Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Posts 3,841 to 3,860 of 3,884

link3710

@SKTTR Ah no, those were my list of likely candidates for the next spot. Starting from the character after them onwards a lot of characters like Rayman, anyone from Square Enix, etc will all be back and available again as options.

Still, those are some great choices even if I have my doubts at Frisk showing up. Don't get me wrong, I'd be super happy, but it's hard to imagine it happening.

As for Sora, he could always be in Final Form for Smash, wielding Oblivion and Oathkeeper instead of Kingdom Key if that keychain really is a dealbreaker. I have my doubts that a mere depiction of a hidden Mickey is out though, his rules seem to pertain more to characters, ATs, stages, items, etc. Major things, not a vague reference.

For Maria, I'm pretty sure Treasure solely owns her is the general consensus online. Square Enix has responded to inquiries claiming cluelessness as to what it even is, and Nintendo hasn't featured even a sticker in Brawl, so chances are they don't have the rights. Of course, it's currently a mess since the game didn't rerelease on VC for some reason, so the only people who could clear it up for certain are Treasure.

link3710

DarkSim01

@SKTTR Sorry for the late response. I had a long weekend. We did a cookout and I smoked nine racks of pork ribs, plus some beef ribs and fried two chickens. It wore me out.

We'll just chalk the Crash stuff up to a difference of opinion.

I'm going to catch up on the rest of the discussion now.

DarkSim01

Grumblevolcano

@SKTTR I'd say the only one that's solely for promo is Joker.

DQ Hero is more like if a music game releases a 4 song DLC pack of a classic artist with the pack containing 3 big hits and a song from an upcoming album. The DLC pack likely wouldn't be approved if the new song wasn't present but the hits will entice people to buy the whole DLC pack.

Banjo seems to just be picked for iconic status but it would be cool if this isn't the case and Microsoft announces a new Banjo game.

For Terry Bogard don't really know, I mean we have stuff like this:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/09/feature_just_who_th...

I don't think that has happened with any other fighter.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

SKTTR

Grumblevolcano wrote:

For Terry Bogard don't really know, I mean we have stuff like this:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/09/feature_just_who_th...

I don't think that has happened with any other fighter.

That's because NintendoLife is a regional (UK) site with the majority being European, North American, and Australian visitors. Its audience needs explanation on characters that they weren't exposed to before. The world is bigger than just ones own personal region. Back in the days, many of what we consider the best games ever skipped entire continents!

Just because you (not you personally) don't know of its legendary status doesn't mean it's never been huge somewhere else, fascinating people, and in fact growing in the last 28 years.

What has Nintendo to do with it? A quick research will let you find out that the first original Fatal Fury games were first ported to SNES and Game Boy! A deeper research and you'll find that Terry Bogard featured in almost 50 Nintendo releases and re-releases. And if we continue along that path we'll see that SNK released hundreds of Nintendo games since the NES days.

What has Sakurai to do with it? He played King of Fighters back then and it inspired him to make his own fighting game: Smash.
The two moves he showed after the Nintendo Direct are Terry Bogard's trademark special attacks and people all in and around Japan and South America jumped up through the ceiling.

link3710 wrote:

For Maria, I'm pretty sure Treasure solely owns her is the general consensus online. Square Enix has responded to inquiries claiming cluelessness as to what it even is, and Nintendo hasn't featured even a sticker in Brawl, so chances are they don't have the rights. Of course, it's currently a mess since the game didn't rerelease on VC for some reason, so the only people who could clear it up for certain are Treasure.

Thanks for clearing that up!

So Treasure could potentially still have a rep - with exclusive ties to Nintendo - ready for Smash with Marina Liteyears. But Mischief Makers is criminally overlooked and underrated (though in my opinion it's Treasure's best game ever and I love it to bits).

So what are her chances, when even Saki Amamiya, face of two of the best 3D bullethell shooters (and a Nintendo/Treasure-collab on top of that) is still not in the game?
Slim, unfortunately.

Edited on by SKTTR

backloggery.com/SKTTR

DarthNocturnal

Yeah, I think it might've been one of those fighters that led to his “not tailoring purely to the competitive scene“ stance. He's told a story before about how he beat some other player handily, and was all excited.... but then saw it was some people who were just trying to have fun, but ended up fighting against a serious player. He felt kinda bad about it.

Ergo, he's in no hurry to cater exclusively to the competitive scene (although 4 and Ultimate seems to have struck a decent balance).

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Grumblevolcano

@SKTTR Social media reactions are what led to Nintendo Life creating that article and that isn't just a UK thing. What I was trying to get across is it seems like a case of an iconic legacy back in the 90s that fell out of the mainstream and Terry Bogard in Smash brings the franchise back into the mainstream so it's like promo but not in the typical way.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

iKhan

No one else here has brought this up, so I might as well.

Scott Menville, Lloyd Irving's English voice actor, posted this on Twitter

ScottMenville wrote:

I wish I could tell you about this cool voice-over project I've been working on but they had me sign an NDA,
(Non-Disclosure Agreement)
or as I like to call it, a
"Nope, Don't Ask."

And a lot of the Tales fanbase went a bit crazy over it as a hint Lloyd might be in Smash. Personally here's what I take away from it.

1. Lloyd and Robin (Teen Titans) are by far the most well known characters Menville has played.
2. He would only make this post if he was involved in a project that has a significant existing fanbase.
3. There are 3 reasonable things this could mean. In order of likelihood they are:
a. Teen Titans S6 (this has been hinted at repeatedly)
b. Menville is working on a revival of a popular classic show or game that he wasn't involved in previously (e.g. a revival of Batman Beyond)
c. Something with Lloyd Irving. Could be Smash, could be a role in Tales of Arise, could be another sequel to Tales of Symphonia.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

SKTTR

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@SKTTR Social media reactions are what led to Nintendo Life creating that article and that isn't just a UK thing. What I was trying to get across is it seems like a case of an iconic legacy back in the 90s that fell out of the mainstream and Terry Bogard in Smash brings the franchise back into the mainstream so it's like promo but not in the typical way.

I don't mean a UK thing, but a region thing in general. It's just that NL caters more to certain regions than others.
There are huge regions oblivious to the series, and there are huge regions where the series is like a household item, where not much else comes that close in terms of gaming.

My region was oblivious for Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, and EarthBound, for the longest time, can you believe that?

And even in the 90ies real gamers knew about the King of Fighters games from multiplatform magazines that covered these expensive NEO GEO games. It stood out, with graphics that shattered SNES capabilities. But the games were too expensive here to reach mainstream appeal. Those games were for the core gamers. SNK wasn't afraid to put out mega-cartridges! It was even a selling point. The bigger the cartridge the better the graphics of the game! The cost of a cartridge was passed over to the consumer. Consumers paid more but also got more bang for the buck. Unfortunately on Switch, no one's getting that sentiment.

@iKhan

Great news.
With that in mind I should probably switch Tamagotchi back to Lloyd Irving as BANDAI NAMCO's next Smash fighter. Good riddance.

If it's true this is probably how Nintendo/Sakurai's RPG hierarchy looks like:

1. Pokémon
2. EarthBound
3. Fire Emblem
4. Xenoblade Chronicles
5. Final Fantasy
6. Shin Megami Tensei / Persona
7. Dragon Quest
8. Tales of (series)

Edited on by SKTTR

backloggery.com/SKTTR

Grumblevolcano

@SKTTR Yeah, Switch will be absolutely terrible as a retro system particularly the first Nintendo system to be terrible as a retro system (Wii U would be bad because of the Gamepad requirement for so much but Switch would be worse because of the cart problem). Hopefully Switch games just work on the next Nintendo system and the one after that, etc. as a way around that problem.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

link3710

@StephanDLW Oooo nice call. My top 3 ridiculous picks are:
1. Adeleine (Kirby) - Untitled
2. John Raimi (Geist) - Untitled
3. Garrus Vakarian (Mass Effect) - Untitled

Starkiller (The Force Unleashed), Papyrus (Undertale), Grovyle (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon), and Ib (Ib) are also characters that would kill me if they were released, but just frustrate everyone else.

EDIT: And Omega-Xis / Warrock from Megaman: Star Force. Just throwing that one in there.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

HobbitGamer

@link3710 Garrus is too busy with calibrations to be bothered by Smash. 😛

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

SKTTR

How about a 'Sakurai can be disrespectful' Top 3?

1. Saki Amamiya from Sin and Punishment

Sakurai was not only inspired by the series, he ripped off every bit of Sin & Punishment's gameplay and turned it into his own game, Kid Icarus Uprising.
Instead of getting the original characters, Saki Amamiya or Isa Jo in Smash, we got Pit instead (and Dark Pit, and Palutena). Saki got denied so many times. It's disrespectful for Treasure as a game company and developer (especially since they made other outstanding Nintendo exclusives like Mischief Makers). Total disrespect for the two best 3D bullethell shooters ever made (Sin & Punishment 1 & 2) by putting in his own flavour-changed copy first. Sakurai should not get away with this, he needs to set the record straight.

2. Andy from Advance Wars

The Wars series is the origin of any Fire Emblem game. It's a punch to the guts to every Advance Wars fan every time a new Fire Emblem character is added to Smash. We have 7 Fire Emblem characters but zero Advance Wars characters. What an unfair scenario we've come to!

3. Chibi-Robo !!!

Here we go again!
Chibi-Robo has 6 releases under his belt, the first 4 of which I rate a 10/10.
°°1. Chibi-Robo! Plug Into Adventure (Gamecube, 2005) 10/10
°°2. Chibi-Robo! Park Patrol (Nintendo DS, 2007) 10/10
°°3. Okaeri! Chibi-Robo! Happy Richie Ōsōji! (Nintendo DS, 2009) 10/10 - Unfortunately Japan-only.
°°4. New Play Control! Chibi-Robo! (Wii, 2010) 10/10 - Remake of the first game. Unfortunately Japan-only.

Chibi-Robo is co-produced by Miyamoto himself, and Chibi-Robo is the face of Skip, a long time Nintendo developer that produced other (unknown) gems such as Giftpia, Captain Rainbow, the Art Style series, and Snowpack Park exclusively for Nintendo.

Chibi-Robo, and Custom Robo characters as well, were denied because of a certain other robot that has only 2 games under his belt. They were kind of innovative, but not fun.
°°1. Gyromite (NES, 1985)
°°2. Stack Up (NES, 1985)
R.O.B. was only designed so that the NES looked like more than just another video game console, a stepping stone to get into the American market after the Atari disaster. However, all his games are better left forgotten, and even back then people rather played Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, or literally any other NES game that wasn't dependent on this piece of slow-moving plastic that made his two games a borefest to play. Chibi-Robo is the robot that should have been in Smash. Even Photo Finder or Zip Lash are better than all of R.O.B.'s output combined.

I say it every time: Chibi-Robo is a Nintendo all-star character and he belongs into Smash! His games are exceptional and ooze heart and soul in spades.

Honorable mention:

Elma (and/or Cross) from Xenoblade Chronicles X

I swear if Rex&Pyra get into Smash before Elma (and/or Cross), a hysteric bunch of people will make the internet explode for at least a week and I will be part of that rampage!

backloggery.com/SKTTR

Edelgard

Top 3 ridiculous picks?

Untitled
1. Metroid (Metroid)
Make it evolve and stuff

Untitled
2. Goose (Untitled Goose Game)
I don't even know how this would work?

Untitled
3. Navi (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)
Even smaller than Pichu, even more annoying. You know what you will hear when you taunt.

Edited on by Edelgard

A piece of the Triforce appeared before you! (>'.')> Touch it now!

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2624-1857 | Nintendo Network ID: Acegamer-62

Euler

While I think Piranha Plant already filled the novelty character spot, it must be pointed out that Navi is not a spirit or Assist Trophy. If those things deconfirm a character, that means she's still in the running.

Euler

Grumblevolcano

Next spirit board event is Daemon X Machina. It is interesting that both Fire Emblem Three Houses and Astral Chain got completely skipped. Of the Nintendo published retail releases since Smash so far:

NSMBU Deluxe/Super Mario Maker 2 - Plenty including returning stages, characters, spirits
Yoshi's Crafted World - Yoshi alt, spirits
Labo VR - spirits
Dragon Quest Builders 2/Dragon Quest XI S - DLC pack
Fire Emblem Three Houses - Nothing
Astral Chain - Nothing
Daemon X Machina - Spirits
Link's Awakening - Spirits
Luigi's Mansion 3 - Change to Luigi's moveset

Would be really cool if Edelgard and the Howard twins were DLC fighters.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

SKTTR

DAEMON X MACHINA fighter deconfirmed huh?
Well, if Marvelous had a chance, we'd probably get the Harvest Moon Farmer as a fighter.

Edited on by SKTTR

backloggery.com/SKTTR

iKhan

I like items on with low-medium frequency. 3 or 5 stock, hazards off with stage morph on.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Bankaj

2 stock with low-frequency items. Golden hammer, star etc are disabled. Smash ball is active, no FS meter. All stages in all forms go.

Guys, what are your thoughts for Little Town Hero to become a smash fighter eh?

Bankaj

link3710

Axe is almost certainly not going to happen, given Game Freak would probably refuse to allow it, wanting another Pokemon in the game instead.

link3710

Grumblevolcano

@link3710 I don't think Game Freak would refuse to allow it but rather as Nintendo's still picking the characters, Nintendo would choose a Gen 8 Pokemon instead if a Game Freak character.

Grumblevolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic