Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Posts 3,801 to 3,820 of 4,508

TheFrenchiestFry

I think Slayer is coming, but I doubt they're actually going to announce him in conjunction with Eternal's Switch launch date, especially given they couldn't possibly tie him into Eternal's release given he would've been selected as a DLC fighter before the game even launched on PC, PS4 and Xbox One let alone Switch. Then again, they still bundled in MGS4 music with the Shadow Moses stage in Brawl before MGS4 even released, and not even as a Wii game.

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

link3710

@SKTTR Well, I think part of it is... Not everyone sees Crash as a Sony icon. I've played a bunch of Crash and Spyro games, many of which were Nintendo exclusives. Spyro in particular has just as many good Nintendo exclusives (the GBA titles) as Sony ones (if you still consider those exclusives). I never really associated either with Sony, I barely paid the PS1 any mind and exclusivity ended after that generation. And anyone who started on the 6th, 7th or 8th generation of gaming (which is... A lot of people), never even saw Crash when he was a Sony icon.

link3710

Marioman2023

My ranking is:
1. Banjo and Kazooie (I know people will disagree, but I love them)
2. Steve
3. Piranha Plant
4. Joker
5. Terry
6. Min Min
7. Hero (1 saving grace is KaKlang)
8. Blyeth (ANOTHER Fire emblem?)

Bisexual disaster
he/him

Snatcher

@Slinkoy1 Makes sense to me, But that that thing he posted to hes twitter I think its crash bandicoot.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Snatcher

@Marioman2020 Why people have been wanting banjo in smash forever.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

TheFrenchiestFry

@link3710 Crash went multiplatform almost immediately after the original trilogy of games was finished. However, he pretty much was the closest thing Sony had to a mascot by far considering how heavily marketed he was coupled with those infamous commercials of him mocking Nintendo with the megaphone, in conjunction with the fact he was designed to be their answer to Mario and Sonic to the point where the first game's development codename was "Sonic's Ass game"

He may no longer be strictly associated with Sony but he definitely represents an era for that company in my opinion. He's probably the closest we're getting in Smash to a Sony character that isn't just a straight up Sony-owned character like Ratchet & Clank or Sackboy. Cloud and Joker are definitely more commonly associated with PlayStation in particular, but Final Fantasy was one prime example of a major third party franchise beginning on Nintendo systems, and Megami Tensei is very much the same despite mainline Persona's non-existent Nintendo presence.

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

link3710

@TheFrenchiestFry My point was more that it's perfectly valid for anyone to want Crash in Smash. Like yeah, he was apparently heavily linked to Don't for a few years, but the original claim I was replying to that it makes no sense for anyone to want him in Smash was bogus.

link3710

Snatcher

I much as I like crash I bet they are going to add chibi-robo, this is kinda a joke bc I don't care if he is in or not but adding him is like a smash bros thing to do, It would be cool to get another game but I don't really thunk he is going to happen but if he does just know I said it!

Grumblevolcano

Back in the PS1 days, Sony didn't really have much 1st party support. They just bought long term exclusivity for big 3rd party releases (or in some cases Nintendo's decision to use cartridges instead of discs with the N64 pushed big 3rd parties away) and that's why the vast majority of Playstation icons back then aren't exclusive anymore.

PS4 is by far the strongest era of Playstation 1st party releases.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Marioman2023

@Snatcher
When I say I love him, I mean his moveset (I've never played the games, don't have an xbox or a N64) But he's a joy to play in smash

Bisexual disaster
he/him

Snatcher

@Marioman2020 Oh ok.

SKTTR

Snatcher wrote:

I much as I like crash I bet they are going to add chibi-robo, this is kinda a joke bc I don't care if he is in or not but adding him is like a smash bros thing to do, It would be cool to get another game but I don't really thunk he is going to happen but if he does just know I said it!

I love Chibi-Robo and he always gets my vote.

There are some (famous) Nintendo characters from very talented studios not being represented yet by a single fighter.

Chibi-Robo is Skip's mascot. There are 6 different Chibi-Robo releases, the first four games being triple AAA imo, and the latest one including an amiibo. Skip also made a range of ingenious and very innovative and fun games: Giftpia (Gamecube), Captain Rainbow (Wii), Art Style (6 WiiWare games), Snowpack Park (WiiWare), Bit Generations (GBA), etc.

Saki Amamiya is Treasure's mascot (Sin and Punishment 1 & 2 for N64 and Wii / Nintendo Railshooter rep). They are known for being masters of bullet hell. They also made Ikaruga (Gamecube/Switch), Mischief Makers (N64), Bangaio (N64), Gunstar Heroes (Wii VC), Alien Soldier (Wii VC), Dynamite Headdy (Wii VC), Light Crusader (Wii VC), etc.

Golden Sun Isaac and Waluigi are Camelot's mascots. There are 3 Golden Sun games, and they also made all the Mario Tennis and Mario Golf games since 1999.

Kyle Hyde is CING's mascot (Detective/mystery game rep). They make great atmospheric point & click adventures like Another Code/Trace Memory (DS), Another Code R (Wii), Hotel Dusk 1 & 2 (DS).

Doshin is Param's mascot (Godsim/64DD rep) A weird one who can terraform stages.

There are three cult 3rd parties also very overlooked:

• Wonder Boy is Westone's mascot. He is the ''father'' of games like Adventure Island and Shantae.
  • Bubble Bobble and Space Invaders are Taito's mascots. Those are true icons if I ever saw one.
  • The farmer Pete is Harvest Moon's mascot. Farming game / Natsume rep. From 1996 on SNES onwards, it turned into a huge genre nowadays, inspiring games such as Stardew Valley and many others.

And if I can have an Activision Blizzard rep, it wouldn't be Crash or Spyro.
I see Pitfall Harry as an icon for Activision and a Warcraft Ork as an icon of Blizzard.

PS. What is Sakurai's opinion about Dark Souls? FROM SOFTWARE has no rep either.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

jump

SKTTR wrote:

Snatcher wrote:

I love Chibi-Robo and he always gets my vote.

There are some (famous) Nintendo characters from very talented studios not being represented yet by a single fighter.

Chibi-Robo is Skip's mascot. There are 6 different Chibi-Robo releases, the first four games being triple AAA imo, and the latest one including an amiibo. Skip also made a range of ingenious and very innovative and fun games: Giftpia (Gamecube), Captain Rainbow (Wii), Art Style (6 WiiWare games), Snowpack Park (WiiWare), Bit Generations (GBA), etc.

Saki Amamiya is Treasure's mascot (Sin and Punishment 1 & 2 for N64 and Wii / Nintendo Railshooter rep). They are known for being masters of bullet hell. They also made Ikaruga (Gamecube/Switch), Mischief Makers (N64), Bangaio (N64), Gunstar Heroes (Wii VC), Alien Soldier (Wii VC), Dynamite Headdy (Wii VC), Light Crusader (Wii VC), etc.

Golden Sun Isaac and Waluigi are Camelot's mascots. There are 3 Golden Sun games, and they also made all the Mario Tennis and Mario Golf games since 1999.

Kyle Hyde is CING's mascot (Detective/mystery game rep). They make great atmospheric point & click adventures like Another Code/Trace Memory (DS), Another Code R (Wii), Hotel Dusk 1 & 2 (DS).

Doshin is Param's mascot (Godsim/64DD rep) A weird one who can terraform stages.

There are three cult 3rd parties also very overlooked:

• Wonder Boy is Westone's mascot. He is the ''father'' of games like Adventure Island and Shantae.
  • Bubble Bobble and Space Invaders are Taito's mascots. Those are true icons if I ever saw one.
  • The farmer Pete is Harvest Moon's mascot. Farming game / Natsume rep. From 1996 on SNES onwards, it turned into a huge genre nowadays, inspiring games such as Stardew Valley and many others.

And if I can have an Activision Blizzard rep, it wouldn't be Crash or Spyro.
I see Pitfall Harry as an icon for Activision and a Warcraft Ork as an icon of Blizzard.

PS. What is Sakurai's opinion about Dark Souls? FROM SOFTWARE has no rep either.

I'd never imagine Chibi Robo would be called an AAA series.

I think you're throwing around the word mascot too liberally. For example Doshin The Giant was a meh game from a now defunct company that made very few games.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

link3710

@Snatcher Chibi-Robo will never happen, because Skip Ltd died. They no longer exist, and Chibi-Robo will never get another game or even port ever again outside of an emulated release a la VC/NSO.

@SKTTR Sane I said above goes for Kyle Hyde and Cing.

link3710

TheFrenchiestFry

Chibi Robo is FAR from a AAA series. Outside the first game I don't think any of the future titles actually sold that well and now there are strong indications that Skip is actually about to shut down and cease their operations. He is the very opposite of AAA in fact. He ain't even on Fire Emblem or Xenoblade's level let alone Mario, Zelda, Pokemon or Animal Crossing

TheFrenchiestFry

link3710

@TheFrenchiestFry To be fair, Chibi-Robo's poor sales more had to do with a terrible series of marketing decisions than anything about the game's quality. After all, AAA is about the budget of the game, not what it sells.

Though, I doubt Chibi-Robo passes that threshold either.

link3710

SKTTR

EarthBound didn't sell well either, and Ness is a an original Smash Bro., even accompanied by Lucas, and several other cameos.
Chibi-Robo and EarthBound have in common that there are people thinking their games are masterpieces and Chibi-Robo as a Smash fighter is wanted since Brawl.
The same goes for Golden Sun Isaac (wanted since Brawl) and Sin and Punishment Saki (wanted since 64). Otherwise those characters wouldn't be the first ones to have Mii costumes.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Snatcher

I kinda really want chibi robo in smash now I'm rooting for him.

PikaPhantom

@SKTTR If Wonder Boy was given a representative, would they favor the first game, The Dragon's Trap (for being the arguably most iconic), Asha in Monster World (because of the remake happening), or heck, even Monster Boy (technically the most recent game in the series and also the only one I own)? Definitely not a clear choice.

The music would be outstanding, though, especially between the remake of Dragon's Trap and Monster Boy

PikaPhantom

Toy_Link

SKTTR wrote:

EarthBound didn't sell well either, and Ness is a an original Smash Bro., even accompanied by Lucas, and several other cameos.
Chibi-Robo and EarthBound have in common that there are people thinking their games are masterpieces and Chibi-Robo as a Smash fighter is wanted since Brawl.
The same goes for Golden Sun Isaac (wanted since Brawl) and Sin and Punishment Saki (wanted since 64). Otherwise those characters wouldn't be the first ones to have Mii costumes.

The Mother series with 2 releases had already sold 700,000+ units in Japan alone by the time that Smash 64 came out. And after the release of Mother 3, it's a 1 million+ series just in Japan.

Chibi Robo over the course of 5 retail releases (counting the rerelease on Wii) have not managed anywhere near that number in Japan being closer to around ~450,000 for the series.

Maybe the Chibi Robo series by now has outsold Earthbound's disappointing US sales? Maybe?

Chibi Robo series has outsold Earthbound by default everywhere else in the world. LOL

Mother and Chibi Robo are no way comparable in terms of units sold.

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic