Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Posts 3,881 to 3,884 of 3,884

DarkSim01

I was thinking about roster reduction yesterday, under the idea that for the next game, they would sort of "reboot" the franchise (a phrase I use loosely here).

Remove a number of characters, mostly echoes, repetitive and semi-clone fighters and a lot of third party. Keep main characters, unique characters and a few key third party characters that have a good foundation in Nintendo history (that I'm sure their companies wouldn't mind keeping in the game).

Fighters I pegged for removal:
Echo, repetitive and semi-clones fighters:
Dark Samus, Daisy, Lucina, Chrom, Dark Pit, Ken, Richter
Dr. Mario, Pichu, Falco, Lucas, Wolf, Villager
Sheik, Young Link, Toon Link, Roy, Ike, Zero Suit Samus

Pokemon (to make room for new Pokemon):
Jigglypuff, Mewtwo
Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard
Lucario, Greninja, Incineroar

Third Party:
Snake, Bayonetta, Joker, Cloud

Other to remove and replace:
Ice Climbers (replace with another classic rep, Takamaru)
Shulk (replace with Rex & Pyra)
Little Mac (replace with Spring Man)
King Dedede, Olimar, R.O.B., Wii Fit Trainer, Mii Fighters
Palutena, Robin, Corrin, Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt, Piranha Plant

Replace Sheik as a Zelda rep with Skull Kid and maybe a character from the BOTW sequel
Remove a lot of Fire Emblem characters and replace them with Edelgard
Add a few newer Pokemon from Sword/Shield
Add Waluigi (if he doesn’t make Ultimate) as a replacement for Bowser Jr.
Then add new Third Party fighters: Geno, Spyro, Rayman, Doom Slayer, Travis Touchdown, Shantae.

DarkSim01

link3710

@StephanDLW Honestly nothing. Lucas has just been one of my mains since his introduction, and I don't want him to get cut again for Ness. Though, that's most of my mains. Wolf, Lucas, Young Link, Dr. Mario, Banjo-Kazooie, Duck Hunt, Pokemon Trainer (mainly Ivy), Dark Samus, Dark Pit, Mr. Game and Watch, Mii Gunner, Bayonetta and R.O.B. I'm not expecting any to survive into the next game. So Lucas being chosen over Ness would be nice, so I at least get a single character back.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

DarkSim01

@StephanDLW Interesting is what I was going for, so thanks! While I agree that a ton of fans would be upset by some removals (I even removed some of my favorites, Villager, Chrom, Dark Samus, Young Link, Snake), I doubt it would really hurt sales. This game is so popular, the vast majority of fans would still buy it.

I really think Ultimate is basically going to be the culmination of Smash up to this point, the Sakurai era, and we will have one of two things in the future: constant updates to Ultimate, making it the last Smash game ever or a "reboot" of sorts like I mentioned above, with a new creative director at the helm. If we get the latter option, I think you'll see a lot of the "excess" characters removed and a new generation of characters join.

DarkSim01

SKTTR

Sakurai's love for Smash brought him to work on it for the last 8 years. And he announced that Ultimate will continue to grow bigger after the Fighters Pass.

This game is exceptionally big already. With a game of this caliber I can see it being ported over to the next gen, only having more fighters, modes, stages, instead of having a new director doing things from scratch and very differently.

One one hand people are satisfied with Smash Ultimate, on the other hand they want more from it.

Edited on by SKTTR

backloggery.com/SKTTR

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic