SEGA's consent. In turn, they cannot release Bayonetta 2 on another platform without Nintendo's consent. That's basically how it works.

Octane

link3710

@Octane Yeah, that's how I understand it... but why in the world does Bayonetta have (c) Nintendo in Smash then? Cloud only has (c) Square Enix, Ryu (c) Capcom, but Bayonetta has a double copywrite mark the same way Pokemon characters do (check Mewtwo for an example). Clearly they must have some sort of IP ownership to do that. Maybe they use assets from Bayonetta 2? After all, the character itself is supposed to be fully owned by Sega...

link3710

Octane

@link3710 Bayonetta's appearance in 2 is different to that of her appearance in the first game. So I imagine that Nintendo also (partly) owns her design from the second game.

Octane

EvilLucario

Well, the Bayonetta 1 design is also in the game, so idk...

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Yosheel

Alongside the Bayonetta 2 design.

Yeah I don’t know either.

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Knuckles-Fajita

As explained by Kamiya, Nintendo owns parts of Bayonetta 2, and owns all of Bayonetta 3. Hence the logos.

Grumblevolcano

I don't think the Smash tease in Bayonetta 2 Switch would've happened if Rodin wasn't going to be in Smash Switch in some form. Could be a stage where he's a hazard (e.g. Yellow Devil, Ridley, Metal Face), could be an assist trophy or could be a playable character.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

IceClimbers

Nintendo also owns some content that was added in the Wii U port of Bayonetta 1. I think it was some Japanese voice over or something like that. They had to get Nintendo's consent to use it in the PC port of Bayonetta 1.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Knuckles-Fajita

Looking into this, Nintendo seems to co-own the IP with SEGA:

PG_Kamiya wrote:

When we started making Bayonetta 2, we initially received funds from Sega to develop the game for multiple platforms, but the project was halted due to circumstances at Sega. Nintendo then stepped in to continue funding the game, allowing us to finish it.

As such, the rights belong to Sega and Nintendo. The rights owners decided the game should be made for Wii U. Nintendo was also kind enough to fund a port of Bayo 1 for Wii U, and they even allowed us to use the Japanese voice track we created for the Wii U version in the PC version of Bayo 1 as well.

I am extremely thankful to Nintendo for funding the game, and to Sega for allowing them to use the Bayonetta IP. As for Bayonetta 3, it was decided from the start that the game was going to be developed using Nintendo's funding. Without their help, we would not have been able to kick off this project

All of the rights still belong to Sega and Nintendo. The rights owners decided that the game should be made for Switch.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic