Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Posts 3,641 to 3,660 of 4,507

kkslider5552000

TheFrenchiestFry wrote:

Man there's like this one dude in the comments whining about Steve's lack of character

Imagine thinking a lack of characterization is a problem for Nintendo

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

TheFrenchiestFry

@kkslider5552000 lmao Nintendo actively gets away with not giving their characters an actual character

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

TheFrenchiestFry

I genuinely still think there's a chance a Bethesda character will get into this Fighters Pass

Not even just because of the Vault Boy Mii Costume, but Steve specifically rejuvenated my hopes considering he's technically the second character owned by Microsoft and Mojang was still capable of getting their own seperate trademark like Rare and Atlus

That and a WRPG character has every reason to stand out in a roster filled with characters from Japanese-made RPGs, given how different Western ones are in scope, characters, gameplay and storytelling.

Also the one genre yet to be properly represented in Smash is FPS games, and I can't see them doing Master Chief. DOOM is literally perfect given how it is basically the franchise that put the genre on the map and cemented its staying power after Wolfenstein conceptualized it

I've been a long time advocate for DOOM Slayer and Dragonborn/Dohvakiin specifically

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

kkslider5552000

For the record, I was 100% certain Minecraft was happening at some point. I wasn't sure it was gonna be now, but there was no doubt someday there'd be something Minecraft in Smash eventually. It was pretty much inevitable as far I'm concerned.

Like I wanna say half of the 3rd party series represented in Smash have sold less than this one Smash Bros game, and now its added a game that has outsold the entirety of the Super Smash Bros series. Think about how huge of a gap that is.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

TheFrenchiestFry

@kkslider5552000 Hell it's even outsold a good portion of first party exclusives from all three major console manufacturers combined. It's the literal definition of a cultural phenomenon. Minecraft makes Pokemon look like SMT with how successful it is as a multimedia franchise.

TheFrenchiestFry

Grumblevolcano

Given that the short video today was because the full presentation is just before Minecraft Live, I think Steve will be released within the next few weeks and then:

• February 2021 - Monster Hunter (promotion for Monster Hunter Rise)
  • May 2021 - Fire Emblem character (promotion for a Fire Emblem remake)
  • September 2021 - Crash Bandicoot (promotion for Crash Bandicoot 4)
  • December 2021 - Rex (ending the pass on a very strong note)

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

PikaPhantom

Apparently, Steve has been a couple of years in the making, which has interesting implications about the November 2019 Mii costume leak including a Cacodemon Mii hat and a Mallow outfit. I think Doom Slayer and Geno are happening

PikaPhantom

TheFrenchiestFry

@Grumblevolcano I doubt they're doing another Fire Emblem character after Byleth honestly. Sakurai has been vocal about his awareness surrounding the fatigue of Fire Emblem characters in the roster anyway. Byleth was probably unique enough to warrant an inclusion, but Chrom was definitely just a result of both him being scrapped from Smash Wii U, and demand from the playerbase.

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

@PikaPhantom My screams will literally overpower the sound systems in my house if either Dragonborn or DOOM Slayer get in. In particular DOOM has so much potential for representation in terms of spirits, music and stages.

TheFrenchiestFry

link3710

@TheFrenchiestFry If we get the Doomslayer, I hope we get his classic 6 pack baring armor as an alt alongside the modern armor.

link3710

TheFrenchiestFry

@link3710 Oh for sure. His default will probably be the Praetor Suit from 2016, but his second alt will probably be the classic DOOM Guy armor with the exposed 6 pack, as well as alts representing his multiplayer colors from DOOM 2016. Maybe even color homages to the various demons as well

TheFrenchiestFry

Eel

I think elements from the doom series would need to be toned down a bit too much to fit the game.

That could be bad.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Toy_Link

@TheFrenchiestFry
I haven't seen the comments in question, but does he mean a lack of emotion? Because that is true, I think Steve is the first character in Smash without some type of facial animations or voice clips other than ROB.

Not saying that's bad, actually make shim stand out a bit from the rest of the roster.

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

Grumblevolcano

I think if we get any Bethesda content this pass it'll be Mii costumes alongside Steve given Bethesda's part of Xbox Game Studios now.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

TheFrenchiestFry

@Toy_Link No he's said stuff like "a rock has more character than Steve" so clearly he's talking about both personality and expressions in general

TheFrenchiestFry

Bankaj

I'm still severely confused by the Echo Fighters. Seems to me they could've gone for alternate costumes instead (Bowser Jr as perfect example).

It raised my hope for another 10+ fighters getting in via this way, but alas, we are left with only a few and no inclusion whatsoever in the DLC. Seems like a missed opportunity to me.

Bankaj

TheFrenchiestFry

@Grumblevolcano So is Mojang. Steve is technically Microsoft's second character after Banjo, and like Rare and Atlus, Mojang were able to get their own individual copyright credits. Zenimax or Bethesda Softworks would definitely be credited seperately as well.

Also the acquisition itself isn't going to finalized until early 2021 so they're still third party for the time being.

TheFrenchiestFry

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic